April 29, 2024, 12:14:28 AM

Author Topic: Gangs News Thread  (Read 23292 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: Gangs
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2008, 10:07:43 AM »
Sometimes I cyah believe the level of ignorance of this government...

It is painfully obvious that the URP is being used as a tool to pay off gang leaders...

When you look at the names of the people who getting big projects to build house and refurbish all kinda ting what need no refurbishing, is gang leaders...

What them fellahs know about project management or construction?? Then in turn these gang leaders using the URP money to finance dey nefarious activities, to pay and recruit gang members and to foster that whole climate of criminality...

Lewwe doh even talk about de ghost gangs.. Serena and J.Lo collecting cheques to buy guns..

But you know what? It gone too far now.. Dey mount dat Tiger dey cyah get off dat just so.. Stifle that income source and den yuh go see ruction, we might get some massacre like in Guyana...

Yet these politicians have de gall to come and ignore de obvious connection... steups.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2008, 10:41:01 AM »
So how much of a cut does Hypolite get for setting up ghost gangs?

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2008, 10:55:22 AM »

What a smokescreen...have people talking about newspaper rules on dialect instead of the details.
Doh dispute nutten in the article eh but ring the alarm the dialect get fix up  STEUPSE

Some next youth from the G-Unit gang get gun down.

so what de f**k yuh really want?

if de c**ts and dem want to join gang and shoot each other..tell me what is your f**king solution tuh end de shit?

Short ah killing dem like dey does do in Brazil, their will is th kill and be killed...what de f**k is de solution, all ah allyuh does bump allyuh gum.  T&T have plenty work and plenty money and plenty opportunity..how come your ass eh in ah gang shooting people and raping and robbing?

Panday, Dookeran and de rest need to offer suggestions vice criticisms.

Is not ah smokescreen, yuh say de man say one ting when de evidence proves it is not de case,, what else she take license with?

STEUPS!

TT you does real confuse me anytime the politics thing come up. Is like all objectivity does take a side. Now I have no horse in this race, PNM, UNC, COP, none of them mean much to me.

Even if the journalistic style is bad/terrible/horrible, that is a thin premise to assume that the statements are made up. It is especially strange when we know that there are a spate of killings related to the URP. We know that there are gangs and we know that youths are involved.

You telling me that you discounting th etheme of the article because you doubt th einterpretation of the individual lines?

As for what the Govt is supposed to do?

How about not sponsor a Government programme that is rife with corruption. Also if the crime problem is something that they cannot handle why take the job?

The Govt complains that they cannot do anything about crime, whether it is resources, the widespread nature of crime etc. etc.

But here we have a Govt programme that they manage, that they control and they can have a direct influence on and they are doing nothing because they are afraid to tackle criminals in Morvant/Laventille.

They basically putting their hands up and saying "we doh want no part of that fight". Why because they fraid the consequences. Morvant/Laventille has now become like slums in JA, acceptable collateral damage. Leh we throw the pothongs and dem some bones, let them manage they area and hopefully they will not make too many excursions into the rest of the country.

If you can't clean up and manage your own programme how yuh intend to handle the crime that you don't have an inside track on?

What kinda leadership is that? Is like you have children in your house that you feeding and clothing and every day they beating up you and your wife mercilessly because you fraid them.

Look at the growth of crime over the last 5 years and tell me that the Government is immune from criticism. They saying that they are unable to deal with crime and the criminals taking advantage.

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2008, 11:01:03 AM »
But here we have a Govt programme that they manage, that they control and they can have a direct influence on and they are doing nothing because they are afraid to tackle criminals.
IF the government was to get TOUGH on Crime, and I mean STAY THE COURSE, I believe that it would turn into a CIVIL WAR as there are TOO MANY people benefiting from Crime in TnT.
allya see who is seen hanging out with government people?
government buildings will get blown up oui
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 11:15:38 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2008, 11:16:37 AM »
But here we have a Govt programme that they manage, that they control and they can have a direct influence on and they are doing nothing because they are afraid to tackle criminals.
IF the government was to get TOUGH on Crime, and I mean STAY THE COURSE, I believe that it would turn into a CIVIL WAR as there are TOO MANY people benefiting from Crime in TnT.

