March 28, 2024, 12:20:39 PM

Author Topic: Warner tests coach's selection philosophy.  (Read 12255 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Warner tests coach's selection philosophy.
« on: February 16, 2008, 11:25:10 PM »
Warner tests coach's selection philosophy.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express).

Maturana faces Yorker

Experienced football observers may tell you that although goals win matches, they are rarely the turning points. Rather, the decisive strike is the inevitable outcome of a subtle or obvious catalyst that will probably go unnoticed in the following day's match report. Similarly, off the playing field, crucial life-altering decisions are rarely made on examination day.

New Trinidad and Tobago football coach Francisco Maturana faces his own test of nerve this June. There will be no points at stake-not the kind you can tabulate. It will not be his November 19 or November 15 showdown. It is potentially even more important.

On June 1, the England FA have apparently agreed in principle to face the "Soca Warriors" in T&T's most eagerly anticipated friendly since Pele's Santos visited Port of Spain in 1972.

FIFA vice-president and Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF) special adviser Jack Warner is the brains behind the fixture and is understandably eager to make it an unforgettable afternoon. So, as Warner told T&TFF media officer Shaun Fuentes last week, the retired pair of Warriors World Cup captain Dwight Yorke and midfield icon Russell Latapy-arguably the nation's most popular and gifted player-could be invited to feature as "guest players".

Maturana, a Colombian who coached his native country at two World Cups, has barely been on the job for a month but he already forcibly made one point and it is about the benefit of youth.

In his first game in charge on Ash Wednesday, Maturana selected 18-year-old CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh player Khaleem Hyland from the start ahead of, among others, his 31-year-old Jabloteh captain Trent Noel and 32-year-old Neal & Massy Caledonia AIA star Marvin Oliver.

There are six teenagers and four schoolboys in the squad for his next outing, which comes on March 19 against El Salvador. Warner, albeit inadvertently, could undermine the coach's philosophy with two celebrated invitees.
And now, it is up to Maturana to show his squad and, less importantly, the nation who is really in charge for the 2010 World Cup push. The friendly showing might have more bearing on Trinidad and Tobago's qualification chances than one might think.

In 1996, a document that supposedly disclosed tactical suggestions from Warner to then head coach Zoran Vranes-the affable Yugoslavia-born coach is back in Trinidad as national youth team director-was leaked to the media in the aftermath of a 1-0 qualifying loss to Costa Rica.

Another former coach, Vibe CT 105 W Connection boss Stuart Charles-Fevrier, was loudly interrogated about team tactics and selection in his hotel room after a 2-0 loss away to Morocco on September 10, 2003. At least one senior player overheard his boss on the defensive and word spread that the coach, rightly or not, was not his own man.

Neither Fevrier nor Vranes lasted long after their embarrassments, while tales of national coaches who were "advised" to switch mobile phones on at half time in case the special adviser had an instruction are famous in local circles.

The last two national coaches were tested, too. Dutchman Leo Beenhakker resisted when the T&TFF suggested that former stars Russell Latapy and David Nakhid work as his assistant coaches-Nakhid eventually accepted a position as a scout.

When Latapy, at 37, did come back to the fold after discussions with Warner and was trumpeted as a returning hero, Beenhakker quickly pointed out that the "Little Magician" was not guaranteed a squad place for the upcoming qualifier against Guatemala.

Latapy did play and helped inspire Trinidad and Tobago's victory but there was no doubt as to who was calling the shots. On November 15, 2005, with World Cup history at stake, the Dutchman omitted Latapy from the starting line-up and even shunted Yorke to left wing so as to maximise the potential of an in-form Aurtis Whitley.

At Germany 2006, Beenhakker ignored armchair coaches and special advisers by leaving Latapy on the sidelines for most of the nation's World Cup appearance. It was a controversial decision, particularly as Latapy shone when he was introduced against Paraguay, but the strong team spirit Beenhakker inspired by the force of his personality is indisputable.

