April 29, 2024, 02:10:17 AM

Author Topic: Carlos Returns Tonight  (Read 4047 times)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
Carlos Returns Tonight
« on: March 12, 2008, 10:51:53 AM »
http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=14409

Edwards gets reserves go-ahead
[/color][/size]

By Nick Alexander

Carlos Edwards will make his long-awaited return from injury for Sunderland's reserves tonight.

The winger has not played a Premier League game since December 1 having been sidelined with a broken leg.

But after proving his fitness in training in the last week, the Trinidad and Tobago international is ready to make a comeback.

It has been a nightmare season for the 29-year-old who played a massive part in helping the Black Cats win promotion last season.

Hamstring and leg injuries have restricted him to just five appearances for Roy Keane's side this season.

If Edwards comes through tonight's game without any problems, he could enter into Keane's thought for Saturday's visit of Chelsea.

Marton Fulop, Liam Miller Stephen Wright, Jean-Yves M'voto, Ian Harte and Roy O'Donovan are also due to feature against Manchester United in Hetton (kick-off 7pm). O'Donovan himself is on his way back from injury.

Gary Neville, Tomasz Kuszczak and Danny Simpson are in United's squad for the game.

Simpson played 14 games for Sunderland during a loan period at the club last season - and never finished on the losing side.

Sunderland (from): Fulop, Carson, Brown, Wright, Pelter, M'voto, McShane, Harte, Edwards, Weir, J. Richardson, Miller, O'Donovan, Chandler, Dennehy, Cook.

Offline SOBRIQUET

• Hero Warrior
  • Intercol Champion 94' w/ Princes Town
    • View Profile
Re: Carlos Returns Tonight
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 11:28:25 AM »
he is we arjen robben... by next week, he should be back in the training room.... jokes jokes....

Welcome back Carlos. hope yuh could stay fit and show yuh quality to the world.....
...with Blacksmith, Dogfoot, Jurawan and dem

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »
Kev, does the game start in 1/2 hour?
any links? Thanks

May the Gods favour you from now on to stay healthy...peace
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trini boi

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 12:36:36 PM »
would love to see him in first match back  :)

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 03:16:38 PM »
Late Harte Penalty Hands Reserves Man U Win 
Wednesday, 12 March 2008 21:03 
Sunderland Reserves needed an Ian Harte penalty to secure a 1-0 home win over Manchester United tonight.

Carlos Edwards played for an hour as the reserves fought hard against a similarly strong United side, but the game's only goal came from the spot with just six minutes left, after United defender David Gray was shown a red card for a handball in the box.

Edwards came close to scoring just before half time, putting a shot just straight at Tomasz Kuszczak after Roy O'Donovan had won the ball on 43 minutes.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:18:39 PM »
60 minutes, unscathed

niceness

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2008, 03:46:42 PM »
Kev, does the game start in 1/2 hour?
any links? Thanks

May the Gods favour you from now on to stay healthy...peace

Sorry I hadn't seen a reply logged out, no links unless you have Manu channel.

As above played 60 minutes looked rusty as you would expect, but at least he came through it OK which was the main worry.

Should see him on Saturday at some point i would of thought

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2008, 05:08:11 PM »
Good luck, Carlos. Concentrate on your fitness and recovery. TT can wait.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2008, 07:30:12 PM »
Keep fit and no more injuries please
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2008, 07:33:10 PM »
Late Harte Penalty Hands Reserves Man U Win 
Wednesday, 12 March 2008 21:03 
Sunderland Reserves needed an Ian Harte penalty to secure a 1-0 home win over Manchester United tonight.

Carlos Edwards played for an hour as the reserves fought hard against a similarly strong United side, but the game's only goal came from the spot with just six minutes left, after United defender David Gray was shown a red card for a handball in the box.

Edwards came close to scoring just before half time, putting a shot just straight at Tomasz Kuszczak after Roy O'Donovan had won the ball on 43 minutes.
nice.....
very nice
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2008, 05:12:00 AM »
Edwards in bid for a cats return.
By: Luke Edwards, The Journal.

Carlos Edwards put himself in contention for a timely return to the Sunderland team to face Chelsea on Saturday with a 60-minute run-out for the reserves who beat Manchester United 1-0 last night.

