April 26, 2024, 09:59:05 PM

Author Topic: Julius James Thread  (Read 24236 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: What's going on with Julius James??? Collapsed lung??
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 11:54:32 AM »
Scary stuff.  Get better soon.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 12:50:43 PM »
I have heard of people suffering from collapsed lung before but it was related to excessive smoking of cigerttes,hope he gets over and continue to play his game.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 01:00:09 PM »
Get well soon Julius.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 06, 2012, 02:23:20 PM »
So sorry to hear this unfortunate news. Speedy recovery JJ. We certainly wish you the very best.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2012, 06:27:44 PM »
Get well soon soldier

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2012, 06:34:52 PM »
Stay strong and get well soon!

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 10:20:00 AM »
Any updates?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2012, 02:12:10 PM »
Julius Released From Hospital
Shaun Fuentes, TTFF Media

United Stated-based defender Julius James is out of hospital and resting comfortably at his home after  suffering a collapsed lung while in training with American MLS club Columbus Crew last week.

James had been warded at the Riverside Hospital  where he received treatment for a spontaneous pneumothorax (collapsed lung) that had been diagnosed on Thursday.

Columbus Crew President and General Manager Mark McCullers had issued a statement, saying : "Julius has successfully undergone a corrective procedure to treat a spontaneous pneumothorax . He is resting comfortably and his prognosis for a full recovery is excellent, which is our primary concern. No timeline for his return to action has been established at this time."

James, speaking from his Columbus, Ohio home said he was grateful for the support of his friends and family members as well as the Columbus Crew for its outpouring support. He thanked God for life.

“God is greatest and he has demonstrated that once again,” James told TTFF Media on Wednesday.

“From my teammates and fans in Columbus and around the MLS, my friends and family back home and the FA which contacted me while in hospital, I am thankful for  everyone’s support.  I’m just happy to be doing okay now and hopefully I can be back taking part in physical activity by next month or so,” James added.

The 27-year-old James played 31 matches for Crew last season and was first drafted into the MLS by Toronto FC in 2008. He scored on his MLS debut against LA Galaxy that year. James was named Crew’s top defender for the 2011 MLS season.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2012, 04:02:51 PM »
Good stuff... and good work by Fuentes by staying on top of this and keeping folks informed.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
Good news, God Bless!!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Crew defender James recovering from collapsed lung
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2012, 07:07:22 PM »
Crew defender James recovering from collapsed lung
By Craig Merz (MLSSoccer.com)

There’s nothing good that comes from a collapsed lung, but Crew defender Julius James said the response to his recent surgery was uplifting.

He was especially moved by the "get well" banner fans displayed in Crew Stadium during a 4-1 loss to New York last Saturday.

“You definitely feel humbled,” James told MLSsoccer.com in a phone interview from his home in Columbus on Wednesday. “I realized how much the fans care for the players and the organization. I have to say thank you for all the support from the fans, the coaches and teammates and all my friends.”

James, 27, underwent an emergency procedure Thursday after being diagnosed with spontaneous pneumothorax. He was released from the hospital on Sunday and is limited in activities as to not raise his heart rate. He could resume full training, including contact, in about a month.

“As of now I’ll be back running before that,” he said.

Shortness of breath and a heavy feeling in his chest after last Wednesday’s practice led James to seek medical attention. It was first believed he might be suffering cramps in his attempt to return to full strength from shoulder surgery in November, which caused him to miss the first three matches.

“It seems like one thing after another,” he said.

After being looked at by doctors James felt better and more relaxed and returned to training Thursday morning, but once again the symptoms appeared and a CAT scan was scheduled for later in the day.

Once the results were found, James was given sobering news.

“They said, ‘Go straight to the emergency room.’ When that happened I was in shock,” he explained. “I asked if I was okay and if I could play again. That was one of my fears.”

Surgery quickly followed and James was fitted with a tube that ran from chest to rib cage to help facilitate his breathing.

Well wishers were numerous during his stay, including texts from representatives of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation, and have continued during his recovery. As of Wednesday afternoon his cell phone voicemail was at capacity with messages.

“I’ve very fortunate I’m around a good group of guys,” James said.

