April 27, 2024, 04:55:46 AM

Author Topic: Guatemala: Player Haters of the Year  (Read 4024 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Guatemala: Player Haters of the Year
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:54:28 AM »
By David J. Warner (AOL sports)

You thought Jose Mourinho held a grudge like a champ? He's got nothing on Guatemala.

Two years ago during the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, Guatemala needed Mexico to draw against Trinidad & Tobago to have a shot at finishing fourth and making the play-in game against Bahrain. However, Mexico had already earned its World Cup spot and fielded a weak reserve side against T&T, who won 2-1 and eliminated Guatemala from contention.

Apparently, the Guatemalans didn't forget. After beating Mexico 2-1 on Friday, they put the screws to their rivals Sunday -- by letting Canada score 5 goals on them in their final Group B match.

End result? Mexico could no longer just win their final match to get through. They had to beat Haiti by six, count 'em, six goals in order to advance to the semifinals. Oh, and they had to do this against a Haiti team who could advance with a win.

That, my friends, is hate. Mucho, mucho odio. Yet Mexico nearly overcame it.

The Tricolores ran end-to-end against Haiti for 90 minutes. They forced Haiti into not one, but two red cards. They attacked the porous Haitian backline relentlessly. Alas, horrid finishing and a heroic performance by Haitian goalkeeper Johnny Placide ultimately doomed Mexico. They won the match 5-1 -- one goal short of overtaking Canada for second place in Group B.

So shockingly, the USA will play Canada in Nashville on Thursday night for the right to play in the 2008 Olympics. Guatemala will face Honduras for the other CONCACAF spot in Beijing. Mexico goes home, and coach Hugo Sanchez will probably get fired next week. Had his side gotten the job done against Canada in the first game of this competition, none of this would have happened.

When Mexico and Guatemala meet in World Cup Qualifying next year, there will be blood. Bad, bad blood. The odio will flow like the Rio Grande. Bring your popcorn and your flak jacket.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Re: Guatemala: Player Haters of the Year
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:28 AM »
Let the writer take note that Guatemala WILL NOT be facing Mexico in WCQ next year.

TT and the USA will be the teams qualifying from that group.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline KND2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:03:59 AM »
if tape footage show that they intentially throw the game to Canada then they should get Ban. I doubt they did that they probably just rest some me but still get a good cut arse

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 11:06:15 AM »
fack off....good fuh dem...

tell de keeper dat save Stern penalty dat nah
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:42:59 AM »
Let the writer take note that Guatemala WILL NOT be facing Mexico in WCQ next year.

based on ? don't make any predictions   just let things flow
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 01:30:37 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 12:00:36 PM »

wish it was that ez.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Mr Mc

• Hero Warrior
  • Take pride in yuh side!! Vibes it Up!!!
    • View Profile
    • Trini Jungle Juice
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 12:18:10 PM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 01:23:18 PM »
Should have been Honduras playing Canada and Guatemala v USA ...

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 01:33:01 PM »
Doubt it. It was probably just a coincidence. Guatemala knows Mexico is a powerful nation in the confederation and I'm sure they believe the confederation is corrupt. You could be sure they would worry that any whiff of impropriety would lead to a ban from the Olympics. Makes no sense selling the game and risk getting banned. I'd closer believe this if Guatemala was already out, had nothing to lose and decide to take Mexico down with them. They had way too much to lose to try and pull a stunt like that. You'd have to convince plenty people who need to eat a food and who seeing glory to risk their whole careers for a grudge that have nutten to do with them really. Nah..dat is a coincidence.

If they were dumb enough to pull such a stunt, I'd still wager that avoiding the US in the final qualifying round was a bigger motivator than trying to dump out Mexico. Of course we will never really know....Just my thoughts

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 03:10:47 PM »
Doubt it. It was probably just a coincidence. Guatemala knows Mexico is a powerful nation in the confederation and I'm sure they believe the confederation is corrupt. You could be sure they would worry that any whiff of impropriety would lead to a ban from the Olympics. Makes no sense selling the game and risk getting banned. I'd closer believe this if Guatemala was already out, had nothing to lose and decide to take Mexico down with them. They had way too much to lose to try and pull a stunt like that. You'd have to convince plenty people who need to eat a food and who seeing glory to risk their whole careers for a grudge that have nutten to do with them really. Nah..dat is a coincidence.