His compatriot and successor, Wim Rijsbergen, never recovered after having his selection policy dictated to by the T&TFF's infamous "blacklist".

Maturana's own informal test date is set, although fans might argue it is a storm in a teacup. Yorke and Latapy have done more for Trinidad and Tobago football than most over the past two decades. Both still compete at high levels too and, important for the T&TFF, can add glamour to a high-profile occasion.

Latapy did not get the chance to face England at the 2006 World Cup. Yorke, who spent most of his career in England, will be tempted to cross swords again with contemporaries like Steven Gerrard and Wayne Rooney.

But what signal would Maturana send to his own squad by using his most testing warm-up as a fete match?

How do you explain to the likes of Hyland, who came close to a Premiership move to Portsmouth last summer, and Keon Daniel that they must miss the game of their lives thus far so two retired players can have a sweat?

And, more importantly, how does Maturana convince his players that it is he and not Warner who will decide their short-term international ambitions?

Yorke is 36 and a regular player for Sunderland in the England Premier League-one of the most competitive domestic competitions in the world. At present, he is surely still worth a place in the team if he chooses.

He will be 38 by the time the 2010 tournament kicks off, though, and, almost certainly, would have retired or accepted employment in a less strenuous league. Were Yorke to pledge his services to Maturana, it would be an interesting and welcome dilemma. But he is yet to do so.

Latapy turns 40 in August and signs suggest that the curtain is about to be lowered on a memorable career. The Falkirk player has not started a Scotland Premiership fixture since January 2 and played for the entire 90 minutes just three times since last July. Maturana need only look to the opposite bench, this June, for the wisdom of pragmatism over sentiment.

England's new coach, Italian Fabio Capello, ignored pleas from the England Football Association's sponsors and fans to hand David Beckham his 100th cap in a friendly against Switzerland on February 6. Capello refused and explained that he picked his squad solely for football reasons. Beenhakker would concur.
What say you, Maturana?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:43:23 AM by Flex »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner tests coach's selection philosophy
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2008, 11:59:51 PM »
Allyuh really eh know Pacho ...

That aside, Mr. Liburd ah like de inquiry as conceptualised - it's a cut above ...

From today's vantage point the match is already a glorified fete match on paper ... it comes a week before Euro 2008 kicks off, but it should also be engaged as witness of how far our football has progressed over a century and it should be used to exorcise the ghosts of underachievement that dominated many of those 100 years

Capello by himself brings credibility to the fixture as he lines up versus Pacho ... it's up to both staffs to stamp an air of authority on the scene ...

From where I stand this match is bigger than personalities although it willl be viewed by many as an opportunity to revisit the WC 2006 game. I think the best view is the past is the past. We should be looking to address the game from as serious a professional  approach under the circumstances.

I don't see the utility of having this match function as a sort of testimonial game above all else. I want to dismiss England on full terms. I eh checking for marquee players ... blood de youths if they showing they could handle ... this is what the ARG's of the world do on such friendly occasions ... let's keep everything in perspective ... if Beckham could sweat blood before he geh a 100th cap (who knows whether this will be his lucky day), then man and man can understand dey eh no guaranteed nutten ...de two lions will figure in anyway simply because they are lions ... ah think Lasana could admit that even upon 'football reasons' de two lions still justifiable. Non-issue? After all there is an ambassadorial aspect to this fixture as well.

Well, "ISSUE" but this England friendly may not be the determining forum for assessing coaching independence ...
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:06:36 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 12:01:49 AM »
This Fu**ing Jacka*s Warner won't let the people do their job in peace, he hire them so I guess he think he have the right to tell them who to pick for national duty. stueps, Yea let's bring back Latapy and Yorke , maybe they might get ah big contarct in England, after all they need it more than the younger ones coming up ;). Alot of people would love to see our 2 heroes back for the England game but personally I rather see the upcoming talent we have against England's finest.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »
In addition, some of this vibe would be muted if we faced higher calibre competitors in friendlies on a routine basis.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 12:12:28 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2008, 01:04:03 AM »

Maturana ent no Wimp.

