March 28, 2024, 12:49:24 PM

Author Topic: Kelvin Jack Thread  (Read 37025 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kelvin Jack Thread
« on: August 30, 2005, 01:34:45 PM »
Q&A with Kelvin Jack.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

Goalkeeper Kelvin Jack is by no means ready to let the disappointment of having to play in a lower division this season deter him from extending his best hand in goal either for country or club.
The strong-body custodian got kudos from all ends following his gutsy display in last week’s 1-0 loss to the USA and he feels his current form should make it harder for opposing teams to score now, even while playing for Dundee in the Scottish First Division.
“It was a very difficult game overall and it started with the early goal. That goal left me shell shocked and I must admit I was really nervous after that,” Jack said. “Then I thought I saw McBride coming at the corner of my eye so I was in two minds whether to hit one time or touch and then play out and the ball ended up going straight to Donovan. I knew I had to close him down. From then on, apart from Dennis’ sending off, we got into the match but it wasn’t enough on the night,” Jack said.
“Overall I would always feel I could do better but we could have conceded more when you see that were weren’t scoring and some guys came up big defensive wise for us. It’s disappointing but definitely a showing we can take something out of for the remaining matches.”
Jack boasts of the fact that he has never played at the Championship level of local Secondary Schools Football and can stand proud today and be accounted as one of the country’s top professional players.
Jack began playing for playing for Trincity United Sports and Cultural club at age 10. Being a student of Holy Cross College he graduated and went on to o Yavapai College where he spent two years and described it as a “healthy and maturing experience”. “It taught me a lot about responsibility.
He then moved back home and joined Doc’s Khelwalaas in the inaugural season of the Professional Football League in 1999 before he moved to CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh.
Known as a serious competitor on the pitch, Jack also refuses to think that some may be intimidated by him off the playing park as well.
“Well everyone will have their opinion but most of my teammates would say that I’m a complete clown off the pitch. As long as I step on to that greens whether for game or training, I turn into different man,”

Q&A with Kelvin.

1.What’s your most memorable moment or match, whether for country or Club?
Making my national senior team debut in Palo Seco in 1999. It was a friendly. Edgar Vidale was the coach. And of course winning the Pro League with CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh in 2002.

2. Name two persons, whether relative or not who have been an inspiration to you.
Arthur “Jap”Brown my coach at first club, Trincity United and of course my family, my girlfriend Shelly who has always supported me. My best friend Jason Farmer.

3. Any favourite player or team?
Jean-Marie Pfaff from Belgium.

4.What would be your preferred other profession.
A Doctor.

5. What do you hope to accomplish either in next 5 years or end of playing career.
To become T&T’s greatest ever goalkeeper. And to play in the World Cup

6. Who’s been among your most admired coaches and why?
I would have to say Terry Fenwick because of his tactical brilliance and the high standards he sets for his team. And  “Jap”Brown. Also Leo Beenhakker …. very impressive thus far.

7. What do you think of T&T’s chances of making it to the 2006 World Cup.
Think we have an excellent chance with hard work and persistence, we shall make it.

8. Any instances or plays that you always reflect on.
I usually try to think positive thoughts because I believe when you do that, there’s only one answer -  a positive performance.

9. What’s the best piece of advice you’ve received?
Always believe in yourself from the late Arthur Brown.

10.What do you do to relax away from the game.
Spend time with my girlfriend and watch movies.

11.What’s your favorite dish?
Macaroni Pie, stew chicken and Roti.

12.Favourite drink?
Water.

13. Favorite time of year?
Christmas.

14.Most comfortable football boot and gloves?
Adidas x-trx softground, Selsport.

15.What was the high point for you this season as well as the low point.
Low point was the terrible time I had with injuries and high point is just being able to play again.

16.Favourite music?
Soca.

