April 28, 2024, 01:16:01 PM

Author Topic: Fidel Castro announces retirement!!!  (Read 13950 times)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fidel Castro announces retirement!!!
« Reply #60 on: February 20, 2008, 01:24:21 PM »
da word benevolent is what raise yuh pores eh?...ah shoulda choose another word
ah say de las 8 years...anybody who get apponted wasnt ah democrat

Nevertheless, like yuh say you have 'facts' and I have opinions...we go leave it so
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »

What amnesty international said about T&T jails?

truetrini

« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2008, 02:20:51 PM »
da word benevolent is what raise yuh pores eh?...ah shoulda choose another word
ah say de las 8 years...anybody who get apponted wasnt ah democrat

Nevertheless, like yuh say you have 'facts' and I have opinions...we go leave it so

benevolent get meh yes, besides he is an asshole, not the only one by the way, but one of de biggest, in the mould of Bush.

dcs, show me what Amnesty Int, says about we political prisoners.  steups yuh playing dotish today or what?  Trinis cyar leave T&T?  We have political prisoners and prisoners of conscience in T&T?

wham to you?

manning have yuh tisic

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 20, 2008, 02:23:28 PM »
cuba should take lessons from the usa on how to run prisons.

truetrini

« Reply #64 on: February 20, 2008, 02:28:01 PM »

hey me eh making excuses fuh de American injustices yuh know, I jes saying dat castro is ah c**t, and should dead.

who vex lorse.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 20, 2008, 02:33:56 PM »

hey me eh making excuses fuh de American injustices yuh know, I jes saying dat castro is ah c**t, and should dead.

who vex lorse.

I juss have to read and laugh sometimes.  Yuh say Castro has been bad for the Cuban people and is time he move on...man come saying "he ent as bad as saddam and Bush".  And???  Who give ah fuk about Saddam and Bush, time fuh two ah dem tuh move tuh fuk along too...but dat is not the point.  The point is to assess the state of Cuba, not the state of Cuba relative to somewhere else.  If you make every argument relative then you will have no firm basis upon which to argue because you will always find some thing or place better or worse than your locus.  It's an objective assessment using as many sources as possible, not a comparative study...it's not that difficult to understand.

... and Dutty, fuh ah man who profess to have visited on a couple occasions I surprise to find out that you don't know Cubans aren't allowed to stay in the hotels.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 20, 2008, 02:34:35 PM »

who vex lorse.

whappen? yuh fraid to say anything about yuh own president? :devil:  

remember. the wiretapping law IN EFFECT.

truetrini

« Reply #67 on: February 20, 2008, 02:37:29 PM »
Bakes doh bodder with dem, dey call me captain america and ting because i find America better than up north and down south in Cuba too.

no big thing, I doh like Bush and dem republicans dat asylum does support at all:)

but america stick in some ah dem craw..bad, bad bad.

I tired say what I have tuh say about Bush, I jes tired ah de sweeping generalizations about people in de US and how bad de US is....steups...like Vancouver is zgod's giftuh civilization..dais all.

Bush could haul he stink c**t...i is ah democrat

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #68 on: February 20, 2008, 02:38:43 PM »
I want to hear people views on the embargo ..... is election time in the US so what people saying and where do you stand on that issue.
I argue it will have a bigger impact on Cuba than Fidel stepping aside or having elections because it is not clear at all the Cuban people will not vote for the current ruling party.

truetrini

« Reply #69 on: February 20, 2008, 02:42:32 PM »
I want to hear people views on the embargo ..... is election time in the US so what people saying and where do you stand on that issue.
I argue it will have a bigger impact on Cuba than Fidel stepping aside or having elections because it is not clear at all the Cuban people will not vote for the current ruling party.

steups, the exiled Cubans in Miami and other parts of the world doh want the mebargos l\ifted...yuh should be asking dem why since dem is de ones who have friends and family still living dey.

maybe yuh didnt know dat eh...castro own daughter hating on him.

ask yuhself why?

I never like embargos as the small man, the oppressed ones suffer the most, the dictator digs in and has the limited resources at his disposal.

no i doh support embargos of that nature.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #70 on: February 20, 2008, 02:45:56 PM »

I know about the Cubans in Florida and I cud give a rats ass what they want....they eh the purest of heart lot.
Tell me what the people who decide to STAY in Cuba have to say. It quite obvious what the ones who leave would say...that eh any kinda revelation.

I hate when people make sweeping generalizations about anti-US sentiment when discussing anything that might reflect badly on their country...real peanut brain ting....or insecurity not sure  lol

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 20, 2008, 02:49:30 PM »

honestly, the embargo being lifted or not would seem to be the smaller point. the bigger one will be the transformation of cuba's state-run economy to something more market-oriented - a likely precondition for cuba's reintegration into the world order.

lots of horror stories to come.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2008, 03:14:27 PM »

I know about the Cubans in Florida and I cud give a rats ass what they want....they eh the purest of heart lot.
Tell me what the people who decide to STAY in Cuba have to say. It quite obvious what the ones who leave would say...that eh any kinda revelation.