He going to play the team he wants and if Jack ent like it den Pacho going to say adios amigos.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2008, 01:16:30 AM »
well, with regard to becks, he has not played in a couple months where as Russell and Dwight are currently playing, so having them play a "FRIENDLY" is not that bad of an Idea....really
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 01:19:21 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2008, 01:26:40 AM »
well, with regard to becks, he has not played in a couple months where as Russell and Dwight are currently playing, so having them play a "FRIENDLY" is not that bad of an Idea....really

England's coach wants to use this game to keep looking at players (if you read into his soft opposition diatribe) The TT coach has to use this game for team development with the WC qualifiers in mind, playing a midfield with 2 players who are not part of his overall plans is just romantic nonsense, the only way he would do it is if Yorke and Latapy announce they are coming out of retirement and want to fill Miller like roles.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2008, 01:35:30 AM »
Boi shot ,what an article dan . So daiz why ,leo ein t pick Latas ,steuppss .
We have to see how these youths playing before ,we say no to the legends ,oui .Cause I want to beat England .

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2008, 01:54:35 AM »
England's coach wants to use this game to keep looking at players (if you read into his soft opposition diatribe) The TT coach has to use this game for team development with the WC qualifiers in mind, playing a midfield with 2 players who are not part of his overall plans is just romantic nonsense, the only way he would do it is if Yorke and Latapy announce they are coming out of retirement and want to fill Miller like roles.
arrite den, I go have to change my opinion about FRIENDLIES as I guess the Coach must use every opportunity to search out his best players and maybe leave romatic situations for fete matches.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2008, 02:07:35 AM »
arrite den, I go have to change my opinion about FRIENDLIES as I guess the Coach must use every opportunity to search out his best players and maybe leave romatic situations for fete matches.

;D ;D So in fete match yuh could meet ah wife ?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2008, 02:11:42 AM »

;D ;D So in fete match yuh could meet ah wife ?
yeah, ya could have moves ON AND OFF de field, I guess :rotfl: :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2008, 03:16:53 AM »
O Gosh NO!!!....I like Maturana style of using young players...E-man you trying to get me vex with this article yes... :rotfl: Great Article it actually would be good if those youths play...Jack warner better keep he tail out of this one...LEAVE THIS MAN LET HIM DO HIS JOB

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2008, 04:32:23 AM »
O Gosh NO!!!....I like Maturana style of using young players...E-man you trying to get me vex with this article yes... :rotfl: Great Article it actually would be good if those youths play...Jack warner better keep he tail out of this one...LEAVE THIS MAN LET HIM DO HIS JOB
I CONCUR! AMEN!                          positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2008, 05:50:48 AM »
This article is stirring up some unnecessary bachannal!!

I ent looking for yuh dey lisana.  In less than one month on the job, you claim to "know" his selection policy?  I agree that the man is looking at youth, but why you stirring up this type of fire so soon.

We have a new coach who is doing something very positive with our football.  Why cant we focus on that? Why are we placing these two individuals on the warpath by force?

And so what if we use that game as a testimonial to our two greatest football ambassadors?

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2008, 07:39:47 AM »
If the game is pre advertised as a testimonial then it would effectively quash dis one time. In all reality from a fan's perspective, especially a fan who was unable to go to the world cup to see the boys play i would love to see Yorke and Latas and even Shaka in the flesh run out for a 45 minutes to cap off memorable international careers in what could be a real jubilee occassion broadcasted in front of the world on home soil. The brazils and argentinas of this world have done similar types of farewell games to commemorate storied players in the past.