17. Favourite teammate"
Love working with Shaka just because we always bounce ideas of each other and we have similar ideas of goalkeeping, he’s that sort of guy and his experience is valuable.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Q&A with Kelvin Jack.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 01:42:12 PM »
Kelvin jack man..  Home bwoy really improve oui .!! Well done bredda man!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 02:39:47 PM »
I agree... I was vex like hell especially after the Mex game.. But de man was nothing short of superman against the US. I know 1 game doh make a player, but he show real potential then and he have the right people around to help him improve.....

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 05:59:35 AM »
he also had a solid gold cup
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 02:52:11 PM »
He played well against Mexico, the 2 goals were defensive lameness. However Jack needs to be more attacking and throw the ball up field or on the wings quicker instead of putting every ball on the ground and running and kicking. Even dunk the ball one time if he have to. Other than that he is an excellent shot blocker.

Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2005, 12:40:16 AM »
that was ah great piece...ah love how he included Jap Brown...he was we inspiration at Trincity United. that was ah team boy...stern john, kelvin jack...his brother nigel jack...kevin "maro" jefferies, kofi boxhill...we first year we beat so call big teams like prisons and airport authority. the sky was the limit after that yes!!!
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Kelvin Jack promises appeal.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2007, 06:20:09 AM »
Kelvin Jack promises appeal.
...to pay outstanding fees: Kelvin Jack.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).
[/size]

English agent wins suit.

Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup goalkeeper Kelvin Jack was ordered by the British courts to pay outstanding fees to English agent Mike Berry after losing a case which sought to contest Berry's claim.
Jack, who left CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh to pursue a professional career in Britain three years ago, was declared to be in breach of his contract with Berry while his counter suit was also dismissed.
Jack, who is now at Gillingham in the English League One, told the Trinidad Express in an earlier interview that his disagreement with Berry stemmed from an alleged clause in his deal stipulating he pay 10 per cent of his wages to the agent.
Last Wednesday, it was Berry who claimed victory after the matter was heard in a British courtroom, though.
Berry, who has handled a stream of local players including Carlos Edwards, Jason Scotland, Clayton Ince and Dennis Lawrence over the past eight years, insisted that his professionalism as an agent was beyond reproach.
"My professionalism as a licensed agent ( ) has never been in doubt and my record and my clients will testify to that," said Berry.
"What (the verdict) does is to right a wrong and show Kelvin that contracts are signed to be honoured and adhered to.
"I would also reiterate that he refused the offer of settlement to avoid court action."
Jack was defiant though and insisted that he would appeal. He attempted to downplay Berry 's influence on his career which saw him move from Reading to Dundee and, finally, to Gillingham and lavished praise on Jabloteh's English coach Terry Fenwick instead for arranging his first trials in England.
He claimed to be "amazed" by Berry 's perceived pride in the court ruling.
"It is not a dead issue by any means," said Jack.
"I have already started an appeal. To be honest, this is not about money at all. It is about principle."
Berry, who held a position on a Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) committee in the 2006 World Cup build up, said that he bore no grudges against Jack and was still available to represent the player "if he needs me".
Berry's ethics became a matter for public speculation this May when former Luton Town chairman Bill Tomlins said the club made an illegal payment of 44,500 pounds (TT$551,507) to the agent for arranging Edwards' move, on a free transfer, to Luton in 2005.
The club books showed a 51,000 pound (TT$632,064) payment to Berry but Tomlin told Britain's Daily Mail that the complete figure was closer to 95,500 pounds (TT$1,183,571).
"There were, at the time, a number of other clubs chasing Carlos," said Berry, in a previous interview, "so the way it was agreed I would be paid was 51,000 pounds plus an enhancement. I was not worried who paid me, just as long as I got paid.
"I spoke to my solicitor about it. I didn't declare this amount to the authorities, but accepted it as a consultancy fee."
Berry expects to be on the Football Players Association of Trinidad and Tobago's (FPATT) ethical agent list when it is drawn up and claimed that he was recently approached for assistance by another World Cup star and FPATT member Brent Sancho.
"My record in T&T will stand against anyone as Brent Sancho proved when he rang me last week," said Berry, "to help him find a new club and assist with his (work permit) after leaving my agency last December to seek pastures new.
"I am in constant touch with (FPATT president) Shaka (Hislop) and he knows my views and I respect his and I look forward to helping him and his new union in any way I can as its formulation is essential to the future of T&T football and the new generation of Soca Warriors.
"It is such a great pity that the recent launch was against a background of controversy and confrontation between players and federation as both will only prosper with cooperation, mutual respect and planning in my view."
Berry declined to give financial details of the settlement won in court while he consistently refused to confirm or deny whether he insists on being paid 10 per cent of a client's basic wage or accepts payment from players for helping process work permits.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 08:33:03 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Kelvin Jack promises appeal.
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2007, 08:46:06 AM »
Good come back Lasana. As I said, Lasana wrote what he was told by Kelvin, so no problem on his behalf. Kelvin on the other hand have to come better as all this will only get the TTFF stronger in their stance towards the money owed. He has to tell Liburd as it is so he can report the right stuff and in more detailed.