I hate when people make sweeping generalizations about anti-US sentiment when discussing anything that might reflect badly on their country...real peanut brain ting....or insecurity not sure  lol
Care to provide concrete examples...or is this yet another case of you talking out yuh ass?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2008, 03:37:29 PM »
Bakes doh bodder with dem, dey call me captain america and ting because i find America better than up north and down south in Cuba too.

no big thing, I doh like Bush and dem republicans dat asylum does support at all:)

I tired say what I have tuh say about Bush, I jes tired ah de sweeping generalizations about people in de US and how bad de US is....steups...like Vancouver is zgod's giftuh civilization..dais all.

Bush could haul he stink c**t...i is ah democrat

so ... yuh is a jackass. :devil:  ;)

to people outside of the usa, there is no real difference between a democrat and republican. for a long time now, the usa has pursued a bipartisan foreign policy. the real question in 2009 will be if the democrats break from this long, safe tradition and repudiate ANY of what bush has enacted on the international stage. in particular, the grand strategy elucidated by bush early in his first term. let me tell you, that would be an HISTORIC occasion (applause to whomever can name the last president to do so).

looking at the leadership candidates: mccain, clinton, obama – NONE of them have the brass or capital to break from this trajectory. which means, the “neoconservative” doctrines enshrined in the policy directive will continue to be the basis for US foreign policy. so is same old from the US of A come 2009.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2008, 03:46:33 PM »

allyuh could make people work and waste time with the spoon feeding

truetrini

« Reply #75 on: February 20, 2008, 06:27:14 PM »

allyuh could make people work and waste time with the spoon feeding

what shit yuh talking in trute?

what people who stay in Cuba?  Cubans eh free to travel!  Like yuh really 4 Cop?

people leaving dey by de boat loads tuh come tuh de US, and dem Cubans in Miami dem have family and frens dey...in-laws, grannies, etc....dem is de ones tuh talk to....not dem who cyar open dey mout in Cuba for fear of jail!

but I parroting yankee propaganda...ent?

truetrini

« Reply #76 on: February 20, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »
Let me clarify a little here.

1.  I believe that the USA"s policy toward Cuba had little to do with Castro as a brutal and evil man, and his human rights record, as the US has been in bed but more to do with US business interests and the fact that he was "rude" to the US.

2.  I dislike Castro as much as I dislike Bush, saddam, Osama, And dse rest ah dem despotic leaders because he is NOT a nice man, he is NOT  benevolent in any way shape or form and began rounding up opponents right away and continued to do so throughtout his "rule."

3.  Castro began as a hero and ended as a dictator....sour taste...bad man, killed and jailed opponents for years.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2008, 11:04:31 AM »

PM: Castro is my friend

By ROXANNE STAPLETON-WHYMS
Trinidad & Tobago Newsday
Thursday, February 21 2008

Caricom brothers: Prime Minister Patrick Manning and Barbados Prime Minister David Thompson take in a guard of honour at the Diplomatic Conference Cen...

“THE ENDURING legacy of Cuba’s former president, Fidel Castro, is the acknowledgment of his contributions to the development of Cuba and the right of small nations to self determination.”

Barbados Prime Minister David Thompson made this statement yesterday, during a media conference at the Diplomatic Conference Centre, St Ann’s during his first official visit to Trinidad and Tobago.

“ I think everyone of us who live in small nations throughout the world has to be grateful for the particular perspective that the people of Cuba have adopted,” Thompson said, commenting on Castro’s announcement on Tuesday that he has stepped down as the president of Cuba.

Manning described Castro’s resignation as a surprise to him, noting that his ill health had a major role to play in that decision.

“President Castro has been a friend to many in the Caribbean, including myself. There’s hardly a country in the Caribbean who is in a position to say they have gone to the Government of Cuba for assistance of one kind or the next and it did not come,” said Manning.

He recalled how he turned to Cuba where he had heart surgery in 1998.

“ I was faced with the issue of a major heart problem requiring surgery that was very expensive in TT and in respect to which, there were no proper arrangements in place in this country. It was President Castro who made the health services of Cuba available to me. As a result of which today I have two artificial valves in my heart and just for the record also a pacemaker. But I am operating better than most of you,” Manning joked.

He said he would very shortly pen a letter to Castro, to thank him for his services to the Caribbean.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2008, 11:18:38 AM »
wait, I go have to change my view of Manning ;D ;D
he and Fidel are Comrades
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2008, 11:47:55 AM »
anybody see sicko?

