April 23, 2024, 01:37:26 PM

Author Topic: Sir Alex: "Premier league is the strongest in Europe!"  (Read 2774 times)

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Sir Alex: "Premier league is the strongest in Europe!"
« on: March 12, 2008, 09:09:17 AM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=515897&cc=5901

The Premier League is the best in Europe, according to Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson.

England has become the first country to have four teams in the Champions League quarter-finals after Liverpool defeated Inter Milan in Italy yesterday to join United, Arsenal and Chelsea in Friday's draw.

Ferguson told MUTV: 'The Premier League is the strongest in Europe.

'For a spell it was the Spanish league - I remember about seven or eight years ago they had three teams in the semi-finals.

'Spanish football was really strong but I think the English game has now reached that level.

'We now have a 40% chance of being drawn against an English team, which is a measure of the quality of this division.'

United have never experienced an all-English tie in the Champions League but the manager is relaxed about that possible scenario.

He said: 'Once the format changed and three or four teams from each country were allowed into the competition, it was inevitable that they would face each other at some point.

'So I am always geared to playing against an English team. It doesn't matter who we get in the quarter-finals.

'Knowing who you'll get in the semi-finals as well is an incentive, but we'll take what we get.'
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Re: Sir Alex: "Premier league is the strongest in Europe!"
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 09:33:03 AM »
These things go in cycles in the early and mid 2000's it was Spain, now its the Premier turn.

This season no one can really argue that unless all of them fail at the next hurdle, which I can't see happening (and even that may not be the deciding factor)
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:36:24 AM »
Tough to rank leagues from top to bottom, but it's hard to argue against the EPL's top four being on average, the most competitive top 4 in Europe....

Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 09:39:00 AM »
Is tough to be playin 10 vs 11
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 09:57:30 AM »

das yuh side fault
 plus yuh feel yuh was beating them 3 nil? or getting extra time n penalties??

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 10:05:14 AM »

Even if it was 11 vs 11, Inter weren't have one.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 10:26:45 AM »
No other league in Europe has a top 4 that is as strong in European competition over the past 4 years. The thing is, you can't judge the whole league based on that..But even looking at the top teams in Europe, the success thus far of the top 4 can be a little misleading. The teams in the CL are the best teams from last season. Notice, In England, last season't top 4 are still this season's top 4. In Spain and Italy..that is not the case. So if we are taking about the league now..using the CL is arguably a little misleading. For example...would Juve make it to the QFs of the CL based on their current from..Would Villareal? Maybe...maybe not. Milan and Sevilla for example, aren't even in the top 4 of their leagues this season. If you serious about the sdiscussion, you should at least ask yourself that question.

The EPL teams also knocked out 2 Serie A teams, but didn't knock out any La Liga teams. So can you really make a direct comparison between the two. We'd be singing a different tune if Sevilla and Barca met EPL teams and beat them. However, based on recent form..that is not very likely. But like I said, those are question I think are worth asking before you jump to a conclusion. In the end..it is hard to argue against the observation that in the last 4 years, the top 4 in the EPL are stronger than any top 4 in Europe.

After that it's hard to judge the top leagues from top to bottom. The success of La Liga teams in the UEFA Cup over the past few years was perhaps an indication that Spain had the highest level when you drop down just below the CL places. But that isn't looking to be the case this season. The EPl teams look good in the UEFA too..only struggling against teams that are currently in the top 3 or 4 in their respective leagues. Hats off to the EPL.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 12:03:30 PM »
These things go in cycles in the early and mid 2000's it was Spain, now its the Premier turn.

This season no one can really argue that unless all of them fail at the next hurdle, which I can't see happening (and even that may not be the deciding factor)

Good post.

Filho you also make some very astute points...less turnover at the top in the EPL points to less dynamism up and down the ranks.  Dynamism isn't something that's lacking in Europe, the leagues are competitive top to bottom.  So top to bottom that competitiveness may point to greater overall strength...but hard to say without a head to head match up which is the most objective measure.

It doesn't help a league like Serie A however that a team like Juve could be relegated for a year, come back up and seemingly not miss a beat even despite the huge financial and talent hit they incurred.

