March 28, 2024, 03:56:50 PM

Author Topic: Luciano Woodley Passes Away  (Read 18766 times)

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Luciano Woodley Passes Away
« on: February 01, 2008, 06:59:15 AM »
Luciano Woodley died at his home around 2:00 am (TT time) today. 

Luci – I would like to say thanks so much for your friendship and the special times we spent on and off the field. 

Love from your partner,

Trevor

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Luciano Woodley Passes Away
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:05:47 AM »
god bless....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 07:10:57 AM »
One of de first men tuh relly rip up de Colleges League. Fly away home meh brother.

For those who never heard of him, read The Luciano Woodley Story
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline dombasil

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2008, 07:45:44 AM »
RIP  Luciano.
I think he scored about 40 goals one college league season. The man could kick a football hard.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2008, 08:06:43 AM »
Damn.......I did'nt even know de man was sick.He was'nt dat old ?

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2008, 08:14:27 AM »
My deepest condolences to his family and friends,may he rest in peace,and move on to the after life....................

truetrini

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2008, 08:18:48 AM »
Deepest condolonces.  He went away too soon.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2008, 08:42:04 AM »
More bad news.

I know hime more as a coach than a player obviously but he was a real cool fella.

A Saints legend.

RIP
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2008, 08:51:14 AM »
Rip bredda...kick ah ball in heaven and remember we down here till we join you...

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2008, 09:27:31 AM »
rip coach

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2008, 10:27:19 AM »
I knew him as coach while i was at CIC. Real sad news.

Deepest condolences to his family, RIP coach
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2008, 10:34:42 AM »
RIP Mr. Woodley, I remembered when he was in charge of the 1st 11 in 97. Condolences to his family.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2008, 10:51:52 AM »
Oh boy more sad news,Luciano gone?this is unbelievable,he will surely be missed by all those that knew and rubbed shoulders with him,on the Soccer field he used to distroy teams and you could not get annoyed with the guy becuase he was such a nice person,i never played with or against him but we became good friends because he played with my brothers at St Marys,i think he was around Jabloteh at one time because of his friend Miguel Hospedales who played in college toether with him.Any how Luciano RIP we will miss your presence.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2008, 01:28:20 PM »
RIP Mr Woodley
de man was a legend at CIC

like de Nalis site cyar handle de traffic today?
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
RIP Mr Woodley
de man was a legend at CIC

like de Nalis site cyar handle de traffic today?

Nalis periodically goes down...dey need to upgrade to a better server or something.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2008, 04:13:27 PM »
WOOA...RIP friend...
anybody here, know of another fellow Belmonite, also from my time, name Brian Coggins, or Wayne Callender (England I think)..I think he was in NY and moved to Miami.. Just want to haile them as time is tight..we(Wayne, Woodley, Brian & I) all did HS track as well as football against each other, our Parents were all neighbours and friends ...let meh know their co-ordinates before to late please  :(

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2008, 04:31:13 PM »
Condolences to the Woodley family and the Saints fraternity. RIP Luci.  God Bless!!! Fellahs, Luciano was one of the best to come out of the Colleges league. Again like many others, born the wrong time. Luci was an excellent striker. Probably scored more hattricks in college football than anyone. I remember him playing for Saints, with Trevor in goal, Keston, Frankie, Neil Williams, Bobby Marquez, Callender, Jobe and other I can't remember their names at this time. I played against him also. He was deceptively fast and just had an instinct for being in the right position.  When Saints and Belmont clash at any venue, it was people "for so". Luci was also on the youth team for the Benson and Hedges tournament in TT. Luci, God Bless. To Trevor and all the CIC frats, Thanks for all the good memories.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2008, 08:23:13 PM »
OK, here is some info on Mr Woodley ya have to go dong de page some eh (dat nalis site dong whole day)

check ah picture

God go ask, "Who Dat?"
and St Peter go say is "Dat Man Woodley" ;)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2008, 08:27:06 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2008, 10:19:37 PM »
My condolences to the family   :(

When I was in Form 1 ('70) and 2 ('71), we used to walk from school to the grounds to watch the "at home" matches.  I remember one game in particular when Woodley scored a hat trick (in '70 I think).  I left T&T after Form 2 but the memories of our first 11 will aways be one of happy times.

I think we all went hoarse with the cheering.

Travel safe Woodley.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2008, 10:29:35 PM »
Luci also scored a hattrick for Leeds in Sunday morning football in the Savannah.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2008, 10:57:27 AM »
Here is a quote from Berris back in 2006

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=19010.msg196086#msg196086

"CiC had ah ah goal scoring machine,de man use to score hattrick at will.. Luciano Woodley he wasn't no flashy dribbler but cudda put de ball in de back ah de net."

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2008, 02:39:39 PM »
You know I'm in Trinidad trying to get Mr. Woodley's phone number to call him to see if he have any players. Now I reading this. Best regards to his family. R.I.P.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2008, 03:20:13 PM »
Imagine he was tuh take his club, Real Dimensions, to a tournament in Suriname dis weekend.

