March 29, 2024, 04:32:54 AM

Author Topic: Redknapp: Kenwyne is the next Drogba.  (Read 13579 times)

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Redknapp: Kenwyne is the next Drogba.
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:40:08 AM »
Pompey boss: Kenwyne is the next Drogba.
By: Sunderland Echo.
[/size]

Harry Redknapp has described Sunderland's Kenwyne Jones as the new Didier Drogba. And the Portsmouth boss says taming the Black Cats striker this weekend is the key to Pompey continuing their surge towards European qualification.

Redknapp watched as Jones gave his defence a battering in the 2-0 loss at the Stadium of Light last month. The Trinidad and Tobago international has been a revelation on Wearside this season following his £6m summer move from Southampton.

He has helped himself to six goals and given teams a torrid time with his brute strength and power. Redknapp says he see similarities between Jones and Chelsea striker Drogba, with both men possessing the ability to terrorise defences.

The Pompey boss worked with Jones while at Southampton, and knew then he had the assets to make it at the highest level.

He said: "Kenwyne Jones is a threat and I've been impressed with him. "He's a fantastic athlete with a great leap and terrific spring and he caused us problems at the Stadium of Light.

"I've seen him batter a lot of defenders this season. I worked with him at Southampton. He was a player you would be scared to sell unless it was for big money.

"I thought this could be one which comes back to haunt you. He needed to be more aggressive in his play but it seems like the penny is dropping with him. "He could be the new Didier Drogba. That's not impossible. "He's a real handful."

Redknapp also believes Sunderland boss Roy Keane is someone heading to the top of the management tree. He reckons the former Manchester United hero's presence means his side will win their fight to stay in the Premier League this season.

And he lauded his success in getting Jones to fulfil his potential. Redknapp said: "I thought Kenwyne had everything needed to be a top, top player.

"It was all there – but I didn't know whether he'd put it all together. "He was relaxed and I didn't know if he was capable of getting out of that laid-back mode of his, but he's pushed on.

"He has got it all though, believe you me. "Look at him. He has the lot and Roy Keane has managed to get that out of him.

"He should be a top player and I think he is showing that now. "A lot of it is probably confidence. Roy is pushing him and pushing him, and he probably realises what he can achieve now."
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:56:26 AM by Flex »
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
Re: Redknapp talks about Kenwynne
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 06:50:42 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 06:56:04 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY
How many was he scoring at Kenwyne's age at a lower level of football?

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 06:59:24 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY

He has a supporting cast too. Boy why men here jess like tuh pull down dey own  ??? ??? Ah guess Palos know more about football players skill and potential dan Harry Redknapp and dem other managers dat saying de same thing :-\.

Even de New trini coach act like he never seen ah player as good like kenwyne Jones after de friendly. But men here ..................... dey always know better.

Ah guess T&T could never produce something or someone that is de best in de workd. ::)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 07:18:10 AM by Themanfriday »
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 07:06:15 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY

It's not just about scoring goals mate, he is a team player who creates chances for his team. His all round play in phenominal, remember he is playing in a team which has struggled near the bottom of the league all season. He is our best player by far both up front and at the back defending free kickes and corners.

Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 07:16:05 AM »
I had to read over the article to understand a bit what others been disagreeing about. Redknapp just saying that he has the abilities, potential to be a very good player. And I guess to call Drogba is just to help people grasp his conviction. As we alll know what damage Drogba does out there on the field.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 07:21:08 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY

Kenwyne scored 5 goals and had 9 assists this season so far! A total of 14 goals he had a direct impact on in his first season in the premier league....what more yuh want palos?

lol

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2008, 07:21:51 AM »
I had to read over the article to understand a bit what others been disagreeing about. Redknapp just saying that he has the abilities, potential to be a very good player. And I guess to call Drogba is just to help people grasp his conviction. As we alll know what damage Drogba does out there on the field.
Because he play with one of the best clubs in Europe if not the world! if KJ had his service weekly, then you may be able to render a fair assesment.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2008, 07:21:57 AM »
I doubt Redknapp & Keane wrong about Kenwyne...I am sure given an opportunity to play with quality players he will shine... Look at Yorke... People used to say Yorke doh play good for T&T??? But same as Kenwyne, he did not have the caliber of players around him to show his full potential...

truetrini

« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2008, 07:27:13 AM »
I doubt Redknapp & Keane wrong about Kenwyne...I am sure given an opportunity to play with quality players he will shine... Look at Yorke... People used to say Yorke doh play good for T&T??? But same as Kenwyne, he did not have the caliber of players around him to show his full potential...

I don't think it is the calibre of players as much as the WILL and the professional attitude to succeed!

Jones has the potential to be as good as Drogba...the potential, until he starts to score more goals, he will jes have de potential.

That said he creates many opportunities for his team mates as well as makes defence men tizic.

So he is good...but not yet great.

Offline Sandboy

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2008, 07:38:59 AM »
he's looked fantastic in a pretty shit team

I only hope I get the chance to see him surrounded by good players in red and white
( and Sunderland, not Man Utd )
every time I see you falling I get down on my knees and pray

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2008, 07:46:47 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY
How many was he scoring at Kenwyne's age at a lower level of football?

Great point!

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2008, 07:47:27 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY

He has a supporting cast too. Boy why men here jess like tuh pull down dey own  ??? ??? Ah guess Palos know more about football players skill and potential dan Harry Redknapp and dem other managers dat saying de same thing :-\.

Even de New trini coach act like he never seen ah player as good like kenwyne Jones after de friendly. But men here ..................... dey always know better.

