March 28, 2024, 12:05:26 PM

Author Topic: Post ah movie thread  (Read 275133 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Post ah movie thread
« Reply #840 on: May 15, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
Haywire was damn good.  I didn't expect that at all.  The directing was excellent.
Haywire was damn good.  I didn't expect that at all.  The directing was excellent.
Fell asleep on this one... Did not like how she just start to tell this stranger all their secret business in the car she kinda hijack.

Yeah I thought it strange too but there was a reason.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #841 on: May 15, 2012, 10:35:07 PM »
Avengers is well worth whatever hype out there about the film... I took moms to see it and she was asleep within half an hour LOL

but nah, that was more de "itis" than anything, we went to dinner for Mothers Day right before. She wake up and thorougly enjoyed it. to my surprise she also knew most of the characters (moms is 73 and was never into comics).

My take on it is that it's an excellent movie... absolutely worth the hype. One pardna of mine called it the best superhero movie ever and I look at him sideways. I have to say, having seen it now I completely agree. The Dark Knight might have something to say about that... but Avengers come real good.  Hulk is a facking beast!!

I make no guarantees... but I would be really surprised if folks didn't like it. The storyline is always secondary in these action movies, but in this case it was credible and well-developed. The one knock I would make is that to an extent you kinda have to see "Thor" to really pick up the backstory because they don't really explain it. The gist of it though (and this is not a spoiler for me to say it) is that Thor and Loki are brothers, and that Loki tired of playing second fiddle in the Asgardian band and decide to act out in "Thor" by unleashing hell on Earth.

Avengers kinda pick up the story from there... and if you go see it that should help you understand the storyline better.

The character development is also excellent, I love the natural affiliations and antipathy that form among them... as with 'humans' in the real world, you'll like some people and not like others... even in the midst of adversity. That was a nice touch.

Lawd... and action galore fuh de comic geeks like me. It was a special thrill for me to see my two favorite superheroes growing up, Iron Man and Thor, in action... in the same movie. Bess flick!

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #842 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:16 AM »
Watched Avengers last night with my lady...I was like a big ass kid, all excited and wanted to point out key moments in the movie to her, but I had to keep meh kool, so I won't look like a child lol...although I think she likes that sometimes....Anyway..That movie was BOSSSS..Hulk was a beast and had me cracking up..I won't spoil it for those who have not seen it. I watched it in the IMAX 3D version and was very impressed. This was my first IMAX experience. I never really wanted to spend extra for a movie that I thought would be the same except for 3D effects, which was not a big deal to me, but this IMAX 3D thing made me feel like I was there at times. They put us inside of a car a couple of times, and that was very impressive the way they brought the audience into the movie and made us apart of the chaos during the fight scenes at the end. Did anyone notice that? Superhero movies are always kool, but never really live up to my expectations, but this one was very good and I would have to give it a 9 out of 10 in Superhero ratings. For those who have not seen it, I suggest you wait till the end of the credits to see a sequel teaser.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #843 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:48 AM »
Avengers is well worth whatever hype out there about the film... I took moms to see it and she was asleep within half an hour LOL

but nah, that was more de "itis" than anything, we went to dinner for Mothers Day right before. She wake up and thorougly enjoyed it. to my surprise she also knew most of the characters (moms is 73 and was never into comics).

My take on it is that it's an excellent movie... absolutely worth the hype. One pardna of mine called it the best superhero movie ever and I look at him sideways. I have to say, having seen it now I completely agree. The Dark Knight might have something to say about that... but Avengers come real good.  Hulk is a facking beast!!

I make no guarantees... but I would be really surprised if folks didn't like it. The storyline is always secondary in these action movies, but in this case it was credible and well-developed. The one knock I would make is that to an extent you kinda have to see "Thor" to really pick up the backstory because they don't really explain it. The gist of it though (and this is not a spoiler for me to say it) is that Thor and Loki are brothers, and that Loki tired of playing second fiddle in the Asgardian band and decide to act out in "Thor" by unleashing hell on Earth.

Avengers kinda pick up the story from there... and if you go see it that should help you understand the storyline better.

The character development is also excellent, I love the natural affiliations and antipathy that form among them... as with 'humans' in the real world, you'll like some people and not like others... even in the midst of adversity. That was a nice touch.

