April 24, 2024, 07:00:29 AM

Author Topic: Latapy must earn his pick, says Beenhakker  (Read 2545 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Latapy must earn his pick, says Beenhakker
« on: August 31, 2005, 01:02:49 AM »
Latapy must earn his pick, says Beenhakker
By Ian Prescott  (Trinidad Express)

NATIONAL coach Leo Beenhakker has hinted that former national captain Russell Latapy will have to prove himself, and will not automatically walk back into the Trinidad and Tobago national football team for Saturday's 4.30 p.m. World Cup qualifier against Guatemala at the Hasely Crawford Stadium.

Latapy, a 37-year-old Scotland-based midfielder, has agreed to come out of international retirement for two matches, the Guatemala encounter and next Wednesday's away qualifier in San Jose against Costa Rica. The "Little Magician's" return has come following the efforts of captain Dwight Yorke and FIFA vice president Jack Austin Warner.

But following an intense national team training session yesterday morning at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Beenhakker said that Latapy is somewhat of an unknown quantity and hinted that he has to see what the former national captain has to offer.

Asked if he thought Latapy could make a contribution to the Warriors, Beenhakker said: "I don't know, I don't know. When last you see him?

"I know he was a great player, but he didn't play international football for the last few years, and we all know that international football is a different world from national football, national leagues and so on. There's a difference in the matches we see every week in the Pro League and when we have to play the USA or Mexico."

Beenhakker said that many things will determine if Latapy still has what it takes to make a contribution. The Dutchman explained that football has changed and that every year the pace of the game is becoming faster and much more physical. Latapy's age and fitness are factors Beenhakker has to consider. But even so, the Dutchman will make no conclusions until he sees what the "Little Magician" can do on the field.

"I am very happy he's coming over. I have a totally white paper without any conclusions. There are no words, no letters on it. Well, we will see if he can help us. We will see in the next few days," Beenhakker said.

Yesterday's session had only half of the 22 players Beenhakker had called for training, but already among them were overseas-based Silvio Spann (Yokohama FC), Scott Sealy (Kansas City Wizards), Avery John (New England Revolution), as well as T&T-based Anton Pierre, Cyd Gray, Aurtis Whittley, Densil Theobald, Atiba Charles and Glenton Wolffe. Also lending his experience to the younger players was former captain David Nakhid, who is now a scout.

Beenhakker said that Saturday's qualifier is a game Trinidad and Tobago must win. He anticipates that the United States and Mexico will qualify, and that Costa Rica, Trinidad and Tobago, Panama and Guatemala have equal chances of earning the other two qualifying places to the 2006 World Cup.

"It's clear that it's a tournament of four. That way, I think we are still in the race. But, we have no other choice than to win this Saturday of course."

Beenhakker also admitted that there is some pressure to get a good result, but feels his vast experience has prepared him.

"It is only a healthy kind of pressure. If you ask me if it makes me nervous? No, it doesn't, 'cause I have 40 years in this and I play a lot of important matches. Of course, it is always on your mind, but as I say, in a good way."

He said the Warriors still have problems in the midfield and up front and that it's a continuous process to build a good team.

"Football is a passing game and we are still struggling with having much more ball possession and taking much more care of the ball. Of course, one of the problems we have now is that we have played six matches for qualification, and we only scored four goals. So we have to say that up in front we still have a problem."

Despite the lack of goals, Beenhakker defended the continued inclusion of Stern John in his starting line-up. The Dutchman said John's loss of form was typical of many footballers.

"Versus Panama he (Stern John) played a good match, Mexico also. Sometimes you have a rest period in your football. You have guys who have been on good shape for several weeks and then you don't see them for several weeks. But Stern is a good player. If he is in good shape? I don't know, because I have not seen him in the last few weeks."

Beenhakker also defended his decision to drop speedy United States-based striker Cornell Glen from the team. Beenhakker pointed out that even under Bertille St Clair, Glen was not found to be the solution up front. He said he cannot find a spot for Glen among his four strikers.

