April 28, 2024, 04:01:20 PM

Author Topic: Fidel Castro announces retirement!!!  (Read 13952 times)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fidel Castro announces retirement!!!
« Reply #120 on: February 25, 2008, 12:28:56 AM »
Nah Castro was still a big man in hemispheric politics. And a despot. That is my opinion from day one. How is that backing down?

And I still say history will be kinder to Castro than Bush.

I certainly will be.

I see yuh running round the forum at this blasted frigging hour in the morning like a soucouyant crossing a gravesite.

Allyuh have good energy to burn yes.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: February 25, 2008, 05:31:38 AM »
And one thing too...despite themselves yuh never see a monkey chant at an NFL football, basketball or baseball game eh.

...actually Patrick Ewing might have ah thing or two to say about his experiences on the road, both while at Georgetown and later on with the Knicks.

truetrini

« Reply #122 on: February 25, 2008, 07:37:28 AM »
Nah Castro was still a big man in hemispheric politics. And a despot. That is my opinion from day one. How is that backing down?

And I still say history will be kinder to Castro than Bush.

I certainly will be.

I see yuh running round the forum at this blasted frigging hour in the morning like a soucouyant crossing a gravesite.

Allyuh have good energy to burn yes.

Looks like you have yuh soucouyant permit too...or yuh is maco?  LOL  Yuh following me around de forum, jes doh start singing Suck meh Soucouyant, and we good!~

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 25, 2008, 12:38:49 PM »
castro could take a few lessons from ghaddafi. decades gone past and ghaddafi is one of the few dictators that come in from the cold. the green book is fundamentally anti-capitalist, but ghaddafi move smart and stay out of conflict. libya even had the bomb. ghaddafi is a true survivalist.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 25, 2008, 01:08:22 PM »
And one thing too...despite themselves yuh never see a monkey chant at an NFL football, basketball or baseball game eh.

...actually Patrick Ewing might have ah thing or two to say about his experiences on the road, both while at Georgetown and later on with the Knicks.

Yes, fair enough.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: February 25, 2008, 01:10:54 PM »

thats just wrong..funny..but wrong.....allyuh leave Patrick be,he out of the limelight and the days of scarin chirren is over
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 25, 2008, 10:33:25 PM »

thats just wrong..funny..but wrong.....allyuh leave Patrick be,he out of the limelight and the days of scarin chirren is over

It was before my time...but I read about the abuse he endured in the Big East...then later on in the NBA, people in Boston holding up posters of a monkey and throwing bananas on the floor.

Kinda shit tuh make yuh slit ah man throat in a dark alley if yuh ketch him.

truetrini

« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2008, 06:55:53 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7270179.stm

Cuba signs human rights pledges

Cuba freed Omar Pernet Hernandez and other dissidents this month
Cuba has signed two legally binding human rights agreements at the UN in New York, just days after Raul Castro was sworn in as the new president.
The covenants - part of the UN Bill of Human Rights - commit communist Cuba to freedom of expression and association, and the right to travel abroad.

Correspondents detect a possible signal of a shift in human rights policy.

Critics of the Castro government have called on it to make good on the agreements by freeing dissidents.

Cuban Foreign Minister Felipe Perez Roque, who signed the agreements, rejected suggestions of any link to the recent change in power, insisting they merely "formalised" rights enjoyed by Cuban citizens since the 1959 revolution.

Call for releases

Last December, Mr Roque announced his country's intention to sign up to the two agreements, saying Cuba would allow scrutiny by the recently established UN Human Rights Council in 2009.

Raul Castro took over power on Sunday

One is a covenant on civil and political rights, and the other concerns social, economic and cultural rights.

Previously, Cuba had resisted scrutiny by the UN Human Rights Commission - the predecessor of the Human Rights Council - accusing it of pro-US bias.

It is believed that at least 200 political prisoners are currently being held in Cuba.

uba freed Omar Pernet Hernandez and other dissidents this month
Carlos Lauria of the Committee to Protect Journalists in New York called on Cuba to follow up its signing of the covenants and "immediately and unconditionally release the 22 independent journalists currently imprisoned for their work".

"The failure to do so would render its adoption of this important treaty [the UN Bill of Human Rights] meaningless," he added.

Cuban trade unionist Pedro Alvarez and three other Cuban political prisoners were released on health grounds earlier this month, and flown to Spain.

The 60-year-old said that the Cuban authorities had given him the choice to remain in prison or go into exile.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 28, 2008, 07:06:52 PM »
One is a covenant on civil and political rights, and the other concerns social, economic and cultural rights.
Previously, Cuba had resisted scrutiny by the UN Human Rights Commission - the predecessor of the Human Rights Council - accusing it of pro-US bias.
Very GOOD to hear,
but curious to know why now? Commision versus Council, same UN Human Rights programs but different names. Nice move though.

The USA has gone through rough times, like during McCarthyism and also under John Edgar Hoover. maybe not to the extent of measures in Cuba but terrible none the less for those american citizens whose lives were ruined during these times mentioned.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>