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2008, 12:02:23 PM »
All yuh neva hear d story dat say Fidel was drowning and dey save him he brudder worse.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

leroy

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2008, 11:34:29 AM »
Eclipse of a lone star
published: Sunday | February 24, 2008

Dr. Orville Taylor, Contributor

If Jamaican black men could replicate the formula for Fidel Castro's political longevity, all of the sellers of 'Afrodesiacs' would gain a bumper crop. As in the classic Prince Buster song of the 1960s, "you lick him up, you lick him dung, him bounce right back. What a hard man fi dead."

At 81, Fidel Alejandro Castro Ruz is by far the star of the drama of the Caribbean 20th-century geopolitics. Like an old gunfighter in those corny spaghetti westerns we used to watch as children, he has ridden off into the sunset, removed from office not by any of the external efforts of the last 50 years, but by time, age and illness.

Like 80 per cent of Jamaicans, Castro is the product of an unwed mother, although that is not the reason that the United States considers him to be a 'dirty bastard'. He survived murder attempts from as far back as the 1950s, threats to blow his country off the map, the decline of his main benefactor, the Soviet Union, and 10 American presidents.

His tenure as president of Cuba spanned 12 Summer Olympic Games and saw the Caribbean produce two of its three greatest quarter-milers ever, his own Alberto Juantorena de Danger and our Bertland Cameron. Unless watching from his surveillance monitors, he missed Cameron's epic run in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, the most spectacular since Herb McKenley's 44.6 leg in 1952.

Sanctions

He has seen sanctions against his country, the Korean War, Vietnam, the liberation of Zimbabwe, the imprisonment, release and ascendancy of Nelson Mandela, the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, the support and toppling of Saddam Hussein by the United States. Castro has witnessed the deployment of weapons of mass destruction in the 1960s to 1980s, and those of 'mass distraction' in the new millennium.

An atheist, his name is ironically prophetic. Fidel, means 'faithful' and his surname can literally be translated as 'I castrate'. He has stuck faithfully to his revolution and has excised the manhood of all that have tried to remove him.

A rebel from his teenage years, he led a strike by workers on his own father's plantation at age 13. With brilliance greater than 150,000 missing Cuban bulbs, he excelled academically and went on to become a lawyer. Deeply moved by poverty, inequality and the dominance of American interests in his country, he joined the popular Cuban People's Party. This party was thwarted in its bid to become the legitimate government by a military takeover by Fulgencio Batista in 1952. This led to a failed coup attempt by Castro, his imprisonment, release and ultimate success in 1958.

This is not intended to rehash his well-known biography, and certainly it is not to cast him as a hero. Castro is a product of historical forces. One of the negative features of Spanish de-colonialisation policy was that it did not leave structures of democracy in internal governance. As a result, the leaders who emerged from the mid-1800s to the early 1900s were strong area dons, who jostled among themselves for power. These 'Caudillos', as they were called, wrested control of government via coups d'etat and became unelected presidentes.

General Batista was one of these. Although friendly to American interests and the ruling classes, he did little for the masses. Thus, despite high levels of industrialisation, poverty increased. Jamaicans living in Cuba disliked him not because of his surname as we are stereotyped, but because of the blatant racism that relegated Cuban blacks to second-class citizens.

Several attempts were made to dislodge Castro, but he consolidated his popularity, improved the lot of the small Cuban man, virtually eradicated illiteracy and made Cubans the healthiest in the hemisphere, with a life expectancy of more than 80 years. While it is true that he has an oppressive state apparatus, the average Cuban loves him.

He is by no means a saint. He has stifled dissent, prevented the development of a coherent opposition, and jailed scores of political dissidents and journalists. It would be impossible to write a column such as this in Cuba. Under the aegis of the Russians, he sent troops into several wars in Africa and the region. His support was crucial in the 1979 coup in Grenada, which overthrew Eric Gairy and brought into power the ill-fated People's Revolutionary Government.

Although, it is by now accepted that during the Michael Manley era between 1974-1980 there were Western foreign operatives, the Cuban presence here was pervasive. True, thousands of Jamaicans got trained as doctors, dentists, brigadistas and teachers, among others. But Ambassador Estrada crossed the line by making derisive statements about the Opposition, thus, interfering in the democracy and internal politics of our own nation-state.

Symbolic connection

Nevertheless, as we close off an era with his retirement, it is difficult not to make a symbolic connection with Barack Obama's rising star. The next major primary that he faces is in Texas. That state has one of the largest Hispanic populations and is the last place in the United States that blacks were set free. Its flag, like the Cuban, is red, white and blue, with a white star in the middle to the left.

One of the major achievements of Castro was to reduce the levels of official racism. Interestingly, in 1961, the year that Obama was born, the Democrats in the US attempted to assassinate him. Obama faces the wife of the president, who passed the Helms-Burton law increasing sanctions against Cuba in 1996.