The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2012, 11:50:42 AM »
He's training again.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2012, 02:17:33 PM »
Great news  :beermug:  :thumbsup:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
James set to make season debut
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 04:40:42 AM »
James set to make season debut
By Adam Jardy (The Columbus Dispatch)

Tuesday’s paper will have a shortish story on the Crew beginning U.S. Open Cup play later that evening, but as usual there were things that did not make the final cut.

First off, Julius James was active with what looked like the first-team unit in today’s light training session at the team’s training facility in Obetz. When I spoke with him afterward, James used the word “excited” a half-dozen times during the three-plus minutes in which we spoke. The guy has the friendliest demeanor on the team and you can’t help but share his enthusiasm for being on the field once you engage him in conversation.

“It’s such a relief,” he said. “I’m so grateful to God for my health and strength back. I’ve been training pretty hard and doing strength and fitness. The trainers had me going and kept me occupied. Nothing beats playing, but (Tuesday) I have the opportunity to step back in and do what I love.”

After starting in 31 games last season, James underwent shoulder surgery and was projected to miss the first few weeks of the season. He was pronounced fully recovered from the procedure at the beginning of April, only to suffer a collapsed lung that sent him back to the hospital.

Less than two weeks later, however, James was back doing limited work as he regained his fitness.

“They were paying attention to me,” he said. “I couldn’t get my heart rate up too high and stuff like that. I’ve been doing fitness for quite some time.”

James said he is not at much risk of suffering another collapsed lung.

“In my whole lifetime there’s a 15 percent chance, so that’s not bad at all,” he said. “That was just a freak thing and there’s no explanation. There’s nothing I could do to prevent it. It just happens.”

However, head coach Robert Warzycha was coy when noncommittal when asked if James will play against the Dayton Dutch Lions.

“I’m not sure if he’s ready to go,” he said. “His fitness is still coming.”

Also on what looked to be the first unit was rookie forward Ethan Finlay, who has not seen game action since suffering a concussion May 12 against FC Dallas.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: James set to make season debut
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 06:23:09 PM »
He's captaining the side tonight.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 06:51:29 PM »

Birchall and Kevon George also started. According to reports Birchall is having a MOM performance.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2012, 07:32:04 PM »

Birchall and Kevon George also started. According to reports Birchall is having a MOM performance.

All for naught. Dey lorse 2-1.

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2012, 07:34:35 PM »
plenty of the US cup matches streaming at http://www.mlssoccer.com/us-open-cup.

molino side orlando playing now. streaming on youtube.

Offline JRtheWriter

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius James Signs Contract Extension With The Columbus Crew
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:14 PM »
Julius James signs contract extension with the Columbus Crew.
Goal.Com.

The Columbus Crew announced that they have signed defender Julius James to a multi-year contract extension. Per league policy, no financial terms of the deal were disclosed.

James, a 26-year-old from Trinidad and Tobago, was signed by the Crew in the offseason after being waived by DC United. He started the team's first 15 matches before being sidelined with an injury.

“I am extremely happy to have the organization have that much confidence and interest in me that I have been asked to re-sign,” James said.

“I love Columbus, the fans, my teammates and the organization, and I feel it is a blessing that six months ago I was waived by a team and six months later one of the best teams in the league offers me a contract extension.”

James was originally drafted ninth overall by Toronto in the 2008 MLS SuperDraft out of the University of Connecticut. He has also played for Houston in his MLS career.

“We saw something in Julius before we brought him here,” said Crew head coach Robert Warzycha. “I think he’s a well-proven defender in the league and he obviously blended in very well. We’ve had some success with him [in the lineup] so it makes sense to keep him longer.”

« Last Edit: July 15, 2012, 04:05:07 AM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS Disciplinary Committee suspends and fines Crew defender Julius James
« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »
MLS Disciplinary Committee suspends and fines Crew defender Julius James
thecrew.com

The MLS Disciplinary Committee has suspended Columbus Crew defender Julius James one game and fined him an undisclosed amount for violent conduct in the 78th minute of the Philadelphia Union vs. Columbus Crew  match on Wednesday, August 29.

James will serve his one game suspension during the Crew’s match against the Montreal Impact on Saturday, September 1.

Fines collected will be donated to the charitable partners of MLS W.O.R.K.S. and the MLS Players Union.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Five questions with...Julius James
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2012, 10:35:45 AM »
Five questions with...Julius James
By Adam Jardy (The Columbus Dispatch)

Five questions with Crew defender Julius James.

