March 28, 2024, 05:10:27 AM

Author Topic: Child’s play for Colombian professor.  (Read 7271 times)

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Child’s play for Colombian professor.
« on: March 21, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »
Child’s play for Colombian professor.
By: Lasana Liburd (Express)

Colombian coach Francisco Maturana is yet to give a full-length interview to the local media while his pronouncements are delivered in the third person, usually by assistant coach and stand-in translator Anton Corneal. No matter, because Trinidad and Tobago's new football boss is making himself understood where it matters most-language barrier be damned.

It is debatable where Wednesday's 1-0 friendly win over El Salvador at Macoya, decided by a superb Keon Daniel free kick, will stand in the wider scheme of Trinidad and Tobago's 2010 World Cup qualifying campaign.

Corneal claimed Wednesday's squad could comprise the backbone-at least the local version-of T&T's upcoming campaign but that sounded more than a touch generous. It is unlikely that more than six of the midweek 17-man squad will be in red, white and black gear on June 1 when England visit.

Surely, the T&T Pro League presence within the "Soca Warriors" will grow once Maturana gets a first-hand look at the likes of apparently unfashionable yet talented players like North East Stars defender Glenton Wolfe, United Petrotrin ball winner Romauld Aguilera and Superstar Rangers full back Corneal Thomas.

Pro League club owners, who grumbled at the indifference of previous Dutch coaches Leo Beenhakker and Wim Rijsbergen, would not have been enthused by the composition of Maturana's squad that again seemed to ignore many of their employees. But the difference between Maturana and his predecessors could not be more pronounced.

Rijsbergen was loathe to play without cramming his team with Europe-based professionals and often spoke in disparaging terms of the Pro League. Last October, the former Holland World Cup defender held El Salvador goalless in San Salvador and was keen to stress on the difficulties he overcame to achieve such a result.

The Dutchman told his press officer that he was handicapped by leading a team comprising solely Pro League players who lacked the required (and unspecified) fitness level and diets. For good measure, Rijsbergen also pointed out that the grass was too high.

Yet, Maturana beat El Salvador with two schoolboys in his starting XI and two more on the substitutes' bench. El Dorado Secondary Comprehensive, whose striker Jamaal Gay played the full 90 minutes on Wednesday, must have a mean fitness programme and well-stocked health bar.

"We have to start helping the future of (football in) Trinidad and Tobago," said Maturana, via Corneal, in the post-game press conference. It is a lofty though curious goal for any coach, particularly a foreign one.

Maturana is experienced enough to know it is the Warriors' results in 2008 and 2009, not 2012 and 2013, that will decide his future job prospects. The benefit of the odd cap is debatable too.

Gay and left back Akeem Adams joined the likes of Dwight Yorke, Clint Marcelle and Brian Williams on a list of schoolboys who represented their country at senior international level. That inventory also includes, for the record, Marvin Gordon and Addae Rique.

In short, unless Gay is going to be a regular traveller with the seniors-as Stern John was, 12 years ago-then how much would he benefit from the occasional cap as opposed to putting his head down and trying to make his name with the under-20s ?

But then the maturity of Gay and others is a debate for the future. Defence Force striker Richard Roy and Superstar Rangers forward Josimar Belgrave, two of the hottest young Pro League properties, might not enjoy the snub but there was much to savour in the attitude and application of Maturana's charges.

There was a fear-unless I am alone here-that some kids out of their depth would be muscled off the turf against an El Salvadorian outfit who started their World Cup qualifying programme in February with a 12-0 win over Anguilla.

Four starters from the Anguilla rout were absent on Wednesday while the scorers of 11 from the dozen goals were not in the starting team, which might half explain El Salvador's toothless performance. But it does not negate the attempt at patient, thoughtful play from the hosts.

The Warriors' passing looked painfully slow at times-patience surely is not a byword for idling-while right back Kern Cupid succumbed more than his teammates to the desire to whack the ball towards the opposing central defender. Yet, it was heartening to see the local team attempt to keep possession and calculate attacks with collective play.

In defence, too, they defended in two blocks of five players rather than tiring themselves out chasing the Central American outfit. The new-found subtlety seemed lost on the packed and otherwise appreciative audience who were itching for adrenalin.

