March 28, 2024, 09:43:43 AM

Author Topic: Post ah movie thread  (Read 275118 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Post ah movie thread
« Reply #690 on: December 31, 2011, 07:39:03 PM »
Saw Girl with Dragon Tattoo and MI4 (IMAX) back to back.

Two movies that kept me at the edge of my seat using two different styles.

Tattoo was great, not excellent. I found having read the book before I saw version #1 helpful as some details in version #1 were not explained. Version 2 did a better job in this regard. Many details were included such as the relationship between Mikael and Erika and Mikael and Lisbeth. I like how the flashbacks worked to explain what happened the day Harriet disappeared. Version 2 was weak in showing the downfall of Wennerstrom though. Version 1 and version 2 each stand on their own as two great movies.  Both very enjoyable.

Watching MI4 in IMAX was fun. Lots of excitement.  Enjoyed that film for entirely different reasons.  So that's pretty much fill up my big screen quota for the next 6 months.

I liked it.  Take it in last night with company who had never read the book nor seen the 2009 original.  Surprisingly, she thought it started fast and ended too slow.  I guess because at the start she head was swimming with trying to keep up with the Vanger clan's members and with the frequent flashbacks.  I on the other hand worried she mighta pan it due to the fact that there was so much development of the back story and little action at the start... followed by a hastily-done wrap up at the end.

I was very impressed by how Rooney Mara was able to approximate Noomi Rapace's mannerisms in this movie.  Not sure if it was intentional or not, but going into the movie I was a huge skeptic... but she was excellent.  I thought the original handled the rape scene (and revenge scene) better.  Thought Martin's end, and Wennerstrom's downfall was handled better in the original as well.

Rooney Mara was a beast though, I eh go lie.

I bracing MI4... not a fan of Tom Cruise and having less and less success envisioning him as an action star.  I can't even remember MI3... that's how much of an impression it made on me.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 07:41:06 PM by Bakes »

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #691 on: January 03, 2012, 12:45:21 PM »
saw the help over the weekend.....thought it was lookin drab from previews but quite the opposite,it worth a look.very entertainin
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: January 03, 2012, 08:28:38 PM »
I recently watched and liked

Crazy Stupid Love with Carell and Gosling, Drive with Gosling and the Breaking Bad fella, 50/50 with Rogen and the fella from 3rd Rock.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: January 04, 2012, 11:22:37 AM »
My wife liked the original tattoo better. i actually liked the new one more. Want to see Contraband...

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #694 on: January 04, 2012, 12:22:19 PM »
caught tinker tailor soldier spy. strongly advise watching the original tv series first. they basically cram 6 hours into 2 hours and it was difficult to follow for people not familiar with the plot.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: January 04, 2012, 12:31:46 PM »
Two movies which I saw recently and which I highly recommend are the Help and Warriors.

I believe the black woman who starred in the Help will get nominated for an Oscar.

VB

Saw Warriors over the weekend....boss flick! Enjoyed it more than Mark Walberg's The Fighter.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 12:33:35 PM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: January 04, 2012, 02:19:38 PM »
Really excited to see Act of Valor also  :beermug:

Shout out to all Special Ops...

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #697 on: January 04, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »
Two movies which I saw recently and which I highly recommend are the Help and Warriors.

I believe the black woman who starred in the Help will get nominated for an Oscar.

VB

Saw Warriors over the weekend....boss flick! Enjoyed it more than Mark Walberg's The Fighter.

:beermug: i concur, saw it last nite

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #698 on: January 04, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
caught tinker tailor soldier spy. strongly advise watching the original tv series first. they basically cram 6 hours into 2 hours and it was difficult to follow for people not familiar with the plot.

its been a while, will have to re -visit the tv series to refresh, but the movie looks damn good, just the caliber of actors imo

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: January 04, 2012, 10:35:05 PM »
Last night I saw Dale and Tucker vs Evil.
It's a comedic twist on the hillbillies in the woods type of horror.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: January 05, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »

its been a while, will have to re -visit the tv series to refresh, but the movie looks damn good, just the caliber of actors imo

Boss series. Just bought the 'sequel' Smiley's People' on DVD. Definitely have to catch this movie.

Also have 'Incendies' to watch tonight, supposed to be a good film
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #701 on: January 05, 2012, 02:19:57 PM »

Boss series. Just bought the 'sequel' Smiley's People' on DVD. Definitely have to catch this movie.

Also have 'Incendies' to watch tonight, supposed to be a good film

incendies is a good film, i think i spoke about on here previously... i told touches to check it out

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: January 05, 2012, 02:23:32 PM »
I took in the Immortals in 3d

It on par with 300, if not better in terms of effects, but the story so-so.

