June 15, 2024, 08:44:24 PM

Poll

Has Ronaldinho joined Pele and Maradona as the best player in his era?

Yes
25 (47.2%)
No
28 (52.8%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Ronaldinho Thread  (Read 209181 times)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Has Ronaldinho joined Pele and Maradona as the best player in his era?
« Reply #180 on: November 28, 2005, 09:22:08 AM »
Ok, now we getting carried away a little, retire tomorrow and always be remembered...?
You are only as good as your legacy, Ronaldo has done 5 times as much than him and at his prime was much more explosive and impressive.
Put everthying into perspective.
When Rivaldo was in form, he was more influential than him.

He is very good, perhaps the most dynamic player today, he is real tears, I aint goh lie, but he just starting to hold that mantle. Doh rush the brush.

Lets see how he does in a few years first.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 28, 2005, 09:23:37 AM »
Ronaldinho is nothing in defense but honestly he not on the field to defend. The man dominates the attack like no other player. Not Rivaldo not even Zidane dominates as much as this man. How many times have seen defenders backing off of Zidane or absolutely petrified to chook a foot. The man is in a class of his own. For the Zidane fans out there I'm not saying that Zidane is not a brilliant player but Ronaldinho's class is a cut above the rest.

On talent alone I would rank him alongside Pele and Maradona.I don't like comparing Pele and Maradona because they played different positions and in different eras and different tactics etc. In this era of football, defense is a major priority and a lot of games could just be boring,tight and unproductive. Ask yourself the question 0-0, 5 mins to go who you want on the ball Ronaldinho now or Zidane in his prime? I would chose Ronaldinho any day of the week. Barring a long term injury he will prove himself to be the greatest player of this era.

0-0 and 5 minutes to go, Zidane will do it any day in front of Ronaldinho, ask England and ask Sociadad(his latest victim), i've seen Ronaldinho choke more times than Zidane in that kind of position.

you talkin real shit
u forget ronaldinho in champions league against chelsea last yr?
d man bring them back singlehandedly when it looked like they were dead in the water
ball/dribbling skillz is also a quality ppl attribute to the greatest ever. Maradonna and pele both had that
Ronaldinho undisputedly has that edge over Zidane, and i think this is a major reason that ppl see him as maybe one of the greatest ever.
(this is also why ppl rate robinho so highly calling him 'pele' and why Denilson was the most expensive player in the world)

PS u are clueless if you think ppl would forget all about ronaldinho if he retired tom
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2005, 10:00:10 AM »
in my opinion there will never b another pele.pele is to football like jordan is to basketball and clay to boxing.furthermore more there will never b another pele jordan or clay.maradona is second to pele.not by far though.i would use their names in the same sentence.everybody else,.......................................... everybody including yuh zidanes,zico,rossi,garincha,rumminegge,cryuff,keegan,rush,platini and the list can go on and on are a few notches down.yes ronaldinhno has skill but to rate him up alongside pele and diego is goin too far.STORY DONE.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2005, 10:07:34 AM »

Chelsea vs Barcelona, he got a free kick late in the game from close range and hit into the wall i think. Tell me if you can't remember that.

hey take win................Ronaldinho has choked in big situations......fine

It's a stupid argument because I don't consider hitting the wall on a freekick late in a game to be a choke anyway........ Zidane scored a big free kick in the Euro 2004, but I wouldn't have considered it a choke if he didn't score....and I wouldn't doubt if Zidane has missed free kicks at crucial situations.....

Zidane is a clutch player........we all agree but trying to recall one or two instances where Ronaldinho missed a freekick late in a game, and comparing it to some big moments for Zizou is a fairly narrow comparison of the two players' abilities.

Didn't Barcelona lose to Chelsea on aggregate in the match rated as the final before the final????? All this because i said i'd pick Zidane instead of Ronaldinho in crunch time and i said this, judging from what i have seen.

Fatz..you is a real hater. A free kick is not a guaranteed goal. Missing one late in a game is not choking. You using the Chelsea game as an example where he didn't produce? De man scored 2 goals in that game when his team loooked dead and buried and created a host of other chances for his teammates. It is regarded as one of the virtuoso performances of last year's CL. If Zidane had played like that you would be hailing his greatness. Your opinion that Zidane is greater than Ronaldinho is fair...but when you spew irrational views..it just sounding like hate.

