March 28, 2024, 04:04:33 AM

Author Topic: Post ah movie thread  (Read 275076 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Post ah movie thread
« Reply #540 on: July 09, 2011, 04:38:44 PM »
watching IP man 2 today, saw IP man and really loved the movie

for any kick up fans take een IP man  :beermug:

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: July 09, 2011, 05:13:32 PM »
Contro I was hoping that the Transformers movies would be along the lines of the cartoon, but after the first one, obviously that was not the intent and I gave up hope.
Maybe someone will do a reboot in 10 years time like they did with Batman.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #542 on: July 09, 2011, 06:13:45 PM »
Contro I was hoping that the Transformers movies would be along the lines of the cartoon, but after the first one, obviously that was not the intent and I gave up hope.

i fully agree breds, i was disheartened to see how the first one came out after having a director like bay on the job

i think if goyer had written for transformers, it would have been better, maybe even branaugh, nolan or favreau would have been a better suited director imo

bay is a great director but not for sci fi, not his field of expertise, even snyder would have been a better candidate, adding a dark side to the movie and enhancing it with a better screenplay

a re-boot is possible, but i can't see it for another 15-20 years sadly  :(
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:21:44 PM by Controversial »

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #543 on: July 09, 2011, 06:21:12 PM »

breds now you talking  ;)

nolan did an excellent job with batman, pulling from the batman universe, with notable characters in the first installment, nobody thought he would have approached it that way and look how well it turned out, superb acting, cinematography and the screenplay was great

my top choices in terms of directors for the transformers series would have been

jj abrams, nolan, favreau, branagh and snyder, hands down

i think the transformer series would have been much better under these directors, not to take away from bay because i think he is an excellent director but not for transformers
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 06:24:08 PM by Controversial »

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: July 09, 2011, 08:20:32 PM »
its funny you say that because i liken that line to transformers, because it lacks substance but looks pretty to the movie goer, pulling a profit because of their marketing dollars behind it and michael bay as director

not because of great acting or a screenplay, but thats how movies are now, all graphics and explosions without the in dept storyline to make it a great movie 

Dude...you and this "marketing" nonsense... people going to the see the movie because they want to see ah action movie... not because "marketing" have dem tie up.  This is the third installment, everybody know what Transformers is about by now, the movie marketing itself.  I mean I understand yuh's ah big fan and disappointed and all ah that, but that shouldn't stop you from recognizing that people going to see the movie on its own merits and not because they getting duped by hype.  That's just nonsense.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #545 on: July 09, 2011, 09:31:21 PM »
its funny you say that because i liken that line to transformers, because it lacks substance but looks pretty to the movie goer, pulling a profit because of their marketing dollars behind it and michael bay as director

not because of great acting or a screenplay, but thats how movies are now, all graphics and explosions without the in dept storyline to make it a great movie 

Dude...you and this "marketing" nonsense... people going to the see the movie because they want to see ah action movie... not because "marketing" have dem tie up.  This is the third installment, everybody know what Transformers is about by now, the movie marketing itself.  I mean I understand yuh's ah big fan and disappointed and all ah that, but that shouldn't stop you from recognizing that people going to see the movie on its own merits and not because they getting duped by hype.  That's just nonsense.

you are not giving credit to the media and its power in terms of marketing a product to consumers

your talking about over 55 million dollars on an action movie, 5 times the budget of an oscar winning feature film from earlier this year as an example. without the marketing transformers would have generated less revenue because the storyline is weak and the acting is not what many expected from a michael bay blockbuster film.

its beyond seeing an action, take for instance films like sucker punch and priest, action movies, good directors and big budgets, it flopped, transformers is generating that revenue because of how popular the cartoon was, that garnered the initial interest, with bay directing it added more to it, throw in meghan fox a sex symbol and shia an upcoming young actor making waves in hollywood

however, the script/screenplay, the acting and the storyline bay decided to base the screenplay on was weak, so 55 million plus in marketing was needed to cover up the deficiencies in the screenplay and acting.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: July 10, 2011, 12:10:42 AM »
you are not giving credit to the media and its power in terms of marketing a product to consumers

your talking about over 55 million dollars on an action movie, 5 times the budget of an oscar winning feature film from earlier this year as an example. without the marketing transformers would have generated less revenue because the storyline is weak and the acting is not what many expected from a michael bay blockbuster film.

its beyond seeing an action, take for instance films like sucker punch and priest, action movies, good directors and big budgets, it flopped, transformers is generating that revenue because of how popular the cartoon was, that garnered the initial interest, with bay directing it added more to it, throw in meghan fox a sex symbol and shia an upcoming young actor making waves in hollywood

however, the script/screenplay, the acting and the storyline bay decided to base the screenplay on was weak, so 55 million plus in marketing was needed to cover up the deficiencies in the screenplay and acting.

