April 23, 2024, 05:40:26 PM

Author Topic: Hector Sam leaves Notts County.  (Read 3346 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Hector Sam leaves Notts County.
« on: March 05, 2008, 11:32:11 AM »
Magpies striker Sam's on his way
Evening Post

Hector Sam said today he wishes he had been given more of a chance to make the big impact he craved at Meadow Lane.

The 30-year-old striker left Notts County by mutual consent yesterday, three months before his one-year contract was due to end.

He started just seven league games after joining the club from last season's League Two champions Walsall during the summer.

He said: "I am totally disappointed. I arrived with a lot of confidence after a good season with Walsall and I wanted to make a big impact.

"At the start of the season there was a lot of optimism. We all thought we would be challenging for promotion because the club signed some good players, but it never materialised. I don't know why that is.

"It was very frustrating being on the bench and it was difficult to keep my head up at times.

"I tried my best every time I played but it wasn't good enough. Everybody wants to be out there fighting but I never got the opportunity. I was just a bit-part player."

Sam revealed he was told by Notts boss Ian McParland he could leave Meadow Lane in January if he attracted interest from other clubs.

"It was best for me to leave in the end, but I wish the club lots of success," said Sam.

He scored just two goals, against Hereford and non-league Histon, during his short Magpies' career.

The club's other strikers have also badly misfired during the current campaign, and Sam says they haven't had the service.

Spencer-Weir-Daley has scored two league goals, Lawrie Dudfield has netted just one and Jason Lee is still to get off the mark.

Lawrie Dudfield has broken a bone in his wrist in training, but the injury is not expected to rule him out of action.
Sam moves on.
nottscountyfc.premiumtv.co.uk

Notts County today reached a mutual agreement with Hector Sam to terminate the striker's contract.

Trinidadian striker Sam, 30, joined the Magpies last summer on a one-year contract after his release from Walsall.

From 24 appearances in all competitions this season he netted on two occasions, coming off the bench to score against Hereford United in October and also against Histon in the FA Cup First Round in November.

Chances have been limited for Sam since the arrival of frontmen Danny Crow and Ryan Jarvis in the past month, and that prompted Notts to terminate the former Wrexham, Port Vale and Walsall frontman's contract three months early.

Notts Assistant Manager Dave Kevan said: "Hector has worked hard during his time here and we would like to wish him all the very best for the future."
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008, 08:13:55 AM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hector Sam leaves Notts County
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 11:37:52 AM »
Hard luck dey Hector.Need to find ANY team you could get some playing time

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2008, 11:52:02 AM »
Hector is 30 already...how the time flies. He need to come home and sweat yes...
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 12:08:44 PM »
Hector is 30 already...how the time flies. He need to come home and sweat yes...

For once I would agree with that assessment. But best of luck to de man whatever he decides.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008, 12:22:10 PM »
lord this is one hell of a career.

Man gone from benching to starting to not even making the team, to being thanked for services rendered all in four months.

Good luck Hector.

If he finds a club before the end of the season, it will be his 5th in four seasons...Talk about a journeyman...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2008, 12:22:47 PM »
I don't know why some of our players don't pack their bags and come back home and play in the Pro league than go through these waivers and rejections year in year out,i mean is a man's career/future they playing with,i don't know if these guys have familys that depend on them,how can they live on the edge like that not sure where there next bread and butter coming from.

I think if these guys play in the Pro league it will help bring back the crowds,they will be able to earn a descent salary,the level of play in the league will improve etc etc like Marvin,Hector is a kid that grew up with me and i am always concerned about these guys.  

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008, 12:41:21 PM »
whats the average salary for a player in the Pro League home?
WHat kinda money men pulling down in League 1 and Championship?

if the money is similar, especially the leage one money home might not be such a bad idea, but i would give MLS and A-League a try first, seasons aint start yet.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008, 01:01:25 PM »

If the teams could get the crowd to come out on a consistent bases they the players could get more money the league has to grow  it is possible but it would take hard work and an attitude adjustment by the locals 
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2008, 01:07:32 PM »

If the teams could get the crowd to come out on a consistent bases they the players could get more money the league has to grow  it is possible but it would take hard work and an attitude adjustment by the locals 

What i'm trying to say is big names draw crowds,people will come to see players they know are good,these are our recognised players that people know,but what you are saying is correct.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2008, 01:19:41 PM »

What i'm trying to say is big names draw crowds,people will come to see players they know are good,these are our recognised players that people know,but what you are saying is correct.
No offense to Hector Sam but Leonson Lewis came back to play with W Connection and the crowds didn’t come out to see him play and was a bigger name than hector I understand where yah coming from with get most of our big name player back home in the league mite add some interest but I believe and I can be wrong the Trinis would not pay to pro ball they like to much free ness but the teams have to try to bring at there supporters the league alone is not responsible for bring out the crowd the individual team have to pay a big part in that.     
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2008, 02:06:11 PM »

That is not a bad idea, but wid his experience in Europe, ah still feel he cud make ah food in de MLS, den come home and rip it up. HIGHLY BLESSED.
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Hector Sam leaves Notts County.
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2008, 06:31:22 PM »
If Dwight, Shaka and Latas decide to play, I bet the crowd will come back(a little).

