April 29, 2024, 07:54:33 AM

Author Topic: Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland stint.  (Read 11972 times)

Offline Toussaint

• Hero Warrior
  • ...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.
    • View Profile
    • Haiti Spors
Re: Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland stint.
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008, 02:26:21 PM »
The real surprise for me is St. Kitts getting two picks. Its obvious that their program is heading in the right direction. Barnes was obligate to pick at least one Jamaicand and One Trini...to appease both burrell and Warner I suppose.  I hope the camp will be held in the suumertime and not in the cold of winter or even spring. I dont think the kids can handle the winter climate :)

In all fairness, W Connection should take credit for Gerard Williams of St Kitts/Nevis as he has been in their youth program since a very tender age. Andrew Murray of Guyana is also heading to Caledonia AIA this season. Glad to see T&T clubs continuing to help football in our region. W Connection introdued G.Williams to a professional enviorment that imporve the player.

Good luck to all the youths here, hope Leston Paul goes further and follow his country men Yorke, Jones and Edwards and join Sunderland.

I was surprise to see only two Haitians get pick. As Toussaint and Jean was here boasting they pants off. ...  :rotfl:

And RF and Jamaica2000 say Jamaica get 3 pick....  :rotfl:

I kept my pants on, man ;D

In fact, if you go back to my posts you would notice that I gave the source of my information. As a matter of fact, the FHF is in trouble with the media which accuse the FHF staff of being unable to correctly understand Jamaican patois (Barnes)! lol

« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 02:28:07 PM by Toussaint »
...l'arbre de la liberte des noirs.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008, 04:55:55 PM »
Does Leston Paul have a New York connection?  ;D

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008, 04:57:40 PM »
congrats to leston paul....................askin himself the question right now do i go pro i do i finish school..............

he in form 6 now?? small mag jeff??
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2008, 07:18:19 AM »
Where Lionpaw, Ja2099 and RF?

So they ent get One pick self.

After all d skill and how they were the most impressive etc.

steuppssssss

RF right here. what do you mean by this boss? "So they ent get One pick self."

Lets give the youth men a round of applause. Good exposure for all of them. the real surprise for me is St. Kitts getting two picks. Its obvious that their program is heading in the right direction. Barnes was obligate to pick at least one Jamaicand and One Trini...to appease both burrell and Warner I suppose.  I hope the camp will be held in the suumertime and not in the cold of winter or even spring. I dont think the kids can handle the winter climate :)

Its the end of March so its not too bad by North East Standards, but it will probably still feel like Siberia to the lads, should be a full house for the West Ham game on their visit.

In relative terms it would cost the club nothing to give a few of them 2/3 year contracts or so on sort of standard UK "young players wages"( not the silly wages bandied about), because if just 1 makes it it will probably pay for itself by saving the transfer fee alone for ONE decent player.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2008, 07:57:58 AM »
Where Lionpaw, Ja2099 and RF?

So they ent get One pick self.

After all d skill and how they were the most impressive etc.

steuppssssss

RF right here. what do you mean by this boss? "So they ent get One pick self."

Touches, dey was searching for Caribbean players....not Britz... ;D
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2008, 08:35:37 AM »
Love this player I think he has huge potential and can become one of the players we talk about in the future.

Good luck Leston
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008, 10:45:18 AM »
 Good Luck to the youth...Hope he show himself over there

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008, 12:14:34 PM »

T&T's Leston Paul among Digicel's selectees for Sunderland training stint.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

Trinidad and Tobago’s National Under 17 captain Lester Paul will join his fellow c

what is the man name
Lester or Leston

The title of the thread have Leston and in the first line is name is Lester

Més que un club.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008, 01:02:44 PM »
Nobody gon answer kev question?

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008, 01:09:39 PM »
Eight Caribbean U20 footballers from the Digicel Kick Start football Clinics chosen for Sunderland
digicelfootball.com

Impressed by the immense talent seen throughout the region, Sunderland AFC invites an additional two footballers to train at its Academy of Light

Posted on February 23, 2008

Saturday, 23 February, 2008 – Kingston, Jamaica: Digicel Kick Start Clinics Head Coach, John Barnes together with Digicel Group CEO, Colm Delves, and FIFA Vice President, President of CONCACAF and the CFU, Austin Jack Warner, today announced the eight Caribbean U20 footballers who have been chosen to train for one week at Sunderland AFC’s Academy of Light in late March.

