April 26, 2024, 07:21:56 PM

Author Topic: Why do we HATE The Corneals ???  (Read 10217 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why do we HATE The Corneals ???
« on: March 07, 2008, 09:21:49 AM »
Is long time now ah want to write this topic....

and i not afraid of tryng to find out why 99% of this forum turns into "Anti-christ" anytime the name "Corneal" is mentioned...

The thing is...nobody says why the "hate"....so i challenge you each to a man/woman to state your reason...

I will say mine now......I  met Alvin and Anton years ago....and had many football discussions with them....not only coaching...football...stories , past players etc etc....

what i see is a family of people who live their lives for football.... ( like most of us in a sense....thats why we always here ent ??)...Anton is also a top class Pigeon racer....

both are past players and coaches of the country...

it cant be because of the lack of sucess of Alvin as national coach ...thats the Hate reason ??...serious?? .....did he drop you from a club or national team ???
Whats the hate for Anton ??...because he is the second man to Qualify TnT to a youth world cup ??
because he working to become a better coach and hopefully serve the country in the future ???

so ah know now i will now be known as "Ah Corneal Man"...like "Ah Latas Man"....
but at least i saying my part....now leh meh hear allyuh...

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:25:16 AM by Tallman »
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we HATE The Corneals ???
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 09:40:51 AM »
see wha ah mean ??....

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 09:51:54 AM »
I cyar stand d fadder as a commentator and tactition. Knowing he has some influence on our football is upsetting to me. The way he raved about our team's performance in the goal cup where we earned a single point was testament of his tacit acceptance of the Warner policy of destruction. What did he call it, "Don't change a winning team'- refering to the Warner/Camps dynasty. Steups.

To be honest I doh have a problem with Anton.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 09:55:14 AM »
cool...thanks Jah Gol

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:56:33 AM »
I think people hate them because they have had some success but also used that success to their advantage.

I think given his name Anton was able to get a coaching work in TnT that many people felt others was more qualified to do.

Also Alvin always talking about football but when he was the coach the team did not do well.

They also get scholarships for many of their own players but when other teams were trying to do the same Alvin Corneal was the first one to say they not eligible because they are "professional"footballers when $1500 form a PFL team in 1993 could hardle classify you as a professional.

Alvin now is a FIFA Technical Director and I am glad Jack was able to get that work for him. But some will hate because why not help others to get an opportunity.

In the end some will hate and some will praise.

Successful people will always have critics that is part of life.

The major issue that most people have is that they do not see the success build on merit rather build on a friend thing.

That said both corneals are probably the most experienced in terms of main stream FIFA coaching that we have on the island even if their results on the field dont always reflect it.

IF anton last name was not corneal he probably would not have that work.

There are many coaches who have an A licence who coach in University in america and run camps etc that are not even considered for a national role.

And there are many coaches in TnT work work day in and day out with players and clubs and schools etc and do not get a national position.

So in the end people just vex that he get the position when they did not.
But that could be said for any position.

some will win and some will lose.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2008, 09:59:40 AM »
i think maybe it nepotisim (sic) and a percieved fight down by the Corneals of players who are not their favorites (Birchall)
and of course if yuh in good with Jack, birds of a feather....

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2008, 10:02:56 AM »
I believe most people dislike the the fadder because he involved in the football so long and never stand up to JW. He's just a puppet and people hate big men who stand for nothing. I think this feeling just spilled over to his son, because Anton just stroll in to a National coaching osition jus so.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 10:04:52 AM »
Playing wise
The facts Alvin was a boss Player.
Anton was a fringe national player with or without Gally being bad mind towards him even if it is true.

Coaching Wise

I know limited things about Alvin coaching winning teams etc but I know he is a FIFA director of coaching which is a big deal (But we know jack help him get that work)

Anton did a great Job to get the u17 team to the world cup but beyound that not much else at local or US leavel that I know about.

It is not like Alcons winning everything in football or Anton coaching jabloteh or something.

Look at WASA for example the coach of that side is always winning super league can we get him a national coaching work? or maybe he dont want it, maybe he dont even have a coaching badge does it matter?

That is the point.

How did they get to that point?
based on what merit?

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2008, 10:41:39 AM »
I don't hate anyone...besides Arsenal of course ;D.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2008, 11:05:00 AM »
I think hate is a strong word. The general dislike for the Corneals stem from the fact that Alvin as a knowledgeable, experienced, influential person in the footballing fraternity, but he used this position more to put forward himself (and Anton) rather than to help the country.

He fight down every coach we had (because he considered himself better, it seemed) whether they were doing good or bad. Yet, he himself never did any better and in most cases he did worse, thus over the years his opinions continued to lose validity, whether or not some of them are/were sound.