If they were dumb enough to pull such a stunt, I'd still wager that avoiding the US in the final qualifying round was a bigger motivator than trying to dump out Mexico. Of course we will never really know....Just my thoughts

Their Costa Rican coach would have had to buy into the notion as well. I haven't caught this game yet so I can't comment about anything aside from the highlights. However, it makes for interesting reading nonetheless ...

It also gives provides a replacement item to go along with the popcorn ... :devil: Maybe somebody should introduce the writer to the acquired taste of mauby :rotfl:

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 03:26:45 PM »

You thought Jose Mourinho held a grudge like a champ? He's got nothing on Guatemala.

Two years ago during the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, Guatemala needed Mexico to draw against Trinidad & Tobago to have a shot at finishing fourth and making the play-in game against Bahrain. However, Mexico had already earned its World Cup spot and fielded a weak reserve side against T&T, who won 2-1 and eliminated Guatemala from contention.Apparently, the Guatemalans didn't forget. After beating Mexico 2-1 on Friday, they put the screws to their rivals Sunday -- by letting Canada score 5 goals on them in their final Group B match.

That Mexican side was missing a couple of their No1. players, but that was no WEAK side.  Mexico got beat that night by a determined brilliant charged up TT side that wanted it, come hell or high water.  No doubt, the Guatemalans would always think otherwise.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 03:36:48 PM »

Two years ago during the final round of CONCACAF World Cup qualifying, Guatemala needed Mexico to draw against Trinidad & Tobago to have a shot at finishing fourth and making the play-in game against Bahrain. However, Mexico had already earned its World Cup spot and fielded a weak reserve side against T&T, who won 2-1 and eliminated Guatemala from contention.Apparently, the Guatemalans didn't forget. After beating Mexico 2-1 on Friday, they put the screws to their rivals Sunday -- by letting Canada score 5 goals on them in their final Group B match.

That Mexican side was missing a couple of their No1. players, but that was no WEAK side.  Mexico got beat that night by a determined brilliant charged up TT side that wanted it, come hell or high water.  No doubt, the Guatemalans would always think otherwise.

Guatemala could never vex for that game...

The round before them get a similarly already qualified United States who ALSO send a "reserve team" and dey fail to beat them at HOME...

So it even in my books

EDIT: In fact it MORE than even... because then in the last rounds them get a similarly already qualified COSTA RICA who ALSO send a "reserve team" and dey was up 3-0 in 20 mins...

dem had dey chance
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 03:38:47 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 03:58:12 PM »

We might have been determined, but Jack played his part in the Mexican team that was fielded that day (lets face it, it was a weak team)

The Mexican football federation is corrupt and its not surprising that Guatemala still feel hard done by.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 04:22:25 PM »

We might have been determined, but Jack played his part in the Mexican team that was fielded that day (lets face it, it was a weak team)

The Mexican football federation is corrupt and its not surprising that Guatemala still feel hard done by.

done with the jack warner thing nuh !!! that  dat Mexico side beat Guatemala 5-2  4 days before in Mexico ... the Mexican coach was experimenting in both games so he left out 3-4 regulars off the roster

« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 04:26:59 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 04:26:13 PM »

Ryan that is level toots... and even if true...

see my post above... guatemala benefit more than we from de schedule and still fail...
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 04:44:34 PM »

see my post above... guatemala benefit more than we from de schedule and still fail...

I eh sayin Guatemala deserved to qualify (and for sure I didnt want dem to qualify  ;D), I jus sayin I cud understand y dey vex....Mexico sent a B team courtesy of Jack.

Offline Flash7

• Full Warrior
  • Allez Le Rouge et Bleu!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 07:43:18 AM »
Yeah i remember that, Mexico sent it's B team to T&T after their A team did their job & thrashed Guatemala. It was all perfectly planned out. I guess Mexico hasn't forgiven los chapines over what happened back in 1990.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2008, 07:48:33 AM »

I eh sayin Guatemala deserved to qualify (and for sure I didnt want dem to qualify  ;D), I jus sayin I cud understand y dey vex....Mexico sent a B team courtesy of Jack.

ryan you need to check mexcio line up against guatemala 4 days before ... and you would see that they used a B team against them also

Offline Trin

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2008, 08:08:44 AM »
Yeah i remember that, Mexico sent it's B team to T&T after their A team did their job & thrashed Guatemala. It was all perfectly planned out. I guess Mexico hasn't forgiven los chapines over what happened back in 1990.

