April 19, 2024, 09:31:37 AM

Author Topic: Why do we HATE The Corneals ???  (Read 10165 times)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we HATE The Corneals ???
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2008, 06:11:09 PM »

Fishs, I apologize if my contribution to this thread has degenerated into something that has offended you.
You ent have nutten to apologize for in my book...I doh see the "character assassination" that Fishs talking about.  A solid 80-90% of what has been contributed is information that is either already in the public domain or information that is readily available.  The other contributions have been personal anecdotes.  If their public record casts aspersions on their characters then so be it.  If their private dealings with individuals on here casts aspersions on their characters then so be it. 

How much 'character assassination' Warner, Camps, Manning et al have been subjected to on here? Fishs ah really eh understand whey yuh coming from on this one at all dred.

For real.

Ah big man ask ah question and big men choose to respond to him. Nobody didn't call the man a "fowl f*****" or anything of the sort, like what we could see going on between men on the forum...

Take it easy fishs. Imagine that for once a thread actually staying on topic...If you want people to compliment the Corneal's all you need to do is start a thread with that in the title. If you have a problem with the opinions expressed therein you might want to pm the thread creator to delete it....

my 0.02c
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2008, 06:19:42 PM »
leh we see some action here now
change the title to say
"Why do we HATE Wim ???
the gloves are off.........

:devil: :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2008, 07:48:09 PM »
leh we see some action here now
change the title to say
"Why do we HATE Wim ???
the gloves are off.........

:devil: :devil:

Oh Lord  ::)
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2008, 10:43:39 PM »

Fishs, I apologize if my contribution to this thread has degenerated into something that has offended you.
You ent have nutten to apologize for in my book...I doh see the "character assassination" that Fishs talking about.  A solid 80-90% of what has been contributed is information that is either already in the public domain or information that is readily available.  The other contributions have been personal anecdotes.  If their public record casts aspersions on their characters then so be it.  If their private dealings with individuals on here casts aspersions on their characters then so be it. 

How much 'character assassination' Warner, Camps, Manning et al have been subjected to on here? Fishs ah really eh understand whey yuh coming from on this one at all dred.

Maybe I'm tainted by the fact that I know them personally and worked with Alvin and Anton when they were both at different periods attached to the Ministry of Sport.
You hate somebody because he did not pick this or that one , he is not a good commentator, he said this to somebody who told me about it etc etc.
Look at the contribution that the Older Corneal has made and the younger also.
Alright let me put it another way if God forbids Mr. Corneal leaves us tomorrow, how will history judge him ?
As somebody that did hurt to football in Trinidad ?
Or as a good father, a decent man, a hard worker and specifically to sport in Trinidad , a football hall of famer, a man that gave multitudes of fans sporting entertainment, a man that has devoted his entire life to the sport .

I think that his living legacy deserves more than the nonsense of this thread.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2008, 11:07:56 PM »

Maybe I'm tainted by the fact that I know them personally and worked with Alvin and Anton when they were both at different periods attached to the Ministry of Sport.
You hate somebody because he did not pick this or that one , he is not a good commentator, he said this to somebody who told me about it etc etc.
Alright let me put it another way if God forbids Mr. Corneal leaves us tomorrow, how will history judge him ?
Or as a good father, a decent man, a hard worker and specifically to sport in Trinidad , a football hall of famer, a man that gave multitudes of fans sporting entertainment, a man that has devoted his entire life to the sport .

Nah man, de thread eh nonsense.  If you note the tenor of my posts I'm neutral and largely observant.  If you note the tenor of the Big Magician's posts, he's largely pro-Corneal(s).  So in a similar vein, it would probably help create a more rounded picture if you add you personal perspective which may serve to cast them in a better light.

If at the end of the day we end up with more negatives than positives...then say what, that's life.  If the Corneals have rubbed people wrong that's on them and affects only their dealings with those individuals, shouldn't affect how you feel about the Corneals or otherwise taint your perspective...that should be all that really matters to you.  No?

:beermug:

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2008, 11:39:33 PM »

Nah man, de thread eh nonsense.  If you note the tenor of my posts I'm neutral and largely observant.  If you note the tenor of the Big Magician's posts, he's largely pro-Corneal(s).  So in a similar vein, it would probably help create a more rounded picture if you add you personal perspective which may serve to cast them in a better light.

If at the end of the day we end up with more negatives than positives...then say what, that's life.  If the Corneals have rubbed people wrong that's on them and affects only their dealings with those individuals, shouldn't affect how you feel about the Corneals or otherwise taint your perspective...that should be all that really matters to you.  No?