I hope Berry dose not take 10% from the locals who might be getting a chance to go aborad, they have to first become accomplished.

Is 10% the regular fee for agents ?

Berry made a lot of Carlos Edwards. I feel Berry should try and help out FPATT if he has T&T football at heart.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:33:27 AM by Sando »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2007, 09:53:26 AM »
Good come back Lasana. As I said, Lasana wrote what he was told by Kelvin, so no problem on his behalf. Kelvin on the other hand have to come better as all this will only get the TTFF stronger in their stance towards the money owed. He has to tell Liburd as it is so he can report the right stuff and in more detailed.

I hope Berry dose not take 10% from the locals who might be getting a chance to go aborad, they have to first become accomplished.

Berry made a lot of Carlos Edwards. I feel Berry should try and help out FPATT if he has T&T football at heart.

5%-10% is fairly typical in professional sports here in the US, but can be negotiated individually between athlete and agent, depending on the scope of the work to be done by the agent. Many don't just negotiate professional contracts, but coordinate a lot of personal and financial services as well, justifying their high fees.

Berry sounds more and more like a boastful, self-congratulatory ass...and there is something inherently unscrupulous about a middle-man who takes money from both parties. At some point his loyalty to the client he is supposed to be representing (the athlete) becomes compromised.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:45:58 AM by Flex »

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2007, 10:19:51 AM »

Berry sounds more and more like a boastful, self-congratulatory ass...and there is something inherently unscrupulous about a middle-man who takes money from both parties. At some point his loyalty to the client he is supposed to be representing (the athlete) becomes compromised.

Bake & Shark u're the 1st man to make a sensible comment on this case.

An agent owes a fiduciary duty to his principal, and is in breach of that if he makes a secret profit or commission off of his agency agreement without his principal's knowledge or consent. People are getting confused by the issue of percentage due under the contract, and are ignoring the allegation of double recovery on the agent's part.

The various comments I've seen on this forum in the past few days, now made me understand how JW was able to rob TnT blind for so many yrs.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:46:18 AM by Flex »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2007, 10:43:49 AM »
"My record in T&T will stand against anyone as Brent Sancho proved when he rang me last week," said Berry, "to help him find a new club and assist with his (work permit) after leaving my agency last December to seek pastures new.
"I am in constant touch with (FPATT president) Shaka (Hislop) and he knows my views and I respect his and I look forward to helping him and his new union in any way I can as its formulation is essential to the future of T&T football and the new generation of Soca Warriors.

Just a question as I am on no one side really.

If Berry so bad, why is Kelvin Jack personal friend Brent Sancho still calling him and Shaka too. ?

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2007, 10:48:51 AM »

If Berry so bad, why is Kelvin Jack personal friend Brent Sancho still calling him and Shaka too. ?