WestCoast I know yuh not being serious because that is a bullshit approach.

If things have to get worse before it get better then let it be so. Maybe if the criminal elements were actively engaged with the authorities they would have less time to terrorize the constituents who the authorities are employed to protect.

I also don’t know if yuh trying to be humorous with your Capitalizations but Morvant is not Iraq. It is our country, not another sovereign nation.

If the Government does nothing or tries to “contain” it will only get worse. So we might as well go on the offensive and make a stand now.

But all this is moot discussion because the one thing that we know is that this Gov’t ent doing nothing.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:40 AM »
WestCoast I know yuh not being serious because that is a bullshit approach.
If things have to get worse before it get better then let it be so. Maybe if the criminal elements were actively engaged with the authorities they would have less time to terrorize the constituents who the authorities are employed to protect.
I also don’t know if yuh trying to be humorous with your Capitalizations but Morvant is not Iraq. It is our country, not another sovereign nation.
If the Government does nothing or tries to “contain” it will only get worse. So we might as well go on the offensive and make a stand now.
But all this is moot discussion because the one thing that we know is that this Gov’t ent doing nothing.
I am very serious, and as YOU say yourself, "tries to “If the Government.........tries to contain (crime)” it will only get worse.", it will in effect be a civil war. It's intensity may be not be as severe as you may think that I mean, but civil war none the less.
I left out reference to those areas in my post on purpose as I did not in any way believe that Major Crime is actually centralised in those areas you had mentioned in your post that I quoted. YES there is crime there, but not only there.
clarification: my opinion of a civil war is "an INTERNAL conflict, and not with another sovereign state."

"A civil war is a war in which parties within the same culture, society or nationality fight against each other for the control of political power."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_war

I HOPE TO GOD that I am wrong, but I don't see any other way.....ONLY if the Government was to get "Tough on Crime"
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 08:10:11 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

truetrini

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2008, 01:09:38 PM »
TT you does real confuse me anytime the politics thing come up. Is like all objectivity does take a side. Now I have no horse in this race, PNM, UNC, COP, none of them mean much to me.

Even if the journalistic style is bad/terrible/horrible, that is a thin premise to assume that the statements are made up. It is especially strange when we know that there are a spate of killings related to the URP. We know that there are gangs and we know that youths are involved.

You telling me that you discounting th etheme of the article because you doubt th einterpretation of the individual lines?

As for what the Govt is supposed to do?

How about not sponsor a Government programme that is rife with corruption. Also if the crime problem is something that they cannot handle why take the job?

The Govt complains that they cannot do anything about crime, whether it is resources, the widespread nature of crime etc. etc.

But here we have a Govt programme that they manage, that they control and they can have a direct influence on and they are doing nothing because they are afraid to tackle criminals in Morvant/Laventille.

They basically putting their hands up and saying "we doh want no part of that fight". Why because they fraid the consequences. Morvant/Laventille has now become like slums in JA, acceptable collateral damage. Leh we throw the pothongs and dem some bones, let them manage they area and hopefully they will not make too many excursions into the rest of the country.

If you can't clean up and manage your own programme how yuh intend to handle the crime that you don't have an inside track on?

What kinda leadership is that? Is like you have children in your house that you feeding and clothing and every day they beating up you and your wife mercilessly because you fraid them.

Look at the growth of crime over the last 5 years and tell me that the Government is immune from criticism. They saying that they are unable to deal with crime and the criminals taking advantage.

Ok, listen to me carefully.  I don't believe articles where the journalist takes license to change the verbiage of the interviewed!  it lacks credibility.  That is the reason we use quotations in the first place so that we can OBJECTIVELY hear what someone has said...it is not supposed to be what he/she intended to say!

Do you see the danger in such a trend?  It is not a bad style, it is creative writing, that eh have any place in reporting "news."