Lawd... and action galore fuh de comic geeks like me. It was a special thrill for me to see my two favorite superheroes growing up, Iron Man and Thor, in action... in the same movie. Bess flick!
jeezan ages bakes...i go swear u wukkin fuh sikkel and ebert.......anyway i goin weekend with meh daughters.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #844 on: May 16, 2012, 11:21:31 AM »
Warched Sherlock Holmes with my kids last night. I enjoyed RDJ, convincing actor & adds something to every role. Good flick with  a nice mix of action & humor
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #845 on: May 16, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »
If you have Netflix, there is a Avengers cartoon series on there. It's season 1. I recommend it.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #846 on: May 16, 2012, 06:08:37 PM »
Warched Sherlock Holmes with my kids last night. I enjoyed RDJ, convincing actor & adds something to every role. Good flick with  a nice mix of action & humor

I like Downey, Jr. too and love his interpretation of Sherlock Holmes.  My gripe with him is that he and Favreau seem to believe he must play Tony Stark the same exact way, and for me it eh really working.  It was arrite in the first Iron Man, but kinda overbearing by the time the second one reach.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #847 on: May 16, 2012, 07:34:21 PM »
took in the Avengers last night in 3D. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to after the last credits rolled.

Even started to clap and laugh out loud after the Hulk and Loki encounter.  LOL

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Very enjoyable movie.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #848 on: May 16, 2012, 07:40:53 PM »
took in the Avengers last night in 3D. Thoroughly enjoyed it from start to after the last credits rolled.

Very enjoyable movie.

"ENOUGH!! Enough! I am a GOD and I will NOT be bullied by a common human". 

...I nearly dead yes lol

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #849 on: May 17, 2012, 05:02:57 AM »

Very enjoyable movie.

"ENOUGH!! Enough! I am a GOD and I will NOT be bullied by a common human". 

...I nearly dead yes lol

Well that was the best part of the movie for me I nearly dead......other than that, :thinking: :thinking: I doh know, maybe I like mih story with good solid plot lines because after a while I got tired of these beings beating each other and ah keep waiting for the inevitable i.e. the avengers would prevail.  It was just soooooo predictable.

Now I watched it in IMAX 3D and the graphics and special effects are so alive that I enjoyed.  A god example of that is at the end when the creature (dem thing real friggin ugly) was in outer space lamenting how hard it is to beat humans I felt like I was really in outer space with the creature.  But again the thing predictable, at the end it was just so obvious that see that there will be an Avengers Part 2...... ::) ::) 

If so, I'll pass......
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #850 on: May 17, 2012, 05:09:59 AM »
Alright, so I deliberately didn't read any of the comments on the before I went to see it.  I now realise that since I wasn't no big comic geek growing up dais why I was kinda "bleh" watching the movie.  My superheroes growing up were Spiderman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (and Robin anybody remember dem ole episodes from the 60's??).......hhhhhmmm who else.......when X-men came along ah was big into that too.....so I eh really no fan of that group in the Avengers and doh know dey background.....perhaps dais why the really only impressive thing for me was the IMAX experience.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #851 on: May 17, 2012, 11:04:03 AM »
I like Downey, Jr. too and love his interpretation of Sherlock Holmes.  My gripe with him is that he and Favreau seem to believe he must play Tony Stark the same exact way, and for me it eh really working.  It was arrite in the first Iron Man, but kinda overbearing by the time the second one reach.

This was the biggest of the problems that I had with the Avengers. One of the things that make it a good but not great great experience for me was constantly having to remind myself that this was supposed to be Iron-Man.

RDJ portrayal of Iron-Man is not the Iron-Man in the books. There were hints of this Downey-ness in the first movie, specifically the final scene with the “I am Iron-Man” reveal. That was a real sour note but overall the movie was good.

The second was all about that obnoxious, lovable  rogue BS, from the cheerleaders, to the Senate committee hearing, to the snarky one-upmanship with Justin Hammer.

This movie turned out to be more of the same. Whereas in the books Iron-man was actually a very straight character, the group organizer, rule-setter and planner for the Avengers, here they had him as this anti-authority, too cool for school, wise-cracking, arrogant hipster. I had to pull back  and just enjoy the visuals, the action and the humour and ignore plot and characterization.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #852 on: May 17, 2012, 11:12:16 AM »
Alright, so I deliberately didn't read any of the comments on the before I went to see it.  I now realise that since I wasn't no big comic geek growing up dais why I was kinda "bleh" watching the movie.  My superheroes growing up were Spiderman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (and Robin anybody remember dem ole episodes from the 60's??).......