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
Given the fact that an English team has been in the finals the last three seasons is a good indication of the strength of the league.

Plus Everton, Tottenham, and bolton are all in the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 01:19:01 PM »
A big question is whether or not English football is benefiting from the strength of the league. The English nat'l team is pretty much where it usually stands in Europe (some would argue worse off). There was a time when the Spanish league was considered the strongest, and people always pondered the reason why the Spanish nat'l team didn't mirror that strength. I guess the answer is kind of obvious- the leagues & teams are made stronger by international infiltration.  But how do the domestic nat'l teams capitalize on this without restrictions that in turn would harm the league and bring them back to square one. I'm pretty sure that every Englishman is proud to boast of having the strongest league in Europe, but at the some time, they must get tired of the empty bragging & boasting that doesn't transition itself into Nat'l team success.... :-\
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 02:33:41 PM »
My League Is Better Than Yours
Liverpool’s triumph in Milan on Tuesday night – the second by an English side within one week – has once again provoked intense debate between fans of Europe’s leading leagues. Does having four English sides in the Champions League quarter-finals point to the Premier League’s superiority? Does one remaining participant apiece prove La Liga and Serie A are losing their touch?

'Best’ is a virtually impossible term to define.  The one thing that is certain is that there are four big leagues in Europe, four leagues where the overwhelming majority of professional footballers aspire to play.  (Those of you who look down on the Bundesliga may wish to note that the captain of Brazil and the World Cup golden boot winner play there, and at Euro 2008 Spain’s will probably be the only squad not to feature a Germany-based player). 

Of these four leagues, each is superior in its own way.  If you like fast football and intense challenges, England is for you.  If it’s skill and intricate football you’re after you’re probably into Spain.  Italy leads the way technically and tactically while Germany boasts the highest goals-per-game ratio and the biggest attendances of any league in the world.  They all have something to offer.   

But in terms of assessing a whole league’s quality, the Champions League isn’t necessarily the best indicator.  Sure, it gives a rough guide.  But it’s not a science.  First of all, the Champions League is a cup competition and therefore not indicative of a league.  Liverpool have outperformed United in recent seasons, Roma have bettered Inter – not so domestically. 

Indeed, anyone who believes results in a cup reveal whose league is strongest may wish to consider this year’s FA Cup – by that definition the Championship is stronger than the Premiership.  It’s not, of course.

Fans use European performances to back up the case for their championship being the greatest as and when it suits them.  Right now, the English are proclaiming theirs is the superior competition – four out of eight quarter-finalists proves it.  But flash back to 2004: the English were still maintaining the Premier League was the greatest in the world at a time when England had managed only one Champions League finalist in the 12 or so years since the competition began.   

Additionally, the Champions League features only the very top teams.  In my opinion, one of the reasons for strong English performances in recent years is that it’s consistently the same quartet taking part, and a very rich quartet at that.  Italy may have Lazio representing it one year, Udinese the next; Spain has served up Deportivo, Villareal, Real Betis and Sevilla alongside the usual heavyweights. 

These teams tend to come and go, even if they excel in their one or two seasons in Europe.  One might suggest that the competition of La Liga is such that for these sides it’s impossible to combine a good European run with the domestic form needed to recapture that Champions League spot.  Liverpool and Arsenal were fairly abysmal in the Premiership last season but still finished third and fourth without any problems. 

And what about the rest of the league?  English success in Europe has little to do with Derby County, Wigan or Fulham.  If we’re judging whole leagues by Champions League performance then the Scottish Premier League, with Celtic and Rangers, could be adjudged roughly on a par with the Bundesliga. 

Pitting eighth or tenth place from the respective leagues against each other would almost certainly reveal that’s not true.  The recent mauling Bayern gave Aberdeen in Munich would back that up.  You could argue that the comparison isn’t fair, that Bayern are European heavyweights.  But then you couldn’t imagine Celtic ever finishing fourth in their domestic league, as Bayern did last year, no matter how poorly they played. 