Fella... using industry speak doesn't make your case any more convincing.  The argument isn't whether Transformers would have made more or less money without marketing... that is an absolute red herring and tangential to the discussion.  The question is whether Transformers would have been successful without the marketing push... undoubtedly it would have been.  No matter how you measure "success" it comes down to profitability at the box office on the front end and on the back end DVD sales/rentals.  No amount of marketing will make a shitty movie successful.  No amount of marketing will make even a good movie successful.  At the end of the day it comes down to whether the public is interested in seeing the product you've created on the screen.

Case in point... there was tremendous hype and marketing behind Green Hornet, Thor, X-Men and Green Lantern, for example... including numerous tie-ins with consumer products, incessant commercials and movie trailers.  Yet all of them fell short of expectations.  X-Men is the only one coming close to being a success, yet compared to the other films in the series it's lagging in terms of profitability.  By comparison, the King's Speech has done fabulous at the box office with a minimal of "marketing"... illustrating the point that marketing isn't irrelevant to success, but neither is it a guarantor of success.  The quality of the product is what will cause fans to go talk to their friends and get them hype about the movie... and cause us to come to SW.net and rave about it, not no media or marketing campaign.  Nobody is going to watch Transformers for the acting... Michael Bay or no Michael Bay.  The Robots are the stars... always have been.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 12:17:57 AM by Bakes »

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: July 10, 2011, 06:30:59 PM »

IP 3 better than ip 2...take it een

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: July 10, 2011, 08:07:08 PM »
Horrible Bosses... real kicks...  :rotfl:

I was surprise to see the theater ram... looks like it have good word of mouth... definitely earned
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #549 on: July 10, 2011, 08:42:13 PM »

when did that release?

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: July 11, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »

when did that release?

I pick up that from my dvd man on Charlotte St since Christmas...I ent know about foreign

Donny Yuen is not the main actor and they release it as a prequel

Look it here but on my cover I have it as IP 3

http://www.amazon.com/Ip-Man-Legend-Born-2010/dp/B0041YI4ZO

Right now I taking in 13 Assassins...it going good so far.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 01:51:09 PM by Touches »

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #551 on: July 11, 2011, 09:53:13 PM »

when did that release?

I pick up that from my dvd man on Charlotte St since Christmas...I ent know about foreign

Donny Yuen is not the main actor and they release it as a prequel

Look it here but on my cover I have it as IP 3

http://www.amazon.com/Ip-Man-Legend-Born-2010/dp/B0041YI4ZO

Right now I taking in 13 Assassins...it going good so far.

much appreciated breds, will take it een, disappointed that Yuen is not acting in it, but will watch it regardless

i was planning to see 13 assassins, will also check that as well :beermug:

if you like Donny Yuen, check out "Legend of the Fist: The Return of Chen Zhen" heard it was borse :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: July 15, 2011, 12:01:47 PM »
No amount of marketing will make a shitty movie successful. 

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of the average revenue/profit percentage split between the front end box office and back end sales/rentals. 

If the back end usually accounts for a significantly larger share I'd have to agree with this statement, otherwise you can argue the other way because I imagine alot of box office sales are based on marketing, promos (hype) and guessing on the part of the public...rather than the actual known quality of an product (because it's probably largely unknown at that stage...)
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: July 15, 2011, 03:20:53 PM »
No amount of marketing will make a shitty movie successful. 

It would be interesting to see the breakdown of the average revenue/profit percentage split between the front end box office and back end sales/rentals. 

If the back end usually accounts for a significantly larger share I'd have to agree with this statement, otherwise you can argue the other way because I imagine alot of box office sales are based on marketing, promos (hype) and guessing on the part of the public...rather than the actual known quality of an product (because it's probably largely unknown at that stage...)