The best superhero movie of all time for me is still Superman The Movie and I was not a big Superman fan growing up. They did so many things right in that movie casting, characters, score, theme. They didn't change the costume too much or feel bad about putting him in high boots, tights and jockey-shorts, and cape like they do with so many other movies. They also went with the idea of him hiding his secret identity with a pair of glasses without questioning its realism or practicality.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #853 on: May 17, 2012, 01:59:03 PM »
Alright, so I deliberately didn't read any of the comments on the before I went to see it.  I now realise that since I wasn't no big comic geek growing up dais why I was kinda "bleh" watching the movie.  My superheroes growing up were Spiderman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Batman (and Robin anybody remember dem ole episodes from the 60's??).......

The best superhero movie of all time for me is still Superman The Movie and I was not a big Superman fan growing up. They did so many things right in that movie casting, characters, score, theme. They didn't change the costume too much or feel bad about putting him in high boots, tights and jockey-shorts, and cape like they do with so many other movies. They also went with the idea of him hiding his secret identity with a pair of glasses without questioning its realism or practicality.

Right there with yuh. That movie kinda spoiled a lot of the superhero movies to follow, becz they were so on the nail with it.
I had to realize that not every movie and character could be so close.

I also like how they did the Clark Kent and superman look with just some glasses and a geek hairstyle and made it passable.

Another hero movie that was well done but apparently bombed somewhat was the Phantom in 1996. Phantom was the first thing I used to read when I picked up a Guardian, followed by Mandrake and Sports. That was my routine for years every morning  before I went to school.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: May 17, 2012, 05:54:09 PM »
This was the biggest of the problems that I had with the Avengers. One of the things that make it a good but not great great experience for me was constantly having to remind myself that this was supposed to be Iron-Man.

RDJ portrayal of Iron-Man is not the Iron-Man in the books. There were hints of this Downey-ness in the first movie, specifically the final scene with the “I am Iron-Man” reveal. That was a real sour note but overall the movie was good.

The second was all about that obnoxious, lovable  rogue BS, from the cheerleaders, to the Senate committee hearing, to the snarky one-upmanship with Justin Hammer.

This movie turned out to be more of the same. Whereas in the books Iron-man was actually a very straight character, the group organizer, rule-setter and planner for the Avengers, here they had him as this anti-authority, too cool for school, wise-cracking, arrogant hipster. I had to pull back  and just enjoy the visuals, the action and the humour and ignore plot and characterization.

Yeah agree with everything but especially the bolded.  As I told a friend elsewhere, this Iron Man is Pierce Brosnan's Bond... I prefer Daniel Craig.  Less wise-cracking, more edgy intellect... who could also kick some righteous ass when necessary.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: May 17, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »

nah nah nah JDB, Wang Yu take that honour bro. Dat man flying and beating whole army, not even cryptonite could stop he  ;D
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: May 18, 2012, 11:44:09 PM »
Doh go and see "Battleshit" unless yuh vex with yuh money.

Take een Dark Shadows juss fuh spite... since ah waste mih money on Battletata.  Dark Shadows was good kicks... I eh fall out laughing, but ah good laugh.  My man tell Angelique "goest thou to hell... and swiftly please"  :rotfl: :rotfl: 

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: May 19, 2012, 08:26:52 PM »

Take een Dark Shadows juss fuh spite... since ah waste mih money on Battletata.  Dark Shadows was good kicks... I eh fall out laughing, but ah good laugh.  My man tell Angelique "goest thou to hell... and swiftly please"  :rotfl: :rotfl: 

take een dat today avengers was sold out :( it was damn good johnny Depp boy :thumbsup: .............but is jus me or yuh does see subtle shades ah Jack Sparrow in he post POC work ??? .......not dat I mind ;D
I pity the fool....

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: May 19, 2012, 08:39:21 PM »

take een dat today avengers was sold out :( it was damn good johnny Depp boy :thumbsup: .............but is jus me or yuh does see subtle shades ah Jack Sparrow in he post POC work ??? .......not dat I mind ;D

I think that's only b/c Barnabas Collins have a bit of fop in him dis rounds.  I think is only you though because he was nothing like Jack Sparrow in:

Finding Neverland
The Libertine
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Alice in Wonderland
...or The Tourist

--------------------------------------------

Check out Think Like A Man and The Dictator.... both ah dem is shit, especially The Dictator.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: May 19, 2012, 09:59:18 PM »
ah say subtle shades........even rango someting wit d voice acting

I think that's only b/c Barnabas Collins have a bit of fop in him dis rounds.  I think is only you though because he was nothing like Jack Sparrow in:

Finding Neverland
The Libertine
haven't seen these

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Alice in Wonderland
dese I find so a bit more d antics dan anyting else

...or The Tourist didn't see plus given the sparrow persona and d mood ah tourist()AFAIK dat wont ah fit obiviously

I pity the fool....