OK let me address other points.

Is the URP rife with corruption or is it rife with corruption in certain areas?  I don't know, seems like you know.  anyway, those who are depending on the URP for sustenance should be cut off becasue some criminal elements are involved in the program? 

I have never seen nor heard anyone in the Government say that they cannot hado anything about the crime, yuh acting like de "journalist"   What I have heard is that they are having great difficulty dealing with crime. 

There are many social problems in certain areas of T&T.  I have no clue on how to solve them.  Young people have no regard for life.  No government can solve such problems, that is a societal and familial problem and can ONLY be solved at that level.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2008, 01:28:47 PM »

Ok, listen to me carefully.  I don't believe articles where the journalist takes license to change the verbiage of the interviewed!  it lacks credibility.  That is the reason we use quotations in the first place so that we can OBJECTIVELY hear what someone has said...it is not supposed to be what he/she intended to say!

Do you see the danger in such a trend?  It is not a bad style, it is creative writing, that eh have any place in reporting "news."

OK let me address other points.

Is the URP rife with corruption or is it rife with corruption in certain areas?  I don't know, seems like you know.  anyway, those who are depending on the URP for sustenance should be cut off becasue some criminal elements are involved in the program? 

I have never seen nor heard anyone in the Government say that they cannot hado anything about the crime, yuh acting like de "journalist"   What I have heard is that they are having great difficulty dealing with crime. 

There are many social problems in certain areas of T&T.  I have no clue on how to solve them.  Young people have no regard for life.  No government can solve such problems, that is a societal and familial problem and can ONLY be solved at that level.

TT...

I going as far as to state de obvious..

Had it be the UNC government in power, and this article was published, i highly doubt you'd be showing this kinda extensive concern for journalistic integrity...

I will admit, i turn my eyebrow up when I see how clearly stated the points were made in the interview coming from a supposed illiterate youth.. And from reading papers home, i know usually the dialect is maintained in the quotes.. Changing that is dangerous as it could misconstrue what he actually said..

Neverthless...

Dat ent no excuse to turn ah blind eye to de central points in the interview.. Or take this kinda borderline hands-off and oblivious approach you adopting like you suggesting meh boy talking fairy tale business...

Corruption is rife..

Notorious gang leaders are being preferred for big contracts.. And consequently using them to fuel de gang culture..

We not talking about stifling de average joe trying to make a dollar. We talking bout weeding out de criminal elements who profiteering.

I'm sure there are serious-minded straight-path people in the ghetto that would like the opportunity to get some ah dem contracts too, but when Manning meeting with and shaking hands of de criminals, who yuh feel getting de work?

TT, ah know yuh going and come back with some shit like I seem to have more inside knowledge than you, cause you ent see and you ent hear.. But its common knowledge bredda...

Stop bathing in yuh ignorance!

truetrini

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2008, 01:44:02 PM »
why would I bathe in my ignorance when you supply so much?

I am well aware of the crime situation in T&T.  I am also well aware that there is NO EASY fix.

The government can do better, they have admitted as much...I refer all to the Minister of National security when he said it was harder than he thought!

I keep hearing that the government is not doing enough, what can they do?  I am asking for solutions and viable suggestions.

The police force in T&T has to bear much of the brunt for the crime spate...spree...endemic, pandemic, epidemic that we are suffering.

as an extension of the Government, or rather a government arm then I suppose by extension the government is powerless.

Constitutional changes MUST be made to deal with the ineffectiveness of the police. The way the entire police force is run is archaic and troubling, changes are slow in coming so I understand the frustration.

Take a look at the army.  They are well trained, well armed, and paid ok, yet we have young soldiers selling out to the criminal element, from ammo, to arms to uniforms.

Ask yourself...Why?

what is going on in T&T that causes almost an entire generation to succumb to criminality.  And it is just not the young men, the young women too.

Is family values a function of the government?  What role does the church play?  Since they claim the moral high road, what part do they play?

