April 25, 2024, 07:11:24 AM

Author Topic: Gangs News Thread  (Read 23191 times)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
Gangs News Thread
« on: February 24, 2008, 10:54:57 AM »
Life in Picton
by
Ira Mathur   www.iramathur.org
Trinidad Guardian
Sunday 24th February, 2008

This is part two of a first-person account from a Picton resident, “Andy,” based on an interview.

“I grew up with a single parent, without supervision, absent teachers. Most of us in Picton didn’t get past primary or secondary school.

“There are ten gangs in my small area of Picton, with about 30 members each, some as young as 13. There is plenty pressure to join. A relative even put a gun to my head to join.

“They will shoot you, walk away and not think twice. Gangs give them rank in a world where they can’t earn anything past minimum wage like I do with a regular job.

“They feel better to have people afraid of you than pity you for being illiterate and poor.

“They claim to be Muslims. They are setting up makeshift mosques in communities. One time I was considering accepting Islam.

“I look at Muslims in my area. Muslims shooting Muslims, murdering Muslims. They ask you to join in a way that is more like a threat.

“I ask myself ‘if these people claim to be serving Allah in the respectable manner that they speak of, why they would threaten another brother?’

“If I choose to be a Christian, don’t I have that freedom?

“Men come up to men, tell them: ‘Come over.’ They go in the mosque with rubber slippers and come out in full Muslim garb, with money and guns: AKs, 380s, 357s as gangsters.

“They become somebody. But inside, they are illiterate little boys.

“The gang leaders have the knowledge. One or two have up to seven O-level passes. They use knowledge on those who will be dependent on them.

“They go to URP head office, get the contract. They call four or five gangs. Put down your name for ten days in the office where they are operating.

“Everybody signs the sheet. The contractor will say: ‘You foreman, you checker,’ you this or that. They are running ghost gangs, register, but no work is being done.

“They don’t even come out. When the fortnight comes, the contractor meets you by the bank and you hand him your money, because you didn’t work for it.

“If he feels to give you a $100 he will give a $100. If you grumble you will end up in a grave.

“The army and police presence is totally ineffective. The timing is off. Police like to gallery, roll in with their new SUVs, to ‘lock down’ a community for six or eight hours.

“They leave at about two or three in the morning, and we are back to square one. As the police pass, the gang members come out.

“Two, three in the morning you hear ‘boom, boom, boom.’

“Do the police come back by five am and try to keep the peace till the next day? No. They will drive past, breeze through.

“On their way out they would pick up a man smoking a joint. By the rough manner they handle him you would swear he is the most dangerous criminal; that he has the biggest guns.

“These guys they held last week are not involved in criminal activity. They didn’t hold the murderers, bandits or kidnappers, nor the drug dealers or the gun toters.

“They haven’t solved a single crime. The police want these people to kill out one another. One less to hunt.

“The situation is worsening; crimes are not being solved not just in Laventille, but throughout the country.

“You are not hearing of arrests. You are hearing about witnesses being shot dead.

“After that, Martin Joseph tells us he ‘underestimated crime’ and he was re-appointed National Security Minister for that.

“You say you are a caring government, and what you care about is getting rich. The people in power are eagerly playing with the money, while poor people are being run out of their slums because of guns and gangs.”

Next week: The anatomy of a gang.

www.iramathur.org

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:45:40 AM by dcs »

truetrini

Re: Gangs
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 07:50:16 PM »
See me, I dunce, me eh have no big education and ting yuh know, but dat fella REAL f**kING ARTICULATE FOR A MAN FROM PICTON WITHOUT more than a primary school education...ent/

steups.

That fella who write that article is full of shit and has NO JOURNALISTIC integrity.

Re-read that article, especially the parts in quotes...lol

If those are "Andy's" real comments that man is a college graduate..he have 7 o'levels at the least.

PUHLEEEZE!

That is de best spoken fella I ever encountered with his level of edumacation!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 08:50:04 PM »
The fellah said "Most of us in Picton didn’t get past primary or secondary school."

Considering MS. Mathur quoted the interview and HER only lines were "This is part two of a first-person account from a Picton resident, “Andy,” based on an interview." & "Next week: The anatomy of a gang."  I really question why you decide to be so defensive and attack the author when u clearly know nothing about HER or HER previous work  lol

Maybe you should go read HER past work because I never saw HER work as being unprofessional or biased....but go judge for yourself. I didn't always agree with HER but this article seem pretty straight forward...can't see what u want to dispute in it. 