Sando and you heard this info from who.....Sancho? Shaka ? or Mike Berry through TTFF Press Secretary Shaun Fuentes when there is an action against TTFF of which Kelvin is one of the claimants.

And again, I think people are missing the issue, 5% or 10%, doesn't matter, FIFA and FA regulations differ on the issue and FA is supposed to come to a definitive stance next Jan. They both say however, that it is free to the parties to negotiate the %.

The % is not the problem though, the problem only arose when there was an allegation of dbl recovery. I am not taking sides either, but the wholeheartedly one sided statements by some forum members based on very little information is what is irking me

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2007, 11:11:01 AM »

Two things:

1) I'm taking everything Berry says with a grain of salt right now.

2) I doubt anyone is making the case that he is "so bad"...just that his dealings in THIS particular negotiations seem less than exempary.  So his 'failures' (if they are proven to be such) in this case may yet indeed have no bearing on his character or professionalism in general.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2007, 12:02:03 PM »
FLi we are all not legally trained like you . That being said the fact that Berry apear to be a Jack stooge would make everybody and dey brudder support Kelvin.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2007, 08:11:41 AM »
I believe that many things is available for free to players seeking contracts abroad and players from foreign countries are being exploited because they do not know how to go about the process or they are not directed in the right direction by the ones who have the experience.

I also believe agents can charge anything they desire, Berry fee is 10% which sounds high to me, I doubt he can pull that on the typical UK man.

Kelvin Jack, I hope you and FPATT help in that department for the future ones. Dont be like the other foreign T&T players who never got involved to help the younger ones coming up....

Hlslop, Sancho and Kelvin I wish you all the best with FPATT and I hope you get the right sponsors to help you survive for a very very long time.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline kentsoulman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2007, 05:10:01 PM »
I have no axe to grind either way, but I do have one or two opinions on the matter.

From my perspective as an English football supporter, I'd like to make these comments:

Without Mike Berry, many T&T players probably wouldn't have made the trip overseas. Not because of their talent (or lack of), but because no one in England really gave a toss about Trinidad &Tobago. Maybe Terry Fenwick improved the T&T profile, but I think without Mike Berry  the impact wouldn't have been the same.

Accepting the above statement, many T&T players looking to make the trip abroad would automatically approach Berry for representation, as he is clearly the "market leader" in obtaining clubs and work permits for T&T players.

Such a player as described above, would of course agree to Berrys contract terms, as, it would appear, they are standard terms for all players, and the player may well know another of Berrys stable who signed a similar contract.

However, once landing in England and realising that it is not common for English players to pay 10% of their salary as an agents fee, the player may well feel upset. Much in the same way that you would if you agreed a "standard" deal, only to find that it is not a standard practice.

10% of 50,000 per week is a lot of money, but you still have 45,000 to live on. 10% of 1,000 per week only leaves you with 900 per week.
In England it works this way= 1,000 less tax (approx 30% in this case) = 700 less 100 (Berry) = 600 per week. A modest house will have a mortgage of 1000 per month. (Rent would cost around 800 per month)  Please note, these are approx figures and have no relation to any specific players.  My point is, that 10% of your wage is a lot to pay at the lower end of the market, especially if none of your team mates pay their agents that way.

From a purely business sense, Berry has the right to charge whatever he can get away with, however, he must accept that this could be challenged in the future.

Is it also fair to be paid by a player and a club? See above. However, if the player is happy, thats up to him. But does the player realise he will be taxed on the amount paid to the agent by the club? The agents fee from the club is classed by the UK Inland Revenue as a benefit in kind. This means that although someone else paid the fee, the player received the benefit i.e. the agents advice and service. This is taxed at the players highest rate, usually 40% and takes around 18 months to filter through. There is a well known case of an Italian player moving to England without paying the agent, as the agent was paid by the club. The story goes that 18 months later, the player received a tax bill for 400,000. The agent was paid 1,000,000. 

