April 28, 2024, 06:18:02 AM

Author Topic: Football family 'must help Gazza'  (Read 2035 times)

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Football family 'must help Gazza'
« on: February 22, 2008, 09:56:26 AM »

Football family 'must help Gazza'

Former Tottenham captain Gary Mabbutt has called on the world of football to come to the aid of Paul Gascoigne.
Gascoigne, 40, has been sectioned under the Mental Health Act and Mabbutt, a friend and former team-mate at Spurs, wants his ex-colleagues to help out.

"Football always talks about itself being the football family," Mabbutt told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"At the moment, one of that football family's most talented sons needs desperate help."

Mabbutt added: "Paul needs to get himself concentrated and focused on something else and hopefully within the game of football."

Gascoigne was detained on Thursday following an incident at a Newcastle hotel and is currently receiving medical treatment.

Born in Dunston, Tyne and Wear, Gascoigne came through the youth ranks at Newcastle before spending three years there as a professional from 1985-88.

Current Newcastle manager Kevin Keegan , who played for the club while Gascoigne was a trainee, insists his sectioning in not necessarily a bad thing.

"Everybody out there who has seen he's been sectioned will have a look at it and be a bit shocked by it," he said.

Gazza's still like a young boy - all he wants to do is play the game and his body doesn't allow it any more
Paul Parker, former England team-mate 

"But having talked with his father and sister this week, this is the best thing that could have happened for him.

"There is now a chance for the people who care and can help him to get the opportunity to do so."

Since leaving Everton as a player in 2002, the former England midfielder has played for Burnley, Gansu Tianma in China and Boston United, while his stint ill-fated stint as Kettering manager lasted just 39-days.

His former England team-mate Paul Parker understood where Mabbutt was coming from but said Gascoigne has been given a number opportunities both inside and outside football, all of which have ended in failure.

"Gazza's had a few opportunities in football, he's had a few opportunities in the media but it hasn't worked out because that didn't give him what he wanted," Parker told 5 Live.

"He still wanted to be a professional footballer, he still wanted to be there with the lads in the morning, he wanted to be training, he wanted to be playing every Saturday afternoon.

"Gazza's still like a young boy - all he wants to do is play the game and his body doesn't allow it any more.

"Any man out there, even outside the football family, still loves Gazza.

"But people have looked at it and Gazza has done so many things that it has come to the point that when can they trust Paul Gascoigne to do the job and do himself justice at that moment in time?"

Gascoigne - affectionately nicknamed "Gazza" - has battled for some time with alcohol and health issues.

He was treated for pneumonia and last year underwent emergency surgery for a perforated stomach ulcer after being taken ill as he was celebrating his 40th birthday.

Everton boss David Moyes , who managed Gascoigne towards the end of his two year on Merseyside, said: "I do hope that things start working out better for Gazza. He is a player I know well, he was here when I took over.

"He used to phone me and text me a lot, he was someone I spoke a lot to when he was here, and since.

"He is a good man, a good person and was always willing to help others. When I have been around him he has proved to be a real gent. We all here hope he gets the help he needs."

Sunderland manager Roy Keane , who played against the then Tottenham star for Nottingham Forest in the 1991 FA Cup final in which Gascoigne suffered a cruciate ligament injury, offered his and his club's best wishes to Gascoigne.

"We all send our best to Paul. It's obviously sad, but we pray from everyone from Sunderland that he pulls through okay because no-one likes to see that," said Keane.

"That is a problem, particularly with a lot of footballers when you stop playing, there is a massive gap in your life.

"We all pray that Paul finds a bit of peace and serenity because he deserves it."

Former England manager, Graham Taylor , feels Gascoigne was surrounded by the wrong people during his career.

"It's a sad story but I don't think it surprises anybody," he told 5 Live. "Paul has got demons but he's had them many, many years.

"For me Paul Gascoigne was the greatest player I managed at international level and as a person an absolutely superb fellow.

The clubs do everything for you and then when your time comes to leave the game you don't really know anything about the real world
Graham Taylor, former England manager 

"He would give people the last penny in his pocket but I know round about him for many years there have been many people who have taken the last penny from his pocket."