"In the Gold Cup I was not satisfied with him during the stay-in at the camp and so on. But once again, when you play a match you have a group of 18 players. And within these 18 players, you need enough defence players, enough midfield players and enough strikers. For the moment, I prefer Kenwyne (Jones), I prefer Stern, I prefer Scott (Sealy), and (Dwight) Yorke is a guy who can play more up front, and that is it."

« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 05:48:09 AM by Tallman »

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Latapy must earn his pick, says Beenhakker
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 02:13:18 AM »
Can Any one who in the "KNOW" and have solid INSIDE knowledge tell us what is the REAl deal with GLEN and DON Leo? Seriously.!!! Something smells fishy... >:(
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2005, 04:19:53 AM »
I have no problem with telling Latas he have to earn his pick but at the same time don't be a hypocrite and turn around and play men who have already proven that they can't pass, trap and shoot at the international level or others who are throwing away sitters and contributing nothing else.

I am a bit concerned that Beenie's obsessive focus on the defensive side of the ball will put Latapy at a disadvantage versus men like Birchall and Theobald in the middle.  But as long as he realizes that we need to open things up a bit and go for goals in this one I think Latas class will prevail.  I don't see him lasting a full 90 mins in that afternoon sun though.

I see he said something about not being staisfied with Glen during the stay-in at the camp.  Wonder if that means he was out breaking curfew, feteing and brushing skets etc.
His explanation of always starting Stern still leaves a lot to be desired though.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2005, 05:20:17 AM »
doh study he.....i went to see them train last night....and the king ( latas) was just stretching and a loose ball came bouncing near him....he trap it and pass it and don leo eye open up big big big...he watch he two assistants and i swear ah hear them whispering someting bout cryuff....don leo instantly sent latas back to the hotel and said " i have seen enough...your pick is guaranteed...you are special"....go and rest son...see you on saturday""......then ah wake up and was all a dream......hahahah....i just rileing allyuh early......but ah going to check dem train today......YEAAAAAAAAAA....ah feel good ( sung like james brown )....god bless TNT TNT TNT
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2005, 05:49:21 AM »
Big Magician- You will get a heart attack if Leo dont pick The King on Saturday.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2005, 05:55:52 AM »
doh stud it cochise...i for tnt first

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 06:03:20 AM »
Big Magician- You will get a heart attack if Leo dont pick The King on Saturday.

Yea boy..Smalls..keep an eye on pops boy.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:50:58 AM »
All this latapy  hype lets it paysoff i am so quiet on this issue
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline fitzinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 06:56:26 AM »
Everyone is questioning the decisions of the coach...and they have a right to, but in hi short stint here I think he has proven that he knows what he is doing and needs to be firm and resolute in his decisions...if he jump everytime one ah we get vex with he decision what kinda message dat go send...as "THE BOSS" say, " Anyone who has coached Real Madrid is SOMEBODY in football..."
 I just REAL excited to see my boy in the red white and black again, even if is just for two games...GO WARRIORS...I STILL BELIEVE!!!!

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 07:08:40 AM »
Latas going to take 30mins to convince Leo that he is the real deal

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 07:11:54 AM »
Thank you Ian Prescott.
I thought them journalists went on vacation.  But they need to prod him more on that Glenn issue.  Hell...they ever think to interview Glenn himself?

I hope Sealy look good in training cuz that the only way he go bump Stern from starting.

Good to hear he making Latapy work for the call up. 
Waiting on the pics from the training sessions.

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2005, 07:22:31 AM »
latas hasn't played international ball in years and must earn his pick like everybody else-if we go on past evidence and the form of the current players that should be easy for him to do after 1 session. but i ain't claiming him as the 2nd coming of christ yet and we still have other issues to work out.

as for glenn beenie right no room when you look at the other strikers. i would go with jones and sealy over glenn a yr ago and today. honestly this man has not impressed me at all.  first touch poor like really and truly he 1st touch like an elephant. just that he quick so sometimes he fast enough to recover it.

