April 28, 2024, 07:21:10 AM

Author Topic: Happy Independence Thread  (Read 57473 times)

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 50th Anniversary of T&T Independence
« Reply #150 on: May 03, 2012, 07:36:40 AM »
I am hoping for a series of programs that highlight nationals who would have contributed towards national development.

Forgetting for once, party politics, race and religon, this should be all about contribution towards T&T.

:beermug: agreed
whey boy!

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 03, 2012, 12:08:37 PM »
I am hoping for a series of programs that highlight nationals who would have contributed towards national development.

Forgetting for once, party politics, race and religon, this should be all about contribution towards T&T.

Well....from wha I hearing..a bit too late for that.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 03, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »

this should be the logo instead.

50 yrs of nothing but incompetence! real monkey banana republic business.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 03:24:10 PM by just cool »
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Trinidad and Tobago Independence Thread
« Reply #153 on: June 21, 2012, 11:17:05 PM »
Happy 50th Independence T&T, let's let 50 criminals loose on you in celebration!

As if we don't have enough criminals on the loose including in the government already!

Why not give out 50 scholarships to our youngsters instead?

Can this PP government do anything sensible for a change even for our Independence?

http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/PARDON__FOR_50-159965035.html

PARDON FOR 50
Volney: Criminals to be freed for T&T's Independence anniversary

By Ria Taitt Political Editor
Story Created: Jun 21, 2012 at 10:51 PM ECT

Fifty criminals are to be pardoned for the country's 50th Independence anniversary.

This announcement was made yesterday by Justice Minister Herbert Volney, who said in commemoration of the country's 50th anniversary of independence, Govern- ment is to recommend to President George Maxwell Richards that he pardons 50 criminals, who would become free people.

He was speaking at the post-Cabinet news conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in St Clair.

"The Government is going to announce, in the fullness of time, the pardon of 50 persons to commemorate (the country's 50th anniversary of independence)," he said.

Asked whether these persons had committed murder or other types of crimes, Volney said they were "worthy candidates, people who have spent all their lives in prison. It is on the recommendation of the Commissioner of Prisons, and it would be dealt with by the Mercy Committee, making the recommendation to the President".

He however assured that "we won't jeopardise public safety by releasing any dangerous person on the public".

The last presidential pardon was issued in May 2012 to Godson Neptune, 83, a graduate of the University of Caracas in Venezuela, who had chopped his wife to death in 1985. Neptune's defence was that he thought his wife was a snake. He later stated he was in an "alcohol intolerance condition" which caused him to do the most outrageous and dangerous things.

The notion and mechanism for pardoning persons exists in the Constitution. The Mercy Committee receives applications and considers the merits and justification of the applications and makes a recommendation to the President, who has the power under the Constitution to pardon anyone who commits and is convicted of a crime.

The committee is chaired by the National Security Minister and includes in its membership the Attorney General, the Director of Public Prosecutions and the Justice Minister.

Such a large number of persons has never been pardoned in one go although the Mercy Committee has, over the years, consistently met and made recommendations.

Volney said as the country commemorated 50 years of independence, there was a lot to be thankful for and to celebrate.

Contacted yesterday for comment, Prisons Commissioner Martin Martinez said he knew of the move to free the prisoners but did not wish to say anything further.

Volney also announced that his ministry was hosting the North Atlantic Commonwealth Law Ministers conference at the Hilton Trinidad hotel next Monday and Tuesday. He said the historic conference was commemorative of all that has taken place over the last 50 years in criminal justice in the country.

It would also serve to bring together law delegates from the Caricom region, as well as experts from different parts of the world, particularly, the Commonwealth, who would share the experiences of their respective countries since leaving the yoke of colonialism.

Delegates from New Zealand, India, the United Kingdom and Canada, Caricom, as well as local attorneys such as Senior Counsel Dana Seetahal and Gilbert Peterson, will address the conference. "We would be taking a snapshot of where we were in 1962 and the problems we inherited in terms of criminal justice administration at that time and the problems that have developed since then," Volney said.