Her Work by Category:
Children/Teenagers     Reviews (Book/Film)
Diaspora    Travel
Health Care    Trinidad Economy
International    Trinidad Politics
Profiles    Trinidad Society
Reflections    Women

Relationships

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 09:21:29 PM »
The fellah said "Most of us in Picton didn’t get past primary or secondary school."

Considering MS. Mathur quoted the interview and HER only lines were "This is part two of a first-person account from a Picton resident, “Andy,” based on an interview." & "Next week: The anatomy of a gang."  I really question why you decide to be so defensive and attack the author when u clearly know nothing about HER or HER previous work  lol

Maybe you should go read HER past work because I never saw HER work as being unprofessional or biased....but go judge for yourself. I didn't always agree with HER but this article seem pretty straight forward...can't see what u want to dispute in it. 

Her Work by Category:
Children/Teenagers     Reviews (Book/Film)
Diaspora    Travel
Health Care    Trinidad Economy
International    Trinidad Politics
Profiles    Trinidad Society
Reflections    Women

Relationships

Defensive, not at all, she have no influence over me, by beliefs..nutten!

I refer you to this quote in the beginning of the article.  Any reasonable thinking individual wpuld draw a similar conclusion to the one I drew.....except they are the ones looking for another angle..yuh know....an agenda?

[quote]This is part two of a first-person account from a Picton resident, “Andy,” based on an interview.

“I grew up with a single parent, without supervision, absent teachers. Most of us in Picton didn’t get past primary or secondary school.

“There are ten gangs in my small area of Picton, with about 30 members each, some as young as 13. There is plenty pressure to join. A relative even put a gun to my head to join.
[/color][/b][/i][/u]

Since I doh know how old "Andy" is, and ah relative did put ah gun to he head tuh join....ah sure it wasn't ah recent ting and assume dat it happen when he was ah youth....getting my angle on this bullshit story?

And de only "reason" yuh could agree with her and conclude that dis is legit is becasue yuh have axe tuh grind,  in other words it bashing a member of the Government.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 09:24:36 PM by truetrini »

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 09:32:59 PM »

Yuh brilliant detective work has convinced me the article is a sham and the journalist has no integrity and decided to find a bogus person to do a make believe story like the New York Times and what was portrayed is the furthest from the truth...a total fabrication.

I have read her other articles so I think you are mistaken. And you still coming across like YOU have an axe to grind.  Maybe we own forumite who give his own account was lying too?

TIME TO WAKE UP DE BOARD

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 09:37:29 PM »
yeah dat thread by Morvant was a shocking eye opener oui
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 10:41:41 PM »
See me, I dunce, me eh have no big education and ting yuh know, but dat fella REAL f**kING ARTICULATE FOR A MAN FROM PICTON WITHOUT more than a primary school education...ent/

steups.

That fella who write that article is full of shit and has NO JOURNALISTIC integrity.

If those are "Andy's" real comments that man is a college graduate..he have 7 o'levels at the least.PUHLEEEZE!

TT my causin was in a gang up laventille, and lost his life in 01, he was totally illiterate even though he came here at a young age. he got dipped and went home and joined ah gang, his good friend in the gang called longs was an educated dude with 4 A levels under his belt, it have bright dudes in them gangs today bro. i still have three 2nd causins right now in gangs, and we speak on the regular. that youth seemed to be talking the real.                                 positive.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

truetrini

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 10:53:29 PM »

steups.

If those are "Andy's" real comments that man is a college graduate..he have 7 o'levels at the least.PUHLEEEZE!

TT my causin was in a gang up laventille, and lost his life in 01, he was totally illiterate even though he came here at a young age. he got dipped and went home and joined ah gang, his good friend in the gang called longs was an educated dude with 4 A levels under his belt, it have bright dudes in them gangs today bro. i still have three 2nd causins right now in gangs, and we speak on the regular. that youth seemed to be talking the real.                                 positive.

nutten can convince me that a gang member..or ex-gangster spoke that eloquently.  Not saying there eh gangs....but that story fishy as ah tin ah sardine!

re-read the opening lines of dat shit article and tell me that fella claims anything but a elementary school education.

besida even educated trinis at home dh put down staright english like dat....far less a gangster.

steups and 4 a levels eh mean yuh educated.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 08:42:34 AM »
ms. mathur better watch she back before dem gangstas put a hit on she for writing this. in trinidad, anybody could find yuh house.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 09:20:52 AM »
in trinidad, anybody could find yuh house.
except de police.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 09:41:06 AM »
plenty things in the article true

what they say bout muslims is tru

what they say bout men waiting outside de bank and giving them $100 is shyt and everybody living in trini know what $100 could buy

point blank is that everybody know who the killers in they area is but dont say nuttin

every single man jack in trini know ah killer
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 10:14:08 AM »
TT forgive me if I missing something but you saying that you doubt the veracity because she chose to clean up the dialect and write the quotes in standard English?

