March 28, 2024, 06:33:36 AM

Author Topic: Steve David ( TnT legend)  (Read 24753 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Steve David ( TnT legend)
« on: March 13, 2008, 09:06:10 PM »
Just saw this on the Quakes forum, thought I'd share:

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 1975: Steve David NASL MVP
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 09:16:46 PM »
Steve David was the leading goalscorer in the NASL in 1975 and 1977.

Warren Archibald was MVP of the NASL in 1973.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 10:02:22 PM »
Steve should have won in MVP in 1977. They gave it to Beckenbauer. He came in mid-way in the season.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 03:18:31 PM »
Steve with George Best

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:31:27 PM »
That season, the David-Best combination was the deadliest in the NASL. Georgie had slowed considerably, but his skills was the best in the league bar none. He could stil dribble like hell. He was a great feeder of "thru balls" for Steve. Steve with he great speed use to "kill" them defenders. I had the pleasure of seeing put on a display at RFK when the Aztecs played the old Washington Diplomats. They beat the Dips 4-2 I think. Steve scored 2.  The sad part was the injury Steve had  at the end of the season. That actually messed up his career. He never completely recovered.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2008, 03:51:03 PM »
Deeks he also had a bad injury back in T&T before the NASL times (if memory serve). Steve must have been one of the quickest players back then.  Real pace to burn. His finishing became better once he entered the NASL, certainly better than when he played for Police.
Steve would just angle the run & George would slip it, Nice combo.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
After the haiti debacle, i think Steve got a try out with Sheffield Wed. That did not work out. The English were not ready for TT players. Then he got a contract with Miami Toros. Figaro and Archie was on that Miami team.  That was in 1974. That year Miami played LA Aztecs for NASL cup. Moraldo and Douglas played for LA. Moraldo was the capt. for LA.  LA won on pks. Imagine.  Five Trini in the NASL championship game.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2008, 04:40:22 PM »
After the haiti debacle, i think Steve got a try out with Sheffield Wed. That did not work out. The English were not ready for TT players. Then he got a contract with Miami Toros. Figaro and Archie was on that Miami team.  That was in 1974. That year Miami played LA Aztecs for NASL cup. Moraldo and Douglas played for LA. Moraldo was the capt. for LA.  LA won on pks. Imagine.  Five Trini in the NASL championship game.

It couldn't possibly be that he just wasn't good enough at the trial eh?

Ah mean, so many tings could have affected it....unfamilar conditions, cold, injury, not what they were looking for, or perhaps plain jes not good enough etc.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 04:54:23 PM »
Palos, That could be true also, I would not dispute that. But I honestly feel that with the exception of France and Portugal, England and the rest of Europe werre not quite ready for black players at that time. How many black English born players were in Div. 1 in the early 70's. Clyde Best(bermuda), Ade Coker(Ghana?), Miller. Maybe some Brits on the forum can elaborate.

Also, Steve was an excellent hurdler. He ran for the Police service.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 09:07:54 PM »
Palos, That could be true also, I would not dispute that. But I honestly feel that with the exception of France and Portugal, England and the rest of Europe werre not quite ready for black players at that time. How many black English born players were in Div. 1 in the early 70's. Clyde Best(bermuda), Ade Coker(Ghana?), Miller. Maybe some Brits on the forum can elaborate.

Also, Steve was an excellent hurdler. He ran for the Police service.

I think it was Leister City any way it does not matter. At the time Europe was closed limited to two foreigners & later changed to  three. It was tough back then to make it.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 10:06:44 PM »
Eman great find.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2008, 11:41:21 AM »
I read in one of the football magazines back then,where George Best said that Steve David was the only player who cold make a bad pass look good and I suspect that had alot to do with his speed

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008, 10:21:13 PM »
Found in Soccer Digest, May 1980, Vol.3, No.1

« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 04:34:38 PM by E-man »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2008, 10:36:53 PM »
You know I throw 'way all them NASL magazine I used to have?

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2008, 10:48:18 PM »
Steve David was the leading goalscorer in the NASL in 1975 and 1977.

Warren Archibald was MVP of the NASL in 1973.

Steve David had a strike rate in '75 of 23 goals in 21 games and in'77- 26 goals in 24 games.
Lincoln was top goalie in 1970 . De Leon, Gally, Steve David and Archie lit up the NASL.

