April 27, 2024, 09:24:27 PM

Author Topic: ‘Magician’ all set to perform  (Read 3982 times)

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
‘Magician’ all set to perform
« on: August 31, 2005, 09:13:06 PM »
BY NIGEL SIMON
Trinidad Guardian

Magic was in the air yesterday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Port of Spain. And if the performance put on by the ‘Little Magician’ Russell Latapy is an indication of things to come on Saturday, then T&T could well cast a spell on the visiting Guatemala team and come away with the three points that are so vital on the road to the World Cup Finals in Germany next year.
Showing little signs of wear and tear on his 37-year-old body and the effects of the 30-plus degree sunny conditions, the former national captain displayed flashes off his old brilliance during the training session—his second with the Warriors.
It was the Warriors third session at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, ahead of the CONCACAF World Cup 2006 qualifier versus Guatemala on Saturday at the same venue from 4.30pm
Also in attendance were team captain Dwight Yorke, Carlos Edwards, Atiba Charles, Ian Cox, Avery John, Christopher Birchall, Brent Sancho, Marvin Andrews, Shaka Hislop, Anton Pierre, Silvio Spann, Glenton Wolfe, Densil Theobald, Scott Sealy, Aurtis Whitley, Cyd Gray, Kelvin Jack and Lebanon-based scout David Nakhid who also participated.
Jason Scotland, a late call-up for the injured Kenwyne Jones and Dennis Lawrence who will be illegible for the Costa Rica match on September 7, were expected to arrive last night.
Watched by a small group of spectators, Latapy settled in quickly during the first hour of training and looked comfortable on the ball while participating in a 30-minute half-field ball exercise under the watchful eyes of coach Leo Beenhakker and his two assistants.
The presence of the former FC Porto and Rangers midfielder seemed to have already injected new life into the players, who for the first time in the three sessions had coach Beenhakker nodding his head in approval.
On Tuesday, with only nine players available then, Beenhakker was forced to stop the session on numerous occasions to explain thoroughly what he wanted done on the field. He also asked for more urgency.
But with the experienced core of players coming in from Europe led by Latapy, team captain Dwight Yorke, Stern John, Birchall, Hislop and Jack all present, the national coach looked relaxed.
Latapy, Yorke, Stern John, Andrews, Theobald, Aurtis Whitley, Spann and Avery John were put on one team and given orders to attack with confidence and pace, against Jack and company.
The “Little Magician” known to be a master of that craft, wrong-footed the opposing defenders and on one occasion, left defender Ian Cox of Gillingham for dead, with one of his “Sugar Ray Leonard” body fakes, which resulted in the defender tripping him up.
Later on, Latapy in a flash-back to his days with the national team, worked a quick one-two inside the 18-yard box with close pal Dwight Yorke.
With little time to find the target, the “Little Magician” then composed himself and chipped the ball over the head of lanky T&T goalkeeper Shaka Hislop, which quickly drew applause from the few who had braved the steamy conditions to get a glimpse of the midfield wizard.
Despite his brilliance, coach Beenhakker had hinted that Latapy will have to prove himself for his pick in the final squad. But following yesterday’s session, Beenhakker should have little difficulty in making his decision.
Following the session, Beenhakker had one injury concern, that of right winger Carlos Edwards.
Edwards, who missed the Concacaf Gold Cup Finals and USA qualifier due to injury, picked up a slight knock on his right foot in a tackle with Whitley and had to sit out the remainder of the session.
But it is not said to be a serious injury and he was expected to train in the afternoon session.
Today the Warriors will resume training from 9.30 am followed by an afternoon session from 5.30 pm.
However only the afternoon session will be open to the media.
Guatemala meanwhile arrived in T&T today, but have not scheduled any training session until tomorrow.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
Re: ‘Magician’ all set to perform
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2005, 09:33:40 PM »
Jason Scotland, a late call-up for the injured Kenwyne Jones and Dennis Lawrence who will be illegible for the Costa Rica match on September 7, were expected to arrive last night.

?
anybody could paraphrase?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2005, 09:36:02 PM by Tallman »

jusme

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2005, 06:33:23 AM »

?
anybody could paraphrase?

I think they mean Dennis will be eligible, not illegible, for the Costa Rica game.  Or maybe they mean that the Costa Rican defence wouldn't be able to read him at all.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2005, 06:47:48 AM »
I wonder if the presence of Nakhid is the reason why Beenie didn't call no replacement for Samuel.
Nakhid must be tell Beenie, to hell with this scouting business, if you could give a 37 year old Latapy a chance to make de squad as a player then give me one too!
And dat is why we having so many close door sessions, so de Guats can't see Latapy and Nakhid working their old magic together in the middle.  I hear Dwarika, Rougier and Wise training in de close door sessions too   :o

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2005, 07:13:38 AM »
I wonder if the presence of Nakhid is the reason why Beenie didn't call no replacement for Samuel.
Nakhid must be tell Beenie, to hell with this scouting business, if you could give a 37 year old Latapy a chance to make de squad as a player then give me one too!
And dat is why we having so many close door sessions, so de Guats can't see Latapy and Nakhid working their old magic together in the middle. I hear Dwarika, Rougier and Wise training in de close door sessions too :o

Da is ah joke rite ? ..... RITE ?  ???
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2005, 08:40:20 AM »
Arrow all the joke aside......against Alianza Lima Nahkid for the 20 min he was on the field was the best TT player besides Yorke on the night.