I thought this was a common practice in local papers even in cases where you use quotes. Most times when you read an article that quotes witness testimony it is not in dialect form.

There are only a couple journalists who use dialect because it suits their style like Keith Smith or Pires and I am sure that even in these cases they “convert” it from the slang that the person uses to a more conventional form of Trini dialect.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2008, 10:26:57 AM »
in trinidad, anybody could find yuh house.
except de police.
"allya could come and give we ah drop by allya?"
 ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
History of criminals in URP
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 10:46:59 AM »
History of criminals in URP
Big contracts for gangsters

Darryl Heeralal dheeralal@trinidadexpress.com
Monday, February 25th 2008

FRIENDLY HANDSHAKE: Prime Minister Patrick Manning greets gang leader Sheldon "Crock" Scott with a friendly handshake during a pre-election walkabout in Laventille last year. -Photo: CURTIS CHASE

CONCERNED about criminal involvement in the Unemployment Relief Programme and the effect it is having on gang violence, a High Court judge criticised Government's inaction on Friday.

In freeing two men charged with one of the most brazen gang-related murders, Justice Anthony Carmona described as "delusional" and "irresponsible" statements an official had made that there were no criminal elements in the URP.

Carmona did not name the official.

However, former Local Government Rennie Dumas, when questioned on the issue in the run-up to last year's general election, went on record to say that there were no criminal elements in the URP.

Police statistics have shown that over 100 of the victims of gangland killings since 2002 were either URP supervisors, foremen, contractors or workmen.

Homicide detectives and officers from several intelligence units formed to monitor gangs have also said dozens more murders committed are related to fall-out from State-run special works projects.

Government involvement in hiring and awarding of contracts to known criminals has also been well documented over the last ten years.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning himself has had a history of dealing with people identified by police as criminals and gang leaders associated with the URP and other State-run projects.

Police, including former commissioner Hilton Guy, have also said that monies from the URP and other projects were being used to fund gang wars, murders and other "ghetto" crimes.

Gangland violence has fuelled this country's high murder rate and spun off into other crimes, such as drug trafficking, gun smuggling and kidnapping for ransom, police say.

Under Manning's PNM Government, several key crime figures identified by the police, including Mark Guerra, Kerwin "Fresh" Phillip, Sheldon "Crock" Scott, Glenroy "Abdul Malick" Charles and Salim "Small Salim" Rasheed, among others, have amassed millions through the URP and what was then the NHA refurbishing projects.

In 2002, Manning had secretly met with several known gang leaders and after one such meeting, backed down on a move to appoint ex-policemen to administer the URP, put there in the first place to clamp down on corruption.

Manning has never denied meeting with gang leaders.

Recently the Prime Minister noted in an interview that nearly all of the men he had met with have been murdered and police say all of those killings have been gang-related.

Manning's PNM, however, has not been the only party involved in URP-related corruption.

Under the UNC in 1999, councillor Hansraj Sumairsingh, chairman of the Mayaro/Rio Claro Regional Corporation, was murdered and the killing evidence showed it was linked to URP corruption.

Sumairsingh was killed overfall-out from the construction of basketball court and pavilion at Poole Valley, Rio Claro.

Former local government minister Dhanraj Singh was charged with the murder, but later freed in the High Court. Singh is also facing 26 fraud charges related to kick backs from URP and other State-run projects.

Sumairsingh is not the only councillor to have been murdered because of URP-related corruption.

In late 2006, Bert Allette, a PNM city councillor, was murdered in Belmont after raising objections about ghost gangs in a URP project, Homicide detectives say.

Incidentally, the man who was questioned about the murder and is still the number one suspect was recently awarded a $2 million Government project, sources from the police's gang intelligence unit say.

Recently, Selwyn "Robocop" Alexis, during a recent kidnapping trial, said in open court that he built houses for the then National Housing Authority under the UNC. No one from the Opposition ever denied the charge.

Based on police intelligence and records, the escalation in gangland violence and murders started in late 2001, early 2002.

Deputy Police Commissioner Gilbert Reyes has said that gang murders are mainly responsible for the country's high homicide rate.

Police records show that the increase in murders coincided with the appointment of Mark Guerra as national adviser to the URP. The post, which had never existed before then, was created for Guerra.

In September of 2002, one Government minister moved to stem the corruption in the URP by appointing members of the Flying Squad as programme supervisors.