He added there would be some bragging rights for the initiatives taken by the Justice Ministry, such as the Electronic Monitoring Bill and the legislation to reform pretrial procedures such as the Preliminary Enquiry Act and the attack on the backlog on trials.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 05:54:35 AM by Flex »
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Volney said as the country commemorated 50 years of independence, there was a lot to be thankful for and to celebrate.

Well, I'm fairly sure there are at least 50 families who won't be thankful, or celebrating.  :banginghead:

truetrini

Well, I'm fairly sure there are at least 50 families who won't be thankful, or celebrating.  :banginghead:

Not necessarily true.

What makes you beleive that only rapists, assaulter and killers will be released?

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
Dr. Hedy Fry celebrates Trinidad & Tobago's 50th Independence Day
« Reply #156 on: June 22, 2012, 09:20:26 AM »
Hedy Fry – Member of Parliament for Vancouver Centre, Canada

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jzTek8TIXQM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/jzTek8TIXQM</a>

Transcript of video

Canadian House of Commons
June 2012

Hon. Hedy Fry (Vancouver Centre, Liberal):

"Mr. Speaker, I stand to pay tribute to the land of my birth, Trinidad and Tobago, on its 50th anniversary of independence.

A small country of 1.3 million people, Trinidad and Tobago punches well above its weight in the Commonwealth and in the world.

Trinidad and Tobago is the original multicultural nation, its rich cultural diversity spawning renowned author like Vidya Naipaul and Nobel Prize poet Samuel Selvon; bringing to the world calypso, limbo and the only new musical instrument of the 20th century, the steel pan.

Through effective long-term management of its natural resources, this little island is now one of the wealthiest countries in the Americas. It was recently removed from the OECD's list of developing countries and named the third best place in the Commonwealth to raise a female child. I am one female grateful for the excellent opportunities Trinidad and Tobago gave me, as a child of poor parents.

On behalf of the Liberal caucus, I congratulate my fellow Trinnies on their 50th anniversary, and echo the last verse of the national anthem:

Here every creed and race find an equal place and may God bless our nation."
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The current government is full of gimmickry!

Why not give out 50 scholarships to 50 bright talented youngsters or something more beneficial to the country like that?

This is not as bad as their decision to call an SOE but it’s still ranking up there in dotishness and gimmickry!!

Can this PP government do anything sensible for a change even for our Independence to make me respect them as a government?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The current government is full of gimmickry!

Why not give out 50 scholarships to 50 bright talented youngsters or something more beneficial to the country like that?

This is not as bad as their decision to call an SOE but it’s still ranking up there in dotishness and gimmickry!!

Can this PP government do anything sensible for a change even for our Independence to make me respect them as a government?

doing the pardon thing is not new to Trinidad and Tobago. juss this time we don't need that pompous lady you call majesty to initiate it
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Not necessarily true.

What makes you beleive that only rapists, assaulter and killers will be released?

True. But whatever their crimes, there most probably have been victims of some kind. Then there may also be witnesses who testified against them. Finally, some of the criminals families may not be too pleased to have them home early.

I'm sure Volney will not be releasing mass murderers or serial rapists, but although this can be viewed as a humane gesture, in the midst of todays crime wave (murders alone are 5 higher than last year already) it could be seen as celebrating criminals! I'm damn sure there could have been over projects that would have met public approval. 

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
and in dis papayshow land nearly everything is a pappyshow....... Mr. Rudder is so prophetic.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
and in dis papayshow land nearly everything is a pappyshow....... Mr. Rudder is so prophetic.
David Rudder - Another Day In Paradise (Live 1995)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/_LQ2W1gwZKY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/_LQ2W1gwZKY</a>

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

There probably are many candidates for this.

Women that ended up being drug mules that may have served sufficient time to learn their lessons.

Murderers (crime of passion) on death row who are there for over 25 yrs and over 60yrs of age.

Young men who made mistakes like having a lil weed.

The prisons are overloaded as it is, so it may turn out to be a good move.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
50th Independence anniversary in Toronto
« Reply #163 on: July 10, 2012, 04:54:56 PM »
I am not sure if a topic on the 50th Independence exists on this website. Lets use this to exchange information on events and discuss any 50th Independence related news.