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2008, 06:50:30 PM »
D WN and sw.net members will drop everyting dem waggonist dem eh comin 4 Latas etc dey go say dem only home because dey old
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2008, 11:50:09 PM »

Spidey that is nonsense.

The man over there for some time now so he fully acclimatised to 1st world set up.
If he making 1000 lbs (my computer have russian characters) a week and the club paying expenses like housing and meals or over the time he there he buy a lil apartment , that is like 5, 6 times what he could make at home, this is his carrer and the bottom line is make as much money as yuh could make before yuh have to retire.
Coming home what the clubs will pay him ? 6,000 TT ah month max ?

Get real , 30 mean he still have 3, 4 yrs in him. If he could save a 50,000. lbs in that time , he is ah ex QRC man he could come back home buy ah old truck or 2 and make big money from PNM contracts.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2008, 06:37:21 AM »
Next to Clint Marcelle, Sam is/was the most inconsistent T&T player to play in the UK. So I ain't surprised this has happened. And like Clint, Sam could stretch his career in the UK no-problem, if he willing to drop a division and bide his time, Clint went back into League 2 with Darlington/Sc**thorpe from non-league so why not Sam. The US is always an option, would find it difficult to get ah sweat in any half decent Euro-League as they (with Portugal an exception) only now catching on to T&T players. Ah remember  reading a story in a regional paper last year about some Darlington player earning £3,500 a month that ain't much by UK standards but can't see him returning to T&T as I doubt any side back home could guarantee matching that kind of salary on a continuous basis.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2008, 07:14:38 AM »
Well if Hector intend tuh play ball again before de end of de season, he would have to do that outside of England.

By leaving outside of the transfer window, Hector will be unable to sign for another club in the Football League or Blue Square until the window opens again at the end of this season.
http://www.wrexhamafc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10311~1257963,00.html
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2008, 08:45:37 AM »
Hector....nice fella...real funny...I limed with him after a Walsall match in the players lounge...funny enough, it was VZ Notts County...he came on in the 80th min....

sharp dressed man in a pin-stripped suite with 2 big earings....

Ince was making fun of him saying since he in England he never buy a car...and he rents near the training ground so he walk to sessions...smart...

all the best Hector ( great first name by the way)
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:39 AM »

That is not a bad idea, but wid his experience in Europe, ah still feel he cud make ah food in de MLS, den come home and rip it up. HIGHLY BLESSED.

Boy, that MLS hope is a big myth. Outside of Stern and Sealy...nobody ever make it from Trinidad. Everybody get a lil corbeaux and when is time to make space, they are the first name on the chopping block. Even Avery is something of a journeyman and first man to bench whenever the coach change or tactics change.

My opinion is that most times is not a question of talent but of marketability. By bringing in a foreigner from central america or a big name foreigner, they getting more crowd support than from a trini market.

In other words, that going to MLS from outside the US for a trini, hasn't worked yet and i doh see 30 year old Hector Sam from the english lowest division who was not part of the Socawarriors team that went to the World Cup (this is what the fans for any MLS side willl see him as btw, not my opinion) going to change that opinion.

I figure he should come home and get games under his belt, regroup, recapture the magic, the love for the game and try again next season...maybe in Scotland cause that is where most of our strikers find success.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 07:45:43 AM »
Spidey that is nonsense.

The man over there for some time now so he fully acclimatised to 1st world set up.
If he making 1000 lbs (my computer have russian characters) a week and the club paying expenses like housing and meals or over the time he there he buy a lil apartment , that is like 5, 6 times what he could make at home, this is his carrer and the bottom line is make as much money as yuh could make before yuh have to retire.
Coming home what the clubs will pay him ? 6,000 TT ah month max ?

Get real , 30 mean he still have 3, 4 yrs in him. If he could save a 50,000. lbs in that time ,

It depends on his priorites...money or sweat? And right now he unemployed eh...so I don know about how much money he going to be able to save.

Offline Winnipeg Fury

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 08:09:45 AM »

Boy, that MLS hope is a big myth. Outside of Stern and Sealy...nobody ever make it from Trinidad. Everybody get a lil corbeaux and when is time to make space, they are the first name on the chopping block. Even Avery is something of a journeyman and first man to bench whenever the coach change or tactics change.

My opinion is that most times is not a question of talent but of marketability. By bringing in a foreigner from central america or a big name foreigner, they getting more crowd support than from a trini market.

In other words, that going to MLS from outside the US for a trini, hasn't worked yet and i doh see 30 year old Hector Sam from the english lowest division who was not part of the Socawarriors team that went to the World Cup (this is what the fans for any MLS side willl see him as btw, not my opinion) going to change that opinion.

I figure he should come home and get games under his belt, regroup, recapture the magic, the love for the game and try again next season...maybe in Scotland cause that is where most of our strikers find success.

As it is today, many USL First Division sides pay more than MLS sides at the lower end.  Until MLS raises the bar for player salaries (I believe 2.8 million), the money at the lower end of the scale is peanuts (I believe the minimum is 25,000).  And frankly I agree with you, he would not crack an MLS  squad. 

He may be considered a high profile player in USL, and may be able to make some decent coin.

1]; } ?>