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: May 19, 2012, 10:41:24 PM »
 Just finished watch Avengers. The thing that strike me was the absence of dialogue. Ah mean, the lines were delivered as a sequence of monologues. The other thing was the bs technology. Well ah should have known better.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: May 19, 2012, 11:41:05 PM »
Finding Neverland
The Libertine
haven't seen these

Finding Neverland is his best ever role fuh me... doh sleep on it.  Great movie!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: May 20, 2012, 12:10:17 AM »
Finding Neverland
The Libertine
haven't seen these

Finding Neverland is his best ever role fuh me... doh sleep on it.  Great movie!

will check it out thanks :beermug:
I pity the fool....

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: May 24, 2012, 08:29:39 AM »

Bakes it was really so bad boy  :rotfl:

http://digg.com/newsbar/topnews/paralyzed_woman_regains_use_of_her_legs_walks_out_of_battleship

Paralyzed woman walks out during a screening of Battleship.

A 54-year-old Phoenix woman, who has been paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair for the last 25 years, suddenly regained the use of her legs and walked out of Universal’s boxoffice flop "Battleship."

Upon hearing the news of Richards' miraculous recovery, faith healer Benny Hinn, well-known for his "Miracle Crusades" throughout the world, immediately announced he was abandoning prayer in favor of screening "Battleship" for his millions of disciples who can no longer walk.

After a paralyzed woman regained the use of her legs and walked out of "Battleship," infirmed disciples of evangelist Benny Hinn watch the movie during a "Miracle Crusade" in Kansas City, hoping for the same results.

Marlene Richards, who was paralyzed after a car crash 25 years ago, went to see director Peter Berg’s $200 million naval recruitment film, also known as "Battleship," after confusing it with what she thought was the latest installment of Michael Bay’s "Transformers" franchise.

"I kept waiting for Shia LeBeouf and Bumblebee, but the only thing I saw was the guy from 'John Carter,' " Richards told Hollywood & Swine. "That's when I knew something was wrong."

Richards tried to leave the theater, but her motorized wheelchair malfunctioned, leaving her stranded and forced to watch singer-turned-actress Rihanna attempt to act. That’s when she felt sensation in her legs for first time in over two decades. Moments later, she stood and walked out of the theater.

"It truly was a miracle," Richards said. "Otherwise I would've had to sit through another hour of that movie."
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 08:32:21 AM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: May 24, 2012, 10:18:51 AM »
I well saying is Greg Gadson who inspire she tuh walk again... lol

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: May 24, 2012, 11:02:53 AM »

lol, thanks for the advice.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: May 24, 2012, 01:46:15 PM »
Also saw The Dictator... only because it was right next to the theater showing Think Like a Man... which I had a free ticket to.  Dictator was predictably shitty... hard to keep making ambush movies like Borat and Bruno so SBC try he hand ah a full-fledge movie.  I doh think they'll be repeating that debacle again any time soon.  I laugh once... maybe twice.

Think Like a Man was only marginally better... and largely due to that exquisite dollop of eye candy that is Meagan Good.... sweet Mary!  Steve Harvey pimp all dem black 'oman and dem into buying he book, next think yuh know movie geh make outta it.  Play on playa.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 01:48:38 PM by Bakes »

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: May 27, 2012, 11:19:00 PM »
Just watched Battleship... I personally liked it. Rihanna was the only thing I was disappointed in. She spoiled it for me. Who jumps into the ocean with their hat on and come up with it still on? She does lol. Being in the navy and seeing a second class PO talking to her chief and officers the way she did, pissed me off.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: May 28, 2012, 12:08:59 PM »
MIB 3 - OK movie. Mediocre 1/2 half. The dialog and banter between J and K was lacking but had promise but got a lot better in the last 1/2. A teary-eye scene towards the end and nice wrap-up.  Just ignore the time travel paradoxes etc.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #869 on: May 29, 2012, 07:31:30 AM »
MIB 3 - OK movie. Mediocre 1/2 half. The dialog and banter between J and K was lacking but had promise but got a lot better in the last 1/2. A teary-eye scene towards the end and nice wrap-up.  Just ignore the time travel paradoxes etc.

The black woman with the big tot tots make it for me.
Allyuh know she married to actor Allan Thicke's son?

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>