As he came on he start to calm down things, was spreading ball and organizing the middle. Which is why the Lima players start to BLADE HIM one time and as such he had to be stretched off after an airborne collision.

I realise when men type opinions on this forum people does take thing serious, so I will be cautious but from the little I have seen of Nahkid, he is better than all the midfielders we currently have. Given time, it would have been interesting to see him in the Gold Cup in that position.
He is fitter than some of the current players and his presence too will be an asset.

But let us remember football is a young boy game. I think he is just keeping fit training with the team and helping the coach as well as he does pull up the younger players when they slacking of. Also when running drills you need numbers who are quality and who can carry out instructions and not cause confusion and mess up practice. So if it is he suits up and plays in the must win on Sat.............I would be not be surprised, especially as numerous players for the entire campaign have been tried on that left side with little or no success.

The most successful left sided midfielder was Tiger.........and men ent find he good, but he play the best in that position thus far.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2005, 08:55:53 AM »
Nakhid and Latas in d middle could  be a defensive liability.

But I still remember Nakhid runnin tings in shell cup '94 d day before Lara break d record, leadin us to a 7-2 rout of Martinique in d oval.
Cah remember d last time we mash up anybody so nah. Saturday might be d day
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2005, 09:14:23 AM »
The most successful left sided midfielder was Tiger.........and men ent find he good, but he play the best in that position thus far.

I agree with you there on Tiger.  If you look at the highlights from the first USA game plenty of our attacks were coming down that left side and tiger created some scoring chances for Stern, even had a great chance himself.  Of course that was when Carlos had just come back but he outshine Carlos in that game and overall the left side was at least equal to the right.
For those who missed it look it here

Also I wouldn't be opposed to seeing Nakhid there, but I would prefer him as a 2nd half sub for a Whitely or Birchall to provide some calming influence if the game is close.  Whether we up or down there will be a tendency to panic a bit near the end given the importance of this game, we can't afford to give up any 90th minute goal like Panama.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2005, 09:56:48 AM »
I have to 2nd Touches on the Nahkid issue, I seen him train in Ft Lauderdale and his touch and confidence on the ball was superior to some of the other guys on the field similar to Dwights presence.  And after the display vs Colombia in terms of fitness, even at 40+ he cant be too far behind the younger guys, so if he make it on to the field i wont be too upset

so Dwarika, Rougier and Wise huh!!!

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2005, 10:21:16 AM »
Nakhid and Latas in d middle could be a defensive liability.

But I still remember Nakhid runnin tings in shell cup '94 d day before Lara break d record, leadin us to a 7-2 rout of Martinique in d oval.
Cah remember d last time we mash up anybody so nah. Saturday might be d day

Canada and Panama get it rough in TnT during the semifinal round of WC2002 qualifying. Last time I remember us really roughing up some teams.

Doubt Nakhid playing

One theory I have about Beenie is that as a Dutch coach, he really emphasizes technique and positional discipline. By technique I basically mean ability to strike the ball cleanly with any part of the foot, and with either foot, excellent ball control in all situations. I looking at the men who getting drop...only men who touch lil' heavy. Even though they have other good traits Tiger, Glenn and Rojas may not fit into the usual Dutch philosophy of what is a good baller. Men like Stern and Theobold not performing, but their technique is good. A man like Rahim will always be considered because his touch is clean and he is positionally disciplined. Birchall, Yorke, Stern etc. have two things in common..solid technique and ability to follow orders. The men who playing, who technique a little off are probably considered irreplaceable..(eg Dog and Avery). Not to say heart, commitment and other traits are not important, but I feel he values players that have stronger technical qualities. Just a theory

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:28:44 AM »
Decent point Filho. How would you explain Beenie's choice of Jack over Shaka? I guess you would say that Shaka's fitnes/form/confidence is subpar? as that Guatemala performance was before Beenie arrived. Just curious.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 10:41:41 AM »
I feel if Shaka was playing regularly he would be 1st choice. He pardoned himself from the squad to fix up his club situation a  few months ago and Jack took his chance. Jack gives me one or two jitters here and there, but he is a good shot stopper and improves with every game.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2005, 10:43:24 AM »
Dreamer, I haven't seen Jack play, but I find Shaka does get ketch flat-footed a little too often fuh me. Ah know de man is a good and experienced goalie and I does always support any side he playing for but if yuh ask me, is like he never really recover from he last stint with West Ham when dey hang him out to dry and he was regularly getting 5. Besides, yuh have to wonder why he been regularly getting beat out by Ince for years and now Jack getting pick in front of him.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2005, 10:50:52 AM »
Dreamer, I haven't seen Jack play, but I find Shaka does get ketch flat-footed a little too often fuh me. Ah know de man is a good and experienced goalie and I does always support any side he playing for but if yuh ask me, is like he never really recover from he last stint with West Ham when dey hang him out to dry and he was regularly getting 5. Besides, yuh have to wonder why he been regularly getting beat out by Ince for years and now Jack getting pick in front of him.