Ronaldinho has come through for club and cpountry at crunch time on many occasions. Isn't assisting in one goal and scoring the other in a come from behind win against England in the WC quarters coming through when it matters...or do only injury time goals count? And the point of who you would want in the last five minutes of a game doesn't tell me shit about how good a man is. I would pick Ole Gunnar Solksjaer over plenty big players in the last 5 minutes of a game becasue he constantly was a last minute winner for ManU....but the best players get it done over de 90 minutes. Where was Zidane in the last 5 minutes of the super clasico last week when Ronaldinho was salting his whole team and scored a brilliant double....oh..I forget...those goals didn't come in the dying minutes...they weren't clutch right?

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2005, 10:13:58 AM »
Another dimension is that people like Ronaldo and Zizoux have conquered multiple leagues.
Ronaldo was MVP in Holland, Spain and Italy.
Zidane was in Italy and Spain.

Ronaldhino is just beginning to conquer Spain right now.

Offline dumpalewie

• Lewie
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2005, 10:34:59 AM »
Allyuh men is a bunch a jokers yes.

Ronaldinho is supremely gifted no doubt. So much so that I do expect that by the end of his career he may ascend to among the best.

But in truth he has only been on top for the past 2 yrs. Ronaldo and Rivaldo have been where he is right now. Do any of you think that Ronaldo should be in that category? Ronaldo has accomplished more than Ronaldinho so far.

Give it time. We will see. 
TnT Patriot

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2005, 10:41:39 AM »
FYI

Believe it or not, Ronaldo (not Zidane) was the MVP of World Cup '98......just checked the stats.

Boss WC 98 Zizou was special he deserve the award. The man step up everytime France needed him. Ok he got sent off but say wha he was masterful.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2005, 11:09:33 AM »
Another dimension is that people like Ronaldo and Zizoux have conquered multiple leagues.
Ronaldo was MVP in Holland, Spain and Italy.
Zidane was in Italy and Spain.

Ronaldhino is just beginning to conquer Spain right now.

To answer the original question of the post, you have to wait and see. It is still too early in his career to say if he will join a Pele or Maradona as one of the absolute greats. This is never going to be an objective discussion. Most of us have never even see Pele play extensively, or know much of the greats before him...we base our opinion of him on his resume, highlights, great marketing of his image, and heresay/public perception. There are older fans who swear DeStefano and Ferenc Puskas were greater than Pele. There are Brazilains who swear Freiderich and Garrincha were better than Pele. I accept that these 'opinions' we have are extremely biased, so I eh getting worked up about it.

As for whether Ronaldinho is better than Zidane. That is also a matter of opinion and has to do with what skills and abilities we prefer, our biases towards and against the teams they play for, how many times we've seen them play and certain aesthetics...like grace on the ball, etc. It has VERY LITTLE to do with titles or who has played longer than who...There are many players with longer careers than Ronaldinho who have won many more personal and team titles...(for eg. Van Basten, Platini, Maldini, Seedorf, Romario...) that does not mean they are better than Ronaldinho. It just means they proved their greatness over a longer period. So I may be wrong, but if they both were to retire right now, Zidane would more likely go down on record as the 'greater' player quite simply because he has played longer.....but as far as who is the more talented player, or who is actually better...well that will depend on opinion...and we will never all agree.

FYI

Believe it or not, Ronaldo (not Zidane) was the MVP of World Cup '98......just checked the stats.

Boss WC 98 Zizou was special he deserve the award. The man step up everytime France needed him. Ok he got sent off but say wha he was masterful.

Your memory bad or you fall for the hype. He stepped up in the final against Brazil. Execellent, but not exactly tournament MVP status. Before the final France was known as a good defensive team but not much in attack. Henry outshone Zidane in the first round scoring 4 goals but was eventually relegated to the bench as the tourney went on. Zidane was suspended for 2 games and missed the 2nd round game against Paraguay, didn't really shine against Italy when France needed penalties to win and didn't shine against Croatia when France need Thuram to score a double to get to the final. Not exactly a WC performance of note until the final.

Now Euro 2000...that is another story. That was Zidane vs. Figo..and neither disappointed. For me Zidane joined the greats after that tourney. De man was sick.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 11:58:12 AM by Tallman »

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2005, 11:52:25 AM »
i don't know why allyuh does get sucked into this debate.  to find out who have more skill we just need to get bucky and zizou in the same place, let them choose a skill from a hat and the one who do it the best is the winner.  fair enough?