‘Real D’ women for Suriname
Trinidad Newsday

Wednesday, January 31 2007

WOMEN football queens Real Dimension will play in an three-team invitational tournament in Suriname at the weekend.

The “Real D” women, winners of both the Trinidad and Tobago Women Football Association league and FA titles in the just-concluded 2006 season received the invitation fom the Suriname Voetbol Bond.

And they are scheduled to leave for Paramaribo on Friday and play two matches on Saturday and Sunday before returning home on Monday morning.

Coach and ex-St Mary’s College star Luciano Woodley, selected 14 players along with his assistant coach A Randolph and manager Kenrick Hoyte for the tour.

They will play matches against the Suriname women champions and two other top local clubs.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2008, 04:26:58 PM »
Guys, anyone knows if they went ahead with the tour?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2008, 06:40:58 PM »
Rest in peace!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2008, 07:37:59 PM »
Luciano Woodley was a larger than life figure in Intercol soccer.  I grow up in Tobago and was playng football in high school for Bishop's in th elate 68 - 70 and we all wanted to be Luci Woodley.  Many evenings I would try to get home in time to hear the Saints game on the radio.  Bernard Julien, Ian Bain and Greg Gomez I remember from that team.  That was the era of great intercol football as I remember it.

Condolences to the family and may he rest in peace.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 05, 2008, 09:27:08 PM »
This is indeed sad news for me personally. I knew him on a personal level as he gave me a job at M&M Insurance. I used to sweat with him across from the US Embassy. He was a great person, a legendary player, good refree and a friend. RIP
GOD BLESS
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2008, 11:20:25 PM »
'Bound to score' Woodley is dead
By: Glen Mohammed (Express)

Wednesday, February 6th 2008

FLASHBACK: St Mary's College striker Luciano Woodley in his playing days in the Colleges Football League. Woodley died last Friday at the age of 54.

LUCIANO WOODLEY, a goal-scoring machine for St Mary's College in the Colleges Football League in the 1960s and early 70s, is dead.

Woodley, a former president of the Racehorse Owners Association (ROA) and a Port of Spain Alderman, died at his home last Friday after ailing for some time.

The 54-year-old Woodley leaves to mourn his wife Lauren and three children, including the apple of his eye, daughter Leighara.

The funeral service to celebrate the life of Woodley will be held at 10.00 a.m. tomorrow at St Theresa's RC Church, de Verteuil Street, Woodbrook.

Woodley, also known as "Barbie", is best remembered as the prolific Saints striker but he was also a very good athlete, winning from 100 metres to 400 metres while attending Belmont Boys RC and St Mary's.

On the football field, he was referred to as the "hat-trick man", having scored six hat-tricks in the InterCol competition, and he held the record for most goals scored in a single season, netting 34 for St Mary's in 1970.

He played alongside the likes Keston Nancoo, current chairman of the National Carnival Committee, and goalkeeper Trevor Leiba, making the Saints almost unstoppable as they marched to InterCol glory in 1970.

Woodley, who was self-employed having set up his own insurance brokerage firm in St James, was also a football coach.

In 2006 he coached Real Dimension women's football team to success. He also coached Holy Name Convent and St Francois Girls.

US-based T&T and MLS striker Scott Sealey, whom Woodley coached, was considered his protege.

While his first love was always football, the excitement of horse racing took his fancy after his school days. He owned several horses and served on the Trinidad and Tobago Racing Authority (T&TRA) and also the Betting Levy Board (BLB) and took a prominent role in the ROA.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2008, 08:28:17 AM »
When I saw this news, the name immediately rang a bell, but i couldn't place the face and actually even confused him with someone else...

Now seeing that pic I remember him just from the sweat in the savannah at the top of Marli Street. He used to sweat with Ice picks sometimes too..

De man was big and in his fifties, but had real touches and I have to admit I never knew too much about his history until now..

Also you could tell simply by his demeanor that he commanded alot of respect among his peers..

RIP Woodley.

Offline paullwoodley

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
Hello. My name is Paul Woodley Jr. I am Luciano's cousin. My uncle is John Woodley. I have met him only once as I was a little boy then. I am very sorry to hear about Luciano passing away (and my Uncle too last year). As a matter of fact my father Paul Woodley just received this news a few days ago. We the Woodley family (in the USA) express our sincere condolences to our family back in Trinidad! Me being the eldest son of Paul Woodley would like to reconnect with my cousins (Lucia, Ricardo, Jose, Mario) and or 2nd cousins. I never had the opportunity to really know my family back in Trinidad - I wish I did. Reading articles about Luciano makes me real proud! It seems we lived parallel lives in a way. He a soccer star and me as well back in the day. I'm happy he has affected so many people in a positive way. I feel proud to be a Woodley! Please if you know of Luciano's family personally please forward them this post as me and my brothers and sister (James, Jonathon, Danielle) and of course our father Paul would like to re-connect with our family back in Trinidad.  So much catching up to do!!

P.S. We plan on coming to Trinidad this year (don't know when yet) - I myself have never been but I will!! (-;

Love always to my family back in TT, and Luciano's friends!

Paul Woodley Jr.
http://www.myspace.com/pwoodley

1]; } ?>