Mose,
I am cool with that. i just wanted to hear Filho develop his point. I personally would play Jack at this point too (the game against the US really solidified his position), but I was just hoping that somebody would send Jack a message to do less random kicking and deliver the ball somehow. No disrepec' to the player.  He is trying his best and ia a true warrior.

Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2005, 11:45:17 AM »
Mose...I hearin' you. I think we definitely seeing the last years of Shaka, even though I would argue he is still a higher level than Jack, overall. Not now though, as Jack is in better form and is playing regularly. Jack earn his spot no doubt. But I not sure what you meant by Ince was regularly beating Shaka to start. Ince is actually a real good keeper in my opinion and was deservedly holding it down for a while. But until Shaka had to leave the sqaud to sort out his business I fine Shaka was getting the nod right through. Once Shaka was fit, he hardly ride the bench for TnT. Not in the bg tournaments anyway. Usually when Ince and them keeping...Shaka not in the squad. Not always, but usually.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2005, 01:40:34 PM »
Well Filho, if ah was wrong den my bad.  :-[ It just seem to me that it had a good period when Ince was starting instead of Shaka. If is de case dat Shaka wasn't even on de squad (injuries, club or personal reasons) den slap me silly and call me davy(jenny).  ;)

I was just hoping that somebody would send Jack a message to do less random kicking and deliver the ball somehow.
To be honest with you Dreamer, I did never feel Shaka kicking game was any good. He could kick it hard and far but delivering it somewhere in particular ...
Although to be honest with you, offhand de only keepers ah could tink of who could handle deyself with de ball at they feet is Barthez, Campos, Higuita(except against Milla) and dat fella from Paraguay(?) who used to take penalties.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2005, 01:49:34 PM »
Did he just say Barthez ?    :devil: :devil: :devil: lol
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2005, 01:59:49 PM »

You don't think Bartez had good feet ? I think so.........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2005, 02:03:27 PM »

Yes Barthez. He could be real strange sometimes, but he could deliver a 40 yd pass in de air better dan half we defence right now. Tired see him do it fuh Man U.

Offline rocwell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2005, 02:46:52 PM »
One theory I have about Beenie is that as a Dutch coach, he really emphasizes technique and positional discipline. By technique I basically mean ability to strike the ball cleanly with any part of the foot, and with either foot, excellent ball control in all situations.

This is simply referred to as fundamentals.  A team with players who lack these is hopeless.

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2005, 02:54:26 PM »
“T&T was never far from my heart, although I was so far away. I kept in touch with the team’s progress and kept interested in the cause. It is really heartening to know that I am still appreciated and people think that I can make a difference,” Latas said this in another article. However I could have sworn that 2 weeks or so ago we read on this forum an article with him saying that he never followed the team in the last few years and never really looked at their matches?? I could be going off but I am sure he said that...

Anyway Latas you know I is your biggest fan, so I eh mind if you remenisce and now ready to continue to great work you always did with us up to 2001.

Jason.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power."

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2005, 03:43:52 PM »
One theory I have about Beenie is that as a Dutch coach, he really emphasizes technique and positional discipline. By technique I basically mean ability to strike the ball cleanly with any part of the foot, and with either foot, excellent ball control in all situations.

This is simply referred to as fundamentals. A team with players who lack these is hopeless.

Actually, I talking that extra technique beyond the fundamentals. You can have good fundamentals and not have great technique. All the men on the national team have the fundamentals or not one would be playing pro (especially not the ones in foreign). But I probably getting into semantics now. I feel I know what you saying rocwell.

And Mose...you not wrong bredda. It had times when Ince was surely de #1 in the nets...ahead a Shaka and all. I just feel that once Shaka was fully fit and playing for his club he was TnT #1 more times than not.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2005, 04:27:46 PM »
filho, reading your first post here nearly make mih  :'(, cuz it was such a good theory, and would explain perfectly this complex scheme beenie is using to choose players...having said that I feelin shame to throw in this lame theory, with no backing...but I feel the shaka situation is 2 fold 1) I feel beenie take shaka "snub" for personal reasons, not very well and maybe wanted to test his real commitmennt to the team (by having him ride bench and see if he doh ride out like ince)...and 2) I feel the man have the vision to see that your #1 keeper could get mash up anytime and out the game...for many games...so develop your #2 to be as good as your #1 or else yuh ent go get far.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2005, 04:31:20 PM »
And Mose...you not wrong bredda. It had times when Ince was surely de #1 in the nets...ahead a Shaka and all. I just feel that once Shaka was fully fit and playing for his club he was TnT #1 more times than not.

With all dat, Shaka eh play much fuh T&T. He only have 21 caps.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>