There is no doubt that I am partial to PM Manning we go way back.  But there are many things that must be carefully weighed before action is taken and the timing too, must be right.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2008, 01:50:08 PM »
my 2c is that if ira mathur intend to sell the article to a caribbean newspaper...well not even that...TT what you write dey, I ent go put it in a newspaper even if that is what the man say verbatum.

Then yuh write it the right style and make select quotes.    Journalism is what it is.  Yuh doh make stuff up.  And dat is MOST LIKELY what she did.

Yuh cyar write I said "Most of us are uneducated, well for the most part, as we only have a primary school education."

when I actually said:  "Most ah we not too bright and ting yuh know, we only finish primary school."

Yuh doh do dat and call it journalism or reporting...because YUH NOT REPORTING!
alright...cool, what if you is fuentes and you interviewing maturana (assuming fuentes know spanish and writing an english article), what you go do?

truetrini

« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2008, 01:51:53 PM »
my 2c is that if ira mathur intend to sell the article to a caribbean newspaper...well not even that...TT what you write dey, I ent go put it in a newspaper even if that is what the man say verbatum.

Then yuh write it the right style and make select quotes.    Journalism is what it is.  Yuh doh make stuff up.  And dat is MOST LIKELY what she did.

Yuh cyar write I said "Most of us are uneducated, well for the most part, as we only have a primary school education."

when I actually said:  "Most ah we not too bright and ting yuh know, we only finish primary school."

Yuh doh do dat and call it journalism or reporting...because YUH NOT REPORTING!
alright...cool, what if you is fuentes and you interviewing maturana (assuming fuentes know spanish and writing an english article), what you go do?

huh?  same thing, yuh write verbatim what de man say!  jes in english.  is ok tuh translate correctly!

wha is yuh point?

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
the point is, that as in peong original post; is okay to translate from one language (trini creole, bad english etc.) to another language as long as you stay true to the words of the person...you keep the quotation marks...I could see where cleaning it too much wold be a problem, but doing it at all cyah be bad journalism.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2008, 02:02:34 PM »
the point is, that as in peong original post; is okay to translate from one language (trini creole, bad english etc.) to another language as long as you stay true to the words of the person...you keep the quotation marks...I could see where cleaning it too much wold be a problem, but doing it at all cyah be bad journalism.

nah...

inconsistencies from translation from a different language, and deliberately cleaning up trinidadian dialect (which is already english) to a more proper english is two whole different matters altogether...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2008, 02:04:39 PM »
dcs, like this woman have 10+ years of "creative writing" up on that website. she must be a real mad woman interviewing she self and playing journalist all this time.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2008, 02:35:19 PM »

nah...

inconsistencies from translation from a different language, and deliberately cleaning up trinidadian dialect (which is already english) to a more proper english is two whole different matters altogether...
maybe we can find out if the biggest newspapers in the world do it.

http://www.rrj.ca/issue/1987/spring/50/

truetrini

« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2008, 05:05:58 PM »
dcs, like this woman have 10+ years of "creative writing" up on that website. she must be a real mad woman interviewing she self and playing journalist all this time.

yuh being an ass.  I am not suggesting that she does it all the time, in fact I did not even waste time reading anything else she had "written."

My point is YOU DONT TAKE JOURNALISTIC LICENSE AND CHANGE PEOPLE'S WORDS!

That is a no-no in writing and if you fellas eh know dat, den yuh need to go back tuh school and re-take ah english class.

eh-eh.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2008, 05:33:23 PM »
While you at it, I would like to know all the made up sections of the Heerahlal article as well, since the minister obviously feel he and Justice Carmona lying...

Congrats Truetrini, you have graduated cum laude in the art of smoke and mirrors...as have most of the politically aware people in my fair country it would seem.

2 pages of p(f)iddling about journalistic protocol while the country burns...

Same shit - different day
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2008, 05:49:47 PM »
Allyuh study truetrini..

He ent address my first point yet...

If was UNC in government and this shit was going on, the article woulda be spot on!

truetrini

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2008, 05:58:45 PM »
While you at it, I would like to know all the made up sections of the Heerahlal article as well, since the minister obviously feel he and Justice Carmona lying...

