April 16, 2024, 07:35:34 AM

Author Topic: Julius James Thread  (Read 24140 times)

Offline biga84

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius James Thread
« on: March 08, 2008, 06:18:59 PM »
CLICK HERE for the video
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:01:41 AM by Flex »

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Julius James
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 06:30:12 PM »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline che

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2008, 06:56:36 PM »
yeah
Julius go buss dem in TFC
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2008, 07:39:07 PM »
Anyone know if Julius James ever show up for T&T ? I know he was called up by Maturana. A good player he is developing to be, give him time though, he's still a kick and boom player, he needs to learn to be more composed and play better passes from the back, but a big player he will turn out to be one day.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2008, 07:51:25 PM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2008, 08:01:57 PM »
Anyone know if Julius James ever show up for T&T ? I know he was called up by Maturana. A good player he is developing to be, give him time though, he's still a kick and boom player, he needs to learn to be more composed and play better passes from the back, but a big player he will turn out to be one day.

he nursing a knock on he knee. he running on it but wont be playing again on it until next week. after the season start he could study trini football. but he did get a call from anton.
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 10:54:47 AM »
Seems like a really good guy eside being a good player.  Let's all wish him good health and good luck for a long, successful football career.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS First Kick 2008: Julius James
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2008, 07:20:36 AM »
CLICK HERE for the video
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius James live on AM 790 tonight (Wed, Dec 17)
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2008, 06:47:05 AM »
Dynamo All Access with Glenn Davis
houston.mlsnet.com

Dynamo all access with Glenn Davis airs Wednesday from 7-9 p.m. CT (8-10 PM EST, 9-11 PM TT) on AM 790. Guests for the show include newly acquired defender Julius James, Houston coach Dominic Kinnear, and coach of the NCAA Champion Maryland Terrapins Sasho Cirovski. The call in number for the show is 713-212-5790.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius James talks about his experience in 2009 with the National Team
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2009, 09:01:29 PM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/tkUorYYIHhU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/tkUorYYIHhU</a>

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Julius James Thread
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 07:46:40 AM »
James: Soca Warriors committed to good results.
T&T Guardian Reports.

DC United defender Julius James says his national team-mates all have each other’s back as they prepare for next week’s Digicel Caribbean Cup qualifiers.

The Maloney-born James joined the Soca Warriors live-in camp on Tuesday night and had his first two sessions on Wednesday at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, Mucurapo.

Speaking after the session, James said at this point his main focus is helping guide T&T through to the Finals in Martinique next month.

“The main objective for myself and every other player is to win all three matches and get this phase out of the way and then move on to the finals next month.

“Whichever venue we play at, we have to buckle down and play the football that will bring us results,” James said.

“We have a bunch of guys in camp who are committed to the task and they realise the importance of playing well and getting good results especially in front of the home fans.

We know the home crowd will be keen to see the team play especially after all the talk that has been passing around regarding the recent results.

“I think we are progressing well and that was noticeable in the last match away to Jamaica. We have a good mix of overseas and local-based players and we will have each other’s back out there on the playing field,” James added.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2016, 01:00:26 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius James will use international experience to enhance club form in 2011
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2010, 05:33:54 PM »
Julius James will use international experience to enhance club form in 2011
By Alex Caulfield (dcunited.com)

For Julius James, 2010 has been a rewarding and taxing year all at the same time. United's physical central defender enjoyed personal success amid the Black-and-Red's collective struggles, while advancing his career with the Trinidad and Tobago National Team. In regards to the latter, James recently finished up a three-match stint in the 2010 Digicel Cup - a Caribbean competition that allows its victor to advance to the CONCACAF Gold Cup. Much like his D.C. United career, James' role with his National Team has increased over time, and now he is a trusted starter for the Soca Warriors.

Unfortunately Trinidad and Tobago fell at the final hurdle, losing two of its last three matches to Cuba and Grenada. On November 26, James' side went down 2-0 to the Cubans, and two days later Grenada triumphed 1-0. Trinidad and Tobago did manage to salvage a 1-0 win over Martinique on November 30, but it was too little too late, as Jamaica ultimately went on to claim the Gold Cup entry.

Prior to leaving Washington for National Team duty, James had this to say about Trinidad and Tobago's progress in 2010, "Yeah, things have been going pretty well with the National Team. We have been playing well, progressing in the tournament, and the coaching has been good. Our coach was happy with the way we have been playing, but he's not satisfied because we haven't done as well as we expect [in the tournament]. The country is not happy about it, the fans are not happy, there is a lot of pressure about it from the government to do better."