Anton is disliked because he falls under his daddy Alvin's influence, which has yet proven to be any good for the country.

Plus, of all the people who pass thru Alcons coachign school...any of them ever come out and big up the Corneals like how people is big up Bertille?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2008, 11:25:33 AM »
They not "grassroots" enough- automatic recipe for fight down in T&T....
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2008, 12:04:17 PM »
anton fight down julius. cyar give de details but that did it for me
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2008, 12:11:14 PM »
My personal beef is with Alvin.  In the spring of 1991 when a brother was trying to get a scholarship, my college coach ask Alvin about me and he said he didn't know who I was.  Cool.  I didn't play for him.   However, what he didn't say was that I led college league in scoring in 1990 and he commentated at least 5 or 6 of our games with me scoring in many of them.

That is my beef.  Me eh say yuh go tell the man good things but nothing?  Yuh didn't even know or hear bout me?

That is b..sh..
Arimian to meh heart

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2008, 01:00:48 PM »
Everyone on here have a storey they can tell or some experience they have had with the Corneals including myself,but i can tell you i have a lot of respect for them and maintain a friendship,i think HATE is a bit strong for people to hold against these guys for the hard work and dedication they have given to our country,i can understand them doing what ever they do in Football for personal gains,once people have to pay for anything home they does have problems,who are the Corneals friends?how did they become friends?they were the first to offer scholarships on a big scale and people picked up after,what did they gain from it?if we look at the quality of players they got scholarships for,it was not just any and any body,you had to have some brain with the ability else the schools not taking you,it's easy for people to bash the Corneals because like JW they around T&T Football a long time,we know their history,they only have to say or do something and people gone off,imagine that guy took our national Youth team to the WC and people say is Wim,he never got any credit for anything,the reason i'm saying these things is because i'm a Coach and i coached at all levels just like Anton and i know how it feels,this should tell us why the Coaneals are the way they are,people can do and say what ever they want but pay me,remember both of them left jobs in the US to come back home.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »
WE? ::)
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

giggsy11

« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2008, 02:49:20 PM »
Don't hate the man (Alvin) but dislike. He dropped my brother from the national team, he gets jobs based on his name and he is one of the worse commentator ever to grace a mike. Oh yeah he does try to hard.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2008, 03:26:18 PM »
I dont know much about Anton Corneal but Alvin was a hero fuh me on the left wing.The man had everything and had he been playing football to day he would have been with the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 07:00:51 PM by palos »

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2008, 04:03:37 PM »
I dont know much about Anton Corneal but Alvin was a hero fuh me on the left wing.The man had everything and had he been playing football to day he would have been with the likes of Arsenal or Chelsea.

Thank you for modifying...next time know better...

Big Up!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 11:43:50 PM by DeSoWa »
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2008, 04:14:52 PM »
yes...thanks...FRICO...please modify your post

Offline Trininho

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2008, 04:48:32 PM »
I don't know enough of Anton as a player, but as a coach, let the record speak for itself...he took our young warriors to the U-17 WC in Seoul.

As for Alvin, prior to early 2006, I had nothing but respect for a man who played football and cricket for T&T.  The man has scored goals and centuries for T&T, and I don't think this will ever be emulated by any other player, for any other country.  His sporting pedigree cannot be denied and on the field he represented us as a true patriot.

What cast for me a jaundiced light upon Alvin, was the fact that he openly expressed his discontent at Mr. Beenhakker's selection after our WC2006 qualification.  Every man is entitled to his opinion, but at a time when we needed unity, this seemed to be an act of sabotage.  Still though, I maintain a positive opinion of him and generally hold him in high regard.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »
The man has scored goals and centuries for T&T, and I don't think this will ever be emulated by any other player, for any other country.

It have other fellas who represented T&T in football and played cricket for de West Indies (not just T&T). Corneal was just de last man to do it, he was not de first. As a matter of fact, Clifford Roach not only scored goals for T&T, but scored the first ever century and double century in the history of West Indies cricket. Viv Richards played football (World Cup Qualifiers) for Antigua as well as test cricket.

Here is a list of names of people who represented T&T at football and cricket:
Ellis "Puss" Achong (T&T and the West Indies)
Alvin Corneal (T&T)
Prior "Big Sam" Jones (T&T and the West Indies)
Arthur Maynard (T&T)
Clifford Roach (T&T and the West Indies)
Willie Rodriguez (T&T and the West Indies)
Jeffrey "Night Singer" Stollmeyer (T&T and the West Indies)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 05:41:12 PM by Tallman »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2008, 08:01:42 PM »
Alvin 1st wuk when he was appointed coach after dey get rid ah Gally was 2 pick and play Anton. He was not even on d radar b4 dat. His commentary is d absolute wuss. He feel he is a real guru but all he does do is prop up JW and dem all ready discussed by Jah is his post.