Congrats Truetrini, you have graduated cum laude in the art of smoke and mirrors...as have most of the politically aware people in my fair country it would seem.

de country burning?  where de water to put out de fire?

what suggestions allyuh have to remedy the malady?

Your fair country?  what yuh contribute tuh yuh fair country in de last 5 years...see how fair I am/  ah giving yuh half ah decade...answer nah..ah dare yuh!

Listen the crime in T&T is bad...but it is also isolated to a sector or two.

It is an urban jungle and there  are myriad problems.  allyuh say de government incompetent, I ask allyuh for suggestions, I will personally pass dem on.

steups

as for if de UNC was in power...fairy tale, I eh feel I have tuh address dat shit...dem eh getting in power for a long time..so leh me wuk with what I have.

Ok Omar..For God's sake..ah go answer yuh leh we examine de UNC reign..so tuh speak.

Build schools dat students cyar use, airport that grossly inflated and leaking de first month after construction.  Many cane farmers whose backs were roe like pack mule..left with nuttten.

Tifing galore, and all dat in 5 years alone eh.  As opposition party dey eh contribute much either.

Balk at de bail bill, balk at legislation tuh curtail crime.  what dem do again?  Apart from tief!

I already conceded that crime is rampant in certain sectors in T&T, dat is all I could do....I eh know how tuh solve it, and neither do any of you!

Short of organizing a mass eradication progrom...I really at a loss. 

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2008, 06:42:36 PM »

de country burning?  where de water to put out de fire?

what suggestions allyuh have to remedy the malady?

Maybe stopping the banalising of criminal activity and the tacit and not so tacit authorisation of criminal behaviour by conceding authority to these so called community leaders. Definitely by stopping the fraternizing with these criminal elements would be a start.

Your fair country?  what yuh contribute tuh yuh fair country in de last 5 years...see how fair I am/  ah giving yuh half ah decade...answer nah..ah dare yuh!

The trend of typically violent responses continue - shoot the messenger and ignore the message.

FYI (not that I have to prove anything to you or anyone else)

- I have been doing my fair share towards the preservation of MY FAIR COUNTRY'S cultural heritage.

- I have also done comprehensive analysis of how MY FAIR COUNTRY'S race relations have evolved and what this evolution implies for the political and social future of MY FAIR COUNTRY.

- I have protested against a number of counterproductive economic policies in MY FAIR COUNTRY undertaken by the same government that you ceaselessly defend

- I have probably done as much or more as the TDC in promoting MY FAIR COUNTRY as an attractive destination for tourists during my time here.

- Oh yes. And since yuh so fast and out of place, everytime I go home I pick the ticks and fleas off my dogs to stop a public health nuisance from declaring in MY FAIR COUNTRY.

Anything else you want to know or can you now stop wasting people time with all this inconsequential stuff and let us discuss the subject at hand?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2008, 07:00:00 PM »
as for if de UNC was in power...fairy tale, I eh feel I have tuh address dat shit...dem eh getting in power for a long time..so leh me wuk with what I have.

Ok Omar..For God's sake..ah go answer yuh leh we examine de UNC reign..so tuh speak.

Build schools dat students cyar use, airport that grossly inflated and leaking de first month after construction.  Many cane farmers whose backs were roe like pack mule..left with nuttten.

Tifing galore, and all dat in 5 years alone eh.  As opposition party dey eh contribute much either.

Balk at de bail bill, balk at legislation tuh curtail crime.  what dem do again?  Apart from tief!

I already conceded that crime is rampant in certain sectors in T&T, dat is all I could do....I eh know how tuh solve it, and neither do any of you!

All that and you did not even catch my drift...

i never ask you about what UNC wouldve done in government for the situation.

I said that if the UNC was in power, and this article was published you wouldve accepted it verbatim without batting ah eyelid..

From your initial dismissive stance on the article and its veracity, it seemed like you were attacking the credibility of the article as if the whole story was made up..