That pressure will have surely increased following the nation's exit from the Digicel tourney, a competition that Trinidad and Tobago has won eight times. Still, James' season with United was strong, and he recognizes that he is only emerging as a National Team regular.

"The fact that I got called into the National Team for the [Digicel] tournament, this being my first year with the team, my first time getting called in, it has been a huge honor."

In 2010 James played in 22 games for the Black-and-Red, starting 16 of those contests and solidifying his position in central defense alongside Dejan Jakovic in the second half of the season. He even scored the match-winning goal at BMO Field against his old club Toronto FC on September 11. According to James, his National Team experience is only going to improve his MLS performances in 2011 after he gets a brief respite.

"You get the recognition and experience on an international stage, and it only helps you when you come back to the club season. I am going to take two weeks to do nothing, my body is feeling [the effects of] this year. I have to take a bit of break to get my body right to be able to start back up in January, but I know we are all looking forward to it."

Offline fish

• Sr. Warrior
  • "Study the past if you would define the future"
    • View Profile
Julius James could prove valuable asset for Columbus
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2011, 08:29:35 PM »
James could prove valuable asset for Columbus.
By: Craig Merz MLSsoccer.com.

OBETZ, Ohio – Julius James may have found a new home with the Crew, and could play at his former residence in Saturday’s season opener.

The Trinidad international was cut by D.C. United in February but was signed by the Crew on Feb. 28 to add depth to the defense. Now, with center back Andy Iro recovering from a groin injury, the former University of Connecticut standout could be paired with Chad Marshall when the team opens the season at RFK Stadium.

“It’s a twist of fate that we are playing DC in the opener,” James said. “When one door closes, another door opens. Things worked out. I was without a team for only about 10 days.”

James scored two goals in 31 matches for D.C. United the past two seasons, and was surprised by his release. He said coach Ben Olsen told him he was expendable after the club was forced to sign goalkeeper Pat Onstad to a short-term contract after injuries to goalkeeper Steve Cronin.

“[Olsen] told me wasn’t going to play me in the season,” James said. “He thought it was the best move in my career and he needed a roster spot for a goalkeeper.”

The Crew was happy to take James, who has also played for Toronto FC and the Houston Dynamo.

“Look at the three clubs he played for,” Crew coach Robert Warzycha said. “He was a starter for all of them. He is a good player. He can help us a lot, especially because we lost [Eric] Brunner to the Expansion Draft. He brings a lot of experience.”

Injuries to Iro and left back Shaun Francis have opened the way for James to earn a spot in the starting lineup.

“Before they brought me in, they asked me if I’m comfortable being able to work from behind and compete because they have their guys already,” James said.

“Obviously, everyone wants to start, but I don’t mind working on improving my game to become a starter. As [long] as I can help the group, I will do anything I can.”

Technical director Brian Bliss said James was acquired for more than cover in case of injuries.

“He’s a guy who’s going to fight for a starting spot, and if he’s not, he’s going to give us big time depth that we lost with Brunner,” said Bliss. “It’s not like he’s been a spot player for three years. He can start.”

James has speed that the Crew has lacked in the central defense, but he said he has other strengths.

“I am aggressive," he said. “I talk a lot. I like to organize. I really like bringing intensity to the game. In the game of soccer if you intensify your game the guys around you also intensify their game. It spreads like wildfire.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:14:56 AM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Julius James could prove valuable asset for Columbus
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2011, 05:34:00 AM »
James happy to be part of the ‘Crew’
By: Shaun Fuentes.

Columbus Crew head coach Robert Warzycha has admitted he was left wondering why defender Julius James was bounced around from team to team in the American MLS.

James, 26, has been to four different clubs since 2008, having played at Toronto FC, Houston Dynamo and DC United. He was released by DC last season despite leading the team in minutes on the field.

He was deemed expendable by DC head coach Ben Olsen. Warzycha said the other clubs’ loss was Crew’s gain.

The likes of Ansil Elcock and Stern John have also been favourites with the Crew while Cornell Glen has also featured there.

“It comes to your mind with any deal,” he said. “I remember when he played for DC how hard it was to play against him.

Every single coach is going to tell you whatever doesn’t work on the other team I can fix it. This is the same thing here.”