The fact is that some leagues are characterised by a few dominant teams year after year, while others see the wealth spread more evenly as teams flit between Champions League qualification and relegation dogfights.  One makes for better European performances, the other - depending on who you support - for a more interesting and refreshing domestic campaign. 

Either way, it’s hard to quantify exactly which would signify the ‘best’ league.  If AC Milan struggle in Serie A, is it because the competition is tough or because the Rossoneri are poor?  I don’t know which is the best league in the world.  In truth I don’t care as long as they serve up entertaining fare. 

Logically, if players want to keep playing in and having a realistic shot at winning the Champions League (and I stress ‘if’ because plenty of players have ditched regular Champions League participants from other countries in favour of sides in the biggest leagues not involved in Europe), there is no room for one dominant league in the world. 

There needs to be between eight and a dozen sides with genuine European title prospects to accommodate all the world’s best players.  Unless UEFA alters its rules drastically, they won’t all be coming from one country.

Chris Williams

http://goal.com/en/articolo.aspx?contenutoid=618849
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 02:45:56 PM »

das yuh side fault
 plus yuh feel yuh was beating them 3 nil? or getting extra time n penalties??

MY side?  ??? ::)
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

d_#1Trinba

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 04:18:10 PM »
Y'all dont remember Lyon-Lens in 2001 last journey of the championnat coly vs govou...the final boy...if someone have this game on tape im willing to exchange it for a championnat match of 2009.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2008, 05:06:12 PM »
As someone said, these things goes in cycles. It just the English time to be on top. How long will it last is the question. The other thing someone mentioned is the benefits to English players and their national team. Let's see if the qualify for the WC, then we may settle the debate of the pros and con of foreigners.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2008, 05:35:51 PM »
I eh care what Alex Ferguson says ... top to bottom I just cyah see it ...

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 11:29:30 AM »

same thing trophies and medals prove it, fellas liek to talk about BIG side, when sometimes a good team does great things, look at Greece in the euros

so four english teams in the last 8 is good, but unless its an all english semis and finals it doh mean squat last 16 of champs league is cup style anything can happen.

as for the english national team, pure bull tata saying foreginers and too many of them spoil the national side, pure horse shite, if the englsih crop of tallent were good enough (and they are) they be playing in all leagues in europe, fact remains they are over priced, over hyped, under motivated and under educated.

until the FA sorts it shit out and the transfer market economics settles, you won;t see an improvement in English national sides performances

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »

same thing trophies and medals prove it, fellas liek to talk about BIG side, when sometimes a good team does great things, look at Greece in the euros

so four english teams in the last 8 is good, but unless its an all english semis and finals it doh mean squat last 16 of champs league is cup style anything can happen.

as for the english national team, pure bull tata saying foreginers and too many of them spoil the national side, pure horse shite, if the englsih crop of tallent were good enough (and they are) they be playing in all leagues in europe, fact remains they are over priced, over hyped, under motivated and under educated.

until the FA sorts it shit out and the transfer market economics settles, you won;t see an improvement in English national sides performances

add to that the fact that all the top teams have foreign coaches and that the  top teams have few english players . The ones that are mainly english with english coaches are nowhere near the top are they ? TTo many foreigners spoil the national team ?? well where are the teams with national players and coaches in england ?

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
It is becoming increasingly more difficult to judge a country's national team on the success of its domestic league. The fact that these national teams spend very little time together preparing for matches means that their ultimate success is usually decided by the extraordinary ability of a few individuals or a couple others who "ketch form".

National teams have very little opportunity to develop the chemistry that club teams have.

In terms of deciding which league is the best I guess we would need to have a few more UEFA leagues such as:

– a relegation league for all teams in the relegation zone
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 02:12:06 PM »

add to that the fact that all the top teams have foreign coaches and that the top teams have few english players . The ones that are mainly english with english coaches are nowhere near the top are they ? TTo many foreigners spoil the national team ?? well where are the teams with national players and coaches in england ?

