March 28, 2024, 03:56:26 AM

Author Topic: Happy Independence Thread  (Read 56323 times)

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Well....Happy Independence....
« Reply #60 on: August 31, 2007, 08:25:20 PM »
Happy Independence Day to all and to Trinidad and Tobago!!! Together We Aspire - Together We Achieve
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 31, 2007, 08:32:09 PM »
 Happy Independence day everybody , like dutty sat bring back Burroughs. I prefer dirty  looks than dirty knifes.so we couold get back we sweet TnT .
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 08:47:28 PM by Quagmire »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 31, 2007, 09:27:19 PM »
I vex me eh see no H I and was referred here because it full of shit talk. I agree because man askin 4 Burroughs to come back. Why all yuh feel drugs flowin like water and it have corrupt police. IS BECAUSE OF BURROUGHS

Any way 45 n.o.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2007, 09:34:04 PM »
I vex me eh see no H I and was referred here because it full of shit talk. I agree because man askin 4 Burroughs to come back. Why all yuh feel drugs flowin like water and it have corrupt police. IS BECAUSE OF BURROUGHS

Any way 45 n.o.
see
ya fit right eeenn
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 01, 2007, 12:34:32 AM »
Thanks West I will have to drop by
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: September 01, 2007, 12:39:32 AM »

Any way 45 n.o.
Yeah but atleast he had them under control .

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 01, 2007, 12:43:01 AM »
So he provided d breathin ground 4 criminals and now that he dead and gone we have a problem and u talkin bout he had them under contro what utter rubbish. He was one of dem the leader of d pack.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 01, 2007, 12:50:37 AM »
In the land of the blind the man with one eye is king .Plus yah can t blame he just so ,u ha no proof ,who tell yah that yah uncle steuppps . He would not distroy trini like that ,nah ah doubt that .Is really PNM with all them project they build .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 12:52:52 AM by Quagmire »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 01, 2007, 12:59:23 AM »
No I worked in d police service dat is how I know. I guess he was set up why he was charged 4 drugs.

Offline Quags

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 01, 2007, 01:10:01 AM »
Which brings me back to my point .We know he was ah bad man ,who was involved in the system .He atleast coulda control them.Nobody could stop drugs ,who know maybe he was deep under cover  ;D.Never the less everybody knew he run things from Maimi to Bogata ,they had to stop short ,now is ah set ah push overs . In the land of the blind ,the man wit one eye is king .
« Last Edit: September 01, 2007, 01:17:23 AM by Quagmire »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 01, 2007, 04:22:20 PM »
So he provided d breathin ground 4 criminals and now that he dead and gone we have a problem and u talkin bout he had them under contro what utter rubbish. He was one of dem the leader of d pack.

weary I eh disagreein wit yuh dey nah.....But I eh know who else to bring back

I rather have ah draconian drugdealer leadin de police dan de current dunderhead
regardless of who in de commisioner seat it go always have drug dealing.......but innocent people wasnt gettin shot in dey house for ah gold chain in de night

Bring back Kojak
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 01, 2007, 05:30:54 PM »
As I said b4 I wuk police and d problems Paul etal have is because of burroughs. D man was a rogue and the crime nation was born under he watch. So all who feel that he should be back not thinking. Not to mention in 2007 yuh cyah b killin peeps just so.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 01, 2007, 05:41:36 PM »
Ok point taken  :beermug:

Bring back George Chambers and..... um???.......somebody help mih out here..dat nex fellah
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 01, 2007, 06:31:16 PM »
TT marks 45 years of independence

Sterling Henderson
Port of Spain, Trinidad and Tobago

Trinidad and Tobago has benefitted from high world oil prices

Modern history began recording the story of Trinidad and Tobago in 1492 with what is accepted as its discovery by Christopher Columbus.
In 1797 British Colonial rule began and it was 165 years later that the now twin island state achieved Independence.

What should be expected some 45 years later? That’s the question as the republic marks the event.

Oil boom

Trinidad and Tobago's oil and natural gas reserves have helped it gain the title Godfather of the Caribbean.

The government recently boasted of reducing poverty levels to 16.7 percent and for some this is still too high considering the country’s resources.

