April 28, 2024, 09:29:53 PM

Author Topic: Warriornation Scholarship  (Read 5020 times)

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Warriornation Scholarship
« on: October 03, 2006, 07:23:51 AM »
What do you think about a football(soccer)Scholarship to a male/female student in Trinidad and Tobago to get a college degree in the US? If 300 members give $20US to this venture, it can be done. The logistic can be work out by some knowledgeable member on the forum. What do you think?
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warriornation Scholarship
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2006, 07:45:34 AM »
Nice idea  :beermug:

But dais only $6G's.....I doh even think dais ah full semester at a school in de states

but is ah start....I up fuh dat
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 07:51:48 AM »
It doesn't have to be a full scholarship. I know a lot more forumites will jump in so we could well exceed $10,000US.
-Karl Kraus

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2006, 09:48:39 AM »
yes very good idea  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2006, 10:02:03 AM »
not sure if I understand this... for a football scolarship does the person receiving not have to be givien that scholarship by the actual school? I mean..don't they have to be able to make the team before they can say it's a football scolarship?

not to dampen your spirits but similar things have been mentioned even back to the days of the original board and even Marc's forum. I for one would like to contribute, but it takes someone to really START for this to actually happen.

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2006, 10:35:12 AM »
not sure if I understand this... for a football scolarship does the person receiving not have to be givien that scholarship by the actual school? I mean..don't they have to be able to make the team before they can say it's a football scolarship?

it sounds like what ttcom have in mind is private scholarship. there are lots of these in other disciplines - why not for football as well.

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2006, 11:04:44 AM »
Yes, ribbit, thanks for clarifying things. There are a lot of students in t&t cant get a scholarship through the scouting channels. We can at least help one. We can call it a college grant.
-Karl Kraus

Offline TriniCana

• Hero Warrior
  • ah Catch ah Glad
    • View Profile
    • allyuhmuddaass@com
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2006, 11:05:26 AM »
ttcom sounds like a nice idea. Anything to uplift the young talent out there, I for dat

Why not run this idea by big daddy Tallman, and maybe he can throw in the logistic and setup someting.

But good idea.

Offline d1onlysexysugar

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
ADM

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2006, 10:36:43 AM »
Tallman if you out there ring in on this typic.
-Karl Kraus

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2006, 04:53:01 PM »

To be devil's advocate.

Why would we give a scholarship to a College Bound student rather than a younger youth who may want to attend a football training camp or something similar.

If they are good enough to play for a College abroad wouldn't they be on an athletics scholarship.(as Jumbie said)

Also...would it not be best for the scholarship money to stay within T&T...camps and/or school at home.
I'd prefer if we bought gears for a community team at home.  Should we nominate a team to receive sponsorship/support from us?  Perhaps have the winner of an existing tournament receive something from us.  How about the winner of the Primary schools league receiver t-shirts, junior membership (if we create that) and whatever gears we can get from donations...monetary and otherwise.

I like that charity is being discussed so lets see if we can find something that is not one-off and will get the support of our membership.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2006, 02:28:51 PM »
De administration (SATs, student visa, accomodation etc.) of such a ting would be a nightmare unless yuh have a proper structure. Also, tertiary education in T&T is freeco now, so why send someone on a football scholarship unless dey exceptionally good, which if dey are, dey would most likely have been offered one by a college already.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2006, 03:44:30 PM »
I say the same ting ,plus ah want to buy ah X-Box 360 !

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2006, 04:01:57 PM »
Good idea; what about a retirement fund for me; If all members  donate the same amount ah could put ah down payment on that house back home.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2006, 12:17:04 AM »
De administration (SATs, student visa, accomodation etc.) of such a ting would be a nightmare unless yuh have a proper structure. Also, tertiary education in T&T is freeco now, so why send someone on a football scholarship unless dey exceptionally good, which if dey are, dey would most likely have been offered one by a college already.

THen we can add our donation to an athlete that has secured a scolarship that we believe has the most potential. When we learn of any student/athletes that has earned a scholarship we can then vote on which one gets our additional help.
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

TrinInfinite

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2006, 01:38:20 PM »
boss idea bredda :beermug:

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2006, 09:36:30 AM »
I love de idea :applause:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2006, 09:38:22 AM »

oh gorm,,look how tallest come along and buss de man balloon with reality nah

Ah well, its the thought that counts  :D
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2006, 11:13:06 AM »

The thread should be about coming up with good charitable causes.

Not just push one idea.  If u really think it worth pursuing then take comments into consideration.
Me, I not sure this will get much support...especially since the money will be too small to make an impact for that cause.

People like to see what their money going to and feel like it made a difference.  That is why I suggest a much younger demographic where the money is being utilized at home...not abroad.

Also...people not really quick to part with their money so when calculating how many members we have and what percentage will support...a more realistic number might be   less than 10%
BOD...any comments on what realistic when projecting number of people who will contribute?