On a side note... I currently live in Toronto and have noticed that little is being said about our Independence. There seems to be a lot of events for Jamaica's 50th Independence in Toronto. There are also articles and other types of literature available for Torontonians who want to know something about it. If anyone is involved with doing the same for Trinbago's 50th Independence in Toronto, let me know. I think it will be great if we can educate the wider community about our Independence as well.

Hats off to our Jamaican brothers and sisters for making their 50th anniversary visible for the people in Toronto.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 50th Independence anniversary in Toronto
« Reply #164 on: July 12, 2012, 04:56:13 PM »
Smh...

I am pretty sure there are many Trinbagonians on this site who live in Toronto. I am so disappointed that they do not have much to contribute on a topic like this, but have a lot to contribute when it comes to the blasted "Turtle tragedy" or topics on Caribana fetes and limes. Thought that this would have generated a lot of discussion.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:18:37 PM by gawd on pitch »

truetrini

« Reply #165 on: July 12, 2012, 04:59:10 PM »
I am pretty sure there are many Trinis on this site who live in Toronto. I am so disappointed that they do not have much to say about this, but have a lot to say on the blasted "Turtle tragedy" or about the Caribana fetes and limes. I find it so sad that the 50th anniversary in Toronto is not even being taken serious by many members in our Community. Is this a sign of lack or pride or lack of knowledge? or Both?

The celebrations shoud have been cordinated by the T&T Consulate.   With some input from civic groups and businesses catering to T&T nationals.  Talk done.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 05:00:42 PM by truetrini SC »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 12, 2012, 05:26:54 PM »
I am pretty sure there are many Trinis on this site who live in Toronto. I am so disappointed that they do not have much to say about this, but have a lot to say on the blasted "Turtle tragedy" or about the Caribana fetes and limes. I find it so sad that the 50th anniversary in Toronto is not even being taken serious by many members in our Community. Is this a sign of lack or pride or lack of knowledge? or Both?

The celebrations shoud have been cordinated by the T&T Consulate.   With some input from civic groups and businesses catering to T&T nationals.  Talk done.

Youre right TT. But you have to see the difference between the Jamaicans and Trinbagonians when this comes up. I find that more of my Jamaican friends are participating in the celebrations more than my Trinis friends. I know a lot of it is media driven (White people just love Jamaica).

truetrini

« Reply #167 on: July 12, 2012, 05:35:29 PM »

Youre right TT. But you have to see the difference between the Jamaicans and Trinbagonians when this comes up. I find that more of my Jamaican friends are participating in the celebrations more than my Trinis friends. I know a lot of it is media driven (White people just love Jamaica).

Successive T&T governments have failed the people, failed the people, failed the people.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 12, 2012, 08:50:18 PM »
I know TT. But I can just watch on the sidelines. There is a reason for this complacency. It so sad. We Trini have lots to be proud of. I think its about time we take responsibility of telling we story. A lot of it is racial apathy too. Time to overcome it.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 13, 2012, 05:22:43 AM »

You hit the nail on the head, it is media driven and a more co-ordinated effort from what ever jamaican entity that is funding their celebrations
I think I understand your frustration but any product/event etc that garners more 'air' time than another will always be assumed to be bigger or better?

Other than an equal media response from the T&T consulate or Trinbagonians in general, I'm not sure what you're expecting

In years past T&T independence day celebrations have always been very well attended at Queens Park, L'ameroux park and/or various minor venues throughout the city..they even have celebrations out in Brampton and Hamilton
The news outlets that cater to the caribbean community will continue broadcast what and where to find what would be of interest to you for the 50th

From my personal perspective, I tend to be very conservative on the ethnic overload, I could care less about the queen jubilee or Ghana Indep day, the sikh festivals,Latin week, Portugal day, Chuseok, Ukranian week etc ...  and the plethora of other celebrations that compete for attention in a city as ethnically enriched as Toronto
I eh vex wit de people, leh dem enjoy deyself but I'm not overly concerned with what others are doing.

Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 13, 2012, 08:04:56 AM »
In regards to the Jamaicans doing their thing

a lot of what is happening in around Toronto is being done by individual groups and promoters... probably with the blessing of their consulate. For example, a good friend of mine is bringing up Freddie McGregor in August for a show in Hamilton as part of the celebrations (now bear in mind that any promoter who does related work, will try to tie in any sort of thing they're doing with the Jamaican celebrations.. simple marketing). (we're planning a bbq for a day after the event.. if you're a fan and want to meet freddie.. link meh and I'll see what I can do).

When you listen to radio stations like G 98.7 you'll hear a lot of promo for the Jamaican independence.. promoters with paid ads, Grace Kennedy is a big sponsor of that radio station (as far as I know) and they also sponsor a lot of Jamaican (and some Caribbean) events and I believe the owner of the radio station Mr Fitzroy Gordon is Jamaican as well.

There are events going on in and around Toronto with a Trinbagonian flavor, but from a marketing standpoint, many are on the Caribana (or whatf**kingeverit'scallednow) wagon as they've done for years.
Maybe after Caribana we'll see more promotions being done from the independence angle?

BTW, them fackers down at the consulate is the wuss.. fackup attitude, never seem to have a clear answer for anything and don't ever expect a follow up (as they promise) call from them. Even when doing potentially huge business.

Dutty is on point about the event at Queens Park.. nice vibe for sure.

Keep checking those Caribbean type newspaper you find at restaurants etc to see what's happening... I'm sure there are some events. Toronto-lime.com rebranded (was bought by club crawlers) and Carib101.com usually have a lot of event listings as well.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 13, 2012, 08:46:20 AM »

I am not sure if a topic on the 50th Independence exists on this website. Lets use this to exchange information on events and discuss any 50th Independence related news.

On a side note... I currently live in Toronto and have noticed that little is being said about our Independence. There seems to be a lot of events for Jamaica's 50th Independence in Toronto. There are also articles and other types of literature available for Torontonians who want to know something about it. If anyone is involved with doing the same for Trinbago's 50th Independence in Toronto, let me know. I think it will be great if we can educate the wider community about our Independence as well.

Hats off to our Jamaican brothers and sisters for making their 50th anniversary visible for the people in Toronto.

Sorry man, been there done dat.  It is hard to get everyone together when we're living all over de place.  As Jumbie say, doh even bodder to get support from the  TT Consulate with anything (yu swear yu putting ah gun to dey head).  Don't know how long yu on de board, but take it from me it was fu*kin hard wukk to get anyone other than the usual suspects to come out to a football tournament/family day, I can't even think bout de 50th Ann. at this point.  Anyway, we're you at the football tournament when we had it a couple of years ago??
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 13, 2012, 09:12:13 AM »
ah find the summer festivals in TO that do well are the ones organized around location - e.g. de event formerly known as caribana, taste of the danforth, etc. people know exactly WHERE to go for each of those events. taste of the danforth supposed to be about greek culture but dey selling any and everything there so is no longer about greek culture, its about de danforth. the beaches jazz festival - same thing. they playing all kind of music not just jazz and people still going strong cause dey like de locale.

and ting is trinbagonians scattered hither and yon around the city. look how jamaica have a strip along eglinton known as little jamaica. t&t eh have enough for a little trinbago yet. is about critical mass too.

so rock back and when man aks about 50th anniversary talk about de rolling stones  ;)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #173 on: July 13, 2012, 04:14:42 PM »
after vanetta calvin smith left toronto and sabga was gone, that was it for outreach and great events in the community, i had so much admiration for vanetta she was a great counsel general, the rest after failed

everyone studying caribana and the next fete and making money, alot of trinis don't care about independence sadly, thats a fact, im no longer involved with the high commission and consulate so i could imagine how bad their lapsing

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #174 on: July 13, 2012, 04:19:04 PM »

trinis run toronto and im not just saying that, if whitfield and them say they not doing mas, caribana done, if the promoters and djs who are trini pull out of the toronto scene, real big parties done. the fact of it is, without trinis in the entertainment, toronto is lame and has nothing to offer

our yardie cousins don't have anything in toronto to claim as their own, other than their independence, caribana is trini so trinis almost treat that as an independence day parade for trinidad and tobago, all the focus is there, still a sad excuse but thats facts

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 13, 2012, 07:13:04 PM »

Sorry man, been there done dat.  It is hard to get everyone together when we're living all over de place.  As Jumbie say, doh even bodder to get support from the  TT Consulate with anything (yu swear yu putting ah gun to dey head).  Don't know how long yu on de board, but take it from me it was fu*kin hard wukk to get anyone other than the usual suspects to come out to a football tournament/family day, I can't even think bout de 50th Ann. at this point.  Anyway, we're you at the football tournament when we had it a couple of years ago??