D classic 4 me a sports commentator told me he invited Anton 4 an interview and Alvin turn up while Anton stay off set. Dat tells me that he eh he own man so poor Me Mum
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2008, 08:35:31 PM »
Tallman,
               I think Alexander from JA played both football and cricket for the WI.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2008, 08:48:52 PM »
Tallman,
               I think Alexander from JA played both football and cricket for the WI.
Who, Gerry Alexander?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2008, 09:05:43 PM »
All Point people hate the Corneals >:(
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2008, 09:08:04 PM »
I think hate is a strong word. The general dislike for the Corneals stem from the fact that Alvin as a knowledgeable, experienced, influential person in the footballing fraternity, but he used this position more to put forward himself (and Anton) rather than to help the country.

He fight down every coach we had (because he considered himself better, it seemed) whether they were doing good or bad. Yet, he himself never did any better and in most cases he did worse, thus over the years his opinions continued to lose validity, whether or not some of them are/were sound.

Anton is disliked because he falls under his daddy Alvin's influence, which has yet proven to be any good for the country.

Plus, of all the people who pass thru Alcons coachign school...any of them ever come out and big up the Corneals like how people is big up Bertille?
I agree with most of this post - i doh like hypocrites...if yuh syain' other coaches doing sh!t cuz x,y,z...doh turna  blind eye to the same sh!t when yuh parder or  boy holdin the fort.
Anton though...I think I go be able to say  i like Anton by the end of the year.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »
Big Mag I don't hate Alvin, when his name come up I does just ignore it and move on in disgust more than anything else.

I really have nothing against Anton but we will always have doubts about whether he deserve his chances or whether he get because he is ALvin son. That will irk some people.

But Alvin for all his coaching and player development work not helping the football. His agenda comes first, TnT football second. Back in the nineties the routine was: appoint Alvin as coach, fire him, have him criticize the current coach, fire that man and give Alvin back de wuk. Repeat.

Is not three times Alvin was head coach and he do nothing? If Wim and Bertie could get mash up as former head coaching failures why not Alvin.

The worse for me is how Alvin sell out to Jack though. People forget that Alvin used to be Jack's critic and now he is a yes man extraordinaire. For what? so yuh name could be on a setta FIFA technical panel and yuh could hug up Havelange, Blatter and Pele? so yuh could push yuh son career?

THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2008, 10:42:17 PM »

BM I know both of them personally (I hope you not asking this question because of the joke I recently made)

Anyhow I seem to remember that the first time Alvin coach the national team was in the late 70's and he basically picked a colleges team to represent TT in a CFU tournament in Puerto Rico.
I think TT end up 2nd in that tournament.
I say to mihself this is a brave man.
After that stint he sort of just fell off the radar for me and then I worked with him and his son for awhile.
I have never found them to arrogant or selfish but like all sportsmen and most people in careers of any sort they think that their opinion is if not the right opinion but the most sensible.
As far as the family's contribution to football it has been large and it still is .
For that I agree with you BM .
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2008, 11:23:55 PM »
Quite honestly I've been staying away from contributing because I don't really know enough about either one to offer anything substantive...I know Alvin mainly as a commentator, not as the coach or sportsman many know him as.  I certainly don't know either of them personally.

What I do notice though is that many disparage them because dat is what town say tuh do.  Is like dat joke Cedric The Entertainer tells in the Original Kings of Comedy about black people...everybody hanging around until one man decide tuh run and de whole crowd run with him.  Half ah mile later everybody wondering what happen and why de next man run tuh begin with.

People doh like Jack and anything remotely related tuh Jack becomes verboten...whether he wrong or right...is de same tired 'jackula' or 'tie tongue tief' comments...yadda yadda yadda.  Same becomes true of those associated with Jack.  I hear man say that Alvin sell out tuh get wuk with Jack/FIFA.  Did Lincoln Phillips sell out too?  Maybe he and Alvin sell out...maybe they didn't, but too often men are too quick to think in terms of absolutes when it comes to the TTFF and the people affiliated with it.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008, 11:41:00 PM »
They not good enough but always get the job ,or be in a position to influence team selection .Anton was ok with me till he pick Mc omeh to be his assistant ,he lost me rite they ,is then I say like he have to ride out from  the head coach job too .
Look with Mocomie on one side ah Anton ,we ein t go see no Fenwick players and Alvin on the other side no Me mum or Julius and giggsy brother.Daiz good enough to inspire enough hate in me oui ,what they have to do kill priest ?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 12:02:04 AM by Quagmire »

1]; } ?>