Offline d1onlysexysugar

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 07:59:37 AM »

;) i agree ta;;man ...  :angel:
ADM

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
Soca Warrior Scholarship
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2008, 08:39:46 AM »
Soca Warrior Scholarship

I remember talking about this in 2006 and it 2008. We boast that we have thousands of people on the forum but we can't come up with a scholarship for a needy Trinbagoin. I am willing to commit $100 US to this venture annually.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 08:43:43 AM by ttcom »
-Karl Kraus

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2008, 08:54:37 AM »
Whoever pull up the old link thanks but let see if forumite do something this time.
-Karl Kraus

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 10:03:27 AM »
The logistics would be a nightmare re:criteria, where the bank account would be held etc. Also with regards to scholarships  schools cover only the direct cost of attendance. However, I would take the idea a step further and suggest that it is a women's only scholarship.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 10:05:43 AM »
There is a way in which the scholarship/grant as proposed can work in unison with the notion of awarding it to a college-bound player. Actually, more than one.

Many players today receive monies coming from multiple sources - depending on how the athletic department in question has configured its general budget and dependant also on the soccer coach's specific budget. There is a trend toward the award of substantial partial scholarships at several institutions. As such, the monies could be used as a supplemental towards support of a player or players who have been identified by institutions but who lack the offer of full support (these players exist).

Personally, if this award moves forward I would like to see it go towards the support of a female player.

+++

More general comment ... there would have to be an agreed, expressed philosophy/underlying rationale for the award ... this could help to create eligibility guidelines - for instance, the expression of an age range ... alternatively, perhaps the idea maybe towards holistic development rather than the desire of say, budding a professional.

+++

Otherwise, I like the direction expressed by dcs regarding development and community building projects ... areas which the WN seem to be involved in already.

Regarding a prospective return on any investment ... WN should consider entry into the arena of establishing an annual, local showcase for college-interested players. WN provides the platform/opportunity and builds coffers in the process.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2008, 10:43:24 AM »
This is not that tough to do. The college bound students recieve a partial scholarship to a US college. Before the I 20 can be sent out the student have to show that they can pay the remainder. This can be in the form of parents, sponsor, loans, local scholarships etc. The money can be sent to the college on behalf of the student for payments towards tuition, boarding, books or other misc. payments. The govt of T&T give students money all the time, so do other sponsors. So it's not that difficult.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2008, 12:02:00 PM »
If d man get a scholarship he eh need we help plus UWI free so let he/ she go dey
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2008, 12:43:05 PM »
Like dcs, I would prefer to see the money going towards local (t&t) development and community projects.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Baygo Boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2008, 12:59:57 PM »

The scholarship is a sound idea, Although a T&T citizen could get a quality, low cost University education in Trinidad, most ballers would not meet the admission requirements (subjects and A-levels etc), Whereas all he/she would have to do to get into a USA college is prove that they have the required HS years, and get a good score on the SAT etc. I know of a number of Trinibagonian ballers currently on soccer scholarships here in the US, who left home without HS passes, but were able to secure US scholarships. The WN scholarship should be for such a Student.

The only problem with US scholarships occurs during holiday periods, when students are generally asked to give up their dorm rooms, these Students will have to stay with friends, family, or return home until classes resume. This is a good idea and should be pursued, it's a great way to give back, especially if you can have the student guarantee he/she would return to T&T after graduation, or internship etc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:01:53 PM by Baygo Boy »

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2008, 01:06:56 PM »

To be devil's advocate.

Why would we give a scholarship to a College Bound student rather than a younger youth who may want to attend a football training camp or something similar.

If they are good enough to play for a College abroad wouldn't they be on an athletics scholarship.(as Jumbie said)

Also...would it not be best for the scholarship money to stay within T&T...camps and/or school at home.
I'd prefer if we bought gears for a community team at home.  Should we nominate a team to receive sponsorship/support from us?  Perhaps have the winner of an existing tournament receive something from us.  How about the winner of the Primary schools league receiver t-shirts, junior membership (if we create that) and whatever gears we can get from donations...monetary and otherwise.

I like that charity is being discussed so lets see if we can find something that is not one-off and will get the support of our membership.
I like this idea. We should support local ventures. What is the prize money for PFL youth tournaments. The Warrior Nation contributing to the development of local footbal in this manner would give us a foot hold iin the door when other discussions are being held because we are sponsors.

I don't support giving money to a student. There will always be problems deciding who the student should be. Men going to cry bias, nepotism, croneyism etc. when their candidate not picked. Suppose it come down to two candidates and the final vote is 51% to 49%. Worse yet is ah odd number and there are ties. What will be the tie breaker. Also I know a few palyers who did really well at a SSFL level and came to the states and hung up their boots after College because they reasoned that a 9-5 is a more stable future.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

1]; } ?>