So, in the case of Carlos, will he have to pay 36,000 tax on the 90,000 fee that Berry received from Luton? From the press statements, Berry admitted that some of the fee wasn't declared to the authorities. So, was Carlos aware of the fee? Shouldn't that 90,000 have gone to Carlos and then he could pay Berry what he felt was fair? 10% seems to be the favourite figure. Maybe Carlos doesn't care, but maybe he doesn't realise he will get a tax bill for 36,000.  Did Berry explain that to his client?

Mike Berry has cornered the market in T&T players, and hopefully, will continue to bring players over. He has intimated that he would be happy to work with FPATT, and that seems sensible for both parties, however, I would imagine that here would need to be some discussion as to the contract terms offered to players.

However, I would think that Berrys ties with Jack Warner and TTFF would need to be examined first. I do not see how a player could feel confident of his agents services if he is also paid by the players employer (TTFF or the LOC). I have no input as to Mike Berrys position regarding the blacklisted players and TTFF/LOC. However, I do not recall one statement from Mike Berry attacking TTFF for significantly damaging his clients careers. I don't know how many of the black listed players are represented by Berry, but I know that any agent with a player in the same situation would see his potential future income threatened and would make a press statement calling for the lifting of the blacklist and contemplating legal action against the Federation. So, I would like to see Mike Berry fight on his clients behalf and publically denounce the actions of TTFF. Of course, if he is still being paid by TTFF, that may be difficult. In which case, he should either reimburse TTFF and stand by his clients or reimburse his clients and support TTFF. It may even be the case that, as a member of the TTFF LOC, he actually voted against his clients.

What say you, trineeborne? You're obviously close to Mike Berry, can you enlighten us? Much like Jack Warner, you cannot continue to admire a man for his past accomplishments, when his current activities are questionable. Perhaps you can shed some light on Mike Berrys status re the above points, so that we, the uninformed, can decide ourselves who is to be supported in the future. After all, agents receive much criticism from all areas of football, but to see an agent come out to support his wronged client would receive unanimous backing and increase his standing amongst players and supporters immeasurably. 

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2007, 02:44:22 AM »

Post of the month in my view kentsoulman.

A comprehensive, balanced and impartial view of the situation..... :applause:

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2007, 06:15:08 AM »
excellent post

:applause:

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2008, 04:41:49 PM »

fresh new developments in this matter......stay tuned

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2008, 04:45:34 PM »

fresh new developments in this matter......stay tuned
please tell me dat Berry get banned ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2008, 05:08:28 PM »

the news relates to the outcome of this particular Court matter

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2008, 05:18:38 PM »

the news relates to the outcome of this particular Court matter
well I hope Kelvin gets exonerated then ;)

and Berry gets BANNED :devil:
check this point that KSM made
However, I would think that Berrys ties with Jack Warner and TTFF would need to be examined first. I do not see how a player could feel confident of his agents services if he is also paid by the players employer (TTFF or the LOC). I have no input as to Mike Berrys position regarding the blacklisted players and TTFF/LOC. However, I do not recall one statement from Mike Berry attacking TTFF for significantly damaging his clients careers. I don't know how many of the black listed players are represented by Berry, but I know that any agent with a player in the same situation would see his potential future income threatened and would make a press statement calling for the lifting of the blacklist and contemplating legal action against the Federation. So, I would like to see Mike Berry fight on his clients behalf and publically denounce the actions of TTFF. Of course, if he is still being paid by TTFF, that may be difficult. In which case, he should either reimburse TTFF and stand by his clients or reimburse his clients and support TTFF. It may even be the case that, as a member of the TTFF LOC, he actually voted against his clients.