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/NASL_Awards_History.htm

http://home.att.net/~nasl/leaders.htm
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008, 11:15:08 PM by takenoprisoners »

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 09:55:35 AM »
so here nah, in '77 de man score more goal than Pele, Best and Chinaglia?!?!? me eh care whether dey was past dey prime or whatever.....dat it still an quite achievement.
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008, 09:56:55 AM »
If I am not mistake Steve score 13 goals in 11 games for T&T
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2008, 10:22:23 AM »
If I am not mistake Steve score 13 goals in 11 games for T&T
16 goals (including two hat-tricks)  in 15 games.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2008, 03:29:24 PM »
Steve had track and field speed. I think he was the quick stiker TT has ever had. I also think Maurice Aliby had some speed also.

Offline dspfootballer

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2008, 04:48:01 PM »
It just ashame World missed an opportunity to see the Trinidad and Tobago World Cup team.  It obvious to me the member of this team when on to distinguish themself of the beautiful game.

Members of this team should be given the highest awarded the Trinidad and Tobago have.

The powers that be should implore that FIFA this team be qualify status for World Cup 1974 that FIFA records show one refree and one lineman were suspended and banded respactively.

If the IOC can redress medal for cheating why FIFA cannot recongnize the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago World Cup team of 1974? 

I challenge TTFA and Jack Warner to take up this charge.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2008, 04:50:53 PM »
It just ashame World missed an opportunity to see the Trinidad and Tobago World Cup team.  It obvious to me the member of this team when on to distinguish themself of the beautiful game.

Members of this team should be given the highest awarded the Trinidad and Tobago have.

The powers that be should implore that FIFA this team be qualify status for World Cup 1974 that FIFA records show one refree and one lineman were suspended and banded respactively.

If the IOC can redress medal for cheating why FIFA cannot recongnize the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago World Cup team of 1974? 

I challenge TTFA and Jack Warner to take up this charge.
:applause:
POST of the year
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2008, 05:12:08 PM »
DSPfootballer,

how is FIFA going to do that. With Jack dey, there will no redress. Remember Spoiler calypso about a judge who had to judge himself for a traffic violation? FIFA officials don't step out of line with one another. No sireee!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »

another photo of Steve as a Quake with Peter Lecherman and Best in the foreground.

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2008, 09:53:02 PM »

It couldn't possibly be that he just wasn't good enough at the trial eh?

Ah mean, so many tings could have affected it....unfamilar conditions, cold, injury, not what they were looking for, or perhaps plain jes not good enough etc.

No,maybe, and definately NO again.
Ah will give yuh 'unfamilar conditions, cold, injury ',but when yuh say ' not what they were looking for' .Wha yuh telling meh , dey din want tuh take de chance on ah speedy, talanted goal scorer ? Or that dey just din want tuh take de chance on ah Black foreign player ? I tend tuh believe de latter. Regardless he never got the chance to complete even ah half of season with them so who knows what cudda be.However one thing for sure, he was definately that 'good enough'.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 09:59:27 PM by berris »
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 08:17:34 PM »
Steve with George Best

Here's a match report against the Cosmos

Aztecs make good for 32,165 as David rolls on
Source: Star-News
Date Published:  1977-07-03
Author: Joe Hendrickson

"We catch Aztec different," said Pele 1,000 autographs and friendly smiles after his New York Cosmos took a 4-1 licking from the Los Angeles Aztecs before 32,165 enthusiastic soccer fans at the Coliseum Saturday afternoon. Pele was held scoreless.

Soccer made a big stride upward in the Southland when the home team decided to play its best game before the second-largest soccer crowd in Coliseum history, 1,000 short of a new mark.

This reporter, not accustomed to the soccer beat, enjoyed a very interesting reporting assignment starting with the press box menu — white wine and hot dogs. I can't remember having wine in the Coliseum hamburger and peanut room.

Anyone in the media profession who thinks soccer is a second-rate sport would have been enlightened by the action. It wasn't the wine that made the play look good. It was the skill of double scorer Steve David, the class of George Best, the aggressiveness of Charlie Cooke, the play-making of Ron Davies, the defensive ability of bald-headed Terry Mancini and Martin Cohen (who "marked" Pele) plus the acrobatic goaltending of Bob Rigby and the penalty shot marksmanship of Phil Beal that made the Aztec performance have a top-drawer look.

"It was good to see those goals," said Coach Terry Fisher of the Aztecs, happy his athletes had avenged a 5-2 defeat to this team in New York just a week ago.

Same team? That isn't exactly so. The Cosmo coach Gordon Bradley did not use Franz "The Kaiser" Beckenbauer who suffered a groin pull in a game in Vancouver this week.