:beermug:

I have a code that only allows me to view people who represent TT in a particular way.
I respect and admire sportsmen who are picked to represent TT because of what it takes to get there .
I would watch them perform for TT against other teams and either excel, be average or poor.
Now some people would describe the poor performers as sh*t hounds or waste of time etc. Me? I consider the fact that they would have put in the effort to acheive national status and for that I would never redicule them regardless of performance (and if you check my history I have never done that).
I would say for instance that a team collectively is sh*tty.
And I will come down hard on any foreigner that comes here and performs badly because for him its a job ( WC i.e Wim).
But hatemongering of a national sporting hero on a public forum is unpatriotic and says a lot about us as a people.
And I know BM is complimentary of the Corneals , in fact check his history on the forum and you will find that he hardly if ever denigrates any local national player or ex-player.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2008, 12:46:06 AM »
I have a code that only allows me to view people who represent TT in a particular way.
I respect and admire sportsmen who are picked to represent TT because of what it takes to get there .
I would watch them perform for TT against other teams and either excel, be average or poor.
Now some people would describe the poor performers as sh*t hounds or waste of time etc. Me? I consider the fact that they would have put in the effort to acheive national status and for that I would never redicule them regardless of performance (and if you check my history I have never done that).
I would say for instance that a team collectively is sh*tty.
And I will come down hard on any foreigner that comes here and performs badly because for him its a job ( WC i.e Wim).
But hatemongering of a national sporting hero on a public forum is unpatriotic and says a lot about us as a people.
And I know BM is complimentary of the Corneals , in fact check his history on the forum and you will find that he hardly if ever denigrates any local national player or ex-player.

I hear you...and generally we'd be in agreement, not on this one though.  And let me preface, because of late I'm realizing how sensitive some are regarding their opinions...I ent fighting yuh down b/c of yuh opinion, just voicing disagreement.  I tend to be more critical than most of our athletes, but I also try to be fair to them.  I have never walked in their shoes and never will and I have a huge amount of respect for what an achievement it is to represent one's country at the highest levels...it takes a lot of dedication and at times much sacrifice.  So for that reason I never engage in any 'fight down' or tearing down of ah man just because he happens to be a public figure wearing our colors.

That said, with the Corneals...Alvin at least since there is a larger public record there, I don't believe much of this has to do with his service to our fair isles...but rather the criticism seems a direct consequence of his personal dealings with many.  Case in point...de fella (too lazy to go back and check) who mentioned that he led the SSFL in scoring one year and yet when a US college coach came calling Corneal disavowed any knowledge of him.  Is it possible that Alvin never heard of de yute...sure.  Is it probable...not likely.  So...I wasn't dey resident in he mind to know what was going on, but here from my perch behind mih computer screen it smells an awful lot like some small-minded business.  Why? and for what reason?  Very reminiscent of the Peltier incident involving Wim and McComie.  Why deny a young man an opportunity where it would (seemingly) cost you nothing to say a kind contributory word?

So...dispensing with the long-talk, the simple route would be to dismiss all of this as badmind mauvais langue business, but a more nuanced reading would reveal that many of these are real and personal gripes that these men apparently brought on themselves.  As you make your bed, so shall you lay.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 12:53:21 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2008, 06:38:43 AM »
Case in point...de fella (too lazy to go back and check) who mentioned that he led the SSFL in scoring one year and yet when a US college coach came calling Corneal disavowed any knowledge of him.  Is it possible that Alvin never heard of de yute...sure.  Is it probable...not likely. 

I know the fella name and it is IMPOSSIBLE that Alvin could say that he never heard of him.

But to address Fishs...

First of all no one is “hatemongering” Big Mag used the word but very few of the posters have echoed the sentiment. It has been much more of a “why I dislike Alvin” thread.

I would say that the negative posters on the thread have been very careful to quote specific instances and activities and not just name call or bad talk the man. That is a lot more respect than other characters get on here, both local and foreign.

Also nothing that you have said about Alvin is being discounted. The fact that he was one of our best ever players, a former coach, develop plenty footballers and represent abroad, is all known and taken into account when people give their opinions. People know all that but have less tolerance for the “bad” things about Corneal because they do not have a personal relationship to consider.

You are in a tough position. You have a personal relationship with someone who is being discussed on a public forum. You have a personal perspective and we thank you for it but you are not the only one to deal with that on this board.

