April 27, 2024, 10:56:17 PM

Author Topic: Serie A club Cagliari deducted three points  (Read 697 times)

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Serie A club Cagliari deducted three points
« on: March 02, 2008, 04:53:49 AM »
Serie A club Cagliari deducted three points

ROME, March 1 (Reuters) - Serie A basement side Cagliari have been deducted three points after taking unauthorised legal action against a former player for alleged defamation.

The club took action against defender Gianluca Grassadonia after he made a series of critical comments about Cagliari in a newspaper interview.

The Italian Soccer Federation (FIGC) has punished the club for breaking its rules on taking disputes outside the realm of sporting justice without permission.

Cagliari President Massimo Cellino said he would appeal.

'To the players and the squad I just say that the points have only been taken away temporarily,' he told La Gazzetta dello Sport on Saturday.

'This should not distract us from the road to safety (from relegation). I'm relaxed about how I handled things. I have always been careful to respect the rules. It's a big misunderstanding.'

Cellino was also banned for a year and fined 10,000 euros ($15,190), while the club received a fine of 20,000 euros.

The three-point deduction, if upheld, would be a huge blow to Cagliari's hopes of survival. It leaves them with 15 points from 25 games, nine points away from the survival zone.

'It's another body blow and a new hurdle to overcome, but I'm sure the three points will be given back,' coach Davide Ballardini told Cagliari's website.

'The players are attached to the colours and they will cut a fine figure tomorrow (at home against Genoa) too.' (Writing by Paul Virgo, Editing by Clare Lovell)
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

1]; } ?>