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2005, 12:07:50 PM »
dred
ronnie strikes fear into the hearts of defenders much like ronaldo in his heydey
as influential as zizou is, men don't fear him as much
i think that is a big factor in determining the greatest
ppl dont lunge into ronaldinho cuz they will get embarrassed and become a foxsports/espn/gol tv highlight
ronnie can still have the same effect on a game that zidane has yet do it far more stylishly
can ronaldinho do everything on a field that zidane can do?
i think yes
can zidane do everything on a field that ronaldinho can do?
definitely not
Nothing pisses me off more than racism, and ppl who you know that act like they don't know you.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2005, 12:26:53 PM »
Ronaldinho better than Maradona, says Pele
27 November 2005
by The Press Association

Brazilian legend Pele has revealed that he rates Barcelona star Ronaldinho as "better than (Diego) Maradona".
Pele, whose full name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, was speaking at the opening of Sao Vicente de Paula School in Niteroi city when he was asked to draw comparisons between the current jewel in Brazil's crown and Argentina's favourite son. The 65-year-old said: "There's no point in comparing Ronaldinho and Maradona. I think Ronaldinho is better than Maradona."

Pele, named FIFA Player of the Century, added that he sees Ronaldinho, who made his professional debut in Gremio before moving to Europe and Paris Saint-Germain, as the most complete player of his generation.

He went on to outline the 25-year-old's importance to Brazil's FIFA World Cupâ„¢ hopes this summer, saying: "If there's a player who I love to watch, that's Ronaldinho. He is different. I'm sure the national team will need a lot from him in Germany in 2006."

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 28, 2005, 12:33:17 PM »
27 November 2005
by The Press Association

Brazilian legend Pele has revealed that he rates Barcelona star Ronaldinho as "better than (Diego) Maradona".
Pele, whose full name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento, was speaking at the opening of Sao Vicente de Paula School in Niteroi city when he was asked to draw comparisons between the current jewel in Brazil's crown and Argentina's favourite son. The 65-year-old said: "There's no point in comparing Ronaldinho and Maradona. I think Ronaldinho is better than Maradona."

Pele, named FIFA Player of the Century, added that he sees Ronaldinho, who made his professional debut in Gremio before moving to Europe and Paris Saint-Germain, as the most complete player of his generation.

He went on to outline the 25-year-old's importance to Brazil's FIFA World Cupâ„¢ hopes this summer, saying: "If there's a player who I love to watch, that's Ronaldinho. He is different. I'm sure the national team will need a lot from him in Germany in 2006."

Yuh see, even de master himself,Pele, saying dat Ronaldinho better than Maradona. That should end that debate ;D

This brings to mind a previous thread...how Cyd go make out wid dis boy ;D ???
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Marcos

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 28, 2005, 01:42:44 PM »
Pele also said Columbia were winning WC 94 and that Dwarikah could play anywhere in the world

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #193 on: November 28, 2005, 01:51:10 PM »
27 November 2005
by The Press Association

Ronaldinho will end up being one of the greatest but something about that article sounding fishy. In a previous article Pele said that Ronaldinho is good but so are many other Brazilians. This to me seems as if Pele's playing down Ronaldinho's fame. In this one he says that Ronaldinho is better than Maradona. Is he trying to make Maradona look bad or trying to make Brazillians look good ?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #194 on: November 28, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Pele also said Columbia were winning WC 94 and that Dwarikah could play anywhere in the world

I remember that, it was after 92 Shell Cup. Dwarika did go on trial with Oviedo in Spain. Pele always is a politician and just know how to mamaguay certain people. 

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: November 28, 2005, 01:55:16 PM »

so wha yuh saying? yuh mean Dwarika can't play anywhere in de world ;D
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #196 on: November 28, 2005, 02:02:10 PM »
Every way Dwarika went they say the same thing. Talented but not physically fit to play outside there.

Offline slates

• Sr. Warrior
  • Big-up L'Anse Mitan Carenage
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 28, 2005, 02:30:35 PM »
There seems to be a pattern with WHERE Pele says WHAT he says.

He seem to know better than to talk unflatteringly about Ronaldinho in Brazil.  :-\
Toujour Pret!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ronaldinho wins it!
« Reply #198 on: November 28, 2005, 02:49:54 PM »
Ronaldinho wins Golden Ball award

By JEAN-LUC COURTHIAL, Associated Press Writer
November 28, 2005

PARIS (AP) -- Ronaldinho won the Golden Ball on Monday as European player of the year, another honor for the Brazilian following his FIFA player of the year award last year.