James said he has questioned his capabilities at times having been asked to move from club to club but is now settled with the rest of the “Crew”.

“You tend to look at yourself to see exactly what you’ve been doing wrong,” the national team defender said.

“I never could look in the mirror and say I’ve been a bad teammate or a bad person, bad for the locker room, a bad player.

After a while, you just get strong mentally and take it as a new door opening. That’s why I took this opportunity.”
« Last Edit: April 28, 2011, 05:38:58 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
James and Crew happy to be home for a while
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2011, 07:50:54 AM »
Crew happy to be home for a while
By Shawn Mitchell (The Columbus Dispatch)

Crew defender Julius James could have used some comfort food and well-earned couch time after he returned home from a 2-0 loss at Colorado last weekend.

Instead, he found a fridge full of disappointment.

“I came back and looked inside,” James said. “It was not good. There was one beer, a couple of eggs and some bread.”

The slim pickings were a sad symptom of the Crew’s schedule, which sent the team to play Western Conference opponents in five of the previous seven games.

“There was no point in buying groceries,” James said. “You come home, you train for a couple of days and you’re gone again. Things would spoil.”

Such road-dogging ends today when the Crew plays host to the New England Revolution. Four of Columbus’ next five will be played in Crew Stadium.

The Crew will play its final Western Conference road game at Seattle on Aug. 27.

“We are absolutely looking forward to playing some games at home,” James said. “Physically and mentally, it’s very good for us.”

The Crew (9-7-7) did an admirable job during its summer journey. It went 3-3-1, good enough to take over first place in the weaker Eastern Conference.

Second-place Philadelphia (8-5-9) trails the Crew by one point, though the Union has played one fewer game. Third-place New York (6-6-12) and Kansas City (7-7-9) are four points back, within striking distance.

A victory over struggling New England (4-10-9) could help the Crew put some distance between it and its pursuers, but a long list of injured players might temper expectations during this home-heavy stretch.

“If you have injuries it’s never good, but travel (compounds) things,” said Crew coach Robert Warzycha, who has grown weary of talking about the sprains, strains and pulls that have hindered his team this season.

“You only need one goal to win a game. With all the injuries we have, I don’t want to tell our guys that we have to score five times against New England to win the game, because that won’t happen. But I wish it would, for us and our fans and our confidence.”

Potential starters Eddie Gaven (right leg), Rich Balchan (groin), Jeff Cunningham (right knee), Tony Tchani (right knee) and Shaun Francis (groin) are not expected to play tonight.

Dilaver Duka (right ankle), Emilio Renteria (right quadriceps) and Danny O’Rourke (fitness) returned to practice this week but are likely to be nothing more than potential subs.

Robbie Rogers scored the tying goal for the United States in a 1-1 contest with Mexico on Wednesday and later suffered a calf strain, although he is expected to play tonight.

Warzycha will employ another patchwork lineup and hope it can take some pressure off a relatively stable defensive unit.

The Crew has scored 1.04 goals per game, better than only New England and Toronto, both at 0.96.

“Are we still on top of the East?” asked James, perhaps more concerned with getting to the grocery store than checking the standings.

“Can you imagine how many more games we could have won if we scored some more goals? But we still have all the confidence in our attack. We have good attacking players. Sometimes we score. Sometimes we don’t. But at some point, when the pressure is on and the defense really needs them, they’ll pull through.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
FreeKick with Julius James
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2011, 03:26:59 PM »
Crew Communications

The Columbus Crew has had a long history with players from Trinidad and Tobago. Ansil Elcock, Cornell Glen and, most notably, Stern John, among others, are a vivid part of the Crew’s rich history. Another Trinidadian is now making his mark with the Black & Gold.

After splitting the last three seasons between four teams, Julius James arrived in Columbus at the end of preseason and immediately made an impact with the Crew’s defense. The 6-0, 180-pound center back stepped right into the starting lineup and helped the club post a franchise-record 414 consecutive shutout minutes and four straight complete shutouts.

We sat down with James and discussed his career, the Trinidad and Tobago National Team, Columbus, his personal heroes and how he once wished he was Italian.

Crew Communications: You’re from Trinidad and Tobago and the Crew has had quite a rich history of Trinidadians playing in Columbus. Were you aware of that tradition?

Julius James: I knew about Stern John’s success here before he went to Europe. I know Cornell [Glen] and played with him in Trinidad and I played against [Ansil] Elcock in a scrimmage back home.

