March 28, 2024, 10:04:09 AM

Author Topic: Steve David ( TnT legend)  (Read 24758 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Re: 1975: Steve David NASL MVP
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »
*applause* Really great work in locating and sharing this footage as well as that of Warren, E-man. Would be even greater if you had found something on Leroy.

Still looking for something on DeLeon. Did you see the clip on Spann in that thread?

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2010, 08:54:18 AM »
*applause* Really great work in locating and sharing this footage as well as that of Warren, E-man. Would be even greater if you had found something on Leroy.

Still looking for something on DeLeon. Did you see the clip on Spann in that thread?

No. Now that you have mentioned it, I will look for it. Thanks.

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2010, 09:06:05 AM »

Did not find the clip on Spann. Would be thankful if you would identify which thread you are referring to.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2010, 09:13:27 AM »

Did not find the clip on Spann. Would be thankful if you would identify which thread you are referring to.

http://www.socawarriors.net/forum/index.php?topic=8138.0
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Anbrat

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2010, 10:35:26 AM »
Thank you FF.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Steve David ( TnT legend)
« Reply #65 on: September 24, 2013, 08:32:02 AM »
I watched Sports Talk with Andre Baptiste ...the guest was former tnt striker Steve David.
I know Andre Baptiste dont have much fans here...but i always check the show to see who's on....

maybe missed the first couple minutes...but they replay it during the week....and I urge you to try and catch it...

of course cant remember everything....but will list a few points here

on his school football days
... St Benedicts...they were so obsessed with Brazil...they got green cloth...and some yellow...and made replica track suits like the Brazil model of the times...( 60's)

Early tnt club days...CARONI FC... 2nd on the goal scoring charts...behind Douglas ( Muhammad Saleem... he calls him Saleem...deceased ??)

Called up to the national team the next season to go to Pan Am games...1971

WCQ in HAITI... this is the first time I ever heard anyone reveal this... "WE GOT MONEY" from the Haiti President after the match ( Papa Doc ??)..

I read and heard lots about that game vz Haiti...but never heard the money part...now lets get this clear...he said... the team was poorly prepared he even added " as usual"...
lost the first match vz Honduras.. but said we were better than them...

he said he knew Haiti was the 2nd best team in the hex...they had a very good team...but tnt was very confident they would win it...he was surprised how easy tnt was making it look...so even when the goals were being disallowed...they just keep going knowing they can win it...

after the match...they begged the tnt management ( Camps/manager... Warner /Gen Sec...not sure if Warner was present) to protest the game with the FIFA/Concacaf officials...
to the surprise of the team...tnt officials "did not protest the match"....

Daivd said its only when they were invited to the presidential palace... they were each given a gold watch ( which I heard before)...and each given 'CASH"..( that..i never heard before)..

.David said its at that moment he knew that some "arrangement was made" for the NON PROTEST...
 I always thought the Palace visit and the watches were AFTER tnt beat Mexico which allowed Haiti to go to the WC ...

David said.. " I put on the watch...put the cash in my pocket...cause I know when we reach home...they wont give us any"

he scored 7 goals in 5 matches...most goals trophy

International clubs... after HAITI...he got 3 offers...2 in the USA...and one arranged by the English coach Ken verity...to Leicester City ..

he went to Leicester...spent one month playing with the reserves...it was cold and lonely... at the same time Archibald and others playing in USA was telling him he should come to Miami to play with them as that club wanted him...he actually tricked the Leicester management saying he had to go home to sort some personal things...they urged him to stay as they were about the sign him and put him into the first team...but he went hone .. " spent the carnival season"..then went to join up with the Miami team...

did a month loan in Mexico...and went on to play quite a few seasons in the USA...
top scorer for some years...MVP..etc..

was involved with the high point in the USA at the time of Pele,Beckenbauer,Best ,Cruff and others...outscored them all...

he admitted he was very cocky and full of confidence in his ability..speed and finishing were his strengths..and a decent dribbler...

Selris Firgaro thought him to work hard in Training...changed his attitude...begged a team mate to help him with his heading....

his opinions on Best goal keepers... Barclay..Figaro... and sadly made a comment on Gordon Banks in a pre match interview when he said " banks have one eye...so he cant stop me from scoring"...they printed it on the papers which got Banks angry...David said he did not mean it that way and apologized to Banks.

Best defenders,,,Figaro..Teshiera..Spooner
Midfielders... Dilly ( DeLeon)...Archibald...Gally.. Douglas... he really rates Gally very highly..very...and he said he built his game by watching Bobby Sookram ( said he was simply amazing)

Forwards... Cave...Sammy LLweyln.. Ron la Forest... he said Ron La could have been the best ever from tnt if he had a different approach for working on his game...he said Ron had it all but should have reached further.

