April 29, 2024, 06:51:17 AM

Author Topic: No Carlos next weekend  (Read 763 times)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
No Carlos next weekend
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:21:47 AM »
It doesn't look like to be back next weekend, I would hope he makes the Derby game.

I think the reported training knock a couple of weeks ago must have been more serious than the club let on.  He needs a change of luck.

no Richardson or Miller either for Portsmouth so any points is just looking like a bonus

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=14202

Carlos and Kieran unlikely for Pompey

By Nick Alexander

Roy Keane does not expect Carlos Edwards or Kieran Richardson to be available for Sunderland's game at Portsmouth next weekend.

Edwards and Richardson, who have hardly featured this season because of injury, may not be ready until next month.

Edwards was in London last week, for some sessions in an oxygen chamber, as he tries to come back from a broken leg.

Keane, the manager, said: "I wouldn't have thought we'll have any of the injured players back for Portsmouth - unless Kieran trains really well next week, but as I've said before, we have to be careful with him."

Liam Miller (calf), Roy O'Donovan (abdomen) and Danny Higginbotham (toe) are also in the treatment room. Higginbotham, who has not played since early January after breaking his toe, is set to return to training next week.

Dwight Yorke will be available for the trip to Fratton Park after playing in the reserves on Tuesday and Andy Reid and Grant Leadbitter, both recently back from injury, will push for a place in Keane's side.

The boss added: "The lads coming back from injury - Grant, Reidy and Danny Higginbotham next week - will do extra training. But in terms of the lads who have played every week, it's just keeping them simmering nicely."

Sunderland are without a game this weekend as the attention switches to the fifth round of the FA Cup.

"I'd probably say that it's a decent time for us to have this break," said Keane. "We'd love to be still in the FA Cup, but we're not and it does give us a chance to recharge out batteries.

"It's short, sharp training sessions at this stage. There are 12 games to go and their fitness levels should not be a problem.

"It's important that you get the balance right because we've had injuries. We had an eleven-v-eleven game on the training pitch yesterday which was quite hard.

"The games in this league can take a lot out of you, both physically and mentally, especially for a lot of our players who are new to the Premier League, they have put a lot in.

"They will have the weekend off and than it is back to normal on Monday."

Sunderland face two successive away games after the break - they go to Derby after playing Portsmouth. "We're gearing towards the Portsmouth game and trying to get that first away win," said Keane.

1]; } ?>