CC: You came to the United States to go to UConn in 2004. Was it difficult to leave your family behind and move to Connecticut?

JJ: When I was in Trinidad I was already part of a national team residency program, so it wasn’t as difficult as you would think. It took a little longer to adjust to the climate and to speak slowly and water down my accent so that people could understand me. I really enjoyed the college experience, though.

CC: You were drafted by Toronto FC in the first round (No. 9 overall) of the 2008 MLS SuperDraft, but didn’t see a lot of playing time there in your first year in the league. What was that like for you?

JJ: When I was drafted, I knew that there was always a possibility of things not being what you want them to be, and after a great preseason I got two back-to-back injuries. That didn’t help me much in terms of being a starter, so it took me some time to get back from my injuries and to turn into the player that I wanted to be.

CC: You made your professional debut for TFC against the LA Galaxy on May 31, 2008 and scored the game-winner. What do you remember most about that?

JJ: It was a surreal feeling because I had been fighting all season to be in the starting lineup and they brought in an older guy in front of me who got injured about 10-15 minutes into the game. In that sense it was a struggle because there were always guys who were brought in ahead of me in the depth chart. It was tough, because I knew I could play at a better level than some of them. It was a blessing from God that I got my opportunity. My scoring the goal was almost divine intervention because I was at a low point and the goal gave me the boost and the confidence I needed.

CC: In 2009 you were traded to Houston before landing in D.C., where in 2010 you led your fellow defenders in minutes played.

JJ: I was traded [to Houston] for Dwayne De Rosario, so I would say that was my best trade in terms of value. Then when I got to D.C., I played in every game in 2009. The following year, I missed the first few games again because there was another couple of guys who [the coaching staff] felt were going to be a better fit for the team. I went in every day working very hard without complaining and I got my chance. Once I played the first game, I played the rest of the season and led the team in minutes.

CC: How was it to play for a former teammate as your coach?

JJ: When Ben [Olsen] became the head coach I was very happy for him. I vowed that I would give my all for him because I really liked him as a person and as a player. We had a great rapport and I did play my hardest for him – never giving up – for myself, my family and for Ben.

CC: DC’s loss is Columbus’ gain. You've played all but two games so far this season. How does it make you feel to be an important contributor on this new team?

JJ: I am really happy and I feel really blessed. I am a strong believer in God and I believe this is God’s doing.  There was a door that was shut and I felt disregarded, but as the saying goes: “One man’s trash is another man’s treasure”. This exemplifies that saying. Not only did I find a team, but I found a team with a great group of people, with skillful and talented players. Everyone has been so nice to me and it feels like the perfect place to be.

CC: You mention you were in residency with the Trinidad and Tobago U-17 National Team and you have four caps with the first team. Where do you see the T&T soccer program now and where is it going?

JJ: It’s touch and go. We qualified for the World Cup [in 2006] and that is the highest level we achieved. I didn’t go there but I really want to go there one day. We have the potential to be the best team in the Caribbean, together with Jamaica. We have the ability to be top-ranked in the CONCACAF region and, even though I can’t pinpoint the reason, we always seem to fall short. There’s a lot of younger guys coming up and I think we can turn things around, but they need to introduce them into the team. We just got a new head coach and he’ll be in charge of doing that. I would like to get called in to the team and turn this new leaf with the national team. I think that in terms of center backs right now, I may have a good chance

CC: Who are your soccer heroes?

JJ: I love Fabio Cannavaro (the longtime Italian National Team captain and center back). When I was younger I was telling everyone that I was Italian because I loved how they played. I would tell everyone that I was born in Italy and that my parents adopted me. I loved how gutsy the Italian team defended and how strong they were. Dwight Yorke is another player I admired. He really carried the flag for Trinidadian soccer. I also liked (Dutch defender) Jaap Stam. When he played with Dwight Yorke at Manchester United, he caught my eye. He was a very solid player in the back line. Those are the guys who stood out to me growing up.

CC: Aside from God, who you’ve already mentioned, who are your heroes off the field?

JJ: My grandmother – I think she was an angel – and my parents as well. There are obviously icons that I would like to meet such as President Obama, but the first person that comes to mind in terms of a hero is my grandmother.

CC: What do you think of Columbus as a city?

