March 28, 2024, 03:38:25 AM

Author Topic: Steve David ( TnT legend)  (Read 24750 times)

Offline trinimuse

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 1975: Steve David NASL MVP
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2008, 04:05:02 PM »
so... where is Steve David now ???

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »
In Point??????????

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2008, 05:26:47 PM »
so... where is Steve David now ???
He and De Leon running de Leroy De Leon/Steve David Football Academy (LSFA).
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2008, 05:44:41 PM »
caption this pic:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 05:46:34 PM »
caption this pic:

Ref, de man mash up meh "pinky winky" :devil:
this should be in the caption thread, no? ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 26, 2008, 06:31:24 PM »
socks-down days

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 26, 2008, 06:35:47 PM »
Steve David was the leading goalscorer in the NASL in 1975 and 1977.

Warren Archibald was MVP of the NASL in 1973.

Point men to the max!!!! :notworthy: :notworthy:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2008, 06:39:00 PM »
After the haiti debacle, i think Steve got a try out with Sheffield Wed. That did not work out. The English were not ready for TT players. Then he got a contract with Miami Toros. Figaro and Archie was on that Miami team.  That was in 1974. That year Miami played LA Aztecs for NASL cup. Moraldo and Douglas played for LA. Moraldo was the capt. for LA.  LA won on pks. Imagine.  Five Trini in the NASL championship game.

It couldn't possibly be that he just wasn't good enough at the trial eh?

Ah mean, so many tings could have affected it....unfamilar conditions, cold, injury, not what they were looking for, or perhaps plain jes not good enough etc.

That is talking crazy now >:( Steve and Archie and Dilly could have made ANY English team back then...that is gospel.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2008, 06:44:20 PM »
Archie for Prime Minister ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2008, 07:19:41 AM »
Just two days ago speaking with two players who played in NASL. They said Steve was blistering quick and in those days it was man marking all over the pitch. So once Steve shake his marker he is in on goal. One of them said in the early days Steve use to shoot way too early, but after the WC in 74 Steve started going around keepers when they came out. His goal tally grew rapidly after that.
Seems Steve learn a lesson from that WC.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2008, 07:21:35 AM »
caption this pic:

Ref, de man mash up meh "pinky winky" :devil:
this should be in the caption thread, no? ;D

Doh look at me nah. Because I eh holding it for yuh!

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2008, 07:31:21 AM »
caption this pic:

Hhhhhheeeellllllpppppp! Help! hhhheeellllpppp! I can't find it!
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2008, 07:41:21 AM »
caption this pic:

Steve:  Eh fellah, hard luck with dat sex ah just hit yuh, check meh in 9 months for child support.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 27, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »
Steve had track and field speed. I think he was the quick stiker TT has ever had. I also think Maurice Aliby had some speed also.

Deeks yuh probably play with Mike Grayson so yuh know the speed he had.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2008, 08:31:06 AM »
Excellent find E-man and informative thread, hard luck to the 74 team, would have been really nice to read about this growing up...
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2008, 10:33:19 PM »
for those in California. The NASL Quakes will be having a reunion and Steve David has confirmed. Sometime next year.

from bigsoccer forum:

A landmark 35 years since the first professional soccer team hit San Jose can mean only one thing...

The NASL guys are up for another reunion... Plans are in the works to get the old timers back to San Jose this coming summer of '09 to have a blast of a weekend.

All the local guys will be there and many from out-of-town have verbally committed including: Paul Child, Steve David, Tony Crescitelli, Jimmy McAlister, Godfrey Ingram, Alan Merrick, John Rowlands, Mike Hunter, George Katakalidis, Mike Sweeney, Chris Turner and many, many more!

If any of you former Western Soccer Alliance, or "ClashQuakes" are out there, get working on finding your old teammates and get them there that weekend to celebrate with the NASL'ers. In fact, we could have a reunion game of WSA/ClashQuakes vs the NASL Earthquakes that weekend if you guys don't mind getting crushed by some 55-65 year old guys?

Hopefully the MLS Schedule Gods will schedule a Saturday night match in June or July vs. the Seattle Sounders. That would be the weekend that we target...

More info to follow!!!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #46 on: July 17, 2009, 04:16:02 PM »

Former Earthquakes, Players & Fans,

We are fast approaching the 35th Anniversary Reunion which will be held on the weekend of Thursday, July 30th to Sunday, August 2nd...

Over 35 former NASL Earthquakes have registered as well as many staff members and fans.