Ah know yuh love yuh PNM, but dat ent no reason to go into denial..

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2008, 07:14:33 PM »
Quote from: truetrini
Listen the crime in T&T is bad...but it is also isolated to a sector or two.

:shameonyou:

I thought you was spendin time in trini recently?  it wasn't by you?

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2008, 07:39:17 PM »
- Oh yes. And since yuh so fast and out of place, everytime I go home I pick the ticks and fleas off my dogs to stop a public health nuisance from declaring in MY FAIR COUNTRY.
:rotfl: :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2008, 09:11:48 PM »

true all I hearing from you is that the National crime problem is too big for the Government.

What I am saying is that it is evident that even in cases where they can have an effect, they don't. If you are running a business and your employees corrupt and taking advantage, what do you do?

What makes it worse is that they have complete authority to clean up th esituation? How of all things in TnT the URP could be so corrupt is beyond me, whether it is in Morvant, Toco or Tobago, if this going on for so long and the Gov't hasn't put a stop to it they not doing a good job. Nobody is saying to disband the program and hurt the beneficiaries but instead clean it up so they could fully benefit.

Ok Omar..For God's sake..ah go answer yuh leh we examine de UNC reign..so tuh speak

This is why DCS say that you on the defensive and why I say you forget all objectivity when these topics come up. Because everytime somebody criticise the Government you does have to talk about the UNC and COP.

But the election done long time and the next one is five years awy so why waste time comparing and campaigning from now. If you ask me I would say that the UNC would do no better. And as bad as the crime is (and will get) the PNM in power for the next 30 years because they have no viable opposition. Both parties is similar shit and have similar objectives, ensure that they stay in power as long as possible first, everything else second.

The public already give the PNM the mandate saying that they are better than the UNC so why keep bringing up that shit. The Govt needs to be showing that they are better now than they were yesterday, to show that they are improving and addressing the needs of the people, not that they better than what the UNC was 8 years ago.

But that is the problem now just as it was in the past they have no pressure to get anything right so they just muddling along and making noise about crime while the crime keeps getting worse.

And it will continue to get worse if everytime the crime situation comes up PNM supporters talk about how the UNC wouldn't do better or discredit a journalists account as fiction.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:26 PM »
At this juncture the crime rate can only be significantly reduced in areasonable time frame under a massive and on-going suspension of civil liberties or a complete revamping of societal structure.

That will either take a military intervention or sectarian coup that will make the last attempt look like a game of tiddlywinks.

Either way, you play the piper now, or reap a whirlwind of hell later.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2008, 02:40:52 AM »
At this juncture the crime rate can only be significantly reduced in areasonable time frame under a massive and on-going suspension of civil liberties or a complete revamping of societal structure.
 That will either take a military intervention or sectarian coup that will make the last attempt look like a game of tiddlywinks.
Either way, you play the piper now, or reap a whirlwind of hell later.
brilliant way to put it
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2008, 05:33:05 AM »
Actually the big money the gangs making is not from URP but from CEPEP and HDC.
URP doh give out contracts.
What happening is the gangs will control the CEPEP and HDC projects in there area and at the same time control the URP crews.
The money they will make from URP is nonsense compared to the contracts, the control of URP on the other hand allowing them to control the poorer people in their area.
Carmona correct to say that there are criminals in the URP, it have criminals in every office in Trinidad, what was wrong was for him to create the impression that URP is run by the gangs, jus some of the crews are gang controlled.
Ah want de woman on de bass

truetrini

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2008, 06:55:05 AM »

All that and you did not even catch my drift...

i never ask you about what UNC wouldve done in government for the situation.

I said that if the UNC was in power, and this article was published you wouldve accepted it verbatim without batting ah eyelid..

From your initial dismissive stance on the article and its veracity, it seemed like you were attacking the credibility of the article as if the whole story was made up..

Ah know yuh love yuh PNM, but dat ent no reason to go into denial..

I doh love PNM fella...au contraire.  The ONLY time I ever voted PNM was this last election!

i prefer the PNM over the alternatives.