Two weeks before the 2007/2008 Budget Presentation a report on the energy sector done by the American company Ryder Scott, predicted an exhaustion of the country’s natural gas reserves by 2019.

That resulted in many calls for the diversification of the economy with less focus on this sector which 'fuels' its existence.

Signs of economic progress in Trinidad and Tobago

The country is, however, considered a healthy democracy, with elections constitutionally due every five years.

The country's democracy has been secure, except for three noteworthy aberrations: the Black Power Revolution of 1970, a failed military uprising in the mid 70’s and an attempted coup in 1990.

This is not, though, to suggest that all is well on the most southerly of the Caribbean isles.

Racial tensions between the East Indian and African sectors of the population manifest most prominently in political arenas.

As a transhipment point in the international drug trade, illegal firearms fuel gang related violence and turf wars mar life on the characteristically laid back islands.

Measuring independence

Some of the country’s intellectuals have questioned the value of internal self-governance if you inherit the institutions of your coloniser.

Its features therefore speak of sovereignty and perhaps to a lesser extent independence.

Relationships with international lending agencies, new forms of imperialism and influential super-powers to some extent all dictate the pace of development.

No man is an island and this is as well true of nation states.

Trinidad is world-famous for its annual carnival

Having given the world the steel pan, limbo, calypso and so much more Trinidad and Tobago has a lot to be proud of.

It is a relatively young nation that may do well to realise that its indigenous products are the products that have so far brought it its greatest acclaims.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
46 years and counting. + 32 yrs as a Republic.
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2008, 06:41:36 AM »
Happy Independence all

I was driving to NY friday night and found this radio station was playing some historic calypso's.

10 yrs old by Chalkdust is only one Recall specfically but they were others by The Mighty Duke and Kitchner. Classic gems that I wish I was more knowledgeable about.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2008, 11:00:46 AM by trinindian »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 46 years and counting.
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2008, 06:45:28 AM »
Happy 46th T&T! Come on man, as de years go by we supposed to get mature and wiser. Do yuh do!
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline mal jeux

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2008, 07:09:44 AM »
Well done TnT! Lets clean-up we act.
"How many times do I have to flush before you go away?"

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2008, 09:00:38 AM »
Happy Independence T&T...and to all Trinbagonians living across to the globe  :beermug: :beermug:

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
HAPPY 46 4 get d parade dis morning as I woulda b in church anyway but have 2 take in d OTT and c who gettin it. Dey blank meh nominee 4 ah award but I go deal wit dem nxt yr

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2008, 07:21:21 PM »
Well yeah! Big it up longside de growing pains.

Offline chinee boi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 02, 2008, 10:10:29 AM »
just to let all yuh know, i is ah independence day baby...happy b'day to me too  ;D

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 02, 2008, 02:33:12 PM »
I shame tuh say that year after year I keep forgetting we Independence Anniversary until somebody mention it.  Wasn't until I was in ah fete on Sunday and de deejay mention it that I ketch mihself.

Anyways, large up TnT... we growing, but we ent reach yet.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 02, 2008, 04:14:03 PM »
just to let all yuh know, i is ah independence day baby...happy b'day to me too  ;D

Happy belated breds

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 02, 2008, 08:19:47 PM »
A chinee virgo niceness

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 03, 2008, 07:22:46 AM »
Lawless at 46
By Raffique Shah
Sunday, August 31st 2008

If Prime Minister Patrick Manning and his government had a real grasp of the shaky legs on which this country wobbles in its 46th year of independence, they would have cancelled all the pomp and ceremony and celebrations, and instead declare today a Day of Mourning. No, stupid: it’s not the economy I refer to. That is booming-which is part of the problem. It’s the people who make up this nation, the majority among us, who are guilty of turning what should and could have been a paradise-on-earth into a failure in too many ways to count.

Take the recurring problem of flooding, the most recent of which I witnessed first-hand, since I live in Claxton Bay. Works Minister Colm Imbert blamed the deluge that almost drowned the district on unusually heavy rainfall (I can attest to that) and man-made problems. Well, we cannot control nature, nor are we, like most countries worldwide, inclined to take measures to mitigate the effects of global warming. But we certainly can regulate the rampant lawlessness that contributes to this annual problem.