But Manning reversed the decision after he met with several gang leaders, including Guerra and Phillip, at the Ambassador Hotel, Long Circular Road, St James.

Weeks later, when the violence exploded, Manning secretly met with gang leaders again at the same hotel and at the Rose Foundation in St James, to broker a peace deal.

Guy had said, based on police information then, that the URP and the NHA refurbishing projects were contributing to the gang violence and that most of the people involved in the murders were part of a Muslim organisation.

Late in 2002, Sean "Bill" Francis went public and said that ghost gangs in the URP and NHA projects were the main reasons behind gang violence in Laventille and Morvant.

Francis said while he was a programme coordinator in 1998/99, he got rid of over 7,000 "ghosts" in the Port of Spain region, an area controlled by Guerra.

Former PNM senator

Muhammad Shabaaz was at the side of Francis when he met Manning at the Rose Foundation, St James.

Shabaaz was soon after fired as the coordinator of the $250 million NHA refurbishing project, and in his place Cabinet appointed former murder accused David "Buffy" Millard, who held the post until he fled to Guyana.

In one public fiasco several "ghosts" were paid millions of State dollars. Names such as "Jennifer Lopez", "Serena Williams" and "Arnold Schwarzenegger" were paid for painting houses in east Port of Spain.

The Opposition had asked that the audited report of the project be laid in Parliament, but it was never done.

In the run-up to the elections of 2002, Jamaat al Muslimeen leader Imam Yasin Abu Bakr revealed that Government had started the paper work to hand over five acres of State lands adjoining the Mucurapo headquarters of the organisation to them. Manning pulled back under public pressure.

The murders continued in 2003 and it was around this time that Phillip and Charles started amassing their wealth after Guerra was murdered, police say.

Phillip was leader of the infamous G-Unit gang and Charles was the head of all the major criminals in west Port of Spain. At the time of his murder, Charles was described as a URP contractor worth $14 million.

Months before he was killed, Phillip was given a million-dollar Government contract to build a health centre at Oxford Street, Port of Spain. Phillip admitted to getting the contract during an interview with CNMG.

In 2004, Kirk Walker, a former coup maker, said he was illegally paid a URP cheque to keep him quiet after a gangster pulled a gun on him - this despite Walker's not having worked with the programme.

Walker was given the Government cheque for $710.30, dated December 20, 2004. The cheque, number U 00648168, was issued for work done in the Arima Region, Bertie Road Sanitation Project for the fortnight November 22 to December 3.

Then URP acting manager Uric Williams said he was aware of similar situations in that region, where people were being paid for work not performed.

During Abu Bakr's conspiracy to murder trial, State witness Brent Danglade said in open court that he was paid for not doing any work in the programme.

Under Singh, a unit was set up to investigate ghost gangs in the URP and has compiled several reports confirming the existence of it.

In 2004, the Ministry of Local Government started a programme to award URP contracts to gangsters if they gave up their guns, a Sunday Express expose reported.

Dumas, however, said he was not aware of such a programme.

Last year, detectives linked a wave of murders in Sea Lots, Port of Spain, to a URP contract awarded to a known criminal in the Production Avenue area.

Rasheed, who was given a URP contract to build drains at Seventh Avenue, Malick, was murdered and police said the death was related to fall-out from the contract.

Scott, whose murder sparked a wave of violence in Picton three weeks ago, was a contractor at the Beverly Hills apartments site.

Several other gang leaders and known criminals identified by the Inter Agency Task Force are also employed with the URP as either contractors, supervisors, foremen or normal workers, despite their involvement in murders, drug trafficking and kidnappings.

Police say as long as criminals benefit from State-run projects like the URP, gang violence will never stop, as corrupt monies from the special projects will continue to fund the killings and gangland violence.

What Justice Carmona said on Friday:

"Some person in authority had stated that there were no criminals in the URP. I dare say, in fact, that particular statement by the person in authority was highly delusional and totally irresponsible, because not only I, but my other brothers have made the observation time and time again of a lot of criminal activity taking place in the bowel of the URP and that is the stark reality.

"Based on matters coming before the courts in the last 18 months, I can tell you that in the bowels of the URP there is rank criminality and the authorities need to address this, you understand."

What Dumas said in an interview in 2005:

"I am saying that you will not find an individual or a group of individuals turning up and getting their cheques from us without working for it. I feel you will have serious difficulty in finding that.