I remember giving a story I heard about Jack Warner where he was visiting a personal friend and heard a story about a sick child, unrelated to anyone that he knew, who needed an operation. He instantly wrote out a $10,000 cheque. This must have been 10 years ago and it is a nice story that might say that the man is not all bad. Certainly to the young lady he is a saviour.

But would I expect that to colour the opinion on the board? Absolutelynot. Why should that personal interaction mean more to people, who have no personal stake in it, than the general mismanagement of our football?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2008, 08:44:54 AM »
correck...i should have used "Dislike"
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trevor

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 11, 2008, 10:51:53 AM »
Big Magician,

This is a very intriguing topic you raised.  In my opinion, this is one of the best threads I have seen in a longtime – it is thought provoking and there are some solid pro-and-con arguments.  For the many who say you dislike Alvin Corneal, I UNDERSTAND.  Why does the name, “Corneal” trigger such strong emotions? 

As many may know, I played under Alvin and played with him.  Even on Alvin’s teams, deep feelings were expressed about him, but somehow people were still magnetized to him.  You may love him or you may dislike him, but you cannot deny him.  It is amazing how much of the public cannot stand him, but at the same time, he has remained in the T&T sporting forefront for over 40 years. 

Regarding Anton, I believe he has not been fairly judged because of his father.  Yes, his dad pushed him.  Which father would not push his son, especially when he has talent?  Furthermore, he has obtained his qualifications.  People keep talking about Anton like he is a little boy; he is a big man - well in his 40s.  I have known him a longtime, I must say he is a wonderful person.  I have seen him conduct sessions and I have had numerous discussions with him on the game, and I have been quite impressed.  He also has a great temperament as a coach.

Let me return to Alvin.  I will describe him as a “survivor,” but absolutely not a “puppet.”  I have always been amazed by his survival skills.  If you really want to get a reality check about your soccer ability, ask Alvin, but if you wish to get a nice answer about it, go and ask Paula Abdul.  The man is not easy, but I tell you, he has had such a large impact on the T&T football game and careers of others.  I will be the first to say if it were not for Alvin Corneal and Lincoln Phillips, I would not be the person I am today.   

I will end with two questions: (1) Who are the qualified  T&T football coaches? (2) Which T&T nationals do you respect and trust to put in leadership sporting positions?

Love to all,

Trevor Leiba

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 11, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »
Case in point...de fella (too lazy to go back and check) who mentioned that he led the SSFL in scoring one year and yet when a US college coach came calling Corneal disavowed any knowledge of him.  Is it possible that Alvin never heard of de yute...sure.  Is it probable...not likely. 
I know the fella name and it is IMPOSSIBLE that Alvin could say that he never heard of him.
Just suppose that he did in fact forget the player's name for that moment.
then I find it VERY UNPROFESSIONAL for him to just disregard the question and NOT say that he would at the least check into the persons playing Stats.

the Problems that got in Wim's way are STILL present today man....granted that the man was a hot head and GC would have done a better job....SO WHAT...there are those right here on this Forum who have HOTTER HEADS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2008, 03:11:35 AM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2008, 11:22:42 AM »
I wonder how nobody answer my question yet:

Has Anton Corneal ever coached a senior team at the club level? Anyone have an answer? BM?

If so, how successful was he?

This is our Assistant Head Coach of the Senior Team.  This is a simple question, right?

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2008, 01:46:10 PM »
Thanks for the post Trevor...

Jahyouth...to my knowledge..No..Anton did not coach no senior team at club level...unless you count Alcons in the East zone...

He is part of the TTFF Techincal team...

So he did U-20 to the Concacaf final round....and U-17 to the World Cup
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2008, 02:24:09 PM »
Thanks for the post Trevor...

Jahyouth...to my knowledge..No..Anton did not coach no senior team at club level...unless you count Alcons in the East zone...

He is part of the TTFF Techincal team...

So he did U-20 to the Concacaf final round....and U-17 to the World Cup

So the Assistant Head Coach of our Senior Team has had no significant senior team coaching experience at any level other than the "East Zone"?

But that is very strange?

How then is he a mainstay of the TTFF Technical Staff then? 

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 14, 2008, 04:56:04 PM »
most people (footballers) of my era dislike Alvin because he had and push his own agenda, if you were not member alcons  went to st marys, qrc, fatima or any of those so call prestige schools it was pure fright down from alvin. In anton`s case he mostly got a bad rap because of his father he was a good player but hard his name not been corneal he may not have been given the amount of opportunities he has had, but to give jack he jacket Alvin was instrumental in getting for talented players a chance to get attend us colleges ..................................ah bet they hate David Nakid now that was their boy

1]; } ?>