Taylor believes footballers are looked after so much by their clubs that when their careers end they have little knowledge of the "real world".

"During your period as a footballer all you've got to do is turn up on time, the rest is all organised for you and that's not helpful," he added.

"The clubs do everything for you and then when your time comes to leave the game you don't really know anything about the real world.

"If you're really in the spotlight like Paul Gascoigne, and he also has personal problems, it's extremely difficult. This fellow still needs a tremendous amount of help."

Former Manchester United defender Steve Bruce - who played against Gascoigne throughout his career - believes the Newcastle-born star has the character to battle through his problems.

"He has come through before but he will need the support of everyone around him," said the Wigan manager.

"I know Paul quite well, I have had many a night out with him. Like everyone else, I am obviously saddened and shocked.

"We all hope where he is now, he is in the best hands and we hope he can come through this major obstacle."

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate added: "It is a very sad situation, but I am sure he will come through."

Southgate hailed Gascoigne - who earned 57 caps for his country over 10 years - as "the most talented player he played with".

"He was loved by everybody because he put everybody else first," said Southgate.

"He would do anything for anybody and, hopefully, people will do the same for him now because he obviously needs that help."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/7257612.stm

Published: 2008/02/22 15:29:32 GMT

© BBC MMVIII
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Football family 'must help Gazza'
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 10:23:23 AM »
 Bring him let him coach in Trini...It have woman to run and rum to drink plus he could get a spot in Tobago to breeze out and relax

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008, 10:25:41 AM »
Bring him let him coach in Trini...It have woman to run and rum to drink plus he could get a spot in Tobago to breeze out and relax

I agree everybody need ah Wim now and again...
and if he could drink and get on bad, he go fit in good with some fellas I know from Gasparillo  ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 10:37:12 AM »
and he could get some treatment in st. anns
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 11:07:48 AM »
so he lock up for madness?

what it mean in hengland when they detain somebody under the mental health act?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008, 11:52:13 AM »
Sad. To a man everybody saying de man was selfless etc ...

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008, 11:29:33 PM »

All the joking in here about the man mental health is what is sad.
 Gazzer provided me with a lot of good football entertainment and every game he played I knew he would be one giving 100%.
To ridicule the man's health is disrepectfull to him and to the sport.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline sammy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2008, 04:59:23 PM »

All the joking in here about the man mental health is what is sad.
 Gazzer provided me with a lot of good football entertainment and every game he played I knew he would be one giving 100%.
To ridicule the man's health is disrepectfull to him and to the sport.

well said.... >:(
"Giving away something in charity does not cause any decrease in a person's wealth, but increases it instead. The person who adopt humility for the sake of Allah is exalted in ranks by Him".
(Muslim)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2008, 06:35:04 PM »
It have nuff peeps more in need of support than Gazza. He made his bed let himlie in it. D man had enough opportunities 2 get his act tgther. He choose not spend time in d mad house
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2008, 10:49:27 PM »
I am a big Gazza fan since his Newcastle days... was a big fan till he hit his wife Cheryl.... or baby mama... buy a puma when he played in puma... got adidas predators when he played in dem... loved his style and know that England has not produced a player of his calibre in 12 years, many second comings but...

As Five Bellies would say about him, Gazza is gazza... is time for him to let go of the child in himself. he is suspected of having ADHD and has denied teatment... so he loves ball, but like very player sometimes, you have to completely walk away from the game... He's not a player, he cannot coach, he cannot commentate, and surely he has a drinking problem... coupled with anger management .... he has repeatedly trashed hotel rooms like he was in Guns n roses or Van Halen etc... This is a 41 year old man who is not letting go of the 14 year old boy in himself...

Weary I agree with you, a lot more people need it than himself... sleep in your bed gazza...
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 10:51:13 PM by forever trini »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 12:15:00 PM »
Gaza wife  b ban him from goin  he bachelor party because she fraid what would have happen. Now why would I marry a man like dat because he plays footbal dem WAG's will do anything
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:44:05 AM »
get well Gazza
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>