April 28, 2024, 09:04:25 PM

Author Topic: Post ah movie thread  (Read 279203 times)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Post ah movie thread
« Reply #1080 on: January 22, 2013, 10:40:07 PM »
Django... wow, hands down one of the best movies I've seen in a while.  I defended Spike Lee, but nah  Tarantino got this one right.
epic.

Enjoyed this movie. The fact that it was a western was just a bonus.

A little unrealistic that a black man could go around the West running his mouth like that and not get killed but in all very good movie.

Question: who is the white female who makes the odd appearance in the movie. In the end she was looking at a pic of two kids it seems in Europe or some foreign country.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: February 12, 2013, 01:12:34 PM »
Saw Lincoln. Good performance by DD Lewis.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: February 18, 2013, 12:29:57 AM »
Die Hard V. Good movie, good action.

Spoiler Alert

I left the movie liking it but feeling like something was missing.
I realized that in all the previous DH movies there were some great hand to hand combat scenes.

BW might be old but he basically never touched any of the bad guys, just shooting.
De yute who play he son, same shit.

Cah believe dey lapse like dat in a DH movie.

VB

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: February 25, 2013, 12:10:54 PM »
Watched Spike "Red Hook Summer" and enjoyed it so much. You could say it was off the Hook ;D
Corny! I know!

Spike seems to have gone back to his earlier work on this one and that is why I enjoyed it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: February 25, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
saw argo yesterday....aint know if it deserve best pic,havent seen lincoln,life of pi or silver linings yet.......i give it 3 stars.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: February 25, 2013, 12:52:24 PM »
saw argo yesterday....aint know if it deserve best pic,havent seen lincoln,life of pi or silver linings yet.......i give it 3 stars.

Only made it through 30 minutes of Lincoln. Slow and quite frankly boring no ass.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: February 25, 2013, 01:02:20 PM »
7 Psychopaths: I really enjoyed it.  Funny gangster story, good cast.  Some Boardwalk Empire dudes made a cameo.
I think Christopher Walken really stood out.  Sam Rockwell had some real funny comments throughout. The story was pretty unusual too.

The Man With The Iron Fists ; some good laughs, they used some typical kickup flick elements like Mr. Jack Knife,
power struggles and some ridiculous action.  Rza had fun makin it.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2013, 01:21:38 PM by Peong »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: February 25, 2013, 03:26:02 PM »
7 Psychopaths: I really enjoyed it.  Funny gangster story, good cast.  Some Boardwalk Empire dudes made a cameo.
I think Christopher Walken really stood out.  Sam Rockwell had some real funny comments throughout. The story was pretty unusual too.

The Man With The Iron Fists ; some good laughs, they used some typical kickup flick elements like Mr. Jack Knife,
power struggles and some ridiculous action.  Rza had fun makin it.

I hear they leave more than an hour on the cutting room floor.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #1088 on: February 27, 2013, 12:08:11 PM »
saw de best picture argo the other day. americans real revise history. ah guess affleck and dem would rather play dey is canadian than do a flim about operation eagle claw.

is de canadian ambassador ken taylor and another canadian john sheardown that tief dem iranian head bad. mendez was a small player. but no harm no foul as dey say.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: March 05, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Ironman 3 extended trailer....ah cyah wait!
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/Ke1Y3P9D0Bc" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/Ke1Y3P9D0Bc</a>
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: March 05, 2013, 05:53:33 PM »
^^^Looking good!

Saw "Mama" the other day. Some nice cheap genre thrills, but I'z ah fella it hard to suspend logic and ignore de wormholes in the plot.  Had real potential but turn out tuh be ah two-scheups special in de end.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: March 10, 2013, 02:55:52 PM »
Took in the Oz movie with my lil ones yesterday, not a bad flick. Watched it in 3D, they did a good job with that.

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: March 13, 2013, 09:29:07 AM »
Red Dawn pure GARBGE!!! I was pissed from the time I see is high school kids taking on the N.Korean Army like they been trained for years on weapons and explosives....  :bs:

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: March 13, 2013, 10:06:19 AM »
Red Dawn pure GARBGE!!! I was pissed from the time I see is high school kids taking on the N.Korean Army like they been trained for years on weapons and explosives....  :bs:

does cyar stand d "over-patriotic" films so I never really wanted to see it....as it looked like that in the previews ......Captain America did a damn good job of not rubbin it in yuh face makin it very watchable allround, ah know servicemen does general like dem ting .....so I'll take your word that it really "that bad"
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: March 13, 2013, 10:10:17 AM »
Took in the Oz movie with my lil ones yesterday, not a bad flick. Watched it in 3D, they did a good job with that.
I went and see it Monday... it wasn't bad.  Coulda been better, but overall good enough.

