April 28, 2024, 07:02:08 PM

Author Topic: ricky hatton v floyd maywheather  (Read 2967 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
ricky hatton v floyd maywheather
« on: July 29, 2007, 09:45:06 AM »
Hatton, Mayweather Jr. agree to fight 
Associated Press, Updated 23 hours ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   
blog     LIKE THIS STORY?

LONDON (AP) - Ricky Hatton and Floyd Mayweather Jr. look set to fight before the end of the year.

Hatton's father said Saturday that his son (43-0, 31 knockouts) has reportedly agreed in principle to fight the American, probably in Las Vegas in November or December.
"The date and venue is up in the air, but we agreed via our lawyers what the financial side of it is going to be," Ray Hatton said. "I can't honestly tell you a deal has been done until I see the signatures on all the documents.

"Both sides were happy with what we finalized verbally."

The BBC reported that an official announcement could be made as early as Monday.

Ray Hatton did not say what weight the pair would fight at, although Hatton will likely move up to meet Mayweather, who won the 154-pound WBC super welterweight title against Oscar De La Hoya in May.

Ricky Hatton said he wanted to take on five-weight champion Mayweather (38-0, 24 KOs) after winning the 140-pound IBO light welterweight title last month with a knockout victory over Jose Luis Castillo.

Mayweather responded by saying he wanted the bout. He had announced his retirement from the ring after beating De La Hoya, but backtracked from a definitive decision shortly after.                                                                                                                                                                                                       

advertisement
 STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: ricky hatton v floyd maywheather
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 09:46:34 AM »
this will be de fight of de decade,both undefeated with everything to lose.my money definitly on de irish lad.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 09:48:40 AM »
hatton is a killer - lethal body shots.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 09:54:31 AM »
this will be de fight of de decade, both undefeated with everything to lose.my money definitly on de irish lad.

ent the fight of the century was just the other day?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 09:58:57 AM »
this will be de fight of de decade, both undefeated with everything to lose.my money definitly on de irish lad.

ent the fight of the century was just the other day?
which one,ah does forget

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:50:12 PM »
Mayweather-Hatton fight set for Dec. 8 
Associated Press, Updated 6 hours ago   STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Welterweight champion Floyd Mayweather Jr. will defend his title against Ricky Hatton on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas.

The site of the fight has not been determined, Golden Boy Promotions said Wednesday. It's a matchup of two undefeated fighters, who are a combined 81-0.
"I am extremely excited to announce Golden Boy's involvement in another boxing extravaganza such as Mayweather vs. Hatton," said Oscar De La Hoya, president of Golden Boy Promotions. "We are proud to continue to provide fans with the best matchups and fights in boxing today."

Mayweather (38-0 with 24 knockouts) will be fighting for the first time since his victory over De La Hoya in May.

"I am the best fighter in boxing today and I'm prepared for any challenge my team puts in front of me," Mayweather said. "And with Ricky Hatton, it's already personal. He has talked and disrespected me so much in the past months that I can't wait to get him in the ring and show him he is not even on my level."

Hatton (43-0, 31 KOs), from Manchester, England, has fought once before at 147 pounds, winning the welterweight belt from Luis Collazo in 2006. He moved back to 140 pounds and captured his third world title. His most recent victory came in four rounds against Jose Luis Castillo in Las Vegas in June.

advertisement
 STORY TOOLS:                         

print   
send   

"It is a dream of every boxer to fight the best boxers in the world," Hatton said. "I respect Floyd Mayweather immensely for his boxing ability and it will be an honor to share the same ring with him.

"He is rightly regarded as the best pound-for-pound boxer in the world. However, I am confident and determined that I will be the first boxer to beat him in the ring and I am looking forward to this fight."

The fight will be shown on HBO pay-per-view.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 09:52:04 PM »
ah cyar refrain,this fight go be real,real good.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 11:09:03 PM »
this saturday get ready to rumble.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2007, 06:29:29 AM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/boxing/default.stm

Hatton vs Mayweather page on BBC

Hatton v Mayweather
Date: Sunday, 9 December
Starts from: 0100 GMT
Watch: Sky pay-per-view
Listen: BBC Radio 5 Live
Updates: BBC Sport website and mobile

Ricky Hatton had to be pulled apart from Floyd Mayweather as their media conference threatened to boil over.

"There's a time to laugh and joke and be my usual sarcastic self but the fight's two days away now and I've done my laughing and joking," said Hatton.

"When I leaned on him he said, 'Don't touch me'. I gave him a 'you're dead' gesture then I smiled. If he's annoyed at that, wait till the bell rings."

The pair fight for the WBC welterweight crown on Saturday night in Las Vegas.

Hatton and Mayweather front up
Hatton fans look forward to the fight

The physical confrontation came at the end of a stare-out between the two fighters that lasted two full minutes.

Mayweather and Hatton shoved each other back and forwards with their chests before being kept apart by handlers.