What are u talking about Mexico fielded a virtually identical side to play both teams for the second round fixtures, the only differences being the score and that the Chapins played that round in Mexico.

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2008, 10:08:43 AM »
I don't even begin to understand the logic to say jack had a hand in the game. It was the same goddamn team they send to play Guatemala. If I'm correct is only 2 regulars that didn't play.
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 10:16:35 AM »
good thing Jack not ah Jew...else long time we dun blame him fuh crucifying Jesus too.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 12:22:55 PM »

r u serious. Mexcio was already qualified so there was no need to send their A team against a team that desperate to qualify. perfect time to blood some fringe players and prevent your best players from picking up unnecessary injuries or suspensions. every team on the planet does it..which is why Gautemala got to play a weakened US team,  a weakened mexican team and a weakened Costa Rican...back to back to back and still couldn't qualify. So wait..jack was helpong Guatemala too? You really think about what you saying?

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 02:19:40 PM »
good thing Jack not ah Jew...else long time we dun blame him fuh crucifying Jesus too.

Unlike most people on dis site, I think Jack has been good for TnT football (or at least better than any of the alternatives).

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 02:22:20 PM »

r u serious. Mexcio was already qualified so there was no need to send their A team against a team that desperate to qualify. perfect time to blood some fringe players and prevent your best players from picking up unnecessary injuries or suspensions. every team on the planet does it..which is why Gautemala got to play a weakened US team,  a weakened mexican team and a weakened Costa Rican...back to back to back and still couldn't qualify. So wait..jack was helpong Guatemala too? You really think about what you saying?

boss, I agree with everything you said. I just repeating what I've been told  :beermug:

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2008, 09:32:58 PM »
 :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: Guatemala get blank by Honduras on Penalties  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2008, 09:59:40 PM »
Ryan,
             Who are the alternatives. Do you know that you can be an alternative. Jack has been for so long. Who do you know has been there or tried to be there.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 02:53:32 PM »
Ryan,
             Who are the alternatives. Do you know that you can be an alternative. Jack has been for so long. Who do you know has been there or tried to be there.

Deeks,there are hundreds of threads on this board dedicated to who the alternatives are ( and no I dont think I could ever be an alternative, I wud be awful  ;D ). I not calling no names, becuz I think most of d people who get 'nominated' on this board are good people, but wouldnt neccesarily be good leaders.

For all Jack's (many) questionable qualities, at least d man gets what he wants - and occasionally there is some alignment between what Jack wants and what TnT football wants (i.e. - Germany  :)).

But I dunno nuh...most of d alternatives people suggest seem to be based on morals and strength of character (and to some extent, footballing ability). None of dem really seem to be based on results, and in d world outside of Trinidad, while those qualities might be desireable, they seldom get you were u wanna go. Those qualities should be taken for granted - business acumen, the ability to negotiate and decisiveness are the qualities we should really be looking for in a leader. 

I think someone like Ken Gordon wud be great for running Trinidad football (i have absolutely no idea whether he wud want to) or someone with a serious business background, but i cant see any of the usual suggestions taking us very far.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 04:45:50 PM »
Ryan,
           I am not agaisnt you. What we have with TT football is what I call the Eric Williams syndrome. When the Doc gone who we go put? Yes, Jack position in FIFA has given us certain advantages other countries would never have or get, ever.  We have fairly new and well maintained stadia.

We have hosted a successful U-17 tournament. We have hosted numerous regional tournaments. We have came close but never won any of these tournament at home. But that is no big thing for me. It just shows that no matter how much JW do for us, the team still have to win on the field of play.

My biggest peeve with TTFF is  with local football.  The very football that should be the final breeding ground for our players. Why do our players stay so long to mature. Why do some coaches complain about fitness level.  Do the clubs emphasize weight training.

Do you live at home, Ryan. Who is your favorite team. Do you go to see them play every game. If so, how much people does be in the stands watching. Do you enjoy it? If your team playing and Manu or Liverpool playing, would you stay home to watch Manu/Liverpool or go and support your local team.

1]; } ?>