I also take in Jack the Giant Slayer... pretty much same thing.  It had it's moments.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1095 on: March 14, 2013, 06:48:21 AM »

They had Thor on their side though.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: March 17, 2013, 08:14:30 AM »
Saw the movie Chasing Mavericks. What an inspirational movie, thoroughly enjoyed this true story.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: March 17, 2013, 05:00:04 PM »
mavericks was decent..and for the surfing shots in the movie they filmed at mavericks and were very lucky to shoot at a time when the swells were huge! That just added to it for me
Bra boys is an interesting surf doc if anyone remembers the bra boys riots in Oz years back
Also just watched the Oz movie tonight..was decent..nothing amazing but decent flick
Back in Trini...

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: March 21, 2013, 02:25:35 PM »
Star Trek into Darkness

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yhz4A5BCMAA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yhz4A5BCMAA</a>
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: March 22, 2013, 07:04:46 AM »
Anyone see "Home Again?" I'm curious but might just end up getting vex
Low budget flick filmed in Trinidad starring Tatyana Ali about three people deported to their native Jamaica after growing up abroad

So they take a Trini-american actress, film it in Trinidad and the move about Jamaicans???  ???

http://www.nowtoronto.com/movies/story.cfm?content=191727
whey boy!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: March 22, 2013, 11:37:40 AM »
Low budget flick filmed in Trinidad starring Tatyana Ali about three people deported to their native Jamaica after growing up abroad

So they take a Trini-american actress, film it in Trinidad and the move about Jamaicans???  ???

http://www.nowtoronto.com/movies/story.cfm?content=191727

Got a half decent review in the National Post

Home Again

From page B1 It’s long struck me as one of the more bizarre bureaucratic bungles that someone who has spent 28 of their 30 years in Canada can be sent “back where you came from!” because of a criminal record. Surely such a problem is Canada’s to deal with?  More than 1% of Jamaica’s population is made up of deportees, a phenomenon Sudz Sutherland explores in his first feature since 2003.

Toronto filmmaker Sudz Sutherland clearly has a similar bone to pick. Home Again, his first feature since 2003’s Love, Sex and Eating the Bones, tells linked stories about a Jamaican-born American, Canadian and Briton — three of the thousands of deportees living in Jamaica. (A 2007 New York Times story put the number of such cases at 33,268, or more than 1% of the island nation’s population.)

In short (and slightly clunky) order, we’re introduced to the protagonists. Marva (Tatyana Ali) is a 26-year-old mother who left two kids in Toronto when she was sent packing. Dunston (Lyriq Bent) was involved in petty crime in New York, and quickly takes up similar work in the homeland he left when he was four. Everton St. Clair (Stephan James) is a naive, collegeaged Londoner.

Some of these deportees make softer landings than others, but all have their problems. Not least, they all wind up in the crime-ridden Kingston neighbourhoods of Greenwich Town and Trench Town (ably played by Trinidad), about as far from the tourist images of Jamaica as one can imagine.

Marva lodges with her uncle, whose concept of “paying rent” is disturbingly corporal. Worse, no one will hire a known deportee, on the not-unreasonable assumption that you must have done something pretty unsavoury to get sent back. Thus Dunston becomes a hired gun for a local gangster, while Everton quickly runs out of money and is forced to live on the street, where he starts to resemble Charlie Chaplin’s Little Tramp.

Sutherland wrote the script for Home Again with his wife and coproducer Jennifer Holness, based on information for what was originally conceived as a documentary on the subject. The tripartite nature of the film means that some sections flow better than others, while an attempt to bring all three threads together strikes me as a narrative misstep.

Dunston’s story is easily the strongest and most nuanced. He has a brother (Canadian Richard Chevolleau; born in Jamaica, raised in Toronto) who gets him work in a gang, where he falls for a cook (Fefe Dobson) and, through her brother, dabbles in the Rastafari movement.