I guess in context the coach needs to have full control over his team with no interference whatsover and if Maturana puts his foot down then so be it, the overall objective is 2010, I wouldn't  be opposed to that at all. With respect to preparation for WC qualifiers i am sure 45 minutes as a testamonial against an opponent who is on a "holiday" retreat will not be overly detrimental to any capaign. I guess the only way to discourage this "constructed" potential confrontation is for both parties to come out and state what the intention is for the game early and upfront.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2008, 07:45:55 AM »

I ent looking for yuh dey lisana.  In less than one month on the job, you claim to "know" his selection policy?  I agree that the man is looking at youth, but why you stirring up this type of fire so soon.  One can infer much from Lasana stating facts.

We have a new coach who is doing something very positive with our football.  Why cant we focus on that? Why are we placing these two individuals on the warpath by force?

And so what if we use that game as a testimonial to our two greatest football ambassadors?

ah love it!!

ummmm Andre, there is no where in the article any opinion by Lasana that states he is aware of the coaches selection policy...nowhere at all.

Rather he illustrated the coaches decsion (during his first month) to look toward the future, to wit the selection of youth players, including 6 teenagers and 4 school boys.

Stirring up fire is a rather subjective opinion too.

Lasana used past history to illustrate what the new coach "may face."   He did NOT invent Jack Warner's past antics so he can hardly be accused of "stirring up" anything.  If your emotions have not been necessarily "stirred up" by Jack Warner and HIS antics to date, then ah cyar love it at all.

I find that Mr. Lasana Liburd has conceded indirectly that the new coach is doing something positive, and instead of doing a Wim and whining about black listed players, and the unavailability of players, he has called back whom he sees fit for selection and has by passed experience for potential.  At least thats what I read when I perused the article.

Lasana's history lesson should be taken for what it is.....a lesson, and pattern of interference by Jack Warner, nutten more, nutten less.

And why should we use the biggest footballing friendly in our history to be a testimonial to players who were part of our History?  If Dwight Yorke committs to the qualifying process, then he should be viewed as a possible pick, if he does not, then we should hold a testimonial for him and Latas before the England game.  Admittedly, Lasana made some reference to Jack "interfering" with the coach's selection process by stating that it would be good to see Yorke and Latas make guest appearances during the England friendly.

But......

Why should we turn an opportunity to prepare and hone our warriors for battle into a rum and coca-cola event?

It is rare indeed that the TTFF's scheduled friendlies materialise, so when we can gain valueable experience, we should use the opportunity to expose players, experienced and inexperienced, especially against quality opposition. 

Besides, haven't we named schools and playing grounds after these two footballing ambassadors?  If a testimonial is part of the TTFF's plan for our two most celebrated players, why not bring back the entire WC squad and have a friendly game between those players and the rest of locally  and foreign based players who are vying for a spot on the team that is preparing for 2010?

To be forwarned is to be forearmed, Coach Maturana should take note of  Lasana's article.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 07:52:56 AM by truetrini »

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner tests coach's selection philosophy.
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2008, 09:03:05 AM »
Lasana is right, why are we wasting a valuable friendly that could benefit the youths for a life time on two retired players ? Might be three things.

1. Persuading Yorke to come back.

2. Offering Latapy assistant coach position.

3. More dollars at the gate for Jack.

Something is up.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 09:10:05 AM by Flex »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2008, 10:03:42 AM »
Because the reality of the situation is that NOBODY except the 20 of us local based who going to the game will pay 400 to watch Hyland or Daniel.

However the whole of Trinidad will pay 600 + to see Yorke and Latapy one last time in the flesh vs Gerrard and Rooney.

Progress and Development could take a rest for one more game.

Besides they was lucky to get a sweat vs Guadelope in the first place.

That is the reailty.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 10:32:37 AM »
doh be to surprize YORKE and LATARS dont know nuttin bout wah stinking kobo jack talkin about .
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 10:37:31 AM »
Because the reality of the situation is that NOBODY except the 20 of us local based who going to the game will pay 400 to watch Hyland or Daniel.

