April 25, 2024, 11:23:24 PM

Author Topic: What made Arthur Suite's ASL so Successful?  (Read 13713 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: What made Arthur Suite's ASL so Successful?
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 08:51:36 AM »

What was the score. I was not home.

This was a tour to England.

I haven't found the result. CP's results that I did find around that day were:

Sat 25 Aug 1984     Blackburn Rovers     H     League    D 1-1
Mon 27 Aug 1984    Northampton Town    H    League Cup    W 1-0               
Sat 01 Sep 1984    Shrewsbury Town    A    League    L 1-4   

Considering their season had started, I wonder if this was a reserve team. CP was in the Canon 2nd Division that season (ended up in 15th)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2010, 09:15:44 AM »
Excerpted from

The Story of T&T Football
By Valentino Singh

Suriname beat the National team 3-2 but lost 1-0 to ASL Sports. English team Arsenal won against ASL Sports 3-2 but beat a representative team from the league 2-0 while Ireland won their only game against ASL 3-1. Manchester United also won two games 2-1 and 4-1 while Bermuda battled a Trinidad and Tobago team 2-2 in the opening match of the season.

Two Brazilian powerhouses, Flamengo - the team of superstars Zico and Junior and Corinthians also played a game each. Flamengo beat ASL 3-1 and their countrymen went on a goal spree in an 8-2 rout.

By the year end, Suite announced the League was folding.

Earlier, the season opened with Manchester United and Southampton playing to a 1-1 draw at the National Stadium - a game that attracted 18,000 fans. Another English team Bradford City also visited. They won and lost but more importantly, they saw a young man by the name of Russell Latapy and invited him for trials.

Manchester didn't win two games vs. ASL. The first one was rained out at the QPO, probably with MU leading 2-1, the REf. called off the game and it was replayed possibly at the Nat. Stadium with MU winning 4-1.

The Indians were incredibly lucky in that game. And lost two more games to TT on tour.

I think the Corinthians game was 7-2 but could be wrong. However, the two goals by ASL were superb. Garnet Craig with a bullet from about 50 metres out and Lobo with one of the greatest headers I have ever seen.

The Man U - Southampton game was a 1-0 affair. The goal was scored by the only black player on the field for Saints. A set o' white locals showed up at the game, screaming down the place.

I remember being at that game and having to sit on the steps becz the covered area at the Stad. was sold out.
:-)

U have a serious memory horse.  Was it a diving header right?  But somehow thought it was vs Flamengo or maybe Flamengo was a Scissors? 

I not too sure any of Suite's leagues was making profits at anytime.  i was a lil young so maybe i am wrong.  Good football in them times. 

Yes,

Lobo also scored vs. Flam. can't remember if it was a scissors.

That was a Rasta with good skills :-) Never saw a sub excite people so. Probably the only regular Club Sub, who used to get pick for the national team :-))

VB the best ASL player in that game was Brian Williams MVP. He ended up with Zico shirt. ASL played very well in that game, but against Corinthians they got a lesson in football from Socrates. He was elegant and effective beyond imagination
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2012, 05:10:38 PM »
Here are a few more stories

Tottenham Hotspurs to visit Trinidad
Date Published: 1983-04-05
Source: Jamaica Gleaner

PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad, April 2 (CANA)

Tottenham Hotspurs, one of England's most renowned football clubs, may play two matches in Trinidad in May, according to a report in the TRINIDAD GUARDIAN.

The GUARDIAN said that negotiations are now underway to have the 'Spurs' here for the formal opening of the 1983 Trinidad and Tobago Football League's (TTFL) season, Mucurapo.

Arthur Suite, chairman of the TTFL and one of the country's leading soccer promoters and two directors of ASL Properties Limited, have left for London to finalise arrangements for the visit of the 'Spurs'.

If plans materialise, Tottenham will play both matches against ASL Sports, Tnnidad and Tobago's only fully professional football club.

Tottenham won the English FA Cup in 1981 and 1982. They boast of having Argentine World Cup stars Osvaldo Ardiles and Ricardo Villa in their team, as well as exciting players like Steve Archibald, Glenn Hoddle, Ray Clemence and Garth Crooks.

Here's a copy of the programme:

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2021, 03:10:36 PM »
Had this question emailed to me today:

22-11-1982  Arena: Trinidad & Tobago
ASL Sports Club – IFK Göteborg  0-2

25-11-1982  Arena: Trinidad & Tobago
KFC Memphis United – IFK Göteborg  0-3
Hope T&T Football History could help me with further information of his
two matches
such lineups and goalscorers and other facts available ?

1]; } ?>