June 06, 2024, 04:09:35 AM

Author Topic: Foreign Movies Discussion  (Read 35553 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Foreign Movies Discussion
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2008, 05:17:12 PM »
I'll add

Shinobi (2005)

Maria Full Of Grace

Everything Is Illuminated

For the British crime movie fans watch Revolver and Layer Cake.

Very...very good movie.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »
I must be the onliest one who did not like House of the Flying Daggers.

It was rather lame but I was comparing it to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Emperor and the Assassin or Hero with Jet Li
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2008, 05:30:06 PM »
Some real interesting selections on here. With North American mainstream advertising placing little emphasis on these movies, yuh really get the feeling that yuh missing out on some real gems. I hope to get some time in the future to peruse these movies and see what the talk is about.

Whoever giving recommendations: a direct youtube link to the movie preview (if available), would be appreciated.

Some I could find so far:

Pan's Labyrinth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHm_Me0CDC0

House of Flying Daggers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0UsfwSSYX4

The Namesake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOaA-4Y8tI

City of God:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djh5tGNj4Qw

Y tu Mama tambien:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxX60IZCxv4

Still adding to de thread, here are two others I enjoyed:

Tsotsi - A South African film with a very intriguing premise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnqbNl7VMM

District B-13 - French, for all who like martial arts and the discipline of parkour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CrlgB0ueU

Wheyyyy Grande like you trying tuh give man wuk boy, lol  But nah, thanks for the links to the movies, I've heard of Tsotsi but don't really know much about it, I'll check out the trailer and add it to my online queue.

Some of these movies in the list didn't garner much popular press...but that doesn't mean they were marginalized...Pan's Labyrinth for instance won three Academy Awards and was nominated in several other categories, as well as for several Golden Globes.

When I get some time I'll go back and try to add some of the trailers to the movies I listed.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2008, 05:32:04 PM »
I must be the onliest one who did not like House of the Flying Daggers.

It was rather lame but I was comparing it to Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and The Emperor and the Assassin or Hero with Jet Li
Good movies all...but it was different from those in that there was less a focus on martial arts and emphasized the story moreso than the others.  I too was disappointed given all the hype, but all in all it was entertaining all the same.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2008, 06:58:30 PM »
Some real interesting selections on here. With North American mainstream advertising placing little emphasis on these movies, yuh really get the feeling that yuh missing out on some real gems. I hope to get some time in the future to peruse these movies and see what the talk is about.

Whoever giving recommendations: a direct youtube link to the movie preview (if available), would be appreciated.

Some I could find so far:

Pan's Labyrinth
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqYiSlkvRuw

El Espinazo del Diablo (The Devil's Backbone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHm_Me0CDC0

House of Flying Daggers:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0UsfwSSYX4

The Namesake:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sOaA-4Y8tI

City of God:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Djh5tGNj4Qw

Y tu Mama tambien:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxX60IZCxv4

Still adding to de thread, here are two others I enjoyed:

Tsotsi - A South African film with a very intriguing premise:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DYnqbNl7VMM

District B-13 - French, for all who like martial arts and the discipline of parkour:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19CrlgB0ueU

Wheyyyy Grande like you trying tuh give man wuk boy, lol  But nah, thanks for the links to the movies, I've heard of Tsotsi but don't really know much about it, I'll check out the trailer and add it to my online queue.

Some of these movies in the list didn't garner much popular press...but that doesn't mean they were marginalized...Pan's Labyrinth for instance won three Academy Awards and was nominated in several other categories, as well as for several Golden Globes.

When I get some time I'll go back and try to add some of the trailers to the movies I listed.

Yeah - I agree they weren't marginalized. It is just unfortunate that more ppl didn't see them just because they were not advertised as much. The only reason I went to see Pan's Labyrinth was because a friend had heard abt it through a Spanish newspaper...otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it.

As for giving man wuk to do...was no probs on my part. You eh find watching a lil preview does help to pique interest in the movie? Reading everyone's insights is indeed helpful but since I had some time today, I say let me watch the trailers and do de board a lil service...is a good thread too :beermug:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:00:08 PM by Grande »

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2008, 07:38:27 PM »
Yeah - I agree they weren't marginalized. It is just unfortunate that more ppl didn't see them just because they were not advertised as much. The only reason I went to see Pan's Labyrinth was because a friend had heard abt it through a Spanish newspaper...otherwise I probably wouldn't have known about it.