Ronaldinho, a midfielder who won the Spanish league title with Barcelona and the Confederations Cup with Brazil, is the third player from his country to win the Golden Ball following Rivaldo (1999) and Ronaldo (1997, 2002).

Ronaldinho finished ahead of Frank Lampard of Chelsea and Steven Gerrard of Liverpool. Andriy Shevchenko of AC Milan, last year's winner, placed fifth behind Thierry Henry of Arsenal.

"This is a dream come true," Ronaldinho said. "When I see all the names on the list, when I see my idols Ronaldo and Rivaldo, I realize this is a great honor."

Ronaldinho finished with 225 points, followed by Lampard (148) and Gerrard (142). The winner is chosen by France Football magazine's annual poll of 52 journalists from around the world. This is the 50th anniversary of the award, which was first won by England's Stanley Matthews.

Ronaldinho's cunning, speed, power and strength make him one of the most dangerous attacking players. He already has drawn comparisons to Diego Maradona.

"God gives gifts to everyone," Ronaldinho said. "Some can write, some can dance. He gave me the skill to play football and I am making the most of it."

The 25-year-old player joined Barcelona from Paris Saint-Germain in 2003 and has scored 33 league goals in 79 games, including nine this season. He also has scored 13 times in 19 Champions League games for Barcelona.

He has played 62 times for Brazil and scored 27 times. He helped the team win its fifth World Cup title in 2002 in Japan.

Ronaldinho works his magic for Barca and Brazil

By Simon Baskett

Ronaldinho, 2005 European Footballer of the Year.

MADRID, Nov 28 (Reuters) - If there were any doubts that Ronaldinho is the most exciting player in world football they were dispelled by his virtuoso performances for Barcelona last week.

The 25-year-old Brazilian gave a sublime display to lead Barca to a 3-0 victory over arch-rivals Real Madrid, scoring two solo goals in a display which brought the applauding Bernabeu crowd to their feet in admiration.

Four days later he steered the Catalans to a 3-1 win over Werder Bremen, notching a trademark free kick and providing the assists for the two other goals.

It is therefore no surprise that Ronaldinho completed a sweep of the game's three most important individual awards by being named European Footballer of the Year on Monday.

The toothy-grinned forward deserves his trophies not just for his astounding individual skills but also for the wider impact he has had on the game.

Two years ago he arrived at Barcelona after an unsettled two-season spell at Paris St Germain.

Barca's first choice signing David Beckham had snubbed a move to the Nou Camp, choosing instead to make the switch to the more fashionable Real Madrid.

Ronaldinho, welcomed by close to 30,000 fans on the day of his presentation, almost single-handedly restored Barca's shattered morale after four years of under-achievement.

CHILDLIKE ENTHUSIASM

Although the burden of expectation on his young shoulders was immense, Ronaldinho made light of the responsibility and never lost his almost childlike enthusiasm for the game.

Mesmerising step-overs, spectacular free kicks and defence-splitting passes were typical of Ronaldinho's contributions to Barcelona's season.

He inspired the team to a 17-match unbeaten run that lifted them to a second-place finish in the Primera Liga, their best placing in four years.

His presence at Barca helped convince Deco, Henrik Larsson, Samuel Eto'o, Edmilson and Juliano Belletti that the Nou Camp was the place to be.

After a slow start to his second campaign, he was soon back to his best.

He scored a stunning last-gasp winner in the 2-1 Champions League victory against AC Milan in November and then masterminded Barca's sparkling display of fluent, attacking football when they outclassed Real Madrid 3-0 at home.

Fifteen minutes of defensive madness meant the club was eliminated in the first knockout round of the Champions League by Chelsea, but no one will forget Ronaldinho's phenomenal goal in the second leg at Stamford Bridge.

Hypnotising the entire Chelsea defence with a samba-style swivel of the hips, he toe-poked the ball past Peter Cech from the edge of the area before the keeper knew what was happening.

Barcelona made up for that disappointment when they eased to their first league title in six years with Ronaldinho and leading scorer Eto'o the heroes of the season.

CELEBRATION

The biggest cheer of the club's celebration party came when the Brazilian sprinted out on to the pitch wearing a giant glove in the shape of his trademark thumb and little finger wave.

Little wonder then that Barca moved quickly to tie him to a new contract that would keep him in Catalunya until 2010.

While the rest of the Barcelona squad took a well-earned holiday, Ronaldinho reported for international duty.

He led Brazil to victory in the Confederations Cup in June, earning himself the man-of-the-match award after masterminding a 4-1 victory over Argentina in the final.