"Allyuh put pressure on the ball!" they shouted.

"Stop playing around and kick the ball up!"

Perhaps Maturana might next consider dropping the age of the supporters.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 01:24:49 PM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Child's play for Maturana.
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 08:54:23 AM »
D age of d supporters good 1
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

truetrini

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:05:54 AM »
proves wim was a f**king goat!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:15:17 AM »

the only thing this proves is that you a level cussbud ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 09:21:36 AM »

go f**k ah French Champagne bottle.

Take yuh campaign to clean up de internet somewhere else.  Leave me tuh f**k alone.

Doh play yuh go start cyber stalking me...ah eh say yuh doing it..ah jes politely asking yuh tuh avoid yuh shit.

Simple.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:25:52 AM by truetrini »

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2008, 09:35:18 AM »
this prove two things

1. de last coach was to negative to the local players. and the new coach makes it looks easy and it can be done.

2. de supporters in tnt need to know that de game of football change. if u look at other big countries de playing style is different than tnt. so de fans need to increase de level of thinking.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2008, 09:39:06 AM »

go f**k ah French Champagne bottle.

Take yuh campaign to clean up de internet somewhere else.  Leave me tuh f**k alone.

Doh play yuh go start cyber stalking me...ah eh say yuh doing it..ah jes politely asking yuh tuh avoid yuh shit.

Simple.

I doh have a problem with you cussing. I have a problem with you drawing false conclusions and trying to spread it as gospel truth. You more intelligent than that.

Wim may or may not have been a ****ing goat, as you so eloquently put it, but you can't base that on the fact that we c side beat a el salvador c side 1-0 at home off a free kick.

Ah notice you doh seem to have nothing to say about the fact that since Wim gone, TTFF suddenly seem to have a conscience and lifting blacklist, allowing the man to pick the players he want, and organising friendly to boot.

We all know you have an axe to grind, but you choose the wrong millstone, dread.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2008, 09:50:26 AM »
Ah find real man getting carried away with a OK performance against a shit team.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2008, 10:26:48 AM »
Child's play for Maturana.

Maturana is experienced enough to know it is the Warriors' results in 2008 and 2009, not 2012 and 2013, that will decide his future job prospects. The benefit of the odd cap is debatable too.

i hope so .. Plus gay is going of to university i read somewhere
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2008, 10:29:39 AM »
Ah find real man getting carried away with a OK performance against a shit team.
Gives you an idea of how bad we were playing before doesnt it?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2008, 10:31:05 AM »
Gives you an idea of how bad we were playing before doesnt it?

so how bad were we playing before?

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2008, 11:07:17 AM »
What kind of article is this?

Is this motivating? Is it demotivating? Is it one that just states the facts?

Reading this article gives the impression that there is some kind ulterior motive!

Lisana, while acknowledging that the team improves, still appearing to want to shed some doubt or start some confusion.

He is indirectly criticizing the use of the young players..........a sure sign that you really cant please anybody these days!!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2008, 11:17:59 AM »

Reading this article gives the impression that there is some kind ulterior motive!

Lisana, while acknowledging that the team improves, still appearing to want to shed some doubt or start some confusion.

He is indirectly criticizing the use of the young players..........a sure sign that you really cant please anybody these days!!

ah love it!!

I dunno, but I kinda beg to differ...I think he is saying..unless these young warriors are going to be on the team on a regular basis, where they can continue to gain the necessary experience and confidence, it doh really make sense just trowing dem in dey on a one off basis..

Child's play for Maturana.

Gay and left back Akeem Adams joined the likes of Dwight Yorke, Clint Marcelle and Brian Williams on a list of schoolboys who represented their country at senior international level. That inventory also includes, for the record, Marvin Gordon and Addae Rique.

In short, unless Gay is going to be a regular traveller with the seniors-as Stern John was, 12 years ago-then how much would he benefit from the occasional cap as opposed to putting his head down and trying to make his name with the under-20s ?

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Gladman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2008, 11:18:55 AM »

ah love it!!