He said Pele is the one and only...and a bunch of others were second...Best,Cruyff,Messi,Ronaldo...he said Best was amazing ( they played for the same team)... he mentioned Yorke and Latapy and the natural linage to the past and thinks we need to get the new ones now...

He said we have to return to the zones/communities...and he is urging PFCC players to "entertain"

i saw only some of his tnt matches....as in those days those guys hardly came back home for matches...wish i saw more... He said..he was in the USA office of his club when the TFA called for his services in like 1981... the club told TFA to pay an Insurance of one million dollars....and they never called back...that  was the end of his tnt career

but you guys should check his interview....a serious man...legend.
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
Re: Steve David ( TnT legend)
« Reply #66 on: September 24, 2013, 08:52:45 AM »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #67 on: September 24, 2013, 05:07:45 PM »
Can anyone record it?

http://www.wisportstv.com/index.php/shows
Tuesday  7pm Sports Talk (with Andre Baptiste)repeat

must be on now?

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2013, 09:06:15 AM »
I read in an NASL magazine in the late 70's,where Best said Steve was the only player he knew who could make a bad pass look good.
That compliment stuck with me

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2013, 01:41:31 PM »
Interesting comment about the Leciester trial. That could've changed his career big time.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2013, 04:43:59 PM »
I have a question here for Tallman,i am trying to find out if any of these guys ever played for T&T after turning Pro,Lincoln,Gamaldo,Gerry Brown,Deleon,Archibald,Douglas,Gally,Steve David,Figaro, etc etc

It's interesting to note Steve mentioned Charlie Spooner as one of the best defenders he encountered in T&T,people tend to only see one side of this guy and not his ablilty as  a player.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 04:49:42 PM by Coop's »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2013, 05:12:49 PM »
I have a question here for Tallman,i am trying to find out if any of these guys ever played for T&T after turning Pro,Lincoln,Gamaldo,Gerry Brown,Deleon,Archibald,Douglas,Gally,Steve David,Figaro, etc etc

Warren Archibald - Turned pro in 1967 with the New York Generals. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Gerry Browne - Turned pro in 1968 with the Washington Darts. Did not represent T&T after.
Gally Cummings - Turned pro in 1967 with the Atlanta Chiefs. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Steve David - Turned pro in 1974 with the Miami Toros. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Leroy DeLeon - Turned pro in 1967 with the New York Generals. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Selris Figaro - Turned pro in 1970 with the Washington Darts. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Victor Gamaldo - Turned pro in 1970 with the Washington Darts. Did not represent T&T after.
Lincoln Phillips - Turned pro in 1968 with the Baltimore Bays. Did not represent T&T after.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2013, 05:40:48 PM »

Warren Archibald - Turned pro in 1967 with the New York Generals. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Gerry Browne - Turned pro in 1968 with the Washington Darts. Did not represent T&T after.
Gally Cummings - Turned pro in 1967 with the Atlanta Chiefs. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Steve David - Turned pro in 1974 with the Miami Toros. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Leroy DeLeon - Turned pro in 1967 with the New York Generals. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Selris Figaro - Turned pro in 1970 with the Washington Darts. Continued to play for T&T until 1976.
Victor Gamaldo - Turned pro in 1970 with the Washington Darts. Did not represent T&T after.
Lincoln Phillips - Turned pro in 1968 with the Baltimore Bays. Did not represent T&T after.
      Thanks,good enough that confirm my thoughts,i can figure out the rest based on this info.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 26, 2013, 06:27:52 PM »
Add Bert Grell. He did rep. TT in the the Concacaf in CR in 69.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 26, 2013, 09:04:27 PM »
A best midfielder besides Deleon and Latas was Tony Douglas ...he also represent Trinidad as well as play pro ball in the NASL.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2013, 05:00:21 PM »
A best midfielder besides Deleon and Latas was Tony Douglas ...he also represent Trinidad as well as play pro ball in the NASL.

He was a very good player. Kicked the ball friggin' hard. He and Ray Moraldo played for the LA Aztecs and won in 74. I have not heard anything about those two in a while. Are they living in point.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 27, 2013, 05:03:51 PM »

He was a very good player. Kicked the ball friggin' hard. He and Ray Moraldo played for the LA Aztecs and won in 74. I have not heard anything about those two in a while. Are they living in point.

As far as I know DeLeon is in T&T, Tony Douglas in Central Florida (Orlando or Tampa), and Moraldo is in South Florida (at least up until a few years ago).