"People might be employed with URP just as they could be employed anywhere else, but their major activity is outside URP. They are not using URP funds to fund kidnapping or fund drug trafficking. If you use their URP membership or the occasion of work in the URP to identify them, then you are stigmatising the URP. If it's a drug lord it's a drug lord, if it's a drug salesman, it's a drug salesman, if it's a kidnapper it's a kidnapper."

The progression of murders between 2001 and 2007;

2001 151

2002 171

2003 229

2004 260

2005 386

2006 371

2007 388

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2008, 11:26:11 AM »
TT forgive me if I missing something but you saying that you doubt the veracity because she chose to clean up the dialect and write the quotes in standard English?

I thought this was a common practice in local papers even in cases where you use quotes. Most times when you read an article that quotes witness testimony it is not in dialect form.

There are only a couple journalists who use dialect because it suits their style like Keith Smith or Pires and I am sure that even in these cases they “convert” it from the slang that the person uses to a more conventional form of Trini dialect.

No journalists in T&T do NOT clean up a persons english!  that is not the way it is done.

Yuh mad or what?  basic high school english dat!  If yuh quoting someone, yuh quoting dem..yuh doh make nutten in standard english!  NUTTEN!

Point in case:

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news7.html

“I only hear groaning like somebody in pain and they could not answer,” Julien said.
  Yuh see any ckeaning up dey?

And what about here:

“The police from West End Station come in the next five minutes and take him to the hospital,” she added.
  Come, why not clean it up to say came?

“I tell my children and grandchildren to drop to the floor.

“The way how that sounded it was very powerful and fast,” Julien said.
  I tell?  why didnt the writer change it to I told my children and....

“Is a while something like this happen up here.
Is a while?  come on now...!

And from de express:  http://www.guardian.co.tt/news4.html

“But she came back in. Still she does be scared.
  Still she does be scared?  get my point?

“I'm not leaving. I does sell incense in town. If they have to come let them.”
all ah we does do something right?  proper english?  Nah she full ah shit.  I eh saying it eh have gangs, I jes questioning she conversation with "Andy."

JDB yuh dead wrong, I suggest yuh re-read dem articles in T&T papers, always full ah dialect bredda...she take real license dey!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2008, 01:35:38 PM »
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE5DA153FF932A15755C0A967958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all
 Do Speakers Really Say What Is Between Quotation Marks?

Some exerpts:

"We believe that the material between quotation marks must be an absolutely literal rendition of what the quoted person said," said Allan M. Siegal, an assistant managing editor at The New York Times.

Time magazine is one of the few organizations that have a written set of rules, which appear in the Time Book on Reporting and Research. They state that grammar and spelling may be corrected but that it is a cardinal sin to add or delete a word or phrase that alters the meaning of a quotation.

"I think if everyone started publishing verbatim quotes, you would get the impression that the government was full of fools," said Michael Pollan, executive editor of Harper's Magazine.

In this same vein, the use of dialect can be condescending because it often makes the speaker sound uneducated. Some editors also question the point of writing "gonna" instead of "going to."

"Dialect is a judgment call," Mr. Pollan said. "You can bend over backwards in being scrupulous in such a way that you end up being unfair to the person quoted."

--
It seems that there's a variety of styles regarding quoting dialect.

Offline warmonga

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
look @ allyuh fearless leader
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2008, 03:43:03 PM »
This is last   Year jes before alyuh vote for him.. he shaking hand with a gang leader.. Dais a real Crime Minister boi!!!!!!!!!!!

CONCERNED about criminal involvement in the Unemployment Relief Programme and the effect it is having on gang violence, a High Court judge criticised Government's inaction on Friday.

In freeing two men charged with one of the most brazen gang-related murders, Justice Anthony Carmona described as "delusional" and "irresponsible" statements an official had made that there were no criminal elements in the URP.

Carmona did not name the official.

However, former Local Government Rennie Dumas, when questioned on the issue in the run-up to last year's general election, went on record to say that there were no criminal elements in the URP.

Police statistics have shown that over 100 of the victims of gangland killings since 2002 were either URP supervisors, foremen, contractors or workmen.

Homicide detectives and officers from several intelligence units formed to monitor gangs have also said dozens more murders committed are related to fall-out from State-run special works projects.

Government involvement in hiring and awarding of contracts to known criminals has also been well documented over the last ten years.

Prime Minister Patrick Manning himself has had a history of dealing with people identified by police as criminals and gang leaders associated with the URP and other State-run projects.

Police, including former commissioner Hilton Guy, have also said that monies from the URP and other projects were being used to fund gang wars, murders and other "ghetto" crimes.

Gangland violence has fuelled this country's high murder rate and spun off into other crimes, such as drug trafficking, gun smuggling and kidnapping for ransom, police say.