As stated earlier "hype" might account for good box office numbers opening weekend followed by a significant drop off in subsequent weekends... because by then the cat is out the bag.  Very rare does a movie that is both panned by critics and fans survive to enjoy subsequent success at the box office.  A rigid comparison to box office receipts relative to rentals/sales would be erroneous on a couple fronts, not the least of which being incursions into such profits on account of piracy and the overall decline in DVD sales/rentals the past 5 or so years.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #554 on: July 21, 2011, 04:54:23 PM »

breds i saw the movie, alot of cg and stunts, little dialogue to talk about and a convoluted story that is contradictory to the cartoon, the question to bay is where does he go from here, as it appears cybertron has been destroyed  :-\

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: July 30, 2011, 12:24:58 AM »
Cowboys and Aliens.... good movie.  Started with a bang and sorta petered out a little near the end, but good storyline, great acting... great special effects... and they didn't try to hide the aliens until the end, only to disappoint you with some weak Saturday morning cartoons aliens.  Aliens was good and action believable.

Harry Potter... a bit of an anti-climax, nothing really new here.  I like the series enough that I enjoyed it but the person I went with nodded off a couple times LOL
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 09:07:17 AM by Bakes »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 30, 2011, 06:49:48 AM »
Cowboys and Indians..

do mean cowboys and aliens..................just clarifying
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 30, 2011, 09:07:58 AM »
Cowboys and Indians..

do mean cowboys and aliens..................just clarifying

Lol... haha yea.  Dai'z what I get fuh posting in the middle of the night.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #558 on: July 30, 2011, 12:16:41 PM »
watching captain america next week, will let everyone know how it goes, goyer is the screenwriter so i expect a good storyline  :beermug:

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 30, 2011, 02:28:17 PM »
horrible bosses was decent,aniston was hott
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 31, 2011, 09:15:08 PM »
Just watched Beats, Rhymes & Life which is a documentary on A Tribe Called Quest. The first film from New Yorker and actor Michael Rapaport. Decent doc - Hip Hop fans should check this one out. Here's my short review.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #561 on: July 31, 2011, 11:58:12 PM »
horrible bosses was decent,aniston was hott

All the "Bosses" were great.

Colin Farrel crack me up. Very different role for him.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 13, 2011, 05:24:32 PM »
just say a decent documentary on the financial crisis called Inside Job. very well put together, charles ferguson gets access to some decent names. the whole US financial industry, US regulators and US universities end up looking bad. but still at the end of the day, de same people running off with billions.

best interviewees:
lagarde, rajan and roubini

it's a real shame that paulson, summers, blankfein, etc. didn't put their hand in some drug kingpin or some mafia pocket. cause they would have deserved the consequences. monkey know which tree to climb.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #563 on: August 25, 2011, 02:58:46 AM »
watching captain america next week, will let everyone know how it goes, goyer is the screenwriter so i expect a good storyline  :beermug:

Capt. America wasn't so bad. Set up for the Avengers movie. thought they did a good job. How de hell he learn to fly a high tech jet just so amused me but other than that pretty good.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 25, 2011, 07:22:27 AM »
Just watched Beats, Rhymes & Life which is a documentary on A Tribe Called Quest. The first film from New Yorker and actor Michael Rapaport. Decent doc - Hip Hop fans should check this one out. Here's my short review.

Really good or wait for DVD good?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 25, 2011, 10:55:01 AM »
Fright Night was decent... had it's moments where I was like "that ent making no sense", but for the most part it's good, even very good.  Colin Farrell owned that role, they stayed true enough to the original.  Chris Sarandon even had a cameo appearance.  Had some nice original touches too.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 25, 2011, 11:53:17 AM »

Really good or wait for DVD good?

i'd wait for DVD. the version they showed in the theatres seems to be missing some interview segments. the DVD should have all the stuff they cut. i see at least two people in the ending credits that never get shown during de flick.

btw, phife dawg real like drama. he come across so  ;D

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 25, 2011, 11:58:22 AM »
"Mammoth" - starring Gael Garcia and Michelle Williams - great flick. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 27, 2011, 08:17:28 PM »
Just see "Skin", real sad story, great courage on Sandra's part though, nice to see folks persevere under all dat pressure
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #569 on: August 28, 2011, 10:18:18 AM »
saw "Blitz", not a bad movie to rent, check it out :beermug:

1]; } ?>