Hmm. Interesting. No , I wasnt the the football tourney. I did not even know there was such an event.

So true though..hard for Trini to come out. But we need that to change. On another note, the ethnic celebrations is important. Diversity is so sweet.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Part of 50th Independence Special on progress of different races in T&T
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2012, 06:54:11 PM »
What allyuh thinks?

http://www.guardian.co.tt/columnist/2012-07-18/emergence-afro-trinis

Emergence of afro-trinis
Published: Wednesday, July 18, 2012
Tony Fraser

How have Afro-Trinis as a group in their social-class sub-divisions fared in the 50 years since political independence? Have they advanced or regressed? That’s the question being asked in relation to the Afro-Trinis and all of the major ethnic groups in this series of reflective articles. To begin with Afro-Trinis, the answer requires an historical perspective.

Afro-Trinis emerged in the post-slavery period as traders, hucksters, freeholders of small portions of lands for provision grounds and for sale in the markets—and this was notwithstanding the determination of the British Government and its crown colony creation in the island to set minimum landholding levels for farming at over 300 acres to preclude the emancipated “Negroes” from becoming small farmers. It was a policy to ensure labour for the continued existence of the plantation and the metropolitan market. 
Segments of the population began acquiring something of an education through the arrangements (inadequate as they were) of the British Government to provide a level of funding for the freed population to begin to acquire the basics of an education and religious tutoring; the churches and missions were pre-eminent in providing schools.

To illustrate the point of the acquisition of an education, John Jacob Thomas, born three years after slavery was ended in 1838, emerged as the first black intellectual, perhaps the finest, of the 19th century and challenged the might of British scholarship and anti-black bias in Froudacity, his response to the bigoted interpretation of the state of the “Negro” by British historian James Anthony Froude.

Later in the 19th and into the 20th century, Emanuel Mzumbo Lazare and Henry Sylvester Williams were shining examples of the ability of the freed African to demonstrate the capacity to advance from the state of degradation, dehumanisation and subjugation. They both acquired legal qualifications, Lazare from the local base and Williams in London having gone there to expand his possibilities.

Both Lazare and Williams involved themselves in politics, Lazare becoming a member of the Port-of-Spain Borough Council and Williams as the main organiser of the first Pan African Congress. The achievements in education illustrated by these two Afro-Trinis turned into a tide in the 20th century. It continued to flow for the first 75 years with intellectuals of the ilk of CLR James, Eric Williams, HOB Wooding, Best, Demas, Ellis Clarke, the McShine brothers and a few generations of blacks acquiring scholarships, going abroad and demonstrating the capacity for intellectual accomplishment equal to any.

In business, the names of achievers such as Cyril Duprey and later on the likes of Bob Yorke and William Munroe achieved a measure of success. At the level of small traders and skilled artisans, the shoemakers, tailors, barbers, shopkeepers and others began the fight for space in the economy; and this notwithstanding what has been reported as a deliberate attempt by the finance houses to marginalise black business operators.

At the working class level, the assault against the colonial establishment was taken up in the 1930s by the then emerging labour movement. It took riots, the loss of life and limb and the confronting of the British military and the colonial constabulary to begin the construction of a society in which people of African heritage and indeed other non-European peoples had an equal place.

At the political level, the struggle of the African went back as far as the turn of the century and gained full momentum in the 1940s leading right up to Independence. Dr Eric Williams and a band of middle-class blacks, along with others including Indo, white and Chinese Trinidadians and Tobagonians, created the People’s National Movement to win political power from the colonial authorities and put in political office a party consisting predominantly of Afro-Trinis.