Under Manning's PNM Government, several key crime figures identified by the police, including Mark Guerra, Kerwin "Fresh" Phillip, Sheldon "Crock" Scott, Glenroy "Abdul Malick" Charles and Salim "Small Salim" Rasheed, among others, have amassed millions through the URP and what was then the NHA refurbishing projects.

In 2002, Manning had secretly met with several known gang leaders and after one such meeting, backed down on a move to appoint ex-policemen to administer the URP, put there in the first place to clamp down on corruption.

Manning has never denied meeting with gang leaders.

Recently the Prime Minister noted in an interview that nearly all of the men he had met with have been murdered and police say all of those killings have been gang-related.

Manning's PNM, however, has not been the only party involved in URP-related corruption.

Under the UNC in 1999, councillor Hansraj Sumairsingh, chairman of the Mayaro/Rio Claro Regional Corporation, was murdered and the killing evidence showed it was linked to URP corruption.

Sumairsingh was killed overfall-out from the construction of basketball court and pavilion at Poole Valley, Rio Claro.

Former local government minister Dhanraj Singh was charged with the murder, but later freed in the High Court. Singh is also facing 26 fraud charges related to kick backs from URP and other State-run projects.

Sumairsingh is not the only councillor to have been murdered because of URP-related corruption.

In late 2006, Bert Allette, a PNM city councillor, was murdered in Belmont after raising objections about ghost gangs in a URP project, Homicide detectives say.

Incidentally, the man who was questioned about the murder and is still the number one suspect was recently awarded a $2 million Government project, sources from the police's gang intelligence unit say.

Recently, Selwyn "Robocop" Alexis, during a recent kidnapping trial, said in open court that he built houses for the then National Housing Authority under the UNC. No one from the Opposition ever denied the charge.

Based on police intelligence and records, the escalation in gangland violence and murders started in late 2001, early 2002.

Deputy Police Commissioner Gilbert Reyes has said that gang murders are mainly responsible for the country's high homicide rate.

Police records show that the increase in murders coincided with the appointment of Mark Guerra as national adviser to the URP. The post, which had never existed before then, was created for Guerra.

In September of 2002, one Government minister moved to stem the corruption in the URP by appointing members of the Flying Squad as programme supervisors.

But Manning reversed the decision after he met with several gang leaders, including Guerra and Phillip, at the Ambassador Hotel, Long Circular Road, St James.

Weeks later, when the violence exploded, Manning secretly met with gang leaders again at the same hotel and at the Rose Foundation in St James, to broker a peace deal.

Guy had said, based on police information then, that the URP and the NHA refurbishing projects were contributing to the gang violence and that most of the people involved in the murders were part of a Muslim organisation.

Late in 2002, Sean "Bill" Francis went public and said that ghost gangs in the URP and NHA projects were the main reasons behind gang violence in Laventille and Morvant.

Francis said while he was a programme coordinator in 1998/99, he got rid of over 7,000 "ghosts" in the Port of Spain region, an area controlled by Guerra.

Former PNM senator

Muhammad Shabaaz was at the side of Francis when he met Manning at the Rose Foundation, St James.

Shabaaz was soon after fired as the coordinator of the $250 million NHA refurbishing project, and in his place Cabinet appointed former murder accused David "Buffy" Millard, who held the post until he fled to Guyana.

In one public fiasco several "ghosts" were paid millions of State dollars. Names such as "Jennifer Lopez", "Serena Williams" and "Arnold Schwarzenegger" were paid for painting houses in east Port of Spain.

The Opposition had asked that the audited report of the project be laid in Parliament, but it was never done.

In the run-up to the elections of 2002, Jamaat al Muslimeen leader Imam Yasin Abu Bakr revealed that Government had started the paper work to hand over five acres of State lands adjoining the Mucurapo headquarters of the organisation to them. Manning pulled back under public pressure.

The murders continued in 2003 and it was around this time that Phillip and Charles started amassing their wealth after Guerra was murdered, police say.

Phillip was leader of the infamous G-Unit gang and Charles was the head of all the major criminals in west Port of Spain. At the time of his murder, Charles was described as a URP contractor worth $14 million.

Months before he was killed, Phillip was given a million-dollar Government contract to build a health centre at Oxford Street, Port of Spain. Phillip admitted to getting the contract during an interview with CNMG.

In 2004, Kirk Walker, a former coup maker, said he was illegally paid a URP cheque to keep him quiet after a gangster pulled a gun on him - this despite Walker's not having worked with the programme.