Obama is willing to talk to Cuba unconditionally, Hillary says no. Who will star and whose moon will get eclipsed in a black hole? Bet Fidel is watching faithfully.

Dr. Orville Taylor is senior lecturer in the Department of Sociology, Psychology and Social Work at UWI, Mona****

I remember when 50,000 troops went to Angola.Alot of people thinks that action by Cuba was the beginning of an end to the apartheid era in South Africa.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2008, 12:16:08 PM »
General Batista was one of these. Although friendly to American interests and the ruling classes, he did little for the masses. Thus, despite high levels of industrialisation, poverty increased. Jamaicans living in Cuba disliked him not because of his surname as we are stereotyped, but because of the blatant racism that relegated Cuban blacks to second-class citizens.

Several attempts were made to dislodge Castro, but he consolidated his popularity, improved the lot of the small Cuban man, virtually eradicated illiteracy and made Cubans the healthiest in the hemisphere, with a life expectancy of more than 80 years. While it is true that he has an oppressive state apparatus, the average Cuban loves him.
Batista, another Puppet of the USA "foreign policy". I have to say "foreign policy" as historically it has left a lot to be desired of around the world....There are MANY instances of the USA "foreign Policy" supporting ANIMALS. NOBODY on this forum could deny THAT...
as long as they say that they were against "Communisn", they were "in like Flynn" with the foreign policy of the usa. Ah Lie ?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 12:18:46 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 24, 2008, 12:31:21 PM »
Obama's policy on Cuba is far more sensible than Hillary's.

Castro may have been a despot, but he was able to shelter Cuba from some of the excesses of modern socio-economic  pressures that plague T&T, Jamaica and other nations. A gradual succession from "socialism" to capitalist structures vis-a-vis China may help Cuba bypass economic servitude and criminal activity.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 24, 2008, 12:34:58 PM »

Castro may have been a despot, but he was able to shelter Cuba from some of the excesses of modern socio-economic  pressures
very well said there Zando.....

diz you man? ;)
 ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 24, 2008, 02:27:04 PM »
West Coast, i agree with truetrini, it is obvious you have an axe to grind with Bush / USA

and i can understand why you and others here have a problem with US foreign policy etc. i really do

but it really does you no credit when you express support or admiration for someone who is, and this is an uncontested fact, someone who is just as guilty - if not more so - of committing the same heinous crimes as Bush / USA

these include

imprisonment without trial
torture
murder
military intervention into other countries affairs

sheltering Cuba from "some of the excesses of modern socio-economic pressures" is not enough to absolve Castro from being a brutal murderous dictator imo

Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 24, 2008, 02:54:46 PM »
West Coast, i agree with truetrini, it is obvious you have an axe to grind with Bush / USA

and i can understand why you and others here have a problem with US foreign policy etc. i really do

but it really does you no credit when you express support or admiration for someone who is, and this is an uncontested fact, someone who is just as guilty - if not more so - of committing the same heinous crimes as Bush / USA

these include

imprisonment without trial
torture
murder
military intervention into other countries affairs

sheltering Cuba from "some of the excesses of modern socio-economic pressures" is not enough to absolve Castro from being a brutal murderous dictator imo

In your opinion, is Bush a "brutal murderous dictator"?

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 24, 2008, 02:59:52 PM »

Castro may have been a despot, but he was able to shelter Cuba from some of the excesses of modern socio-economic  pressures
very well said there Zando.....

diz you man? ;)
 ;D

:devil: Dat fella was an unacknowledged genius. Up to today nobody can write lyrics as scandalous as De Whip or Iron man

http://www.ecaroh.com/calypso/zandolie_greatesthits.htm
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 03:06:01 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 24, 2008, 03:30:24 PM »

In your opinion, is Bush a "brutal murderous dictator"?

Bush has murdered plenty, but he is no dictator. That is a fact. Of course if he suddenly somehow managed to abolish the US constitution and get the armed forces to support him in setting up a police state with no elections, no opposition, in other words oversee the US in the same manner as Castro, and like Castro when he is too old to govern, hand over power to his brother Jeb, then i will change my opinion and acknowledge Bush to be a dictator

you see i have no problem acknowledging Bush to being a bastard who is guilty of murder and torture etc.

it's a just a shame that many refuse to acknowledge the same about Castro
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #89 on: February 24, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »

McCain say he eh meeting with nobody from Cuba until Fidel dead.

Obama say he meeting with them one-time...he change Hilary pre-conditions and incorporate it a bit into his own policy but as "preparations".

Hilary stance is to make the new regime meet certain requirements on specific issues and encouraging them to work toward it so they can meet but it would take time for that.

Her own seems the most sensible to me and I think closer to what the American public would want.  But that is just my guess.  The crazy cuban-americans in florida would probably support McCain position the most.

1]; } ?>