I dont cotton to "journalists" who take license and change verbiage of so-called interviewees.

How many times do I have to say that for you to understand. 

UNC is shit!

truetrini

« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2008, 07:04:54 AM »
Actually the big money the gangs making is not from URP but from CEPEP and HDC.
URP doh give out contracts.
What happening is the gangs will control the CEPEP and HDC projects in there area and at the same time control the URP crews.
The money they will make from URP is nonsense compared to the contracts, the control of URP on the other hand allowing them to control the poorer people in their area.
Carmona correct to say that there are criminals in the URP, it have criminals in every office in Trinidad, what was wrong was for him to create the impression that URP is run by the gangs, jus some of the crews are gang controlled.

Fishes, that is what these jokers eh getting.  URP is not a generous and gratitious program that gives away contracts.  The lower classes in T&T participate in URP and it helps many of them, becasue the violent crime in T&T is MOSTLY committed by the lower classes, ....yuh getting meh drift?

As formy UNC comments JDB, I was addressing a question posed by Omar.

I could care less about what dcs thinks, he naive and supporting a lost cause with the COP..dem eh have any leadership.

I have said that the crime in T&T is not easibly dealt with as it is entrenched into the psyche of certain groups in the nation.   I also asked if it is possible for the government to solve those issues I welcome suggestions.

Midnight and JDB, as Zandolie said the way to deal with crime in T&T is thru the massive suppression of civil liberties and the eradication of unsavoury elements.

Are you suggesting that the government unertakes such a progrom?  I already asked that question.   Believe me, it has been discussed by the Government.  They are NOT prepared to go that course.

I am still awaiting responses on what the illustrious posters and crime fighters on this board has to offer in way of suggestions to the government in way of crime fighting iniatives.

JDB, you talk about thin premise, dont you think that the journalist should have put a disclaimer in her article that she changed verbiage of the interviewed to make it easier to read and understand?

Also shouldnt she have stated plainly that the URP does NOT give out contracts...but you didnt know that did you?

Offline Swima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2008, 07:37:25 AM »
Quote from: truetrini

I have said that the crime in T&T is not easibly dealt with as it is entrenched into the psyche of certain groups in the nation.   I also asked if it is possible for the government to solve those issues I welcome suggestions.

Midnight and JDB, as Zandolie said the way to deal with crime in T&T is thru the massive suppression of civil liberties and the eradication of unsavoury elements.

Are you suggesting that the government unertakes such a progrom?  I already asked that question.   Believe me, it has been discussed by the Government.  They are NOT prepared to go that course.

I am still awaiting responses on what the illustrious posters and crime fighters on this board has to offer in way of suggestions to the government in way of crime fighting iniatives.

I've been reading with interest and would like to know why was the proposal rejected? I know that it doesn't seem as bad as the press makes it out to be, but the truth is, the press doesn't report a number of serious, life-endangering crimes that occurr on a daily basis. That being said, you have a sector of the population who live in fear of being targetted simply for the car they drive, the job they hold, their ethnicity, their gender etc. Does anyone deserve to live like that?

Does the gov't see such a proposal as bringing them out of favour with their die hards? Would it mean a down turn for the economy? I ask this because the way I see it, if we are not prepared to make some short term concessions, we stand a good chance of paying for it in the long term, while some of us will still feel the effects of crime in the more immediate future.

I am compelled to put up a poll on the board asking how many of us know a first hand victim of crime, if indeed we have not experienced it ourselves. The Prime Minister said he wants crime at an acceptable level. Well exactly what is acceptable, and what should you and I accept for our wives and children? How peowerless is the Gov't when they have been known to consort with the "gang leaders". How powerless are you really when you are cutting favours for the ones who are bringing in the drugs? What I think you are seeing TT is a population simply frustrated and concerned, if not scared. The job of the gov't is to protect its citizens. Whether we vote for them or not, they are there to perform that task among others and we are simply not feeling all that secure.
Success will never take you by surprise.

1]; } ?>