Come join: Mike Hewitt, Paul Child, Johnny Moore, Dave Kemp, Art Welch, Mani Hernandez, Laurie Calloway, Archie Robostoof, Mark Demling, Chris Dangerfield, George Katakalidis, Godfrey Ingram, Steve David, Easy Perez, Steve Ryan, Derek Evans, Mike Sweeney and many more for what promises to be a fantastic weekend!

If you haven't met any of the former NASL Earthquakes, or you haven't had a recent chance to say hello to these former players, take this chance to do so!

REUNION WEEKEND EVENTS:

THURSDAY, JULY 30TH:
For those of you looking to start the weekend early, a very easy-going training session will be held from 5:30 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. at West Valley College in Satatoga, CA.

Immediately following, we will plan to have a post training dinner party immediately following at "The Duke of Edinburgh Pub" in Cupertino starting around 7:30 p.m.. Thanks to Stan Gamble of the Duke, he and his staff will reserve a special area for our group.

FRIDAY, JULY 31:
A golf tournament will be held starting around Noon at the Boulder Ridge Country Club located in south San Jose. The cost is $125 per person/per round which includes range balls and lunch. If you would like to play, please send an email immediately to Nick Nicholas at: visaman@peninsulavisa.com

Following golf, we will have a private party that evening at 6:00 p.m. on the back patio of the Britannia Arms Pub in downtown San Jose. Nearly all former players will be in attendance for what will be a lot of fun!

SATURDAY, AUGUST 1ST:
At 11:00 a.m., we will have a legends reunion game for all former players who care to play. This will take place at the SJSU soccer practice field across the street from Spartan Stadium.

That evening, from 7:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. we will have a large semi-formal dinner party at The Fairmont Hotel in San Jose. Over 125 former players, staff members and guests are expected to attend. The list of speakers for that evening is growing long and is very distinguished. In other words... It is going to be a magical night! Cost for dinner will be $65 per person with a no-host bar. (The deadline to register and pay for it is July 24th. There is no guarantee after that date has passed. If you are interested to attend, please send an email immediately to: ron.gilmore@cox.net

SUNDAY, AUGUST 2ND:
The MLS San Jose Earthquakes will take on the MLS Seattle Sounders FC at Buck Shaw Stadium on the campus of Santa Clara University. Kick-off is at 12:00 p.m./Noon. At halftime of the MLS match, all former NASL Earthquake players will be honored on the field in a VERY special ceremony. At the conclusion of the game, the inagural "NASL Heritage Cup" will be presented to the winning side. The "NASL Heritage Cup" is contested by teams who celebrate the history of North American soccer by taking their names from the franchises their cities held in the North American Soccer league (NASL). This award was created by Soccer Silicon Valley and is a very special way to remember the NASL!

After the game, attendees can either begin the process to head home, or attend the post-game party at a local pub for one more round as a group!

If you have any questions, suggestions, or ideas please reply, or call either of us anytime.

Respectfully,

Ron Gilmore
ron.gilmore@cox.net

Rob Gilmore
rob.gilmore@yahoo.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 17, 2009, 04:26:24 PM »
That nice. Real nice. Leroy Spann played one season for them. Also Deleon play a couple seasons for them also. By the way, I think Art Welch is from JA.

All them dinners for this 35 anniversary. Did the TTFF have a dinner for the ex TT players for the 100th anniversary

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 17, 2009, 06:25:51 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause:

E-Man, Deeks, Observer......tanks, fellas.  This is a rel nice thread to read.  I never got to see these fellas play, but I got to work with Warren Archibald right here in NYC some years ago.  I man who is very proud of his accomplishments, but not boastful and he is also very appreciative of today's (T&T) players that do well, too.  A rel nice man to talk to who wouldn't pass yuh straight no matter where on the globe you meet up with him once he know yuh.  As a couple men ad pointed out, too, it would have been real nice growing up to have been  made aware of these fellas' accomplishments.  Tanks fellas. 

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 17, 2009, 07:20:23 PM »
Yeah nice thread

:applause: :applause: :applause:

E-Man, Deeks, Observer......tanks, fellas.  This is a rel nice thread to read.  I never got to see these fellas play, but I got to work with Warren Archibald right here in NYC some years ago.  I man who is very proud of his accomplishments, but not boastful and he is also very appreciative of today's (T&T) players that do well, too.  A rel nice man to talk to who wouldn't pass yuh straight no matter where on the globe you meet up with him once he know yuh.  As a couple men ad pointed out, too, it would have been real nice growing up to have been  made aware of these fellas' accomplishments.  Tanks fellas. 
dais my boyhood football hero
but because I have two left feet I became ah 'keeper ;D
« Last Edit: July 17, 2009, 07:27:11 PM by WestCoast »
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 17, 2009, 07:20:46 PM »
Guys,
        I had the good fortune of seeing them men play. I played against Steve on two occasions. U-119 vs Seniors in Skinner's Park. I also saw Steve and George Best play for LA Aztecs in DC against the old Dips. It was a sight to behold. He scored 2 goals from George Best passes. He was heading for the NASL scoring title and possible NASL mvp, unfortunately toward the very end he got injured.