"Beckenbauer could have played and wanted to, but I decided it was better to have him miss a game instead of aggravating things and losing him for three more weeks," explained Bradley.

David scores twice

Without their German star to steady their play, the Cosmos lacked the brilliance of their win in New York. Pele said the team missed Franz. But Aztec superstar Best remarked, "I don't think it would have made that much difference had he played. We were on our game today. This was our best team effort. We took it to 'em and everybody contributed."

David, the Trinidad native who has scored in 10 straight games and leads the North American Soccer League with 43 points, thrilled the Aztec rooters with two goals — one on a nifty assist by Best which Steve drilled past Cosmo goalie Shep Messing and the second on a header after a perfect kick, feed from Cooke who advanced down the side after taking a sharp advance from Best.

David's first success made the score 2-0 at the 30:27 mark shortly after Beal had tallied on a penalty kick which came when New York's Werner Roth tripped David in the penalty area. Beal caught Messing guessing left and drilled it into the right corner.

New York made it 2-1 at halftime when Cohen was called for getting his hands on a Pele effort. Capable Giorgio Chinaglia just made the corner of the net with his penalty kick despite a fine Rigby effort to deflect it.

The Aztecs dominated play in the second half when Mancini headed in a Cooke kick from the side for a 3-1 lead at 61:39 and David tallied his second goal at 71:23.

'I should have four a game'

"I'm not surprised I'm scoring two goals a game," said David, who came to the Aztecs from the Miami Toros and now has 20 goals and three assists. "I should have four goals a game. I'm not putting enough chances in. I'm disappointed in myself. But I'm happy to be in Los Angeles. I wasn't happy last year."

David suffered a nasty strawberry on his knee when getting fouled prior to the Aztec penalty goal by Beal. David is a very nifty man in scoring territory, but his self-analysis is correct. He does make errors, especially in passing. This Best seldom does.

Coach Bradley of the Cosmos was asked if he now considers the Aztecs and his team the two best in the league (they lead their divisions). He replied, "If you had asked me this after our game in New York, I would have rated us far superior, but the Aztecs put their game together, and now we may have to settle it in our third meeting perhaps (in Portland where the title game would be played if both advance that far in the playoffs)."

Pele fine ambassador

Coach Fisher of the Aztecs praised his midfielder Cohen for doing a splendid job of Pele guarding, the entire Aztec team was aggressively "marking" Cosmo players, although Pele had at least two big scoring chances and missed by a narrow margin both times.

Pele is a wonderful ambassador of pro sports. He is nice to all people at all times. His coach says he is late to practices and even press conferences (including yesterday), because he wants to sign every autograph a fan requests. There, must have been 2,000 soccer fans waiting near the Cosmo bus to cheer Pele when he came up from the dressing room. He's some human being — and a colorful performer on the field.

"Yes, after 22 years, me quit this October," he said.

"We hope to see Pele one more time," declared Coach Fisher of the Aztecs. His key man Best agreed. In fact, Best believes it will be quite a game on a neutral, field.

Meanwhile, Best and his buddies must come right back to prove Saturday's performance was not a flash. The Aztecs meet last year's NASL champs, the Toronto Metros, at the Coliseum Monday afternoon.

''Sometimes it is kind of hard to keep the fireworks going," said Best of the July 4 test.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:22:56 PM by E-man »

Offline SLIM

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 08:28:36 PM »
Just saw this on the Quakes forum, thought I'd share:

So, should Steve David and Shaka be in the T and T sports Hall of Fame and Warren Archibald not be in the HOF?

SLIM

" If you not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem.
"If you think education is expensive try ignorance."

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 08:48:26 PM »
You again!!!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 10:34:51 PM »
Here's an interview when he went to LA. - Times have really changed - check his assessment of the crime in T&T (Pt Fortin anyway)

Move over Lasorda, Namath
Steve David wants to talk soccer
Source: Independent Press-Telegram
Date Published: 1977-06-05

"I thought I wouldn't like Los Angeles because I always hear about earthquakes and like that. But when I came here it was a different story. I really enjoy it." -Steve David

There's nothing like being a superstar.

"When I go home," Steve David says, "well, they don't have a parade, but a lot of people come to the airport. I see all my friends. They put it in the paper that I'm back home."

The Aztecs wish David were half as popular in Los Angeles. Steve wouldn't mind, either.

"If you go to Trinidad," he says, "and you say, 'I want to see Steve David,' you can find me. Everyone know."