I enjoyed it...there was a traitor just like 300, who was the recipient of a "buss eggs"...when I tell you that was dread...the whole cinema cringe and bawl out for the man.

I was looking for more excitement in the end from the Titans...but they wanted to stretch a sequel so its understandable.

See it in 3d...the effects add to the umph of the show.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: January 05, 2012, 02:27:09 PM »

Tattoo was great, not excellent. I found having read the book before I saw version #1 helpful as some details in version #1 were not explained. Version 2 did a better job in this regard. Many details were included such as the relationship between Mikael and Erika and Mikael and Lisbeth. I like how the flashbacks worked to explain what happened the day Harriet disappeared. Version 2 was weak in showing the downfall of Wennerstrom though. Version 1 and version 2 each stand on their own as two great movies.  Both very enjoyable.

Watching MI4 in IMAX was fun. Lots of excitement.  Enjoyed that film for entirely different reasons.  So that's pretty much fill up my big screen quota for the next 6 months.

I liked it.  Take it in last night with company who had never read the book nor seen the 2009 original.  Surprisingly, she thought it started fast and ended too slow.  I guess because at the start she head was swimming with trying to keep up with the Vanger clan's members and with the frequent flashbacks.  I on the other hand worried she mighta pan it due to the fact that there was so much development of the back story and little action at the start... followed by a hastily-done wrap up at the end.

I was very impressed by how Rooney Mara was able to approximate Noomi Rapace's mannerisms in this movie.  Not sure if it was intentional or not, but going into the movie I was a huge skeptic... but she was excellent.  I thought the original handled the rape scene (and revenge scene) better.  Thought Martin's end, and Wennerstrom's downfall was handled better in the original as well.

I bracing MI4... not a fan of Tom Cruise and having less and less success envisioning him as an action star.  I can't even remember MI3... that's how much of an impression it made on me.

Looks like Sony is going ahead with the next film with Mara and Craig even though they only raked in $60 million in NA and $12 million in other markets to date. Production budget was $90 million. But Sony says they are on track for >$100 million in box office receipts.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: January 05, 2012, 02:35:25 PM »
Looks like Sony is going ahead with the next film with Mara and Craig even though they only raked in $60 million in NA and $12 million in other markets to date. Production budget was $90 million. But Sony says they are on track for >$100 million in box office receipts.

Serves them right... should leave well enough alone.  There are already Swedish versions of Fire and Hornet's Nest as well... no need to reinvent the wheel.  Although I surprise it didn't do better myself.  Nutten else Larsen estate will make a mint.  Just from me alone they get ah e-book purchase of the trilogy this past weekend... since ah never read them before.  Netflix getting stream too.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #705 on: January 05, 2012, 05:11:07 PM »

there are tax incentives and credits in the uk, sweden and germany that will help them recover a good portion of the production budget... so to this point i can safely say they made money, not the mega bucks as anticipated but they made a profit to this point, in fact I would go as far as saying they are laughing to the bank bc of intl distribution rights sold for this film prior to the release.

they did not spend enough on marketing and promo, which is why the film grossed less than expected, im not surprised that sony will do the remaining sequels
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 12:44:12 PM by Controversial »

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 07, 2012, 04:55:15 PM »
Sherlock Holmes:  a bromantic comedy/adventure. I only dozed off twice .. one more than the 1st movie. yawn ...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #707 on: January 13, 2012, 08:49:28 PM »
Sherlock Holmes:  a bromantic comedy/adventure. I only dozed off twice .. one more than the 1st movie. yawn ...

I remember TI asking what I thought about the first one and I never got a chance to reply. Basically I thought it was an average movie just not Sherlock Holmes. Way too much physicality for the character. The preview for this one look even less like a Sherlock Holmes story. Plenty slow motion running and big explosions.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #708 on: January 13, 2012, 08:56:34 PM »
Don't know if it was mentioned in here before, and I might be rhell late to de dance..

But i watching a series here called Breaking Bad which have me hooked. Now about halfway through season 3 with one more season to go after and i can't get enough.

Series is about a high school chemistry teacher who found out he had cancer and decide to start making crystal meth. And is bacchanal after bacchanal.

What impresses me the most is the quality of the acting in the series, from the main character Walter White, to the wife.. Pretty much everyone in the show on top of their acting game.

Check out the imdb link here:  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0903747/

Yuh real late but yuh still earlier than me. I watching these 3 seasons for months now on netflix and I don't want to start it because I know I can't finish it.

Same reason I staying away from Boardwalk Empire and Homeland despite the fact that I know is good stuff. Also the reason I have the complete unwatched collection of The Wire and I never bothered to start with Lost. This new brand of big budget serial TV fiction is a time killer.