JJ: I’m still getting to know it. It seems very interesting, but I haven’t had a chance to explore it much yet. I really like Grandview, which is where I live, and I like the Short North and Downtown areas. It is quite different from D.C., but I like it because it’s nice and ‘homey’ and the people are great and hospitable.

CC: Last question: Columbus Crew a contender for MLS Cup?

JJ: [without any hesitation] Yes!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: FreeKick with Julius James
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2011, 06:21:06 PM »
Crew Communications

The Columbus Crew has had a long history with players from Trinidad and Tobago. Ansil Elcock, Cornell Glen and, most notably, Stern John, among others, are a vivid part of the Crew’s rich history. Another Trinidadian is now making his mark with the Black & Gold.

I think they could add Andrei Pacheco and Kevin Adams to that list as well.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:33:44 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: FreeKick with Julius James
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2011, 06:31:31 PM »
Crew Communications

I think they could add Andrei Pacheco and Kevin Adams to that list as well.

Dey probably eh list dem because Pacheco never play ah league match, and Adams play ah grand total of 42 mins over 5 games.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:33:52 PM by Flex »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
James undergoes shoulder surgery.
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 04:42:17 AM »
James undergoes shoulder surgery.
By: Shaun Fuentes.

National team defender Julius James underwent athroscopic surgery on his shoulder in Columbus last month.

The former St Anthony’s College stopper returned to Columbus to have the procedure done a week after T&T’s World Cup qualifying matches against Guyana.

“I opted to get the surgery to prevent further dislocation which happened in the past,” said James. “It was successful and it’s not going to hamper my readiness for the next MLS season but it puts me at ease now regarding future problems.”

The Columbus Crew man touched on the T&T’s untimely exit from the 2014 qualifiers in which he played every qualifying game prior to the 2-0 win over Guyana.

“It just didn’t work out the way we wanted or hoped for and it’s sad for all of us. We have to reflect on it and really come up with answers for going forward.

“We need to ensure we do not ever repeat some of the mistakes we made and also take whatever positives forward with us.

I definitely hope we can improve our position in Concacaf in upcoming tournaments and for 2018, said James who was voted Columbus’s top defender for the 2011 MLS season.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
James working hard to come back strong for Crew
« Reply #21 on: January 23, 2012, 07:24:17 PM »
James working hard to come back strong for Crew
By Craig Merz (MLSsoccer.com)

Columbus Crew center back Julius James isn't participating in preseason training with his teammates because of his surgically repaired left shoulder. As you might imagine, he's finding his predicament difficult.

“There’s a lot to get excited about in the team,” he told MLSsoccer.com on Monday. “We have a group of older guys that are going to help push everything. I’m just sad I can’t be with the team right now.”

James has been forced to watch his teammates participate in drills and play 7-v-7 at an indoor facility because of an operation on Nov. 18.

“My labrum was torn and I had a bone that chipped off my socket,” he said, adding that his shoulder popped out three times last season. “It was pretty torn up. I needed surgery. There’s no question about it.”

He hopes to start training in about a month with a goal of being cleared to play in late March or early April, meaning he could miss as few as one or as many as four MLS matches.

“I can do most everything with the shoulder,” he said. “I’m not about to make any quick movements or push anyone. I can do everyday movements, I’m just not as strong as I should be to come out here and train with the guys.”

James, who started 31 of 34 matches in 2011 during his first year with the Crew, fills his time strengthening the core muscles in his left shoulder so he can begin lifting with heavier weights. He also works on his fitness by riding a stationary bike while the team is practicing.

He feels the deterioration in his shoulder began years ago.

“I think it’s because I used to swim a lot when I was younger,” he said. “Maybe transitioning into playing soccer, my shoulder wasn’t as strong as it should be.”

It doesn't necessarily help that he plays a physical game and is not afraid of contact when it is necessary.

“In soccer, you fall a lot,” he said. “People don’t understand how much you use your arms in soccer. When you make a slide tackle, you fall on your shoulder and it dislocates. You leverage for headers or are screening off people with your arms.”

The Crew anticipated James’ absence when acquiring Carlos Mendes from New York in December. Danny O’Rourke, Eric Gehrig and Rich Balchan are also candidates to pair with captain Chad Marshall in the central defense.

Camp notes

Chilean midfielder Milan Mirosevic will train for the first time on Tuesday, while the club hopes Costa Rican forward Olman Vargas can make it to Columbus for a few practices before the team departs for Bradenton, Fla., on Jan. 31.

