April 25, 2024, 02:37:59 PM

Author Topic: Kenwyne Jones has relegation get-out clause  (Read 2729 times)

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Kenwyne Jones has relegation get-out clause
« on: February 10, 2008, 10:46:22 PM »
Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones has relegation get-out clause
Sunday Mirror
Paul Smith

Sunderland's hopes of retaining the services of star striker Kenwyne Jones depend on the Black Cats avoiding relegation.

The 23-year-old, who joined the Wearsiders from Southampton in a £6million deal last summer, has a getout- clause in his contract that can be activated if Sunderland go down.

Manager Roy Keane (right) recently said he wouldn't sell the Trinidad and Tobago striker for £50million. In fact, the Wearsiders' boss rated Jones in the very top rank of Premier League strikers alongside the likes of Didier Drogba.

Certainly, of all players Keane has taken to the Stadium of Light, Jones has been the biggest success. But the player will be able to leave for a fraction of his real value in the current transfer market if Sunderland make the dreaded drop in May.

Jones has been a revelation for the Black Cats this season despite the uphill struggle to survive. He has been an impressive, powerful front man, often asked to lead the line as a sole striker.

And while he has become a hero on Wearside, Sunderland are also well aware that the player's reputation has brought interest in him. As many as five Premier League clubs - including Liverpool and Tottenham - are believed to be keeping close tabs on him.

Obviously Sunderland will be opposed to any sale, but the option exists for him to make a speedy departure if the campaign ends in disappointment.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
Re: Kenwyne Jones has relegation get-out clause
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 11:15:30 PM »
Good stuff!  :thumbsup: Cause it will hurt us bad if his team go down and he "goes down" too.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 11:40:36 PM »
sunderland staying in de epl.i said it 1st.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 11:46:52 PM »
Kenwyne nuh go down dey..

Sunderland nuh go down dey..

I think that will be the chorus for my next dub plate...

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 03:10:56 AM »
I might be wrong here but I would seriously doubt it, its papers being papers.

I know he is one of your own and without him Sunderland would of been dead and buried without him, but a lot of people have forgotten that before this season noone in the prem wanted him the 2 interested parties were Derby and Sunderland. The likelyhood is  he wouldn't be at Sunderland if the Nugent deal hadn't of fallen through.

Ironically its sunderland suffering from injury and being poorly defensively that has helped KJ reputation no end this season.  He is without doubt one of the best in the prem with balls lumped upto him and his back to goal.  A couple games he has been unplayable, but in not as many games as he should be.  KJ is still relatively inexperienced as a CF and it shows on occasions and it will be interesting to see him playing with a decent midfield, certainly a fit KR, CE and AR would be a massive difference to sunderalnd.  He will need to change his game a bit and learn to play differently and I am sure he will. At the moment we haven't seen him because he hasn't had a chance to find himself space in and around the penalty area, he tends to be caught on his heels the couple of times he had a chance to do this so far, he looks a little lost when other players are attacking with the ball, he doesnt take a risk and run across the near post, he has a tendancy to get himself in the middle of the box and wait for the ball to be pumped into him.  He also lacks a little composure in one to ones but this agian is down to lack of experience.  A better partner up fron would also help him greatly.  All these things will come if he is willing to learn and has the midfield around him to create the space and chances, then he will be a hell of a player and will deserve to play for a top 4 side.

It will be interesting to see what happens if we are relegated as I said before I seriously doubt he has a clause in his contract, but rather will the club cash in on him is the more likely debate.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 06:31:43 AM »
Allyuh really believing what these British papers saying? They does make up stories when they bored.

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2008, 06:56:59 AM »

It will be interesting to see what happens if we are relegated as I said before I seriously doubt he has a clause in his contract, but rather will the club cash in on him is the more likely debate.

ah went ahead and edited yuh post, ah leave out all the fluff in the middle paragraphs and just stick wid de first and last ones. yuh had meh head spinning dis monday morning!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2008, 07:08:43 AM »
thanks fyzo yuh save mih

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2008, 07:17:09 AM »

ah went ahead and edited yuh post, ah leave out all the fluff in the middle paragraphs and just stick wid de first and last ones. yuh had meh head spinning dis monday morning!

is that less rum or more rum you need

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2008, 07:56:00 AM »

:rotfl:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2008, 08:50:55 AM »
The contract is probably set up to benefit both parties.

If Sunderland gets relegated jones probably has a clause that requires him to take a pay cut if he stays at the club.

On the other hand Sunderlnad has probably conceded  to let him go for a set minimum fee (probably around 10 M).

This way both parties are covered. If Jones is valuable enough on the open market he will get a move, if not he have to fight up and continue to prove his value at Sunderland.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 06:28:36 PM »
Every body jjust speculating!  Who knows!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2008, 07:53:01 PM »

nah good one, good one.....ah know yuh woulda take offence eh, but seriously go back and read tha post jed.....and by de way yuh boy stop drinking for de old Lent.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

1]; } ?>