Like so many Brazilian internationals Ronaldinho has followed a well-trodden route from favela to football pitch.

Born into a family with a strong footballing tradition, Ronaldinho first hit the headlines when he top-scored for Brazil in their victory in the Under-17 world championship in 1997.

He helped the full Brazil side win the 1999 Copa America, notching six goals including a stunning individual effort against Venezuela, and was part of the team that won the 2002 World Cup.

He was instrumental in the 2-1 victory over England in the quarter-finals, scoring their second with a spectacular 30-metre free kick before being sent off, and returned from a one-match ban to play in the 2-0 victory over Germany in the final.

Alongside Adriano and Ronaldo he should spearhead the Brazil attack for next year's World Cup, and in his present form he is going to take some stopping.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2005, 03:07:39 PM by Grande man »

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Ronaldinho wins it!
« Reply #199 on: November 28, 2005, 03:02:39 PM »
There was only 3 men in the running. Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Sheva! I feel after that match against Real he seal the deal. Hard luck Eto'o though cause both of them going one for one. Ronaldinho run form the half and score against Real, Eto'o do it yesterday and beat 4 defenders to scrore.

Imagine chupid Real didn't want to buy the man cause he was in their minds ugly and therefore beckham was the better decision.

Anyhow well done Ronaldinho yuh deserve it.

Més que un club.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 28, 2005, 03:07:14 PM »

he is fantactic but not that great as yet and he doesnt have all the achievements and records that maradona and pele has. maybe if he keeps us how he is playing then yes. but not as yet he still has alot  to prove.

i would think more about zidane. he is a great player..

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 28, 2005, 03:07:57 PM »
There was only 3 men in the running. Ronaldinho, Eto'o and Sheva! I feel after that match against Real he seal the deal. Hard luck Eto'o though cause both of them going one for one. Ronaldinho run form the half and score against Real, Eto'o do it yesterday and beat 4 defenders to scrore.

Imagine chupid Real didn't want to buy the man cause he was in their minds ugly and therefore beckham was the better decision.

Anyhow well done Ronaldinho yuh deserve it.

Imagine Perez had de both ah dem..... and he let dem slip out he hands...

what an arse!!
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 28, 2005, 03:09:49 PM »
Between Pele and Maradonna I eh know who does talk more shit. Everytime they open they mouth is who is they replacement and who is the best. Me eh know why they do hush. I swear every month I does read a article bout some player they talking bout and comparing it to themself. Last week was Maradonna wanting Messi to wear No 10 now Pele talking s.hit bout Ronaldinho.

Més que un club.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 28, 2005, 03:13:15 PM »

what an arse!!

Yuh had to sing the ISasha song for them

They wanted ah pretty boy
ah football pretty boy

Més que un club.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
2005 Ballon D'or Results
« Reply #204 on: November 28, 2005, 03:31:24 PM »
1. Ronaldinho (Barcelona)
2. Frank Lampard (Chelsea)
3. Steven Gerrard (Liverpool)
4. Thierry Henry (Arsenal)
5. Andriy Shevchenko (AC Milan)
6. Paolo Maldini (AC Milan)
7. Adriano (Inter Milan)
8. Zlatan Ibrahimovic (Juventus)
9. Kaka (AC Milan)
10. Samuel Eto'o (Barcelona)
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 28, 2005, 03:32:39 PM »
nobody from man boo ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline monty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 28, 2005, 03:38:30 PM »

what an arse!!

Yuh had to sing the ISasha song for them

They wanted ah pretty boy
ah football pretty boy

thaz not prophet benajmin who sing that????

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 28, 2005, 03:41:53 PM »

thaz not prophet benajmin who sing that????

who ever is the same shit
point is Real had them fellas and let them go cause they eh fit into the Real pretty boy role. Whatever respect I had for Real is now all gone.

7. Adriano (Inter Milan)
9. Kaka (AC Milan)

That list in some sort of order or that is jes the men who was in the runnings. Cause I eh want to think they have Adriano ahead of Eto'o.

Més que un club.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 28, 2005, 03:42:16 PM »
They need to give Maldini a lifetime achievement award.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Ballon D'or Results
« Reply #209 on: November 28, 2005, 04:04:14 PM »
7. Adriano (Inter Milan)
9. Kaka (AC Milan)

Cafu should be on that list. With the exception of Maldini, I only seeing strikers and attacking midfielders. If not, give Cafu a lifetime achievement award too.  :beermug:

1]; } ?>