What say you, trineeborne? You're obviously close to Mike Berry, can you enlighten us? Much like Jack Warner, you cannot continue to admire a man for his past accomplishments, when his current activities are questionable. Perhaps you can shed some light on Mike Berrys status re the above points, so that we, the uninformed, can decide ourselves who is to be supported in the future. After all, agents receive much criticism from all areas of football, but to see an agent come out to support his wronged client would receive unanimous backing and increase his standing amongst players and supporters immeasurably.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 05:24:22 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »
West Coast, to be fair to Mike, he has come out since then to state that FPATT are here to stay and TTFF and FPATT should sit down together for the benefit of football in T&T.

Its a shame more people involved in T&T football haven't made similar statements. Obviously there have been confrontational comments made by both sides stemming from the blacklisting and the up and coming arbitration, and that can never result in progressive negotiations. But statements like Mike Berrys act as a wake up call to both sides to remember that sooner, rather than later, they will need to sit down together and agree on certain issues.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2008, 06:10:44 PM »
West Coast, to be fair to Mike, he has come out since then to state that FPATT are here to stay and TTFF and FPATT should sit down together for the benefit of football in T&T.
ok bravo Mr Berry
Buh The man move REAL dread with players from TnT,
Actions speak louder than words and Berry sounds like his TTFF Boss...
What is even MORE amazing is that Jackula, a FIFA Vice President, none the less, will not give the same support.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2008, 06:17:10 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2008, 07:39:44 PM »

5%-10% is fairly typical in professional sports here in the US, but can be negotiated individually between athlete and agent, depending on the scope of the work to be done by the agent. Many don't just negotiate professional contracts, but coordinate a lot of personal and financial services as well, justifying their high fees.

in the NBA an agent cannot get more than 4 percent.

Offline PATRIOT

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2008, 09:41:39 PM »

I stand to be corrected, but to the best of my knowledge, MOST (exceptions were Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho) of the players represented by Mike Berry  REMOVED their names from the court action against the TTFF last year - Carlos Edwards, Clayton ince and Dennis Lawrence - and all 3 were later selected for the Gold Cup, but declined the invitations in solidarity with the black-listed players.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2008, 10:43:00 PM »
Patriot I believe u are correck and FLi give we d info
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2008, 01:48:52 AM »

I stand to be corrected, but to the best of my knowledge, MOST (exceptions were Kelvin Jack and Brent Sancho) of the players represented by Mike Berry REMOVED their names from the court action against the TTFF last year - Carlos Edwards, Clayton ince and Dennis Lawrence - and all 3 were later selected for the Gold Cup, but declined the invitations in solidarity with the black-listed players.

It does get confusing! Kelvin and Brent were no longer represented by Mike Berry as far as I can recall.  Dennis resigned and Carlos refused to play out of solidarity. They were both probably being loyal to Mike (and therefore the federation), yet also supporting the players. As far as I am aware, Clayton didnt comment and was available for selection, but the TTFF decided to go with all local based players. This was probably to maintain Claytons status in the squad. If he had played, I can't  see how he would of been welcome in the squad after the blacklist.

In a football environment, the last thing a player can do is turn against his teammates. If he does, he's soon pushed out, as it kills morale. Best option is to sit on the fence and not get involved.  But I'm sure there will be questions asked in the changing room over Claytons loyalty, as he didn't (to my knowledge) make any public statements. Maybe it was just his way of not getting involved??  Without doubt, his current form must mean he's the first name on the teamsheet in Feb.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2008, 09:12:35 PM »
FPATT u on sound Clayton get d call 4 Ash Wed

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2008, 10:20:27 PM »
Berry took secret payment
T&T goalkeeper Kelvin Jack vindicated
Lasana Liburd (Express)

Sunday, January 27th 2008

stopped payments: Kelvin Jack

Trinidad and Tobago 2006 World Cup goalkeeper Kelvin Jack was vindicated in the Leeds County Court earlier this month when Justice Walker ruled that English football agent Mike Berry took an illegal, secret payment from Dundee Football Club in Jack's transfer there in 2004.