It suddenly dawned on Imbert, after the Claxton Bay deluge that left the country cut in half, that people “build homes and other structures outside of the regulations.” Well, excuse me, Rip-van-Imbert: have you been asleep for 46 years of your life? This is not only a problem of errant individuals who build homes on natural watercourses, only to cry blood later when they are flooded out year after year. More damaging, it’s delinquency on the part of government and its agencies that allow entire housing developments to be built on river-beds. The lawlessness can be seen by the blind, to use a Trini-pun: all those mansions that are climbing up the Northern Range (and now Central), higher and higher, are not invisible. They don’t just appear, fully furnished, overnight.

Where are the regulatory authorities that either granted permits to build, or which did not, but refuse to intervene? One of the most prestigious, not to add outrageously expensive, housing estates in the east, was built in an area that was once a combination of watercourses and paddy-fields. Did officials at Town and Country Planning grant the developers a permit? If not, why did they not intervene before the first bulldozer moved in to clear the swamp? And the developers cannot claim to have rectified the problems: year after year gullible homeowners and commercial tenants suffer immense flood damage.

Throughout the country people ignore or defy the laws governing construction with no fear of being prosecuted, of having their structures demolished. I recall one ‘bigshot’ actually diverting the Couva river to claim more land: he stopped not because any agency intervened. I, as a journalist, clambered down the banks of the river to photograph what he was engaged in, published a story, and maybe out of shame he stopped.The lawless, rich and poor, do as they please when it comes to interfering with watercourses, knowing they will escape unscathed. People make reports to regional corporations, to the police, to Town and Country. No action is ever taken.

Besides this disgraceful, unacceptable behaviour of those who should know better, we are now sinking into lawlessness on the roads that is the cause of so many deaths of the innocent, since those who cause the carnage drive away to kill again another day. Scrap dealers pile junk on public roadways, or so close to the verges, they become deadly. Who intervenes? Do we need to look far away to find causes of the deadly dengue outbreak? The culpable are all around us-even the victims themselves, or their neighbours.

When we talk crime, we think only of the mindless gunmen who are becoming more brazen than ever before. Imagine someone having the gall to shoot at a target outside a court: what next-a siege of police headquarters? But crime and lawlessness extend far beyond the gunmen that have made our lives worthless. Those who discard junk or even their status-symbol “purified water” containers into drains, are more criminal than gunmen. The latter may kill a few of their fellow-gangsters. The former inflict millions of dollars of damage on law-abiding citizens, on farmers who answer the call to produce more local food.

A few days ago I joined a queue at a supermarket to pay for my purchases. One man ahead of me had many items, so those behind knew we’d be delayed. Another jackass behind, seemingly half-drunk but wanting to pay for beer to further “badden” his head, just jumped ahead and demanded to have his grog cashed. I looked at him and thought: should I cross a right-hook to his nose and floor him? In my younger days I might have done just that. But I am more mature, 46-plus-16, so I acted with restraint.

The nation is today 46 years old. I don’t know we have matured with age. Government, its many agencies, our politicians and far too many of our citizens have embraced lawlessness as a way of life. Tell me: what is there to celebrate?

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 24, 2008, 11:00:09 AM »
Happy Republic Day Trinidad. Today is also the birthday of Dr. Eric Williams.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 46 years and counting. + 32 yrs as a Republic.
« Reply #86 on: September 24, 2008, 01:41:26 PM »
trini still cuttin teeth.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 24, 2008, 03:16:40 PM »
Happy Rep day to Sweet T&T.."every creed and race find an equal place and may GOD bless our nation"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 24, 2008, 03:32:28 PM »
I am not a big repub, day fan. I think it is a wasted holiday. It should be the same day as independence. The reasons I don't pay attention to this day is that we are not a full-fledge republic. After Abu-Bakr appealled to the Privy Council and win I realised we are a f---king joke republic. The Privy Council still has he last word in all cases. Then, this day happens to be Eric birthday!!!! You tell me. Father of the nation!!! They should have called it Eric Williams day.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 24, 2008, 04:37:08 PM »
Father of the nation!!! They should have called it Eric Williams day.
Yes :applause:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>