March 29, 2024, 02:54:12 AM

Author Topic: Keane to lose Edwards and Jones.  (Read 3492 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Keane to lose Edwards and Jones.
« on: March 20, 2008, 04:44:30 AM »
Keane to lose Edwards and Jones.
By: Ian Laws (Sunderland Echo).
[/size]

Roy Keane is resigned to losing Carlos Edwards and Kenwyne Jones to a gruelling Caribbean trip in the run-up to next weekend's clash with West Ham United. The Black Cats' pair are in the Trinidad & Tobago squad for Wednesday's friendly in Jamaica and are set to jet across the Atlantic after Sunderland's game at Aston Villa on Saturday.

Keane has made it clear he is unimpressed with the call-ups for two pivotal players, who now face a 9,000-mile round trip and will probably not return until the eve of the home game with the Hammers.

Edwards is only just back from a broken leg and Jones looked jaded after he took part in last month's friendly against Guadeloup in Trinidad.

Fifa rules state the players must be released for this date, and Keane says it was pointless asking for them to be left out. He said: "I didn't ask them for to be excused – I don't think it would be worth it, really. You have to try and treat every player and every country with the same respect.

"So there's nothing to be resolved – they are just like any other players who are selected. We don't have a choice in it. They'll play at the weekend and then off they'll go."

The Premier League campaign is at a tense stage at both ends of the table and the midweek internationals – all friendlies – have not been well received by managers who can ill-afford injuries.

Keane said: "I'm not a great fan of international friendlies – I wasn't a great fan of friendlies even as a player. I can understand why the international managers want them and I can understand the idea behind it, but the timing of these friendlies, at this stage of the season, is pretty crazy. And I'm sure every other manager up and down the country will be saying exactly the same."

Jones was in scintillating form against Chelsea last weekend and Sunderland need to keep him as fresh as possible because of the role he is likely to play in Sunderland's survival bid. Edwards returned from a three-and-a-half-month lay-off when he faced Chelsea and Keane sees him as a vital member of his squad for the run-in.

Kenwyne Jones has been described as the Premier League’s most potent threat by the man charged with combating him at the weekend.

Chelsea captain John Terry was given the task of marking Sunderland’s top scorer at the Stadium of Light on Saturday and although it was the England defender who broke his scoring drought in the Blues’ 1-0 win, it was Jones who was the talk of the visiting dressing room afterwards.

“He was fantastic and I have played against him twice now,” enthused Terry of Jones. “He is a very good player, very hard working and probably the best in the air in the entire Premier League. He really is that good. All the lads are talking about him afterwards, how well he did and how impressive he was.”

Twice in the latter stages of the game Jones’ prodigious leap created good chances for him. But the 6ft 2in Trinidad and Tobago international failed to take either and has now gone 10 games without scoring. Nevertheless Terry, who scored his first goal in 65 Chelsea appearances at the Stadium of Light, recognised the importance of the £6m signing from Southampton.

“If Sunderland can stay up and keep hold of him they have a fantastic chance of kicking on,” he said.

Meanwhile, Sunderland manager Roy Keane has admitted that he may try to bring former Manchester United striker Diego Forlan back to England, if the Black Cats avoid relegation from the Premier League.
The 28-year-old Uruguay international has been a massive hit in Spain with both Villarreal and now Atletico Madird, having been rumoured to be a Black Cats target last summer.

Keane told reporters: "I think we got linked with Diego last summer as well.

"As much as I think he's a top player, I think the priority for us at the moment is to stay in the Premier League.

"We have a few targets which we'll hopefully bring into the club in the summer, but obviously that will all depend on what league we're in.

"But we still believe we will be in the Premier League and if I was told that Diego was available, then maybe I would be interested."
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 04:49:10 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
Re: Keane to lose Edwards and Jones.
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2008, 05:00:18 AM »
"Keane said: "I'm not a great fan of international friendlies – I wasn't a great fan of friendlies even as a player. I can understand why the international managers want them and I can understand the idea behind it, but the timing of these friendlies, at this stage of the season, is pretty crazy. And I'm sure every other manager up and down the country will be saying exactly the same.""
what if you get chosen to be the Irish Manager then...are you going to ignore your players in other leagues?......right
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2008, 05:49:11 AM »

It funnu eh!!! But the Bigger dog bark!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2008, 07:15:05 AM »
Great maturity shown by Keene here!!

He basically was BIG enough to say that he has to respect every team and although he doesnt like the timing, he can understand the needs of an international mgr.

You can hear the unwillingness in his mouth, but he was still big enough to say it!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2008, 07:19:58 AM »
I feeling it for Sunderland here ,they really couldve done with out this .

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2008, 07:31:02 AM »
He hasn't a choice so he can't say anything else.  if he had the choice they wouldn't be coming its as simple as that.

It will be interesting given the circumstances to see  how long they both play for, especially Carlos.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2008, 09:10:51 AM »
Nuff respect to Keane ... :beermug:
Warrior For Life !!

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2008, 09:26:26 AM »

Sound like Carlos want to come...otherwise he cud have asked to stay.  Good sign about his health....I think.

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 10:34:01 AM »

When it was first announced that we were playing JA and that TTFF wanted to call up Carlos and Kenwyne, I was a bit worried, cuz I had purchased a tkt a while back to see them at Villa Park this Sat and wasn't sure how long in advanced the TTFF would have requested their services.

It appears though that they will be available for Sat's game. I'll be in attendance at Villa Park supporting the Trini trio, should be a good one.
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 10:35:39 AM »
nice to hear keane attempting to be diplomatic

welcome back carlos and jones
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 10:39:27 AM »
It appears though that they will be available for Sat's game. I'll be in attendance at Villa Park supporting the Trini trio, should be a good one.
ya wearing ya EA25 jursey todat game. :devil:
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 10:50:56 AM »
Keane aaaaaaaact like a biggggggggg mannnnnnnnn. Big Uppppppppppppp
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 11:57:30 AM »
ya wearing ya EA25 jursey todat game. :devil:

I wearing neutral colours....nothing to blow my cover
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 01:47:49 PM »

It funnu eh!!! But the Bigger dog bark!!!!!!!!!!!!

vs
TTFF and Jacko VS ROY  :rotfl:  :D. Hard luck Roy but Jack does always win
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 01:50:22 PM by Die.Hard.Warrior »
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2008, 08:44:38 PM »
Ah was thinking of Jack Warner's name and how well it fits him.  Just the ring that "Jack" has when its said. Is no sorf name eh. It souning jagged and wicked. Also he las name, well is WAR-nah!  Anyway I musbe board or sumting.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

1]; } ?>