In one of the film’s lighter moments, Dunston’s face lights up as he encounters religion-with-a-bong. Sutherland also gets creative with his subtitles (much of the film is in Jamaican slang and patois), which sometimes flitter and float with a life of their own.

The film’s thematic foundation also becomes its biggest weakness. One can feel the plot fighting with the filmmaker’s need to stay on message. But the message, though never disguised, isn’t heavy-handed either. Marva is perhaps least guilty of the trio, but none of the characters are angels. They are simply caught in a cog that Western governments may wish to examine before it catches more people in its indifferent teeth. ΣΣΣ

Home Again opens in Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal on March 22, with additional cities on March 29.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: March 27, 2013, 06:21:38 PM »
world war Z for zombie fans

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4EC7P5WdUko" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4EC7P5WdUko</a>
I pity the fool....

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: March 27, 2013, 09:34:20 PM »
i scared to watch world war z cuz i enjoyed the book immensely..
Back in Trini...

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: March 28, 2013, 07:43:17 AM »
i scared to watch world war z cuz i enjoyed the book immensely..

fraid dey f**k it up or wah?!! :D
I pity the fool....

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: March 30, 2013, 07:03:50 PM »
G.I JOE was not bad, in my opinion, it was better than the first one! The ninja scene was the best for me.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: April 09, 2013, 08:14:43 AM »
G.I JOE was not bad, in my opinion, it was better than the first one! The ninja scene was the best for me.

Severely disappointed by this movie.

Good for the kids though.

AT times the clips didn't seem to gel, like they did some severe editing.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: April 09, 2013, 08:58:30 AM »

Severely disappointed by this movie.

Good for the kids though.

AT times the clips didn't seem to gel, like they did some severe editing.

it was originally done in 2D and dey pull it back to convert it to 3D so dat might ah cause some ah what yuh feelin, plus d first one was more than a little over the top and dis one seemed to be in a similar vane ..........if yuh doin "over d top" yuh execution hadda be top or people goh be steupsin right through.............I had my suspicions it wouldn't be good though, this was supposed to be release summer or fall last year den dey pull it off d schedule to convert it to 3d my guess is to boost opening week revenue
I pity the fool....

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: April 13, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »

Just saw this now. In terms of production, it's far and away the best local movie I've ever seen. Forget the days of Men of Gray or whatever, where you're seeing boom mikes in the shot etc. This looks fantastic. And the three main actors were excellent too. The supporting cast let them down a bit though. Oh, Brent Sancho had minor role.

It was shot entirely in Trinidad, and most of the scenery is recognisable (Long Circular Mall for example). The plot itself was ordinary, but the ending tied things up nicely. Plenty violence, plenty drug use, (don't take the young ones!) Far and away the best local (or "local") movie I've ever seen, and generally a really good effort.  :beermug:

Sounds ridiculous in theory, but I'd say they pulled it off.  :beermug:
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 04:26:33 PM by boss »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: April 13, 2013, 05:11:22 PM »

Just saw this now. In terms of production, it's far and away the best local movie I've ever seen. Forget the days of Men of Gray or whatever, where you're seeing boom mikes in the shot etc. This looks fantastic. And the three main actors were excellent too. The supporting cast let them down a bit though. Oh, Brent Sancho had minor role.

It was shot entirely in Trinidad, and most of the scenery is recognisable (Long Circular Mall for example). The plot itself was ordinary, but the ending tied things up nicely. Plenty violence, plenty drug use, (don't take the young ones!) Far and away the best local (or "local") movie I've ever seen, and generally a really good effort.  :beermug:

Sounds ridiculous in theory, but I'd say they pulled it off.  :beermug:

Depends on what you mean by "local movie." This was a Canadian production shot in TT.

VB

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: April 14, 2013, 06:51:59 PM »
Olympus Has Fallen is one of the best movies I've seen in quite some time... kinda Independence Day, Air Force One and Manchurian Candidate rolled into one.  Real action from jump... action throughout... good performances by the cast... good plot... nice special effects/battle scenes.  Dat "Hydra" is ah beast!  Gerard Butler was real good.  Nice (dark) humor sprinkled in as well, with the characters realistically trying to lighten the mood without trying to be too funny.

1]; } ?>