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2005, 09:29:03 AM »
When was the last time that we had a knowledgeable coach that seem to methodically think out his choices?  That cause say i did this because this...etc...
Beenie is a boss.....he coach real big time players and I'm sure the Latas situation is not a new one for him.

I sticking with Beeni fellers whether Latas start or bench...Stern Jon or not.....
I sticking with Beenie...because for ONCE it seem like we have a PLAN!!!

Sorry the spelling and gramma all over the place.....hope you get the point
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:36:29 AM by Tallman »
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2005, 09:53:40 AM »
who said we not sticking with beenie??

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2005, 10:54:08 AM »
This game is not like you wave a magic wand and things going to happen,when bsc was fired ppl breed a sigh of relief,Benie and his assistants got hired ppl started buying tickets to go to the WC,things don't work like that,this man according to his credentials and experience is a very good Coach,he came here without knowing any player which was very tough but at this stage he has seen enough to make his own decisions,as a Coach and a professional at that you don't go by what ppl think/say the decisions you make are yours because you are blamed for anything the team does.
      If you really look at what Benie is saying,if he don't know or have not seen Latapy play at any level he has a problem with that,there isn't much you can say to the man Coaches have their own beliefs/phylosophys,we know Latas he does not and that's the way it is,this is what you pay big bucks for take it or leave it,a lot of us been saying his job is to take us to the WC and that's what he is trying to do and doing it his way i guess.When i said BSC laughing ppl did not understand where i was coming from but this is pressure he could of never said he don't know if Latas will play.
        Any how lets cool ourselves and let the man do his job.   

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2005, 12:06:25 PM »
I would be surprised if Latas do start, you know how Beenie like to go with men he has seen and tranied with before.  However if he excels in training, ands shows he is still much better then the guys who been there, he may start.
I think Beenie belives in Stern as a footballer, who still has it, but is going through a drought, as opposed to some of us that see Stern as someone who used to have it and dont anymore.  Which is why Beenie sticking with him cause you never know when and you keep hoping its soon that he will break out.
Glenn got subbed in and scored a goal which Beenie likes, goal scoring, with K Jones out and still no callup I think there is someting more to this issue, maybe his attitude to training and or the team, or maybe Beenie think he could handle MLS but he not ready for Intnl ball period.

Offline UPRISING

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Justice is what de youths dem need overall..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005, 01:26:12 PM »
Beene knows what he is doing.  As a pro Latas WILL prove himself worthy of the start.   In my opinion, the only way Stern should get that starting nod is because of the fact that he has played with Latas before and would have some chemistry with the man, especially if Latas is aasked to run the middle from the start...

If Latas does not start and Yorke is then dropped into the midfield, Stern will still have to start because Jones is hurt...bottom line people is that it looks like we will have to endure another Stern John (first half)....Jones being hurt is a huge blow, beacuse we need a quick start..the lack of service / production from the forwards / mids is the reason that we tend to take 20 minutes to settle....

Ideally we run an attack of:

Spann
Edwards      Whitley
          Latas

Yorke        Sealey

But it will most likely be:

Spann
Edwards    Whitley
         Latas

Yorke        Stern

Oh gawsh why Jones gone and hurt himself?!?!?   

Imagine:

Spann
Edwards     Whitley
         Latas
   Yorke    De young gunna ... Jones

That's a 2-0 halftime squad easy easy..   whoever play ah backin tnt ... Beene is your squad Boss!! Do wha yuh want!!!!
"...de way dem deal wit Mankind all mih gyal start bawl.."

Offline football king

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »
If i was beenie i would start spann, latas and yorke in the middle
latas and yorke in the middle spell trouble for anybody in Concacaf.
losing jones is a hard one-that boy potential scary hope he realise it.

play 5 in the middle

1]; } ?>