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 27, 2013, 07:39:01 PM »
Yes . Great thread! Steve was one of the most successful players in the NASL! And one of our best goal scorers !Imagine we have such a wasted treasure and not using him in any capacity! Only in TNT!  Why was not he selected among the  legends of Sport or on the Hall of F-ame? He deserves a place before Corneal and Sedley! Archie another of our best should also be among our legends. You know how many people name they sons Archibald after Haiti? The two best known Trinis in Haiti were Eric Williams and Archibald for decades after 1973! Cabal in football blocking progress! This does  not happen in countries that are top rated in world football!
Good interview Andre!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 27, 2013, 08:17:17 PM »
Why was not he selected among the  legends of Sport or on the Hall of F-ame? He deserves a place before Corneal and Sedley!

Steve is in the Hall of Fame. He was inducted in 2008.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 27, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »
Jan Steadman turned pro in 1967 also...three men from Benedict's went to the Generals in 1967..Jan Steadman,Warren Archibald and Leroy Deleon. The Generals was the forerunner to the New York Cosmos which played in front of a packed stadium in 1967 ..78000 people ..against Pele's Santos..NY 5..Santos 3..Archibald scored a hattrick...the great Dutch striker Coprins  partnered Warren Archibald up front. Pele rated these trini players highly..Pele played a Trini in the movie Escape to Victory.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2013, 11:10:51 PM »
Of all those pros, I have never seen Jan Steadman in action. But he is rated highly. I never seen Bert play in TT. Seen him play in DC. And have had the pleasure of  playing with and against him in DC. Real fun football. Juniors vs All-Stars.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2013, 11:13:59 PM »
Don';t forget Leo Brewster.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #82 on: September 28, 2013, 04:56:54 AM »
Of all those pros, I have never seen Jan Steadman in action. But he is rated highly. I never seen Bert play in TT. Seen him play in DC. And have had the pleasure of  playing with and against him in DC. Real fun football. Juniors vs All-Stars.

I used to bounce up Bert's son ın Toronto during the 90s. He was living in DC.
A decent footballer in his own right.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Trinitozbone

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 28, 2013, 06:39:41 AM »
Thanks for that info Tallman on Steve David. But Archibald is still missing! Now that we have use of technology and we can get access to archival material where exists , we can make a true analysis of those who have made great contributions to the sport who have paved the way for those who are benefitting today from the Sport. The forum can make recommendations to the relevant bodies for persons to be recognized appropriately with all the data to support. In spite of the old talk and glad boy attitude and bias ness I see on the forum sometimes, this is one of the positive outcomes that could be derived .
I believe real professional football began with Gally, Steve, Archibald, De Leon, and others! Three of that group were the leaders in Haiti which should have taken us to our first World Cup. ( Politics in Haiti and tiefing referees prevented it) Now we hear that the Haitian President gave dem a little money too to make up from what was taken away from the players! Then Gally came in 1989 and gave us another good shot(politics and USA qualification came in the way) we were not part of the plan to go but persevered with Gally' passion for the game!. It was already sown up in the FIFA mafia. Everything is clear now with  hindsight and the role Jack played to work against his  own country ! Then 2006 Dwight and Latapy led the way to WC 2006 (whom Gally helped to groom for professional football and contracts  in Europe )and strangely with Jack's help!Remember dem easy Bligh we get with Jack at the helm in the early  part of the qualifying rounds? Who is going to carry on the struggle now??

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #84 on: September 28, 2013, 06:43:52 AM »
I would really love to see Gally coach a Pro League team, the man really brought passion and unity to the game in T&T. We really need a mixture of the older guys and some new younger  passionate ones for help us move forward.

And foundation members should really be recognized and allowed to see games for free in the stadium and in a special area.

We need to recognise our people who worked hard for us better.

« Last Edit: September 28, 2013, 06:45:26 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2013, 01:53:12 PM »
I have footage of all the players mentioned except Jan and Cummings..the main ingredient in their game..especially Archibald and David was speed. Deleon told me that for St Benedict's sports Day he and Jan used to run a 100m in 11secs..Jan was a defender.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2013, 06:12:15 PM »
Don';t forget Leo Brewster.
Brew was special. I have a lot of childhood memories of "Twinkletoes" dribbling fools on dah wing and the crowd going wild.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Aztecs forward Steve David scores in record 10 straight matches
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2015, 02:08:23 PM »
Throwback Thursday | Aztecs forward Steve David scores in record 10 straight matches
By Matthew Levine (NASL.com)

For a forward, confidence in front of goal is absolutely crucial, and Trinidadian international Steve David had it in abundance during his career.

“Every time I entered the field, I thought I could score,” David told NASL.com. “I didn’t think there was any defender or goalkeeper that could stop me.”

And when it came to taking the pitch, David proved there were, in fact, few who could slow him down.