1. If you weren’t playing soccer, what would you be doing with your life?
“Wow. This is my dream, man, from when I started playing and loving it. I started playing when I was 12 so when I started loving it at 13, 14, I never thought about anything else. I’m good at talking to people and I love meeting new people. I have a major and a minor in resource economics and geography so maybe I’d be coaching. I don’t know. I’d be coaching or cooking. I like cooking.

“This is going to sound really stupid, but I never gave it any thought. I put all my eggs in this basket. I have my education so not all my eggs – I didn’t go pro right away – but I didn’t give it much thought.”

2. When did you come to the United States and why?
“I came to the United States when I was 18. It was a stepping stone. I didn’t really plan on graduating, but my parents wanted me to so I had to honor them and take the opportunity of higher education in the United States. It’s not comparable to many things, so it’s a full scholarship and I took the opportunity well and I took care of my parents and their wishes and now I’m taking care of my dreams.”

3. How did you end up at the University of Connecticut?
“They recruited me, but the funny thing is there were two Trinidadians who played at UConn before me and they won a national championship, Brent Rhyham and Darren Lewis, and I looked up to both of them when I was growing up, especially Brent. I always watched TV and it would be snowing and you could see their breath. I was like, ‘Why not go to a school that’s going to be cold to prepare myself?’ UConn was my dream school and one day they came to see us play and my dream came true.

“I’m still living my dream to this day.”

4. You’ve been traded several times. What’s the hardest part about going through that?
“It’s the feeling of being rejected and not wanted, but the more times you get traded you realize it’s that the other team wants you more than the team that has you. You get to flip it a little bit in your mind and say, ‘Wow, this team really wants me and this team really didn’t value me that much.’ You flip it like that.

“The other hard thing is the first couple times I was in a relationship so if you’re in a relationship it’s very difficult. I still thank God I didn’t have a family. A wife and kids, I can only assume it’s even more difficult with that.”

5. In the last year, you’d had shoulder surgery and suffered a collapsed lung. What have those experiences taught you about yourself?
“I kept my faith during all of this. I believe in God strongly and with prayers and belief and faith, I think I made it through. I fought it along the way and I’ve struggled mentally and stuff like that. This is no doubt one of the most difficult years of my career, if not the (most difficult) with injuries and everything. Sometimes you substitute your pain and express it on the field, so when you’re injured you’re not able to do that. You have to pull your strength and exhaust your energy so that you’re not spending time thinking about stuff.

“I kept my faith, man, and God definitely helped me through this. I learned that I’m a pretty strong person.”

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Five questions with...Julius James
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2012, 11:05:19 AM »
Good stuff Julius, keep working man. Positive.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
MLS Comeback Player of the Year Nominee: Julius James
« Reply #53 on: October 25, 2012, 05:53:09 PM »
MLS Comeback Player of the Year Nominee: Julius James
TheCrew.com

After returning from major shoulder surgery in the offseason, Julius James suffered a collapsed lung in early April during a practice session, sending him to the hospital for emergency treatment.

Despite his lengthy recovery, James has worked his way back into the team during the Crew’s end of season run, playing in 12 matches this year on the backline. Additionally, the central defender has battled further shoulder ailments down the stretch.

In spite of these difficulties, James continues to be a steady contributor to the club’s defensive efforts, and his recovery has been a welcome sight for the Crew organization and its fans.

The Trinidad & Tobago International is a deserving candidate for 2012 MLS Comeback Player of the Year.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/4joaAvB6H-k" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/4joaAvB6H-k</a>
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 06:46:21 PM by Flex »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
San Antonio Scorpions add Julius James to roster
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2014, 06:16:48 AM »
San Antonio Scorpions add Julius James to roster
By Dan McCarney (mysanantonio.com)

The Scorpions have further fortified their roster with the signing of veteran defender Julius James and a pair of full-season loans from Major League Soccer’s San Jose Earthquakes, midfielder Sam Garza and goalkeeper David Bingham.

Manager Alen Marcina said James, who played 16 games with NASL’s Carolina last season after a multi-year stint in MLS, will start at right back in Saturday’s home exhibition match against FC Dallas.

Said team president Howard Cornfield, “We’re thrilled to have him. We’re fortunate to get a good player, and on top of that he adds character and experience.”