Coops is the lucky one. He played with them, so he could give us some stories about them.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 17, 2009, 10:28:15 PM »
Steve David was the leading goalscorer in the NASL in 1975 and 1977.

Warren Archibald was MVP of the NASL in 1973.

Steve David had a strike rate in '75 of 23 goals in 21 games and in'77- 26 goals in 24 games.
Lincoln was top goalie in 1970 . De Leon, Gally, Steve David and Archie lit up the NASL.

http://www.soccerhall.org/history/NASL_Awards_History.htm

http://home.att.net/~nasl/leaders.htm

Flex:
We need an interview from the ones who still around.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 18, 2009, 04:24:22 AM »
Guys,
        I had the good fortune of seeing them men play. I played against Steve on two occasions. U-119 vs Seniors in Skinner's Park. I also saw Steve and George Best play for LA Aztecs in DC against the old Dips. It was a sight to behold. He scored 2 goals from George Best passes. He was heading for the NASL scoring title and possible NASL mvp, unfortunately toward the very end he got injured.

Coops is the lucky one. He played with them, so he could give us some stories about them.
      The thing with these guys they were everybody heroes,don't matter what team you from or part of the country people loved Football so much they just wanted to see you play,i watched these guys through college with admiration,they were already representing South zone in all the big classics and giving Lincoln and them hell,obviously they did not last too long home because the were among the first set of pros to leave our shores,so i only had the opportunity to play against them in exhibition games in Mahica/Skinner Pk.
       Steve was the one i really played against a lot because he played for Police for some years,that's when Police was Police,those days Army/Police was the big game every one looked forward too,90 mins of non stop action,stop Stevie and you had it made but that was easier said than done,fortunately we used to find a way to do it because they also had their hands filled,i don't like to get into the business of who better than who but all these guys were excellent players.       

Offline College

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 18, 2009, 06:23:56 AM »
Guys,

The thing with these guys they were everybody heroes,don't matter what team you from or part of the country people loved Football so much they just wanted to see you play,i watched these guys through college with admiration,they were already representing South zone in all the big classics and giving Lincoln and them hell,obviously they did not last too long home because the were among the first set of pros to leave our shores,so i only had the opportunity to play against them in exhibition games in Mahica/Skinner Pk.
       Steve was the one i really played against a lot because he played for Police for some years,that's when Police was Police,those days Army/Police was the big game every one looked forward too,90 mins of non stop action,stop Stevie and you had it made but that was easier said than done,fortunately we used to find a way to do it because they also had their hands filled,i don't like to get into the business of who better than who but all these guys were excellent players.      

And so were you....... :beermug:

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2010, 12:28:16 AM »
Team America, 1976

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 08, 2010, 07:10:35 AM »
I wonder how many people know that Steve scored in every game of final qualification round for T&T.

1 - Surinam
1 - Honduras
1 - Haiti
1 - Guatemala
1 - Mexico
3 - Netherland Antilles

11 goals in 13 games for T&T.
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline WestCoast

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 08, 2010, 09:31:23 AM »
Steve should have won in MVP in 1977. They gave it to Beckenbauer. He came in mid-way in the season.
steuuups
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 08, 2010, 10:34:55 AM »
Judging from some of the criticsm of the NASL you'd think all they was doing was buying high-priced has-beens... but looking at the ages of these men here on (what I assume to be) the All-Star team, many of them foreigners was still in they prime.  George Best was only 29... although by then he was already on the decline due to his carousing.

Had to be more than just money (and "America") pulling dem men to the NASL... I kinda have additional respect fuh de old league.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #58 on: October 04, 2010, 10:43:02 PM »
David and Best playing cards with the Earthquakes in 1980.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/3CrKWBZeyJs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/3CrKWBZeyJs</a>

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 06, 2010, 07:41:10 AM »
*applause* Really great work in locating and sharing this footage as well as that of Warren, E-man. Would be even greater if you had found something on Leroy.

1]; } ?>