Respect always for Owen Hargreaves

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 03:10:04 PM »
A big question is whether or not English football is benefiting from the strength of the league. The English nat'l team is pretty much where it usually stands in Europe (some would argue worse off). There was a time when the Spanish league was considered the strongest, and people always pondered the reason why the Spanish nat'l team didn't mirror that strength. I guess the answer is kind of obvious- the leagues & teams are made stronger by international infiltration.  But how do the domestic nat'l teams capitalize on this without restrictions that in turn would harm the league and bring them back to square one. I'm pretty sure that every Englishman is proud to boast of having the strongest league in Europe, but at the some time, they must get tired of the empty bragging & boasting that doesn't transition itself into Nat'l team success.... :-\

Very excellent point. While the current champs league results do suggest that the EPL can boast about having the most competitive top 4 in Europe, this definitely has a lot to do with the foreign contributions to these teams. All of the EPL's top 4 have a relatively high percentage of non-English players, added to the fact that they all have foreign managers. It therefore does not say much about the strength of English football as a whole.
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 04:10:32 PM »
The premiership is mainly 4 teams... de others is just cannon fodder... to see who will beat the rest by goal for, against and win lose or draw.... Other than them top teams... in de EPL... the rest cannot compete in Europe.... Little can be said about the other teams that don't compete in Europe...I know Keane sorry that Southampton did not ask them for Chopra instead of Stern.... please Sunderland win some games....

England National team is a joke.... if you were a comedian (performing outside england) all you have to do is hit them the one liner "Lets talk about England National team in a serious manner..." and the audience will be in laughter... You invented the game... cannot even qualify for a Euro Tourney... and at your world cup you win 2 games from a free kick specialist... and a the other with a bodi pulling on ah man locks like you want to climb the runners....

In terms of hard hitting and football with pace that is my league.... but since I install comcast... all ah does get is Fulham games and I have to say... after seeing them play week in week out... I rather watch de man who does paint landscapes for 30 mins on MPT....

but ah watching Barca and sometimes they does help ah retired ball peong like myself...

EPL Team owners are the best in europe period...

(btw ah jess come back from Boston and feeling a bit anti English)
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:14:15 PM by forever trini »

Offline GunnerStunner

• Mr Gunner
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
The premiership is mainly 4 teams... de others is just cannon fodder... to see who will beat the rest by goal for, against and win lose or draw.... Other than them top teams... in de EPL... the rest cannot compete in Europe.... Little can be said about the other teams that don't compete in Europe...I know Keane sorry that Southampton did not ask them for Chopra instead of Stern.... please Sunderland win some games....

England National team is a joke.... if you were a comedian (performing outside england) all you have to do is hit them the one liner "Lets talk about England National team in a serious manner..." and the audience will be in laughter... You invented the game... cannot even qualify for a Euro Tourney... and at your world cup you win 2 games from a free kick specialist... and a the other with a bodi pulling on ah man locks like you want to climb the runners....

In terms of hard hitting and football with pace that is my league.... but since I install comcast... all ah does get is Fulham games and I have to say... after seeing them play week in week out... I rather watch de man who does paint landscapes for 30 mins on MPT....

but ah watching Barca and sometimes they does help ah retired ball peong like myself...

EPL Team owners are the best in europe period...

(btw ah jess come back from Boston and feeling a bit anti English)

too right look at what Arsenals board and Arsene Wenger have done to transform that club, and without over extending thier finances.

this was done post and parallel to the singular success that Manchester created, Manchester did it first and therefor had less "Classy" opposition to contend with.

Arsenal followed on their heels, Liverpool always promised but rarely delivered, and Chelsea did the the way most South American beauty queens do it, with money.

so now a few years later we can see why "English" clubs are dominant in Europe. Arsenal are still English owned (majority) and football is still an entertainment sport, you need to win competitions to maintain and expand fan bases draw, crowd and sponsorships to afford and attract the best players to continue to provide beautiful performances in the sport.

so for all you anti limeys out there remember arsenal plays the best fotball in europe manchester dominates teams liverpool i spot luck and chelsea grinds out results, whats so boring about that?

Offline PantherX

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2008, 02:55:30 PM »
Right now the Premiership is clearly the richest league but the being the best is another matter entirely.

When English teams start winning the Champions League and UEFA Cup on a regular basis then they could talk about being the best.

1]; } ?>