A prolific scorer since his debut season in the NASL with the Miami Toros in 1974, David finished his time in the NASL with 100 goals, sitting in seventh place in the Golden Era scoring charts.

“It’s what I expected of myself. If I didn’t score I didn’t let it bother me. If I went on a run of not scoring, I thought maybe I need to do more shooting or correct my mistakes in practice,” he said.

David was the league’s top scorer in 1975 with the Toros (also the league’s MVP) and again in 1977 with the Los Angeles Aztecs. The season with the Aztecs, though, stands out as particularly impressive.

Scoring just once in 13 games in his final year with the Toros in 1976, David was asked to play as a target striker and to hold up the ball, which didn’t suit his strengths. Heading to the West Coast with the Aztecs the following season, David’s goalscoring acumen was back on full display.

“It was a different style,” David said. “My last season in Miami, it was different. The midfielders wanted you to play with your back to the goal. I like to be running at players.

“When I came to L.A., I could do what I liked – running at players and running in positions I expected the ball to be.”

Getting a chance to play to utilize his quickness in space, David went on a run of 10 consecutive games finding the back of the net, starting on May 22 and coming to an end in a 2-0 shutout loss to the Toronto Metros-Croation on July 4. During that stretch, the forward tallied 14 goals.

David started the 1977 season on a much shorter streak, scoring in the first four games – all wins, although two of them came in a shootout – to set the tone for the year.

“When you go on a run of goals, it becomes easier and easier, and you get more opportunities even though teams are keeping an eye on you,” David said. “When the game comes to you, it’s always better, so you don’t have to force anything. You get in the zone, you play, and, when the time comes, you put them away.”

While starting the season in great form, David did not score for the next three games. When he found the back of the net twice in a 3-1 win against the Vancouver Whitecaps, it was the start of what would become the record streak, scoring in his next 10 appearances. The forward’s streak was never broken and only equaled once in 1981 by Canadian international Mike Stojanovic with the San Diego Sockers.

“I never thought it was a big deal,” David said. “Even when I was growing up, I scored in a lot of games.

“I didn’t think of it being a record or anything.”

The forward who scored 24 goals in 26 games in his first season in L.A. had plenty of help from his supporting cast. George Best had a league-best 18 assists, while David also benefitted from the midfield play of Charlie Cooke, who added 15 assists of his own over the course of the season.

“I had good players around me – Charlie Cooke, George Best, all of these players – and putting the ball in the net was easy for me at the time,” David said.

“He (George) gave me the ball in the right places. We really understood each other very well. I knew when he had the ball, as long as I found space, he’d get it to me. He made my job much easier, all I had to do was finish. Charlie was another excellent player. George was the key, though. He was the key to everything.”

Despite all the goals, it would ultimately finish in frustration for David and the Aztecs. Shortly before the end of the regular season, David picked up an injury in a match against the San Jose Earthquakes.

“Very frustrating for me during that period,” he said. ‘I got hit on the side of the knee by the goalkeeper, and it stretched the ligaments in my knee – didn’t tear it, just stretched it.

“The team couldn’t afford to lose me at that point because they were losing 26 goals in the season.”

Missing the rest of the regular season and ensuing postseason, the Aztecs – which led the league in goals with 65 – fell in the semifinals to the Seattle Sounders. David, with the confidence he surely had in front of goal, believes the Aztecs could have and should have been the team to play the New York Cosmos in the final that season – and that the Aztecs would have been crowned champions. The Sounders lost the final, 2-1.

“I think we were the best team in the league that year, including the Cosmos, even though they had Pelé,” David said.

“Injuries are part of the game, and we had to do the best we could.”

Looking back on it, it was still a memorable season for the Trinidadian international, and it was a season his goalscoring prowess was on full display as well as firing his way to streak that will continue to be tough to top.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2015, 06:50:06 PM »
Youtube has some Aztecs videos. I saw a few glimpses of Mr. David in them.
Those NASL games used to draw a serious crowd.

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2015, 09:03:55 PM »
Whenever yuh talk to Steve David, Archibald, Jan, De leon , these guys would tell yuh ..was Dom Basil Matthews....who was responsible for makin dem...

Nine Benedict's men on the National team..

Five  Trinidad players got drafted into the new NASL in 1968...three from Benedict's  ......Lincoln Phillips and Gally Cummings from the North

The  Benedict's trio... Warren Archibald and Jan Steadman to New York ...Leroy Deleon to the west coast..Dom Basil say they couldn't  break up the trio...they go together on the same team or not at all..that's why three Benedict's players went to the New York Generals....Gally went to Atlanta.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2015, 09:06:14 PM by coache »

1]; } ?>