Edwards has not featured for the Black Cats since he broke his leg against Derby County at the Stadium of Light at the start of December and has been a big loss for the Wearsiders.

But manager Roy Keane, who was watching his return to action against a Manchester United side which included England international Gary Neville and former Sunderland loanee Danny Simpson, will be delighted to welcome him back into the first-team picture having been starved of his service for virtually the entire campaign because of injury.

The Trinidad and Tobago international was plagued by a persistent hamstring problem at the start of the season and has managed only five first-team appearances in the Premier League. Edwards was a pivotal figure in the Black Cats’ return to the top flight last season and Keane admitted at the start of the week that his loss had been acutely felt by the Wearsiders as they struggle to avoid another immediate return to the Championship.

Despite his successful run-out for the second string, however, it remains to be seen whether Keane is willing to start with Edwards on Saturday as he is bound to be short of match fitness after three months on the sidelines. Edwards did not over-exert himself in front a crowd of more than 1,000 people at the Eppleton Colliery Welfare Ground last night, but showed a glimpse of the threat he will hopefully bring to the Sunderland first team when he darted on to the ball after Roy O’Donovan had cleverly stolen it from centre-back Gerard Pique. With James Chester getting back to cover the threat, Edwards drifted past him, dragging the ball on to his weaker left foot.

The winger caught his shot well enough, but Tomas Kuszczak made a good save, palming the ball away to safety. That though was a rare piece of excitement in a dismal first-half as most supporters appeared to be more concerned with keeping warm than being entertained by the football.

The only other decent chance fell to Manchester United striker Daniel Welbeck when he ran on to a long pass from Sam Hewson but, having been put clear of Paul McShane, he failed to keep his shot down and Márton Fülöp did not even need to make a save.

The second half was little better, although Neville did force a decent stop from Fülöp shortly after Edwards had been replaced by Jake Richardson, charging forward from right-back only to see his shot blocked at the near post. McShane might have won it for the Black Cats when he met Richardson’s corner with a firm header, but with Tomasz Kuszczak beaten, Chris Eagles did his job on the near post and cleared off the line.

It mattered not, Ian Harte converting from the spot after David Gray had been sent off for fisting Jordan Cook’s header over the bar after Kuszcazk had saved from Jamie Chandler.

Sunderland (4-4-2): - Fulop, Wright, M'Voto, McShane, Harte, Edwards (Richardson 60), Weir, Miller, Dennehy, O'Donovan (Cook 60), Chandler.

Subs not used: Carson, Pelter, Brown.

Manchester United (4-4-2): - Kuszczak, Neville (Gray 73), Pique, Chester, Simpson, Cleverley, Eagles, Possebon, Welbeck, Hewson, Evans (Barnes 80). Subs not used: Zieler, Lea, Fagan.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2008, 06:06:15 AM »

Carlos Edwards put himself in contention for a timely return to the Sunderland team to face Chelsea on Saturday with a 60-minute run-out for the reserves Sunderland who beat Manchester United 1-0 last night.
eh
smalls
watch de danger ;) :D ;D
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2008, 06:46:10 AM »
good....blessings to you Carlos
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2008, 07:59:48 AM »

Carlos Edwards put himself in contention for a timely return to the Sunderland team to face Chelsea on Saturday with a 60-minute run-out for the reserves Sunderland who beat Manchester United 1-0 last night.
eh
smalls
watch de danger ;) :D ;D

hah .. you better read through properly again.. where you scratch out reserve..  thats the only way Sunderland ever beating us

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2008, 08:04:07 AM »
hah .. you better read through properly again.. where you scratch out reserve..  thats the only way Sunderland ever beating us
not even ah small smiley man  ;D ;D or a wink nutten :devil:

I was going and put that same comment but I left it for you :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2008, 08:36:04 AM »
http://www.sunderlandecho.com/safc/Carlos-Bring-on-Chelsea.3874425.jp
Carlos: Bring on Chelsea
[/color][/size]

Carlos Edwards came through his first game since December and declared: "I'm ready for Chelsea."
It's just the boost Sunderland need as they scrap for their lives in the Premier League.

The winger has managed only five league appearances this term after the early months of the season were ravaged by a hamstring injury before Edwards broke his leg against Derby on December 1.