As for giving man wuk to do...was no probs on my part. You eh find watching a lil preview does help to pique interest in the movie? Reading everyone's insights is indeed helpful but since I had some time today, I say let me watch the trailers and do de board a lil service...is a good thread too :beermug:

Nah nah...I definitely agree with you...having the trailer there for preview is a definite benefit.  I wouldn't want people to think that that is a condition for them to add their contribution, but certainly if the trailer available and not too much work for them it would be nice to include it, following your lead, I mihself plan soon as ah get some time to go try and find some previews  :beermug:
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 07:51:26 PM by Bake n Shark »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2008, 11:00:47 PM »
I'll add

Shinobi (2005)

Maria Full Of Grace

Very...very good movie.
maria full of grace was de one with de young girls as de drug mules?
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2008, 12:19:24 AM »
I'll add

Shinobi (2005)

Maria Full Of Grace

Very...very good movie.

...precisamente

Offline socachatter

• ey boy look ah make
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2008, 07:57:08 AM »
if you are a movie lover, check out Cinema Paradiso.  for those in NY there is an annual outdoor Italian film festival where is movie is screened every year in the summer.
"Moral certainty is always a sign of cultural inferiority.  The more uncivilized the man, the surer he is that he knows precisely what is right and what is wrong.  All human progress, even in morals, has been the work of men who doubted current moral values, not of men who tried to enforce them."

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2008, 09:30:51 AM »
I'll add

Shinobi (2005)

Maria Full Of Grace

Very...very good movie.

...precisamente

hm, they at it again:
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161280137

i used to show maria full of grace to my college students it was amazing the reactions they would give to it.

there is an excellent film from peru or ecuador that deals with the changes a war veteran has to make to fit in to society, the name escapes me but it is very relevant to our times.

cinema paradiso is a good one.

anything by luis bunuel is good. the man is a master of criticizing society.

another good one is La Diva...it proves that the french do indeed love "the swirl" lol

my personal favorite is Black Orpheus...i could watch it over and over...bill cosby even mentioned it on an episode of the cosby show...funny b/c the actress bears an uncanny resemblance to phylicia rashad.

of course the samurai trilogy, toshiro mifune is a boss.   

i could name dozens more but i see so many and just forget the names...lord i getting old lol

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2008, 12:34:26 PM »
hm, they at it again:
http://www.trinidadexpress.com/index.pl/article_news?id=161280137

i used to show maria full of grace to my college students it was amazing the reactions they would give to it.

there is an excellent film from peru or ecuador that deals with the changes a war veteran has to make to fit in to society, the name escapes me but it is very relevant to our times.

cinema paradiso is a good one.

anything by luis bunuel is good. the man is a master of criticizing society.

another good one is La Diva...it proves that the french do indeed love "the swirl" lol

my personal favorite is Black Orpheus...i could watch it over and over...bill cosby even mentioned it on an episode of the cosby show...funny b/c the actress bears an uncanny resemblance to phylicia rashad.

of course the samurai trilogy, toshiro mifune is a boss.   

i could name dozens more but i see so many and just forget the names...lord i getting old lol

Timely link dey Fari...and good stuff too.  Not familiar with the S. American additions you made to the thread, but I'll be looking those up as well.  I see we have men of real discerning taste in here, any fan of Kurosawa/Mifune gets two  :beermug: :beermug: from me.

For some reason Black Orpheus didn't really move me...but I real liked the remake Orfeu for some reason.

leroy

« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2008, 01:10:14 PM »
farewell my concumbine  :beermug:

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 19, 2008, 01:18:58 PM »

Good flick
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 19, 2008, 01:25:30 PM »

Good flick

is columbine or concubine is de name of de flim??

then again...leroy is ah yardie, he mus be did mean rocumbine
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 19, 2008, 01:39:32 PM »

Good flick

Indeed...mentioned in mih first post.  She and the director have others, but I doh think any come close to those mentioned.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2008, 02:08:06 PM »
Three movies by Deepa Metha

Water

Earth

Fire

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2008, 10:30:17 AM »
One of my favs.. Like Water for chocolate.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2008, 10:43:06 AM »
One of my favs.. Like Water for chocolate.

Oh yes...aka Como Agua Para Chocolate.  I saw that quite a few years ago and really didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did, mainly rented it because it got really good reviews.  Be warned though fellas, many might consider it a 'chick flick'.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2008, 04:15:17 PM »
Bake an Shark, I am a Kurosawa/Mifune fan. Ran, 7 Samarai(hollywood remake of manificent 7), Rashomon, Kagemusha. very good stuff.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2008, 04:32:19 PM »
Shaolin Soccer ...

jokey movie  :rotfl:

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2008, 05:42:42 PM »
Whale Rider (New Zealand) is another good one. A young Maori girl's perspective of the values of her people. Young and old could watch.