Can neva please ah trini no time no day,up until Keon Daniel score d free kick many fans in d stand was cussin d youth,then when he score dey love it.
Life Is Like Sugar Cane,It Hard But Sweet

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 11:28:22 AM »

Interesting that you can only read into it as "starting confusion". I think any "journalist" worth his salt, especially an analytical one such as Lasana presents himself to be, owes it to himself and to his readers to always ask the right questions at the right time.

Anyman with some knowledge of football could tell you what happen in a match. It take another kind of person to analyse the selection policy. Lasana has simply sought to put the match into its context - a friendly against a relatively weak side, supposedly aimed at fleshing through a certain number of players in anticipation of a serious world cup qualifying round.
Is not Lasana job to jump on the Maturana bandwagon eyes closed and flag waving...

On the chat during the game I asked the same question : How many of these fellas do you see as being part of the qualifying (even in the early stages) Is not anything to do with being sceptical. I honestly don't know.

Offline THETRUFF

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 11:38:29 AM »
I remembered leading up to the 2006 World Cup....almost all the top ranked teams were playing these friendlies against lower ranked opposition...and there were the critics making comments about the true purpose of this tactic. I wasnt fortunate to see the game in any aspect...and Im not sure what kind of team El Salvador brought....but what is clear though is that Maturana  played local...and young players...with only one substitution all game...Maybe its to early to speculate...but this is the direction of progress....we have to give the youth a chance....we need a "TEAM" to take us to South Africa..and personally i hope that the core of our defense is local base players....Defense win matches...offense sells tickets...we need defenders to play together..REGULARLY..and develop that special relationship which all sound teams have with their defenders..
Similarly the truff is that the senior overseas players we have are coming to the end of their shelf life..and change is desperately needed within our national team makeup. As i said before..it may be to early yet to draw long term conclusions from this result.....but in competition a victory will always boost morale and confidence...whether or not the opposition fields what can be called a weak team...at international level...every team plays to win.....and we won..and that has to be motivational....we play Jamaica next....so lets march on and hopefully field the majority of the players from the El Salvador game..and see what time it is for Trinidad football

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »
DeSoWa, what i saying is that Maturana is doing something really positive in Trinidad football.  He is really working with our local players and trying to bring them up to international standard.

This is not a process that happens overnight.  He screened so many players and he has chosen the men that are best suited to the way in which he plans to take trinidad foward.

I cant believe that people expect him to make us world beaters in 2 months.  Lisana is seems as if no matter what Maturana does, he will have something to say about it.  

When last we had a coach that is brave enough to go to the "office" with a fully local line up (barring the foward line).  This man is securing our future and in the process making us very competitive.

Who did Benhakker leave for us? Where are the players who developed under Beenie? Can they take us forward?  Theobald? Spann? Glenn? where are they?

Where is the young defender who went to the world cup and is now ready to lead our team? Where is the young midfielder? Where is the winger?

It ent have none!!

So i support Maturana, do your thing.......i rather we lose 4-0 in Jamaica with this team who obviously seems to be learning.

The fact that touches ent pong them fellas in his report is enough to convince me of the good work that he is doing.

ah love it!!

and midknight, the reason i used the word confusion was bcuz of an earlier article that lisana had about the selection policy..............."if jack go pick de side for maturana"

I just vex that we have a 16 year old in we starting line up against central american opposition (which is better than anything in the caribbean barring jam, cuba and haiti) that played 90 mins and was part of a clean sheet and lisana still wondering if it better he play for the U20s

Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 12:08:39 PM »
DeSoWa, what i saying is that Maturana is doing something really positive in Trinidad football.  He is really working with our local players and trying to bring them up to international standard.

This is not a process that happens overnight.  He screened so many players and he has chosen the men that are best suited to the way in which he plans to take trinidad foward.

I cant believe that people expect him to make us world beaters in 2 months.  Lisana is seems as if no matter what Maturana does, he will have something to say about it.  

When last we had a coach that is brave enough to go to the "office" with a fully local line up (barring the foward line).  This man is securing our future and in the process making us very competitive.

Who did Benhakker leave for us? Where are the players who developed under Beenie? Can they take us forward?  Theobald? Spann? Glenn? where are they?