606: DEBATE
There can be no doubt that Wednesday was the day 'Undefeated' came to the boil

Ben Dirs - BBC Sport
The American swore several times at Hatton, who winked and ran his finger slowly across his throat.

Hatton said: "These kind of mind games aren't my thing, but he was pushing me."

Hatton is convinced he has managed to get under the skin of a fighter who clearly revels in his enormous self-confidence and seemed visibly perturbed by his rival's antics.

"I think Floyd preys on that confidence and that's why he did it. I think it'll hurt him more than me. I'll go away and forget about it now but I think he might be seething," he added.

Mayweather spent most of the news conference with his every move being cheered by a handful of followers who help massage the fighter's confidence each day.

And in his usual confident style he said: "He can't get under my skin. I'm not at all worried about that. We will see if it's an advantage. I'm not shaking.

"When I went over to the UK they threw bottles at me, rocks at my car, giving me the finger. And he says I'm disrespecting him?

"I've been there plenty of times. I know what it takes. Just another day for me, I've been here so many times.

"Come Saturday night you'll see a Floyd Mayweather that shows versatility, inside, outside, toe-to-toe," added Mayweather.

Come Saturday night you'll see a Floyd Mayweather that shows versatility, inside, outside, toe-to-toe.

Floyd Mayweather

"I've faced every style there is and I'm pretty sure I've faced the Hatton style before. But he's going to bring his A game and we're going to give the fans one hell of a fight.

"I'm in tremendous shape, I always come prepared because I don't overlook no guy."

Mayweather's uncle and trainer, Roger, believes Hatton will need more than just his fists to defeat his nephew.

"How do you beat a guy like Floyd Mayweather? He's got good hand speed, tremendous defence, so if Hatton tries to bum-rush him, he's going to get messed-up," he said.

"You can't do that. The best way to deal with my nephew is to use a stick, a fishing pole.

"But if you ain't got a fishing pole, and you come in there with your face, I ain't gonna tell you what's gonna happen. He's too crafty, he's too slick, he can do it all.

"You'll see on fight-night why they call him the best fighter in the world."

Come on Hatton... :beermug:

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2007, 11:37:07 PM »
well Mayweather has shown why he is number one once again...feel sorry for Hatton cuz he seemed like a fella anyone cud lime with..that being said, he got knocked the F*&%k out!!! :devil:

Back in Trini...

Offline STEUPS!!

• Hero Warrior
  • a.k.a warrior queen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 07:35:00 AM »
good fight. too much holdin from hatton tho. he was only tryin to get mayweather on d ropes. but once floyd get him in d middle of d ring, he was dealing wid hatton case.

d crowd had place soundin like a epl or a cricket match dread. real english support

hard luck hatton.

bless!!
Doh f**k wit MY warriors!!!

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 01:17:48 PM »
It's called the 'Check Hook'

I didn't really like Mayweather's personality , but that is nothing new in boxing. I thought the Hatton fans were rude to boo the US anthem.

Good Fight and the better man won.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2008, 11:13:20 PM »
Mayweather to appear in next WrestleManiaAssociated Press
Updated: February 25, 2008, 8:16 PM EST 37 comments RSS digg blog email print LOS ANGELES (AP) - Floyd Mayweather Jr. is a champion boxer and has tested his moves on "Dancing With the Stars." Now the man many consider the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world is preparing to drop the gloves and do some wrasslin.'

A $20 million payday awaits the undefeated WBC welterweight champion when he takes on Big Show as part of WWE's "WrestleMania XXIV" at Citrus Bowl in Orlando, Fla., on March 30.
"It's entertainment. You have a chance to just be you and do what you want to do," Mayweather said Monday after a chaotic Staples Center event that masqueraded as a news conference.

The boxer nicknamed "Money" clearly likes the way WWE does business.

"Wrestling takes care of business right on the spot," Mayweather said. "Whatever they say they're going to do, they do it right on the spot. There's no waiting three, four, five months. Quick results, quick money. Quick big money, too."

His manager Leonard Ellerbee and WWE executive Shane McMahon confirmed Mayweather's eight-figure payday for the outdoor match to be shown on live on pay-per-view.

Mayweather incited the couple hundred of already hyped fans at Staples Center by whipping out a thick wad of cash and repeatedly tossing $100, $50 and $20 bills into the crowd that had nearly as many women as men.

A mad scramble ensued, with a light pole nearly getting knocked over and two small children caught in the chaos. One lucky man emerged from the pileup clutching six $100 bills.

Mayweather played to the frenzied crowd after appearing from behind a black curtain wearing a New York Yankees jacket and cap. Fans shouted insults and the name of hometown hero Oscar De La Hoya at Mayweather.

"I run Vegas and I run L.A. and I will run the WWE," he boasted.