So here again in the initial organisation of the society out of crown colony government, Afro-Trinis and Tobagonians were out in front. They acquired and exercised political power in the run-up to independence and in the decades that followed.
 Soon enough blacks began to fill the civil service and replace the British expatriates at the top of the service. The return from study abroad of doctors, lawyers, engineers and other high-level professionals placed blacks in a position of command in the professions.

At the broad level of culture, blacks not only developed their ancestral heritage, but created what President Richards, a good Creole, said last week was the only true innovation of the society. In the popular arts, including the Carnival creations, Afro-Trinis have been in the forefront of not only developing the cultural forms, but have exported them to distant lands.

• To be continued

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Part of 50th Independence Special on progress of different races in T&T
« Reply #177 on: July 20, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
Dat fellah like he write dat with ah ink filled 3 line

mih boy call max a good creole oui. ;)....ha lawd
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
50 Years of Independence Series
« Reply #178 on: August 16, 2012, 03:51:46 AM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/commentaries/Heroes__pioneers__role_models-166351646.html

Heroes, pioneers, role models
By Bridget Brereton
Story Created: Aug 15, 2012 at 9:50 PM ECT

The approach of the 50th anniversary of national Independence has stimulated discussion about national "heroes'' (presumably used as a gender-neutral term) and "icons''.

Such discussions inevitably involve thinking about our history and the people who have helped to shape it.

Trinidad and Tobago does not have formally declared national heroes, unlike Jamaica. I recall that the NAR government (1986-91) took up the idea but, for whatever reason, didn't follow through with it. And one has to admit that the business of selecting heroes is inevitably more difficult in a multi-ethnic society like ours than in the much more homogenous (in terms of ethnicity, not class) Jamaica.

To mark the anniversary, Nasser Khan has produced a book, Profiles Heroes, Role Models and Pioneers of Trinidad and Tobago, published with support from First Citizens and aimed at young readers. There are 374 entries, divided into 24 sections; the entries range from two or three lines to two pages. Birth and death years are given for most but not all of the profiled individuals, and photos of some of them are also included. (Full disclosure: I am one of those profiled, in the education section).

Deciding on criteria for inclusion in a book of this kind is difficult. Khan states in his introduction that his chosen persons "are those who have made important contributions to our country's development, who have paved the way and continue to pave the way for others to follow''. Persons not born in T&T have been included if they made such contributions, and living as well as dead individuals appear in the book.

These are very broad criteria, and the inclusion of living persons means, inevitably, that not all will be pleased with Khan's selections, or perhaps more likely his omissions. For instance, I was surprised that Anthony Sabga and Sidney Knox were not included in the business section, and I thought that omitting nearly all of T&T's younger writers (that is, those born after around 1940), in the section Writing and Journalism, was a mistake. It's also a pity that only one Hindu religious leader (Pundit Capildeo) appears in the Religion section. But the selection for compilations of this kind will always be controversial to some extent, especially if living persons are included (the dead can't complain).

For my part, I wondered about the inclusion of "role models'' in the title. Might this mean that persons who did make important contributions, but are not judged to be role models, will be excluded? Is that why, for example, Picton is not in the section Colonial Governors? As British Trinidad's first governor, he most certainly helped to shape the island's development, though he ruled through violence and terror, mostly directed at the island's enslaved and "free coloured'' people.

Perhaps Khan should have explained in the introduction that a few persons who did help to make our history were excluded because they could not be seen as "role models'', if that was the case, though not all of the persons included were or are exactly saints. Generally, the principle behind dictionaries of national biography is to include everyone who did something noteworthy, without consideration of moral qualities, so famous criminals, for instance, are included. Of course I recognise that Khan's purpose was different but the "role model'' principle should have been explained, in my view.

Khan has selected his 374 individuals from a very wide range of areas — 24 categories in all — and he is to be commended for this; we also find a decent number of women in the book. Some of his "picks'' are quite innovative: for instance, he has included Samuel Elliot, the famous Papa Neza of Moruga, in his section on medicine (what will the medics think of this?)