Where is the young defender who went to the world cup and is now ready to lead our team? Where is the young midfielder? Where is the winger?

It ent have none!!

So i support Maturana, do your thing.......i rather we lose 4-0 in Jamaica with this team who obviously seems to be learning.

The fact that touches ent pong them fellas in his report is enough to convince me of the good work that he is doing.

ah love it!!

and midknight, the reason i used the word confusion was bcuz of an earlier article that lisana had about the selection policy..............."if jack go pick de side for maturana"

I just vex that we have a 16 year old in we starting line up against central american opposition (which is better than anything in the caribbean barring jam, cuba and haiti) that played 90 mins and was part of a clean sheet and lisana still wondering if it better he play for the U20s

This is a good post... At some point in time, these same youngsters will be the ones that we will be relying on 100% to take us through a qualifying campaign, be it 2010, 2014 or 2018. Maybe we lack the foresight but as an example, the two wing backs if given the continuous exposure, be a permanent fixture in the team for the next ten years. Everybody only wants to see the end result and not the painful beginings.

Somebody show me d last time our U-20 team play an international friendly to get exposure for younger players

And yes sometimes the beginings are sometimes painful.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 12:10:20 PM »
AS, I agree with you on the Maturana issue, we cool with that and I happy we are fielding some youths for the future... :beermug:

My only issue, which I don't agree on is that you think Lasana is trying to make confusing with his "objective eye opener" report.

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 12:12:24 PM »
Andre like you on a role these days,Breds you could not have said it better nice post,what people have to realize Maturana eh come here to coach Benie's team,it's seems like he ain't care who went to the WC,he is given a job and he doing everything from scratch,from what i'm seeing he is looking at all players alike,everybody being looked at and have a chance,even discarded players being called back,the man showing us he is doing his thing,his way,i'm not saying he will be successful,he will have to deal with that when the time comes,no Coach have ever lasted any time with our national teams includeing Benie,is either they get fired or they get out on their own.      

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2008, 12:40:12 PM »

lol  :D
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Child’s play for Colombian professor.
« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2008, 01:44:11 PM »
i agree with andre, this article kinda weird.
is like liburd didnt have nutten to write and just wanted to pen some stuff on his mind.

i guess he is just trying to show the apparant youth policy of the colombian, the pros and cons of it, while at the same time taking a little shot at him for not being the most forthcoming when it comes to interviews.

WHat was liburd's opinion on beenie again? After all, we have never had such an arrogant coach before.

But before he starts sowing seeds of unpopularity on wim and maybe even beenie, he will do well to rememeber that beenie and wim are the most successful coaching team in our nation's history.

as for the youth policy, i love it.

give some of these diamonds in the rough a chance.

It would be interesting to know if beenhakker was in charge in 1989, whether we would even know the name of dwight yorke today.

But then again, we might have qualified for italy.

Sometimes these yutes develop in a way we cannot predict when given these chances. We need to be more brave and give them more chances. But in a structured, strategic way.

As our most successful coach had rightly said when he was still in charge - in football, 1+1 rarely ever equals 2.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 02:50:17 PM »
Interesting to note that El Salvador's press is lamenting their inability to beat us @ home in 40 years of trying. Tallman, I'll leave the specifics to you. I don't know how many times we've played them @ home.

From lasana's article:
Four starters from the Anguilla rout were absent on Wednesday while the scorers of 11 from the dozen goals were not in the starting team, which might half explain El Salvador's toothless performance. But it does not negate the attempt at patient, thoughtful play from the hosts.

As best as I can tell, El Salvador lacked three (3) players - in the touring party - Ronald Cerritos and Dennis Alas ...the USL players ... Alas scored against us during last year's Gold Cup ... and Eliseo Quintanilla (plays in Costa Rica for Alajuense).

Cerritos accounted for 3 of the goals v Anguilla. Quintanilla scored 1 item. Of the other 8 goals El Salvador scored versus Anguilla, 5 were scored by Rudis Corrales (who played this week; not sure whether he started); 2 by Shawn Hasani Martin (the naturalised Nicaraguan who opened the scoring v Anguilla; also on tour to T&T) and the remaining goal by Emerson Umana (also on tour of T&T).