At 5-foot-8, 150 pounds, Mayweather gives up big numbers to the bald Big Show, who stands 7-feet and weighs 430."I weigh three times as much as he does," Big Show crowed. "It's not fair, but I'm a businessman and I see an opportunity for business."

Then he picked up the wooden podium and tossed it to the floor, where it splintered and the attached two mics lay like broken sticks. Clearly, Staples Center officials hadn't expected the move.

Mayweather hopped onto a chair and exchanged glares with Big Show while WWE regulars Randy Orton, John Cena, Triple H and Edge looked on, witnessing a newcomer who clearly understands the theatrics of modern-day wrestling.

"WWE is the biggest it gets," Mayweather said. "This is going to be an event like none other."

Ellerbee scoffed that hard-core boxing fans won't take Mayweather seriously after his WWE antics.

"After March 30, when Floyd goes out and takes care of his business at WrestleMania, he's still going to be the best fighter in the world and the face of boxing," he said. "Tell me what changes about that? Nothing changes."

The wrestling gig is another part of Ellerbee's carefully crafted plan to expand Mayweather's fan base.

"Either I'm going to be a genius with this or I'm the biggest idiot," he said. "Boxers have such a short window of opportunity. He can't become any bigger in boxing."

That's why Ellerbee snagged Mayweather a spot on ABC's reality hit "Dancing With the Stars." Mayweather didn't win the disco ball trophy, but he wasn't the first one voted off, either.

"It crossed him over and took him into the households of many middle-aged Middle Americans and turned him into a mainstream superstar," Ellerbee said. "Now when Floyd goes into the grocery store, the first thing 65-year-old ladies say is, 'You're Floyd from 'Dancing With the Stars."'

Mayweather plans to train with WWE Latino star Ray Mysterio, who wears a mask on his face.

"I'm outside the box," he said, lapsing into the third person. "Floyd Mayweather is not just a fighter, he's an entertainer. That's what the world must know."

But he hasn't forgotten his night job.

Mayweather alluded to a possible rematch with De La Hoya in September. De La Hoya lost a split decision in their last bout May 5.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2008, 12:51:10 AM »
Vazquez outpoints Marquez in split decisionAssociated Press
Updated: March 2, 2008, 12:30 AM EST 1 comment RSS digg blog email print CARSON, Calif. (AP) - Israel Vazquez won his rubber match against Rafael Marquez in another exciting match featuring nonstop punching by the two skilled, hard-hitting super bantamweights.

"I gave it my all. I had to make a statement," Vazquez said Saturday night after retaining the WBC super bantamweight belt he took from Marquez last fall.

Vazquez, who was knocked down in the fourth round, rallied late to win by split decision in their third meeting.

"I knew I had to finish strong," said Vazquez, who had swelling around his right eye. "Some of those shots stunned me, but it did not slow me down. I didn't see out of my right eye from the fourth round on."

Judge Max De Luca scored it 114-111 for Vazquez, and James Jen Kin had Vazquez winning 113-112. Tom Kaczmarek gave Marquez a 114-111 edge.Referee Pat Russell took a point away from Marquez in the 10th round for hitting below the belt.

"I had warned him several times. Finally I had to take a point away," Russell said.

Marquez said, "In the 10th round, I hit him on the belt line."

He said he couldn't believe he lost.

"I boxed early and dominated throughout the entire fight," Marquez said through a translator. "I feel confident about my future."

The 30-year-old Vazquez, a native of Mexico City who lives in the Los Angeles suburb of Huntington Park, came within seconds of winning by knockout.

Israel Vazquez celebrates his tough win over Rafael Marquez to keep his WBC title. (Mark J. Terrill / Associated Press)

His barrages of punches sent Marquez slumping into the corner ropes in the waning seconds, and Russell looked as if he was ready to end it. But Marquez said he could continue, and by the time the two fighters were ready to re-engage, the final bell sounded.

When Marquez sent him to the canvas by landing a combination in the fourth, after the mandatory count, Vazquez waded right back in and quickly landed several hard shots that had Marquez reeling for a few seconds.

Vazquez had reclaimed the crown in September in their rematch in Hidalgo, Texas. With gashes above both eyes, he still knocked Marquez down in the sixth round of that bout and stopped him at 1:16 of the seventh.

Marquez won their first meeting, also in Carson, last March after he landed a right in the first round that broke Vazquez's nose. Despite having difficulty breathing, Vazquez continued to trade punches, but decided after the seventh round that he could not go on.

Vazquez (43-4, 32 knockouts) weighed the limit of 122 pounds. The 32-year-old Marquez (37-5, 33 knockouts), from Mexico City, weighed 121 1/2.

On the undercard, Jorge Paez Jr. stopped Tomas Barragan in the third round of their scheduled six-round super lightweight bout. Paez, from Mexico, improved to 19-1 with his 11th knockout. Barragan, from Orange, Calif., dropped to 8-3-1.

1]; } ?>