The court decision was handed down on January 11, but the Sunday Express only obtained a copy of the legal transcript on Friday.

Berry, who handles a bevy of Trinidad and Tobago players including Sunderland star Carlos Edwards, Walsall goalkeeper Clayton Ince and the Swansea pair of Dennis Lawrence and Jason Scotland, successfully sued Jack for non-payment of agent fees.

The Gillingham custodian had argued that he stopped payments to Berry's Imageview Management company when he felt the agent breached his duty to him.

Justice Walker ruled that Berry had been dishonest and showed more interest in his own financial well-being rather than his client's. Dundee, who were in administration at the time, paid $37,708 (3,000) to Berry unknown to Jack, who had already agreed to give the agent ten per cent of his wages for the duration of his two-year deal.

Jack had asked Berry whether he received a secret payment and was told to "mind his own business". The court ruled that any payment which involved his contract was indeed the player's business.

"In my judgment, the very mischief of a secret payment to an agent," said Justice Walker, "is that the principal will never know what other deal might have been achieved.

"The agent thereby put himself in a position where his own interests and his duty to the Defendant conflicted, or at least may have conflicted."

Berry was ordered to pay Jack $28,280 (2,250) from the secret commission plus interest of $5,028 (400)-he was allowed to keep $9,427 (750) for helping obtain the player's work permit-as well as his opponent's legal fees to the tune of $98,040 (7,800) plus VAT.

However, Berry was allowed to keep his agent's fees for the duration of Jack's contract as his principal claim remained "undisturbed".

Jack expressed relief at the verdict which, he felt, vindicated his decision to fight his former agent in court and possibly rescued his own character.

Berry is under investigation in England for allegedly accepting $559,332 (44,500) in unauthorised payments for Edwards' transfer to Luton Town in 2005.

Jack alleged that, after talking to fellow British professionals, he discovered that most agents got money from clubs rather than their clients, while the established rate was around three to five per cent of one's salary. Berry asked for and received ten per cent.

Mike Townley was Jack's instructing attorney, while Roger Quickfall served as his advocate attorney. At present, Townley is also representing the 2006 World Cup team in their legal action against the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) over bonus payments from money generated by the Soca Warriors in qualifying for the FIFA world championships.

"I am absolutely delighted," Jack told the Sunday Express. "This had nothing to do with money because I spent a lot on this case. It was a big risk and I was advised that maybe it wasn't worth the risk but I felt it necessary because my character was called into question.

"I could have ended up close to quarter-million (T&T dollars) out of pocket."

Townley had mixed feelings, though. He felt the court erred in its financial judgment and has already convinced Jack to appeal.

"The judgment went entirely in Kelvin Jack's favour," said Townley. "The disappointing thing for me is that the judge failed to recognise the legal cost of this fundamental breach of trust. But we are confident that we will win the appeal.

"The message is that football agents should not be taking money from both sides under any circumstances."

Two other World Cup players appeared in the Leeds courtroom too. Defender Brent Sancho, a former client of Berry's, appeared on Jack's behalf, while Berry called Ince as one of his witnesses.

Justice Walker said he "did not find Ince a convincing witness" and "was not satisfied that he had a clear recollection of events which occurred more than three years ago".

Jack viewed Ince's appearance as a betrayal.

"I found it absolutely shocking," he said. "Me and Brent Sancho and a lot of the boys were stunned by that fact. If ever we become teammates on the national team again, it would give me more impetus to keep him out of the team like I did for the last couple years by performances on the pitch."

Ince, who was League One "Player of the Month" last November, is set to return to international duty on Ash Wednesday in a friendly against Guadeloupe.

Jack, who has not played for Gillingham this season, was first choice for the Soca Warriors at the 2006 World Cup, until injury sidelined him for the games against Sweden and England, but has not been invited to represent his country since.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2008, 10:22:37 PM by E-man »

1]; } ?>