Walker was given the Government cheque for $710.30, dated December 20, 2004. The cheque, number U 00648168, was issued for work done in the Arima Region, Bertie Road Sanitation Project for the fortnight November 22 to December 3.

Then URP acting manager Uric Williams said he was aware of similar situations in that region, where people were being paid for work not performed.

During Abu Bakr's conspiracy to murder trial, State witness Brent Danglade said in open court that he was paid for not doing any work in the programme.

Under Singh, a unit was set up to investigate ghost gangs in the URP and has compiled several reports confirming the existence of it.

In 2004, the Ministry of Local Government started a programme to award URP contracts to gangsters if they gave up their guns, a Sunday Express expose reported.

Dumas, however, said he was not aware of such a programme.

Last year, detectives linked a wave of murders in Sea Lots, Port of Spain, to a URP contract awarded to a known criminal in the Production Avenue area.

Rasheed, who was given a URP contract to build drains at Seventh Avenue, Malick, was murdered and police said the death was related to fall-out from the contract.

Scott, whose murder sparked a wave of violence in Picton three weeks ago, was a contractor at the Beverly Hills apartments site.

Several other gang leaders and known criminals identified by the Inter Agency Task Force are also employed with the URP as either contractors, supervisors, foremen or normal workers, despite their involvement in murders, drug trafficking and kidnappings.

Police say as long as criminals benefit from State-run projects like the URP, gang violence will never stop, as corrupt monies from the special projects will continue to fund the killings and gangland violence.

What Justice Carmona said on Friday:

"Some person in authority had stated that there were no criminals in the URP. I dare say, in fact, that particular statement by the person in authority was highly delusional and totally irresponsible, because not only I, but my other brothers have made the observation time and time again of a lot of criminal activity taking place in the bowel of the URP and that is the stark reality.

"Based on matters coming before the courts in the last 18 months, I can tell you that in the bowels of the URP there is rank criminality and the authorities need to address this, you understand."

What Dumas said in an interview in 2005:

"I am saying that you will not find an individual or a group of individuals turning up and getting their cheques from us without working for it. I feel you will have serious difficulty in finding that.

"People might be employed with URP just as they could be employed anywhere else, but their major activity is outside URP. They are not using URP funds to fund kidnapping or fund drug trafficking. If you use their URP membership or the occasion of work in the URP to identify them, then you are stigmatising the URP. If it's a drug lord it's a drug lord, if it's a drug salesman, it's a drug salesman, if it's a kidnapper it's a kidnapper."

The progression of murders between 2001 and 2007;

2001 151

2002 171

2003 229

2004 260

2005 386

2006 371

2007 388

Black Lives Matter..

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2008, 07:07:13 PM »

What a smokescreen...have people talking about newspaper rules on dialect instead of the details.
Doh dispute nutten in the article eh but ring the alarm the dialect get fix up  STEUPSE

Some next youth from the G-Unit gang get gun down.

truetrini

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2008, 08:10:25 PM »

What a smokescreen...have people talking about newspaper rules on dialect instead of the details.
Doh dispute nutten in the article eh but ring the alarm the dialect get fix up  STEUPSE

Some next youth from the G-Unit gang get gun down.

so what de f**k yuh really want?

if de c**ts and dem want to join gang and shoot each other..tell me what is your f**king solution tuh end de shit?

Short ah killing dem like dey does do in Brazil, their will is th kill and be killed...what de f**k is de solution, all ah allyuh does bump allyuh gum.  T&T have plenty work and plenty money and plenty opportunity..how come your ass eh in ah gang shooting people and raping and robbing?

Panday, Dookeran and de rest need to offer suggestions vice criticisms.

Is not ah smokescreen, yuh say de man say one ting when de evidence proves it is not de case,, what else she take license with?

STEUPS!

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2008, 10:29:28 PM »

From what I' ve observed...they actually quote the subject directly "dialect/bad/broken english" and all.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2008, 10:31:16 PM »
--
We talking Trinidad here.

truetrini

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2008, 11:36:46 PM »
--
We talking Trinidad here.

I never see any reporter worth his or her salt changing anyone's words and still put it in quatations!

NEVER!

First rule of any english class..farless a reporter?

steups.

I cyar trust she at all.  She qualified tuh get ah wuk with Matt Drudge!

First things first, I beleive dat dey have gangs in T&T and dey have bad boys doing shit, killing etc.

I jes feel she get ah little story and make it bigger.

If a reporter writes something like dis I could go along.:

Andy voiced concern that more young lives could be lost in the embattled Laventille/Picton Street areas, if the police did not respond to the cries of citizens in those areas.