Such was the impressive level of talent that was evidenced during the seven week Digicel tour, the English Premier League club has now agreed to take two additional Caribbean players, after John Barnes highlighted the level of talent he encountered at the clinics.

And the recipients of this once in a lifetime opportunity are:

1 Haiti Joseph Guemsley 18 Offensive Midfielder
2 Trinidad & Tobago Leston Paul 17 Midfielder
3 St. Kitts Gerard Williams 19 Midfielder
4 Suriname Emilio Limon 19 Midfielder
5 Haiti Renaud Brisley 18 Offensive Midfielder
6 Jamaica Akeem Brown 17 Midfielder (Right)
7 Guyana Andrew Murray 17 Forward
8 St. Kitts Devaughn Elliott 16 Midfielder

Speaking at the press conference, Colm Delves, Digicel Group CEO, explained: “We are delighted with the fantastic success of our inaugural Digicel Kick Start Clinics and excited about the role this initiative is already playing in the development of our young football talent.

More
“Sunderland AFC has been a magnificent partner in this initiative and we are confident that their relationship with Caribbean football will continue to grow from strength to strength,” added Colm Delves.

The Digicel CEO also acknowledged that the Clinics would not have been made possible without the extraordinary commitment and energy of former England footballer and Caribbean native, John Barnes, who coached all eight clinics in eight countries in the past seven weeks. President Jack Warner and the Caribbean Football Union were also acknowledged as being crucial partners in ensuring that all elements of the Digicel Football Clinics ran smoothly.

According to the President of the Caribbean Football Union, Jack Warner: “These eight players will help bring National pride back into Caribbean football. Guyana, Haiti, St. Kitts & Nevis, Suriname, Trinidad & Tobago and Jamaica now have new young football heroes to recognize. Caribbean football is strong, as recent successes in World Cups have shown, and thanks to this Digicel initiative we have had the opportunity to demonstrate that our young footballers also have the talent and the dedication necessary to make a mark on the International stage.”

Digicel Kick Start Clinics’ Head Coach, John Barnes explained the selection: “In the six weeks of travelling, we have seen an abundance of talent, dedication, togetherness and commitment. It is important for all of the boys to know that the chosen eight players will represent every one of them. They are Caribbean Football Ambassadors and my hope, and I know it is also the hope of Digicel and the CFU, is that their journey to the UK will open people’s eyes to the potential of the Caribbean as an untapped talent pool.”

The eight Caribbean U20 footballers will begin their Journey of Champions on 23 March where they will spend one week training under the guidance of the English Premier League’s Coaches in Sunderland AFC’s Academy of Light. At the end of their week’s training, the young footballers will visit the Stadium of Light to watch Sunderland take on West Ham in the Barclay’s English Premier League.

Digicel is a long time supporter of Caribbean football, partnering with a number of Football Associations where it operates such as the Jamaica Football Federation, the Haiti Football Federation as well as the football associations of Guyana and Suriname, among others. The company is also the title sponsor of the Digicel Caribbean Cup which involves over 30 Caribbean countries and is the Caribbean qualification tournament towards the CONCACAF Gold Cup.

Haiti - Joseph Guemsley

Haiti - Renaud Brisley

Jamaica - Akeem Brown

Suriname - Emilio Limon

Trinidad & Tobago - Leston Paul

Guyana - Andrew Murray

St. Kitts - Gerard Williams

St. Kitts - Devaughn Elliott

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008, 01:41:35 PM »
What is interesting is  St Kitts & Haiti get two selections, while Trinbago and JA only get 1 a piece.
What does that say? If anything at all!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008, 01:56:19 PM »
What is interesting is  St Kitts & Haiti get two selections, while Trinbago and JA only get 1 a piece.

Same things I'm asking.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008, 01:58:12 PM »
In recent years St. Kitts has been scouting and preparing players at an earlier age and keeping them together as teams with more regular training. We instituted a similar approach with our previous U-17. That they getting good results of late is not really a surprise, just a confirmation. They already have an U-20 in training for 2009 WC and they currently organizaing a National U-13 program.
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2008, 02:42:21 PM »
What's more interesting to me is that not a single defender and only one forward has been chosen.

Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2008, 02:48:52 PM »

Actually I'm not surprised by St. Kitts...I saw them some years ago at an under-20 tournament where the looked very good against the likes of Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica. The St. Kitts footbal lprogram is being run by a Jamaican TD.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2008, 02:50:33 PM »
Palos I was thing the same thing it seem like all we focus on is forwards and midfielders while our defenders are life behind the only way for us to improve we need better defenders and this is for the whole Caribbean not just TnT the only way we can improve is with better competition.   
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2008, 02:52:22 PM »
Palos I was thing the same thing it seem like all we focus on is forwards and midfielders while our defenders are life behind the only way for us to improve we need better defenders and this is for the whole Caribbean not just TnT the only way we can improve is with better competition.   

yeah boy Bally... Soca Labourers cyah find ah defender no way no how....
Ah feel ah putting you in de back next time yuh show up!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2008, 02:55:49 PM »
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: ok that 's a big contract extension
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2008, 03:30:55 PM »

The defender thing was almost sadly a given.

The forward thing was surprising seeing that is mostly forwards does get contracts overseas.

The last Caribbean defender (maybe the only) I remember getting an overseas contract WITH A TOP TEAM would be Ricardo Gardner.  I may be wrong.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2008, 03:47:03 PM »

The forward thing was surprising seeing that is mostly forwards does get contracts overseas.

The last Caribbean defender (maybe the only) I remember getting an overseas contract WITH A TOP TEAM would be Ricardo Gardner.  I may be wrong.

If Bolton qualify as a top team then Glasgow Rangers should qualify too...

Unless yuh talking bout straight from the Caribbean to a top team.... but either way yuh point still stands
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 03:50:58 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2008, 04:04:42 PM »

Actually I'm not surprised by St. Kitts...I saw them some years ago at an under-20 tournament where the looked very good against the likes of Costa Rica, Mexico and Jamaica. The St. Kitts footbal lprogram is being run by a Jamaican TD.

Maybe  but they were shite against Beliez recently. They were soundly beaten
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Reggaefan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2008, 04:36:59 PM »

If Bolton qualify as a top team then Glasgow Rangers should qualify too...

Unless yuh talking bout straight from the Caribbean to a top team.... but either way yuh point still stands

I think the point Palos was trying to make is that Gardener was the last defender to move straight from a caribbean club to a top club in the UK. I believe Andrews played at Livingston before going to rangers...although I might be wrong. In Gardener's case however, Bolton was still playing in the then Division 1 when they signed him...he helped them to promotion the following season, and has been with them almost 10 since.

Offline najee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2008, 06:54:55 PM »
Just like Observer...only one T&T player chosen...then looking at the other selection one Jamaican...two from Haiti and two from St.Kitts and one from Guyana...... since the Dicicel finial...Haiti as been on the raise...but the shocker is St.Kitts and how there youth programe is being run...Mr. Lincoln what really going on with our youth program....we need to open our eyes and see what going on with the other caribbean country  they are looking to closed the gap on country like T&T and Jamaican

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 10:03:58 AM »
i think what surprised Haitian fans about the selections made was that Fabien Vorbe wasn't selected. However, most of us still remember Joseph Guemsley's beautiful goal against Japan during last summer's FIFA U-17 World Cup. That goal was incredible!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bgxaIRa1Vc

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2008, 10:24:48 AM »
i think what surprised Haitian fans about the selections made was that Fabien Vorbe wasn't selected. However, most of us still remember Joseph Guemsley's beautiful goal against Japan during last summer's FIFA U-17 World Cup. That goal was incredible!

I thought vorbe was going to france
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2008, 10:48:26 AM »

Yes but he's still part of Haiti's U-20 squad. I've heard that part of the reason he wasn't chosen was because he's already heading to Europe soon so it helps to pick other players who need the exposure.

Fabien Vorbe

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2008, 11:01:25 AM »

Yes but he's still part of Haiti's U-20 squad. I've heard that part of the reason he wasn't chosen was because he's already heading to Europe soon so it helps to pick other players who need the exposure.

Fabien Vorbe

oh seen
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
He have a footballing family name. Philipe Vorbe was a big big big player for Haiti. Talk about graceful, with vision. One of my faves of Caribbean football
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2008, 01:12:17 PM »

I think Kenwyne went to Southampton in the EPL as a defender. He never play there, but it counts as defensive talent getting a contract in a top league.

1]; } ?>