However the whole of Trinidad will pay 600 + to see Yorke and Latapy one last time in the flesh vs Gerrard and Rooney.

That is the reailty.

Yuh hit the nail on the head there Touches.

Jack have a game to sell. England is a big draw but England vs Dwight and Latas is the biggest.

if Dwight and Latas play they should ask for a percentage of the gate. Not the profit because we know jack will claim that we take a loss on the game.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2008, 10:42:22 AM »

That is the reailty.

look de answer right dey...who go sell de most tickets

Jack studyin de pocket first and foremost.then after dat he studying he pocket...then he wallet third..then patriotism will be 5th behind he son pocket
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2008, 11:55:18 AM »
We eh developn nutten since after d Wc so 1 more match eh go not make we reach d WC.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2008, 12:26:38 PM »
England squad vs Dwight and/or Latas...yeah I see man spending Visa Application money fuh dat game.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2008, 12:38:55 PM »

That is the reailty.

AMEN
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2008, 02:39:45 PM »

I ent looking for yuh dey lisana.  In less than one month on the job, you claim to "know" his selection policy?  I agree that the man is looking at youth, but why you stirring up this type of fire so soon.

ah love it!!

warner light this fire when he suggested that he might bring back Latas and Yorke.  With time so short every minute of every game should be used to prepare the team for the WC campaign.

but nobody cyah deny it would be sweet to see them both play in that game vs England

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2008, 02:54:23 PM »
The key question is..

Is this England game a World Cup preparation game or a centennial celebration fixture?

Seeing as from all indications, it is the latter, it is reasonable that two of our football's biggest heros could be honored in such a game and invited to play. There are ways in which the arrangement can be done without having the match lose its competitive edge.

Now I could be mistaken, but I'm almost sure Romario was either a part of a similar arrangement with the Brazilian team, or there was clamour for it long after he retired..

I think Lasana jumping the gun with the inference in the article that the suggestion will initiate a clash of heads between Maturana and Warner over team selection policies. It still too early to be raising that kinda bacchanal, cause for all you know, Maturana might be receptive to the idea.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2008, 03:11:13 PM »
Agreed...but this behavior is nothing new for Jack. In 1985 when Clint Marcell made his debut at the senior level for T&T at the HCS vs Gothenburg of Sweden...JW came to the lockerroom after the team had warmed up and instructed the coach (Dutch man...I don't recall the name)that Clint must play. Clint did play and his opportunity came at the expence of another young (21 year old-Renrick Jones) player who was at the time the country's leading goal scorer.He was made to undress from his T&T uniform on the night he was also making his debut. Needless to say that was the end of his career.Anyone on here who know of this player might attest to his abilities.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »
Marcelle actually made his debut against Swedent. Not Gothernburgh.

Zchwartikus was the Coach.

We got 5-0 in that game.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2008, 05:37:32 PM »
Marcelle actually made his debut against Swedent. Not Gothernburgh.

Zchwartikus was the Coach.

We got 5-0 in that game.

VB
VB - you're correct, it was Sweden and that was the score ...I could not remember the coach's name. Anyway, do you know who Renrick Jones (Jonesy)was. He was playing for Maple at the time, and later played for ASL before moving to Brooklyn.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2008, 05:48:06 PM »
is Mr Liburd reporting, commenting or hypothesizin and joinin the ranks of seer men......as someone said if he(Maturana) is receptive, he damn if he do, an damn if he don't...is one ting to bash Jack, buh doh put the new coach in more headache than he need nah...he come with ah open mind, let Jack close it if dah is how it must go, buh let we (Lisana is one ah we imo)) doh be ah part of that closure/pressure tactic..what jus to say....we did tell him so....ah doh think he go listen to we (fans) before anybody else...so let Maturana decisions take it's coure, an not..Patriot or Valderama did tell im what to do...dahs why we get what we get...some go sing either way...."as long as ah get it, ah ...."

easy Mr. Liburd doh jump the gun  

1]; } ?>