Ah guess T&T could never produce something or someone that is de best in de workd. ::)

Also another great point!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Redknapp: Kenwyne is the next Drogba.
« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2008, 08:32:15 AM »
Sounds like Harry wants him

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2008, 08:42:23 AM »

How does that saying go again.... oh yes. "Too late, too late shall be the cry!"
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Online sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2008, 08:56:08 AM »
First season in the Premier,he belongs when people of standing making such parallels to other more established players
It says to me we have a good player who some day we will be saying he is a or was a great player

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2008, 09:00:53 AM »
ah don't know if i is de only one who SOMETIMES does wish dat Sunderland get demoted and Kenwyne get sold? as much as ah want to see Sunderland do well, ah much rather see Kenwyne play on a better team, then yuh ha to study, but what go happen to Carlos?

Can you imagine Kenwyne playing(training everyday)wid Nani/Ronaldo/Scholes/Ferdinand or Terry/Cole/Lampard or the Gunners group?
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008, 09:25:34 AM »
this season
Kenwyne - 5 goals
Drogba- 5 goals

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008, 09:36:23 AM »
ah don't know if i is de only one who SOMETIMES does wish dat Sunderland get demoted and Kenwyne get sold?

Hull!

Alyuh men real short sighted. Trust me, if Sunderland stay up, KJ stock going to go up even more. And ah don't care what Keane say. If a team come with the kind of money that that performance merit, Kenwyne will be on his way out.

KJ moving up and Sunderland staying up are not completely incompatible.

Here's another scenario. Can you imagine Kenwyne benching everyday behind Tevez/Rooney/Saha Drogba/Shevchenko/Kalou Torres/Crouch(god forbid)/Voronin Adebayor/Van Persie/Walcott  ::)

Everything in its time. When KJ ready to move on not a thing in the world going to stop him...

« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:40:56 AM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008, 09:36:30 AM »
Jones has the potential to be as good as Drogba...the potential, until he starts to score more goals, he will jes have de potential.

That said he creates many opportunities for his team mates as well as makes defence men tizic.

So he is good...but not yet great

I agree, especially with the last line

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008, 09:41:59 AM »

sounds like Harry realize he wasnt coach enough to get it out of him.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008, 09:44:05 AM »
In Drogba's first full season in Ligue 1 he scored 17 goals for Guingamp.
He was 23 or 24.
Next season he went Marseille.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 09:47:39 AM by Peong »

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008, 09:47:48 AM »

you really trying to compare KJ from before the WC to KJ now ?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2008, 10:09:51 AM »
He was 23 or 24.
Kenwyne now turn 23 at the end of last year. At Kenwyne age Drogba was still in Ligue 2 at Le Mans. 12 goals over 63 appearances.

"...in January 2002, Didier left Le Mans, to experience Ligue 1 competition for the first time at the age of 24."   

http://www.didierdrogba.com/en/biographie/lemans.asp

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2008, 10:15:50 AM »
speak nothing of the fact that the EPL is much more difficult league to score goals in than league 1..

Drogba himself at the peak of his powers and at the best team in the league found that out himself
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 10:21:41 AM by omarldinho »

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2008, 10:28:49 AM »
Drogba scores goals.

REGULARLY

Kenwyne scored 5 goals and had 9 assists this season so far! A total of 14 goals he had a direct impact on in his first season in the premier league....what more yuh want palos?

lol

ah love it!!
Well me doh know what Palos want nah...Like he want the man blood or wha....If Trinidadian people is not the greatest I doh know nah...lol

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2008, 11:17:45 AM »

you really trying to compare KJ from before the WC to KJ now ?

No Im really trying to say that Harry giving Keane alot of credit for KJ's performances, having coached KJ as well.

Redknapp also believes Sunderland boss Roy Keane is someone heading to the top of the management tree. He reckons the former Manchester United hero's presence means his side will win their fight to stay in the Premier League this season.

And he lauded his success in getting Jones to fulfil his potential. Redknapp said: "I thought Kenwyne had everything needed to be a top, top player.

"It was all there – but I didn't know whether he'd put it all together. "He was relaxed and I didn't know if he was capable of getting out of that laid-back mode of his, but he's pushed on.

"He has got it all though, believe you me. "Look at him. He has the lot and Roy Keane has managed to get that out of him.

"He should be a top player and I think he is showing that now. "A lot of it is probably confidence. Roy is pushing him and pushing him, and he probably realises what he can achieve now."

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2008, 11:23:46 AM »
Did I say something wrong?

Does Drogba NOT score goals?   REGULARLY?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2008, 11:26:03 AM »
He was 23 or 24.

Doh make sense trying to make such literal comparisons. Someone could always argue that the same Drogba..who cost Chelsea $24 million only scored 10 goals in his first season in the EPL. 10 EPL goals is an acheivable target for kenwyne in his first full EPL season. Plus, KJ cost a lot less, playing for a far less talented team and is younger. Drogba also scored 12 EPL goals the season after. Not exactly prolific numbers and not exactly the point either.

The question is, do you really see KJ developing into the kind of player Drogba is, or of similar quality. Some think so and he seems to have the tools. You see flashes of what a good player he can be and with hard work, good health and a little luck, he looks like he could have an outstanding career. We hadda just enjoy de ride and hope the comparisons have real basis

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2008, 12:27:40 PM »
Kenwyne Jones have no right near a Premiership side!!!...IMO  [/b]

:devil: :devil:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008, 12:30:12 PM by brownsugar »
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>