I watching Idris Elba  in the BBC series Luther right now and enjoying it. A very manageable 10 episodes over two seasons.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #709 on: January 15, 2012, 07:06:33 AM »
Open Range is a good modern western.  Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall.

Thanks, I obviously missed out on this. Will try to check it out this week.

VB

Yes Peong. I checked it out. Good movie.

Another highly recommended one which I totally forgot to mention is Apaloosa starring and directed by Ed Harris. co starring Vigo Mortenson, Rene Zellweger  and Jeremy Irons.

VB

I just discovered another one whilst on holiday in Bali. Seraphim Falls - 2007, starring Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson .

The opening tne minutes where one is chasing the other through the snowy mountains is rivetting.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: January 15, 2012, 07:13:56 AM »

VB

Another highly recommended one which I totally forgot to mention is Apaloosa starring and directed by Ed Harris. co starring Vigo Mortenson, Rene Zellweger  and Jeremy Irons.

VB

I just discovered another one whilst on holiday in Bali. Seraphim Falls - 2007, starring Pierce Brosnan and Liam Neeson .

The opening tne minutes where one is chasing the other through the snowy mountains is rivetting.

VB

Seraphim Falls is a good flick. I not too keen on the part where Angelica Houston shows up.

I still haven't found a modern western to match the Leone movies though. Once Upon A Time In The West might be the greatest western ever made. Maybe my standards are too high? Maybe Leone just spoiled me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUmJkRn_Qxw&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yUmJkRn_Qxw&amp;</a>
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 15, 2012, 10:24:02 AM »

VB

VB

VB

Seraphim Falls is a good flick. I not too keen on the part where Angelica Houston shows up.

I still haven't found a modern western to match the Leone movies though. Once Upon A Time In The West might be the greatest western ever made. Maybe my standards are too high? Maybe Leone just spoiled me.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/yUmJkRn_Qxw&amp;" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/yUmJkRn_Qxw&amp;</a>

I read a poll once of the greatest westerns ever and this was considered number one. Good stars but I found it a bit anticlimatic. There seemed to be a lot of proacastinating and a lot of "gallerying" during the movie. Probably that was considered cool in the 60s but I found it a bit stale. And like a lot of Italian Westerns music and gun shots was overloud.

Now Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson that was a true classic. Great characters who played off each other.

VB

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 15, 2012, 11:24:19 AM »

VB

VB

VB

I read a poll once of the greatest westerns ever and this was considered number one. Good stars but I found it a bit anticlimatic. There seemed to be a lot of proacastinating and a lot of "gallerying" during the movie. Probably that was considered cool in the 60s but I found it a bit stale. And like a lot of Italian Westerns music and gun shots was overloud.

Now Rio Bravo with John Wayne, Dean Martin and Ricky Nelson that was a true classic. Great characters who played off each other.

VB

Yeah, that is a movie people either find the pacing perfect, or too slow. The score was written before filming began, and the music sets the pace. Also Leone says he was interested in the rituals leading to violence, more than the violence itself, hence the gallerying.

I find it hard to watch John Wayne movies, though, that fella couldn't act he way out of a paper bag.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 16, 2012, 04:18:18 PM »
Crazy that "Warrior" didnt get any big nominations ... Best film of 2011 for me... Nick Nolte should be nominated for an Oscar

Top top movie

Cannot wait for The Dark Knight Rises... huge fan of Nolan and what he's done with the last 2

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 27, 2012, 05:51:26 PM »
Crazy that "Warrior" didnt get any big nominations ... Best film of 2011 for me... Nick Nolte should be nominated for an Oscar

Top top movie

Cannot wait for The Dark Knight Rises... huge fan of Nolan and what he's done with the last 2

Well he got it.. Nick Nolte nominated for best supporting actor  :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: February 02, 2012, 08:48:59 AM »

Top top movie

Glad to see that Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer got nominations. Thought that they deserved it when I first saw the movie  but didn't know if Spencer would get it.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: February 04, 2012, 02:09:23 AM »
Took in "the Grey" recently with Liam Neeson.

Good movie. The ending is either cool or pull stones depending on your perspective.

VB

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: February 04, 2012, 03:42:56 PM »

Top top movie

Glad to see that Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer got nominations. Thought that they deserved it when I first saw the movie  but didn't know if Spencer would get it.

VB

I had Octavia pegged for a nomination. Viola is worthy as well. Glad to see she got a nomination as well.

and they both won at the SAG Awards.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: February 20, 2012, 03:01:19 PM »
Rare Exports - who see it?

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: February 20, 2012, 03:55:21 PM »
Rare Exports - who see it?

I send that to my brother as a christmas present.
Is a new Christmas Tradition!

If you like that one, check out Troll Hunter.

1]; } ?>