Meanwhile, Chad Marshall missed Monday’s practice because of illness. Defender/midfielder Rich Balchan continues to experience some pain from sports hernia surgery in November and is not training.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
James injury update
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 07:55:45 PM »
James injury update
By Craig Merz (MLSsoccer.com)

Julius James is so close, yet still so far away from returning after offseason reconstructive surgery on his right shoulder.

The Columbus Crew defender is able to stretch with the team before practice but after that he goes inside the training facility to rehab on his own. Once completed, he usually watches the end of the training session from the sideline.

“To warm up a little and not be able to train is ... just difficult,” James said.

There is no timetable for his comeback but the original diagnosis was that he’d miss three or four games. The Crew play their second game on Saturday when they host Montreal in the club’s home opener, but James will likely need another month before he is ready to play.

“He is anxious to be back but we have to be smart,” head coach Robert Warzycha said. “He does some things on the field but he’s not going to be cleared soon.”

James is pushing to get back but he knows it has to be done with caution.

“We’re taking all the necessary steps to make sure I’m healing properly and doing all the exercises we can to strengthen it,” he said. “Unfortunately with this surgery, there is a time period you have to wait for your body to heal up.”

A milestone was reached last week when he fell on the shoulder and got up without pain.

“That shows the surgery was a success,” James said.

Offline mukumsplau

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
What's going on with Julius James??? Collapsed lung??
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2012, 09:06:41 PM »
his facebook profile just posted (an hour ago) that he has a collapsed lung and is in the ER. anybody else seeing that? Tallman?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 09:12:32 PM by mukumsplau »

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with Julius James??? Collapsed lung??
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:46 PM »
saw it on big soccer and all over twitter.Pray that they find out what cause it and for a speedy recovery
« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 06:38:26 AM by royal »

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2012, 02:33:31 AM »
James warded at hospital after lung collapse in training.
By: Shaun Fuentes (TTFF).

National Senior Team defender Julius James is warded at the Riverside Hospital after suffering a lung collapse following a training session on Wednesday with his American Major League Soccer club Columbus Crew.

James said he felt some tightness in his chest and rib area while doing some functional movement exercises at the Columbus  practice field and was taken in for observation at the Doctor before being warded on Thursday.

“It happened while I was doing some functional movement. I just felt some tightness in my chest and ribs. I was observed by the Doctor and then I was sent to ER,” James told TTFF Media from his hospital bed.

“They did a CT scan which showed that there was air between my lung and chest cavity. They carried out a 30 minute procedure. They inserted a tube up into my chest.

"I’m resting comfortably but I will be warded until my right lung goes back into normal function. I hope to be out of here in a day’s time” added James.

The Columbus Crew is handling all James’ medical needs.

The former St Anthony’s College player was on the verge of making a full return to action with the Crew after undergoing reconstructive shoulder surgery late last year.

The 27-year-old James has 15 appearances for T&T and was named Columbus’s top defender for the 2011 MLS Season. A pneumothorax is the medical term for a collapsed lung.

When a person has a pneumothorax, he or she usually has sharp chest pains on the side of the lung collapse, and he or she may cough and have shortness of breath. The symptoms can be mild or quite severe, depending upon how collapsed the lung is. If the collapse is large, a person may have a very fast pulse rate and go into shock. A large, untreated pneumothorax can be fatal.

A pneumothorax is usually diagnosed by a chest X-ray. If a pneumothorax is small and if the symptoms are mild and the person is otherwise healthy, no treatment may be necessary other than rest. A large pneumothorax requires hospitalization and placement of a chest tube into the space between the lungs and the ribs which is what James underwent..

The tube removes the air that has collected around the lung that keeps the lung from expanding. Once the air is released, the deflated lung can expand and heal.

"The doctors say it will depend on how long the lung takes to get back to regular size and function will determine how long I remain in Hospital," James said.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2012, 04:12:58 AM by Flex »

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2012, 06:59:24 AM »
LAWD FADDER
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2012, 08:19:52 AM »
This is a very sad news.

I wish Mr. James a speedy recovery.

Offline Mr Fix-it

• Hero Warrior
  • I Love 5 things,my 3 Babies/ManU/Wife in dat order
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2012, 08:30:57 AM »
JJ get better, feel better, play yu ball
"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
Wha goin' on with all this football trauma jed?

Muamba, Petrovic, now Julius...

They say these things does happen in 3's but lawd....

Speedy recovery JJ!!
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>