"I fraid more youth and dem would lorse they life if the police eh listen to when we complain."  "Is ah war zone." He stated.

dat is more journalistic integrity and the proper way to write.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 11:40:14 PM by truetrini »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2008, 11:45:04 PM »
my 2c is that if ira mathur intend to sell the article to a caribbean newspaper...well not even that...TT what you write dey, I ent go put it in a newspaper even if that is what the man say verbatum.

truetrini

« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2008, 11:51:25 PM »
my 2c is that if ira mathur intend to sell the article to a caribbean newspaper...well not even that...TT what you write dey, I ent go put it in a newspaper even if that is what the man say verbatum.

Then yuh write it the right style and make select quotes.    Journalism is what it is.  Yuh doh make stuff up.  And dat is MOST LIKELY what she did.

Yuh cyar write I said "Most of us are uneducated, well for the most part, as we only have a primary school education."

when I actually said:  "Most ah we not too bright and ting yuh know, we only finish primary school."

Yuh doh do dat and call it journalism or reporting...because YUH NOT REPORTING!

truetrini

« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2008, 11:51:53 PM »
NO URP KILLINGS
Laventille MP: Only 40 people of 388 murdered worked in programme
Ria Taitt Political Editor

Tuesday, February 26th 2008

There is no criminal activity in the URP or killings related to the programme, NiLeung Hypolite, Parliamentary Secretary in Works and Transport, the Ministry with responsibility for URP, said yesterday.

His statement contradicted comments by Justice Anthony Carmona that "in the bowels of the URP there was rank criminality", and that the person who said otherwise was being "delusional and totally irresponsible".

Hypolite did not challenge directly Carmona's statement, which was made as he gave a ruling in a murder trial last Friday.

But the Laventille West MP stated: "I would like someone to provide evidence to prove there is a link between the URP programme and the criminal activity taking place in Trinidad and Tobago today."

He said contrary to the public perception that the fight for URP contracts was fuelling gang-related violence, "there was no contract work being offered in the URP. In fact, the last Special Works contract under the URP was done over two years ago".

"We have no contractors involved in the programme," he insisted.

Hypolite said that of the 388 people murdered last year, the URP office of the Ministry of Works and Transport identified "only approximately 40 persons" as URP employees. And, he stressed, none of the 40 was a gang leader. He said even then, one could not say that these were URP killings or killings which were directly related to the programme.

"Two persons who may be working in the URP programme may have their own outside quarrel and they decide to kill one another. That is their business, it has nothing to do with the URP programme," he stressed.

He claimed that this happened in other work places.

"Two persons may be working in a bank and after work they decide to go and fight it out. Does this mean that the bank is linked to criminality?" he asked.

Saying that in every employment place there was some criminal element, he explained that the nature of the URP programme, which caters for the unemployed who have difficulty finding work in normal business places, meant that its employees may include "people who come out of the prisons and are looking for reform".

"After all, it is the largest social programme in the country, so there may be people in the programme who are involved in illegal activities."

But he insisted this did not mean that the programme was linked to crime.

"And I take offence at the fact that every time there is a murder, it is linked to the URP," he said.

Hypolite stressed that like any entity out there, "we (in the URP) could do better".

Notwithstanding this, he contended, it was madness to suggest that the programme should be suspended or shut down.

"When you shut it down and you have 20,000 persons outside there looking for a dollar, what do you think is going to happen?" he asked.

He said at present, all the persons between the ages of 18 to 25 years on the URP register, were being transferred to Government training programmes such as MuST, YAPPA, et cetera.

He said he believed there were areas in the programme that could be streamlined because Government wanted to get value for money in the three elements comprising the programme. These elements were the maintenance works, the construction works and the women's programme, he said.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2008, 09:07:40 AM »
So more than 10% of murder victims last year in the whole country were URP workers but he just dismisses it.

truetrini

« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2008, 09:16:45 AM »
So more than 10% of murder victims last year in the whole country were URP workers but he just dismisses it.

hahahaha  I know that was coming.  Consider that more murders are committed in one section of the country, the one with the highest number of gangs, the highest level of poverty and the lowest levels of education, and yuh go see dat dere must be members of gangs etc. in the URP....!

40 murders seem a lot though.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2008, 09:21:14 AM »
Until you have sufficient proof, consider everything, dismiss nothing.

truetrini

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2008, 09:37:00 AM »
Until you have sufficient proof, consider everything, dismiss nothing.

I know in my heart that the URP have gangsters.  I know for a fact that the URP has gang connections.

The thing is....how bad is it..ok let me rephrase any amount is bad.  How pervasive is it?

1]; } ?>