It seems Lasana's nuance lies in who started and who didn't. Half explanation or not.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2008, 02:59:56 PM »
Interesting to note that El Salvador's press is lamenting their inability to beat us @ home in 40 years of trying. Tallman, I'll leave the specifics to you. I don't know how many times we've played them @ home.

From lasana's article:

As best as I can tell, El Salvador lacked three (3) players - in the touring party - Ronald Cerritos and Dennis Alas ...the USL players ... Alas scored against us during last year's Gold Cup ... and Eliseo Quintanilla (plays in Costa Rica for Alajuense).

Cerritos accounted for 3 of the goals v Anguilla. Quintanilla scored 1 item. Of the other 8 goals El Salvador scored versus Anguilla, 5 were scored by Rudis Corrales (who played this week; not sure whether he started); 2 by Shawn Hasani Martin (the naturalised Nicaraguan who opened the scoring v Anguilla; also on tour to T&T) and the remaining goal by Emerson Umana (also on tour of T&T).

It seems Lasana's nuance lies in who started and who didn't. Half explanation or not.

Good research & very good post- but the point remains that if those guys didn't start or didn't feature in their regular capacity, (Which would be the only saving Grace to the meritocracy of Lisana's implication), then we still faced a weakened E.S. team which I think is the overall gist of the author's statements.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2008, 03:08:41 PM »
Look Pacho have to start from "scratch". He is building "his" team. He has to build a nucleus of local players as soon as possible. I think he needs to play more international games against both "soft" and "tough" opponents. We are behind at least 1 year in the rebuilding process, because of the special advisor numerous decision, and not because of Wim. Wim did not controll TT football. He just stated some facts about TT football that he saw was lacking. He complained about players fitness level and commitment.  He also had to deal with the blacklist. I agreed he was not diplomatic.

But, Let us forget Wim and deal with Pacho. He is the man on the coal-pot right now. Lets see what he presents against JA. This will be his 3rd game. We need about 6 more games like these before August, before the EPL resumes.

Offline Source

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2008, 03:29:27 PM »
What one has to recognize is that Maturana and Beenie are two different coaches in terms of their approach. Beenie is a coach that would come in and get things done by using the best players that are immediately available. He will never look to develop local players. He wants players that have already reached a certain level of proficiency.

Maturana, coming from a different part of the world (Colombia as opposed to the Netherlands), understands the effect of starting at the grass root level. He has more interest in preparing the "diamonds in the rough" than polishing the silver that we have.

When was the last time you saw a high profile coach scrimmaging with his team? Maturana is comfortable working with the local talents. I think it's their methodology based on their background and culture. Most coaches in the Dutch system don't have to teach fundamentals to adult players as they would have mastered that in their early years. The colombian system, though more advanced than tt's, is similar.

Hat's off to coach Maturana.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
Ah tink yuh also have to consider timing. Remember Beenie came in, in the middle of the Hex. Not even in the early rounds of the qualifiers. He didn't have time to develop nobody. He needed players who could get de job done. Pacho has the luxury of time (not much but definitely more than Beenie) to look at and consider developing players to play in the qualifiers.

And I eh mean to take nothing away from Pacho. Ah like de approach he taking and hats off to him fuh dis win.

Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2008, 04:03:10 PM »
Anyway bros, we can analyze Pacho's method as oppose to Beenie's from now to the next game. In the final analysis, it will be the results that counts. In Pacho's case,  it will be more than the won/loss record. It will be which one of these youngbloods will shine enough to get a contract overseas. Then we can say, " yuh see dah guy dey, Pacho responsible for he, yuh know"

When was the last time you see a coach scrimmage with his team?  Alvin was damn good at that! Free kicks and corners. Alvin can show you exactly where to put the ball.  Coops can do that too.!!!!

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2008, 04:15:49 PM »

Sounds like de press jes trying tuh make ah setta noise. This is only de second time dat El Salvador's senior team has played in T&T. De last time was in 1989 when we beat dem 2-0 on a double by Leonson. De 40 years ting dem talking about includes things like Olympic Qualifiers.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2008, 04:18:48 PM »
Lol...Lasana ent playing no cut cards at all  :D

1]; } ?>