The Aztecs, leading the Southern Division, would just like everyone to know they'll be playing the Dallas Tornado in a North American Soccer League match at the Coliseum today, 2 p.m. Between Tommy Lasorda and discussions of Joe Namath, it's difficult to get a word in print edgewise.

"At first I couldn't understand why soccer's always in the back page, stuck in a little corner," David says. "At home when you play a game, it's a big headline and you get a whole page. But after they explained it to me, I try to understand."

BUT STUDENTS of sport also should understand that while Ron Cey no longer leads the bigs in
home runs and Namath hasn't led in anything but interceptions lately, Steve David to the leading scorer in the NASL with 16 goals and 2 assists for 22 points.

With George Best now feeding him from midfield, the Aztecs forward is happier than a kid in a cane field, and there are employers who understand that a happy employee is a productive employee.

David's career is a classic case.

With the Miami Toros in 1975 he scored 23 goals in 23 games, the same goal-a-game pace he is on this season, and was voted the NASL's most valuable player. The next season he scored one goal.

"I had some problems," Steve says before a team practice on the backlot soccer field at Hollywood Park. "I didn't want to play. Even before the season started, I told them I wanted to be traded. But they didn't want to trade me."

So David sulked.

"They kept trading all the good players and bringing in bad players," he says, "but they wouldn't let me go. It's difficult to play in conditions like that."

THE TOROS, now the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers, are owned by Elizabeth Robbie, wife of Joe Robbie, who runs the Miami Dolphins. They were so bad (6-18) that the whole team left town.

After his miserable season, David was unloaded to the Aztecs for a measly second-round draft choice, but he didn't exactly cartwheel to L.A.

"I thought I wouldn't like Los Angeles because I always hear about earthquakes and like that," he confesses. "But when I came here it was a different story. I really enjoy it. Great bunch of guys, the coach is good, the front office treats you well."

He's not even homesick for Trinidad, the British island colony about the size of Delaware off the coast of Venezuela.

"After my first year, all this homesick stuff just wear away," says Steve. "Now I can stay away as long as I like."

DAVID, 26, was reared with four sisters and two brothers in the town of Point Fortin. His father is an engineer for Trintoc, an oil company.

"The lifestyle is different in Trinidad," he says. "Family ties are closer. You don't go to restaurants and eat. You cook your food at home. You don't leave your parents' house until you're married."

It wasn't even an easy decision for Steve to play professional soccer.

"I was a policeman," he says. "After leaving high school I had to find work and get some money to continue my education. I liked it so much I didn't want to leave to play pro soccer in '73, but in '74 I decided I should leave."

He concedes that a policeman's lot in Trinidad may be less perilous than in the U.S.

"They've got some dope but not as much as there is here. It's mostly pickpockets and things like
that.

"Once I had to chase a guy who got out of prison. I had to chase him down the river through a forest for a few miles. After an hour and 30 minutes we caught him. He was tired."

Only recently has Trinidad's underworld discovered guns.

"Just before I left," Steve says, "and they're making homemade bombs, too."

IT SEEMED LIKE a good time to go play soccer. Chances are David won't go back to police work when his playing days end, although he does plan to retire to Trinidad. Professional athletes are VIPs in the West Indies.

"They are special," Steve says. "When I finish playing and go back home I can get a job with the government."

That's why he has to be careful in discussing his relationship with teammate Martin Cohen, his roomie from South Africa. Clearly, Cohen does not practice the apartheid policy of his government.

"We never discuss it," Steve says. "I never noticed what my color was until I came here. I don't want to get mixed up in politics like that. That's the last thing my government would ever expect me to talk about."

He hopes to study architecture, completing his junior college work at El Camino.

"I'm just thinking about playing soccer, getting an education and afterward I'll go home and get a life there," he says.

He does not follow the lifestyle of his other teammate, George Best.

"There are a lot of things to do here," Steve says. "Sometimes I'll go to the races. Sometimes we'll go out to eat. Generally, what I like to do best is sleep."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 10:43:49 PM by E-man »

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 05:00:39 AM »
Here's an interview when he went to LA. - Times have really changed - check his assessment of the crime in T&T (Pt Fortin anyway)

Move over Lasorda, Namath
Steve David wants to talk soccer
Source: Independent Press-Telegram
Date Published: 1977-06-05

quote]

Interesting read! It is essential that we know and appreciate our history

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 05:03:54 AM by anbrat »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2008, 04:01:32 PM »

« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 04:13:34 PM by E-man »

1]; } ?>