Keep the thread going  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2008, 06:06:31 PM »
Whale rider is is pretty goody. There is also an Aussie flick called Rabbit- Proof Fence.

http://www.amazon.com/Australian-Movie-Classics/lm/2A1YCXRM4KIU7

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2008, 09:03:03 AM »
Bake an Shark, I am a Kurosawa/Mifune fan. Ran, 7 Samarai(hollywood remake of manificent 7), Rashomon, Kagemusha. very good stuff.
Yeah man Deeks, big up  :beermug:  Ah know nuff ah we grow up on Shaw Bros. movies in Trinidad which was more or less the forerunner to today's movie industry in Hong Kong...but not too many of us ever pay attention to Japanese movies.  I've been hearing about Rabbit Proof Fence fuh years now, ah know it was very well received by critics and was heavily nominated when it came out...still ent get around to seeing it yet though.  Adding it tuh mih blockbuster online queue.

One thing though, ah thing what yuh say in bold above is de other way around...Magnificent 7 is de Hollywood remake of the Seven Samurai.  Also, Rashomon was remade into a courtroom drama called 12 Angry Men. 

For those who haven't seen either, Rashomon was about a crime that took place in the forest, and witnessed by, I believe 4 individuals...each of them had a different perspective, and each remembered the incident differently.  12 Angry Men focused on a jury deliberating a murder case, with each juror remembering testimony differently, and the movie focused on the different perspectives and the tensions they created in the jury room.  Some good ole time Hollywood actors are in it...and as you may have guessed, the movie is in black and white (same for Rashomon)...so be warned, lol.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 09:19:50 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2008, 09:17:59 AM »
Whale Rider (New Zealand) is another good one. A young Maori girl's perspective of the values of her people. Young and old could watch.

Keep the thread going  :beermug:

Great, great movie  :notworthy: :notworthy:

Story is about a young Maori girl and her intentions on carrying on her family's tradition, having been descended from a long line of Maori chiefs.  The problem is that the current chief, her grandfather is dying, and she's the last in line to succession.  Her age and her gender pose serious concerns for the village.  Great stuff.  My favorite NZ actor, Cliff Curtis is in it...he was in Training Day, Live Free or Die Hard, Runaway Jury and Blow (played Pablo Escobar).

He's also in another excellent film about the Maori people called Once Were Warriors.  This focuses on one family bedeviled by an abusive patriarch and their struggles to come to terms with what it means to be Maori in today's contemporary New Zealand (Aorotea)...including dealing with being outcasts in their own land.  A lot of stuff that Native Americans went thru here in America, and stuff that black people still dealing with to this day.

I was in Hawai'i last summer and had a chance to visit the Polynesian Cultural Center on Oahu's north shore...there were some indigenous Maoris from New Zealand (from all the Polynesian islands, really) and it was really interesting sitting and talking to these guys...these dudes come from a very fierce warrior heritage and they're fighting hard to maintain it among the youths who are distracted by some of the same bs we seeing in Trinidad today...the American gangster image.  You don't see that in the movie of course, but you get a taste of the struggle to maintain knowing that you descended from these noble warriors and today you're a second-class citizen in your own country.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2008, 10:56:57 AM »
Das Boot!

Ah real vex. After a year owning this vcr I bought at Costco I decided to play bold face and ask for a refund. So I bounce een with attitude and all. Finally they take back the vcr and I walk out smiling. I now had coins, after all nobody uses vcr anymore. After about 2 months I realize that ape 2 of my Das boot was in the friggin vcr that I returned.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2008, 12:36:49 PM »
Das Boot!

Ah real vex. After a year owning this vcr I bought at Costco I decided to play bold face and ask for a refund. So I bounce een with attitude and all. Finally they take back the vcr and I walk out smiling. I now had coins, after all nobody uses vcr anymore. After about 2 months I realize that ape 2 of my Das boot was in the friggin vcr that I returned.

Lol...I know about the movie, basic plot that kinda thing...and know it is considered a classic, but that's another one I haven't seen either.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2008, 03:16:55 PM »
Once Were Warriors

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Another old NZ Moari flick is UTU.

http://www.nzvideos.org/utu.html

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 28, 2008, 06:56:14 PM »
Once Were Warriors

He's also in another excellent film about the Maori people called Once Were Warriors.  This focuses on one family bedeviled by an abusive patriarch and their struggles to come to terms with what it means to be Maori in today's contemporary New Zealand (Aorotea)...including dealing with being outcasts in their own land.  A lot of stuff that Native Americans went thru here in America, and stuff that black people still dealing with to this day.

Yeah...dai'z ah good one.  :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 28, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »
Once Were Warriors
is not once we were warriors.this was about de abusive father?
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

1]; } ?>