But he looked confident and fit after 60 minutes of last night's 1-0 reserves win over Manchester United, and many in the crowd were wondering if his early withdrawal was a hint that boss Roy Keane will use him against Chelsea on Saturday.

Edwards said: "I don't now whether it was the plan to give me just an hour, but I was just happy to get a run-out.

"I've been looking forward for a long time to getting back playing again. I've had the odd setback along the way in my recovery when things weren't going right. It seemed to take a long time before I could get back in training and that was frustrating, but these things happen in football.

"It's just a shame that I have had two long-term injuries now this season. But all I can do is be positive and hope that they are behind me now.

"I'm hoping that I will be involved against Chelsea this weekend – I'll certainly be knocking on the gaffer's door telling him that I'm ready to play.

"But obviously, I realise that he has to pick the team that he thinks is right to try get three points against Chelsea.

"I'm fit now and hopefully I can play a part until the end of the season."

Edwards was such a key figure for Sunderland last season but Keane has been starved of his services.

The manager has waited patiently for his Trinidad & Tobago flier to regain fitness and the 29-year-old seemed totally confident.

He said: "It has been much more difficult to come back from the broken leg than from the hamstring injury I had earlier in the season.

"With the torn hamstring, you know that a tackle isn't going to have a bad effect on you. But with a broken leg it is different because you know that one badly-timed tackle or challenge from behind could do you damage.

"When you have that on your mind, you always worry about getting another knock on it and it takes a while to get over that fear. But I know that it has healed properly now so that isn't a problem.

"I felt I had plenty left in the tank when I came off.

"Perhaps the gaffer gave instructions to take me off after an hour because he wants to involve me on Saturday – I honestly don't know."

Well its good to hear lets hope he can have clean run until the end of the season
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 08:44:20 AM by kev »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2008, 08:40:41 AM »
Good to see Richardson also get a run.
Whenever Sunderland get Richardson and Carlos back then KJ will have plenty ammunition.

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2008, 08:53:19 AM »
Whenever Sunderland get Richardson and Carlos back then KJ will have plenty ammunition.

That's another Richardson, not Kieran.
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »

With James Chester getting back to cover the threat, Edwards drifted past him, dragging the ball on to his weaker left foot.
Weaker ???
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2008, 09:21:33 AM »
Carlos couldn't even score or set up a goal in a reserve match and people looking at him to save Sunderland season??  What a joke!
Best he come back and play against Jamaica oui, he not making no kinda impact on that side.

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2008, 09:37:25 AM »
Carlos couldn't even score or set up a goal in a reserve match and people looking at him to save Sunderland season??  What a joke!
Best he come back and play against Jamaica oui, he not making no kinda impact on that side.

Arrow I surprised you make such a stupid statement, the man now coming off a broken laeg and prior to that hamstring, you expect him to hit bullet already! ??? ??? ??? steeupss all yuh really good oui

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2008, 09:42:17 AM »

Arrow I surprised you make such a stupid statement, the man now coming off a broken laeg and prior to that hamstring, you expect him to hit bullet already! ??? ??? ??? steeupss all yuh really good oui
Is Arrow! Why yuh bothering??
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2008, 09:48:57 AM »

Is Arrow! Why yuh bothering??
:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
oh shit Arrow ya ketch one arready man

Mose ya beat me to it...I was jez comin and say that
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2008, 09:50:53 AM »

EXTRA EXTRA READ ALL ABOUT IT .. FIVE!!!! PEOPLE FOOLED!!!!

:rotfl: :rotfl:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2008, 11:13:04 AM »

lol dumber than a brick

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #25 on: March 13, 2008, 11:39:27 AM »
lol dumber than a brick
...and another one.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 04:39:27 PM by Well Yes »

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »

That's another Richardson, not Kieran.

Oh ok tanks.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2008, 05:35:57 PM »
I see arrow post that and i nearly tell him it too early in the morning to go fishing so...

Then i just decide to watch the ride and ketch kix  :devil:

Alyuh men ent in town too long to fall for that one???

...obviously not   :rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2008, 12:03:24 AM »

Good to hear that Carlos is back.

Stay strong Edwards.

1]; } ?>