Bingham, 24, has made five senior appearances since joining the Earthquakes in 2011. Garza, also 24, has played in 11 matches since arriving two years ago. Both could be recalled by the parent club at any point, but Marcina said he expects them to compete for starting roles with the Scorpions.

“They’re very, very good players,” Marcina said. “They’re guys who need games, minutes.”

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: San Antonio Scorpions add Julius James to roster
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2014, 06:24:48 AM »
Was expecting him to go MLS, but say what, good luck anyway, he go link up with Jonathan Fana.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2014, 06:27:45 AM »
Was expecting him to go MLS, but say what, good luck anyway, he go link up with Jonathan Fana.

Actually, he was originally supposed to sign with Thai Premier League club, Singhtarua FC, but dey couldn't come to an agreement.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2014, 11:05:29 AM »
Really liked this player. Would love to see him playing at a higher level consistently.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Julius James accuses Calvano of intentional kick
« Reply #58 on: April 17, 2014, 05:42:57 AM »
Julius James accuses Calvano of intentional kick
By Dan McCarney (mysanantonio.com)

The latest Scorpions-Minnesota United matchup was little more than 20 minutes old when the latest bit of mayhem in a rivalry already filled to the brim took place:

* United’s Tiago Calvano kicked Scorpions defender Julius James in the back of the head in pursuit of a loose ball.

* James reacted in a rage, shoving Calvano down being swept up in a scrum of players.

* Calvano, after some requisite play-acting, was shown a yellow card for dangerous play, while James was sent off with a straight red that left the Scorpions down a man for the final 66 minutes of their 2-0 loss last Saturday at Toyota Field.

James accepted a portion of the blame on Tuesday, saying he felt “sad” and “really, really disappointed” to have contributed to a defeat that already puts the Scorpions in jeopardy in the NASL’s nine-game spring season. But he also accused Calvano of provoking him with an “obvious” intentional kick.

“Right as it happened, this is not to be dramatic,” he said, “but I felt like that was a direct attack on my career and my life. The good thing about it, I saw after I headed it, ‘Wow, this guy is still coming for my head.’ At the last moment, I saw it and I ducked my head.”

“I felt bad for my reaction. My reaction…it happened. I landed, and I pushed him down, and I was like what the explicit are you doing. That’s the most dangerous play you can do for a soccer player. He actually walked across and told coach (Alen Marcina) that I punched him in the face. But I didn’t. I just pushed his shoulders, and then all their players came across and the referee made his decision.”

“When somebody does something nasty like that, it’s terrible for the sport, it’s terrible for life, it’s terrible for everything. You don’t want to play the sport and think somebody would willingly do something like this. If you watch the clip, you would see he saw me coming and he followed through.”

“I want to publicly tell the fans this is not a losing organization. We work our (butts) off every day in practice. The performance, even though we lost, we worked hard and I’m proud of the guys. I’m not sure if I should apologize this time, because after seeing the clip a second time I don’t know anyone else who wouldn’t go after the guy for his decision to go after my head like that.”

Red cards come with an automatic one-match suspension in the NASL. Scorpions president Howard Cornfield said the team lodged an appeal to the league’s infractions committee, which meets every Wednesday, but was not overly hopeful to have the suspension overturned for Saturday’s match at Atlanta.

From this vantage point, it seems pretty clear that Calvano really clocked James in a vulnerable spot, and his ensuing embellishment was unbecoming at best. But it should be noted that neither Marcina or teammate Danny Barrera mounted much of a defense when it came to James’ reaction.

“Obviously, a red card…soccer is so unpredictable, you can never see that coming,” Barrera said. “Yeah, it looked like a high kick, almost hit him in the head. Just a bad reaction by Julius. I think he put the referee in a tough situation. It could have gone either way and it didn’t go our way.”

Said Marcina, “It’s hard (to tell if it was intentional.) We’re not in the moment, in the spot. The tape, maybe it’s not the full picture. All I know is that it’s an unfortunate circumstance and guys played well for 65, 70 minutes a man down.”

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/ijq7Jz3w--M?start=40" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/ijq7Jz3w--M?start=40</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 17, 2014, 06:36:33 AM »
Evidence doesn't look good for James on that :(

1]; } ?>