It's also striking that by far the longest section is that devoted to culture and the arts, with 73 entries- and this section doesn't include writers, who are in a separate one with 19 entries. As a result, Khan's book is not biased towards politicians and others in public life, as many of these compilations tend to be. His section on politicians has only 11 entries, three of them devoted to living persons, though we must also add the section called modern leaders, which includes all T&T's governors-general, presidents and prime ministers.

Though I did note a few factual errors in some entries, and some omissions of relevant facts, overall this book is a very useful compilation.

It's good that the Ministry of Education will donate a copy to every school in the country and that Nalis will ensure all its branch libraries have it. Khan is to be commended for the research that went into this valuable contribution to documenting the nation's history and achievements.

Incidentally, I've read in the papers that as part of the 50th anniversary celebrations, my colleagues Paula Morgan and Brinsley Samaroo have been commissioned to come up with a list of 50 "icons'' of T&T. It will be interesting to see what criteria they have adopted and who they come up with and to compare their list with Khan's 374 "heroes, pioneers and role models''.

• Bridget Brereton is emerita professor of history at UWI, St Augustine, and has studied and written about the history of T&T, and the Caribbean, for many decades
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 01:15:48 AM by Socapro »

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Memories of meeting the 'Doc'
« Reply #179 on: August 22, 2012, 07:13:43 PM »
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/news/Memoriesof-meeting-the-Doc-167043095.html

Memories of meeting the 'Doc'
By Camille Bethel
Story Created: Aug 22, 2012 at 11:51 AM ECT

* First in a series on 1962 Independence Day babies by Camille Bethel

On August 31, 1962, the Union Jack was lowered and this country's red, white and black national flag was raised, symbolising not just freedom from British rule, but the birth of the independent nation of Trinidad and Tobago.

It was a momentous occasion for the people of Trinidad and Tobago, so ultimately there was celebration throughout the country.

Among the households celebrating that day was that of Kamaladin Emamali, who was born on that very same day.

One of the 180 babies born on Independence Day, according to the Ministry of Planning and Sustainable Development statistics, Emamali, who hails from Malabar, Arima, and who has lived all of his life in this country, has described life over the past 50 years as a fulfilling and exciting one.

"Growing up in Trinidad and Tobago, I have never had a dull moment. There have always been exciting moments in my life, including getting the opportunity to meet the first Prime Minister Dr Eric Williams and being featured in the Express newspapers as a child, along with several other children born on August 31, 1962," Emamali said in an interview with the Express last week.

It is therefore no surprise that Emamali feels more than just a passing sense of national pride.

The fact that his birthday falls on Independence Day has served as motivation for his involvement in activities that foster development of his community and country.

"From very early in my life I was involved in a lot of group activities. I was a part of the formation of the secondary body of the Ministry of Youth, as a teenager, being one of the founders of that youth body at the age of 20 and that impacted my life in a very positive way," he said.

Emamali, who also expressed pride in the development of the country over the past 50 years, said he has been motivated over the years by the country's first Prime Minister as well as South Africa's first black President Nelson Mandela.

He tries not to focus on the negatives of life but clings to and promotes the positives.

Now standing on the threshold of his 50th birthday and the country's 50th anniversary of Independence, as an adult he continues to be involved in activities all over this country and his community, working especially with the youth.

The development of the nation's young people is one of Emamali's heartfelt concerns.

And this is why he has been lobbying for the construction of a pool and a gymnasium in his community, so the young people can get involved in sports, he said.

"You see a vast difference in the young people when they are involved in group activities because when they are involved in sport and other things they are less likely to be involved in drugs and violence," he said.

Emamali said the country has really grown over the past 50 years and he believes that Trinidad and Tobago is going places.

"We are so blessed to have such a diverse cultural mix of people in this country but we have some issues on race and disrespect that we need to address.

"We need to get together and embrace each other, because we are really blessed and I think people should live as one. Of course we are only human and we will have differences but at the end of the day we have just one life to live and so we should love each other, that is how I live.

"I don't look at people's faces, if they have money or not, if they are white, black, yellow or what because I believe in oneness and we should all enjoy it as one," he said.

• Continued tomorrow

1]; } ?>