April 24, 2024, 11:52:01 AM

Author Topic: Tiger Woods Watch in 2008  (Read 3213 times)

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Tiger Woods Watch in 2008
« on: March 22, 2008, 12:08:41 AM »
This year could turn out to be his best year ever, and if he does top his achievements from the year 2000,  then there would be  no doubt that  Tiger is the greatest sportsman in the history of all sports.

Last week at A. Palmer’s tournament, Tiger again showed his greatness.  On the 18th hole, and under pressure, the guy again hit 2 very high quality shots.  Then we  thought that it was not really possible to make the put, but still expecting the impossible, Tiger again thrilled us.    All the superlatives to describe this guy were exhausted a long time ago.  All we can do is sit back and watch in complete amazement.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 10:13:36 PM by StoreBayLimer »

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Tiger Woods Watch in 2008
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008, 10:16:42 PM »

The Masters
  Thursday  10 April ---  Sunday  13 April.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2008, 12:42:14 AM »

Typical slow start for Tiger! On Friday he is 7 behind the leaders, but realistically he is only 3 behind those who have a reasonable probability of winning.   Saturday is typically moving day.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2008, 08:59:59 AM »

Saturday is typically moving day.

what dat mean?...is that a golf term?
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008, 01:44:39 PM »

Saturday is typically moving day.

what dat mean?...is that a golf term?

Yes, Saturday is moving day, is a sort of golf slang.  Sat is usually the day when Tiger would make a big move and if he ends up on the top of the leaderboard, then he is usually unbeatable. 

I think I heard a statistic that in 6 of the last 7 masters, the winner came from the last group.  Given that and the fact that Tiger has never won a major when he is not leading after 54 holes, then his chances today appear to be slim.  But Tiger has performed so many feats of greatness, that a lot of people (myself included) will be looking on with expectations, expecting to be awed once again.

Immelman is in a good position, he can simply not take chances and play for par on every hole and win.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2008, 07:57:45 PM »

Many experts are saying that after the knee surgery it is unlikely that he will win the U.S open.   All the talking heads are saying the he should have played the tournament last week, to get in shape for the open.  It is true that on the last 2 occasions when he played immediately after having knee surgery, he played poorly. But this time it seems as though things would be different.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2008, 10:25:24 PM »
I was watching him today for a few holes and I am asking myself.....
"Is he bulking up?"
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2008, 09:20:24 AM »
"Is he bulking up?"

Woods has always lifted weights and tried to put on as much muscle as possible.  I think that as he gets older, then our picture of his usual teenage or mid 20’s thin frame, has to adjust to the additional bulk that comes with age.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2008, 09:20:44 AM »
Oh lawd oh, Tiger Woods, Tiger Woods!  It is really clear that the superlatives alone cannot describe what this man is doing and the effects of his performance on spectators like us.  There was another presence with woods on that back 9 on Saturday.  It was not technically his best golf; I think that his performance in the US open in 2000 was his best display of shot making etc.  But on Saturday we say a wounded player coming up with the shots and giving us a performance that ranks right up there with his best ever.

On Friday night after looking at the highlights of Friday’s play there was one or two words wow , incredible.  And for him to beat that on Saturday …. .  Whatever happens today (and with that knee it could be awful), I will remain in awe of Woods at this year’s open.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2008, 10:36:43 AM »
Yeah Breds I actually sit down and watch the last two holes (I cyah watch golf and cricket ordinarily) dat fellah in de black shirt (ah forget he name) shoot heself in the foot...that putt was HIS to take de damn ting, he ball was closer

as for the the putt that Tiger make  :notworthy:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 11:33:39 PM »
He surreal
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2008, 06:42:09 PM »
Tiger done for the year.

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2008, 09:29:51 AM »
sad real sad rest up and come back better if possible 2 b better
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2008, 04:14:31 PM »
It is always sad to see a great athlete take time off due to injury, but in so many ways that is the nature of sport.

Woods display on Saturday was awesome, and his shot on the 18th on Sunday was another Tiger moment for the ages.   In any case I still think that his play at the 2000 US open was the best display of golf of all time.   In any case it is always enlightening to read articles like the one below from one of the experts.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%
From skysports

Heroic Tiger feat
US-based British sports-writer Simon Veness offers his thoughts from Over There after the US Open

Posted: 22nd June 2008 14:41

Extraordinary. Phenomenal. Legendary. Those were just a few words being bandied around here in the US in the wake of one of the most thrilling and unpredictable golf tournaments any of us are likely to witness.

And that was before it was discovered the injury to Tiger Woods' left knee will now keep him out for the rest of the season.
The adjectives since then are pretty much off the scale, but they start at 'wondrous' and escalate off into the upper stratosphere of literary munificence.
If we thought the sport of golf was already hooked on every shot and utterance of one man, it is even more the case this week. And you know what? Every cough, spit and splutter is fully deserved.
The simple fact is, there are no words to explain satisfactorily what we saw over five days at Torrey Pines; no ordinary measure of achievement by which to judge Tiger's 14th Major success; and no way of really knowing just how much mental and physical agony he went through to edge out the valiant Rocco Mediate on the 91st hole of a true sporting epic.
The pundits here are struggling bravely to equate the Battle of Wounded Knee with all and any previous examples of gallantry on the sporting fields of America, including Los Angeles Rams' Jack Youngblood playing in Super Bowl XIV with a broken leg.

Hall of Pain

And the general consensus is that Woods earns the No 1 spot in the Hall of Pain, possibly by a large margin.
Five days; 91 holes; in the spotlight every moment; and with the massive weight of expectation adding to the equally heavy burden of a torn ACL and double stress fracture of the left leg.
Those of us who watched every hole of those 91 (albeit from the comfort of the sofa) will have been left in no doubt this was an achievement for the ages, even allowing for the relatively feeble challenge from some of the other so-called big names in world golf (Phil Mickelson? He started the final day 12 shots off the lead. Three-time Major winner Ernie Els? A reasonable 14th, but five-over-par for the final two rounds. Or how about top European and world No 6 Sergio Garcia? He never threatened on the Sunday, slumping to a 74 and six over, the same as Mickelson).
No, it was left to journeyman Mediate and Britain's resurgent Lee Westwood to provide the main threats, and both performed admirably in the circumstances.
But this Open wasn't so much about the competition as about Tiger's ability to overcome his own physical stresses.
The pain was clearly etched on his face on numerous occasions but we could only guess at what was going on inside that knee, despite innumerable close-ups. The TV commentators were equally helpless to estimate accurately the toll that joint was taking on arguably the most famous sportsman on the planet.
But still we marvelled at his eagle-starred performance on the Saturday; his stunning birdie finish on Sunday to force the play-off; and the unforgettable drama of the final holes on Monday, including another nerveless birdie on the 18th.
Many were quick to acclaim the tournament right then as possibly the greatest of all time (hard to argue for that with the relative poverty of the rest of the field). Yet the full picture was still not revealed for almost another 48 hours.
The true enormity of his victory, basically playing on one leg and gritting his teeth through not one but two major injuries, finally surfaced only on Wednesday with the announcement of the end of Tiger's season and the subsequent medical details.
Golf, as a sport, took a huge indrawing of breath and has yet to exhale fully. Pundits scrambled to assess what they were hearing and pronounce judgment on this unprecedented news.
Of course, the fundamental verdict is not one to cast much positive light over the other 155 men who started the 108th US Open, or who contended in any of the other tournaments in which Woods has competed for the last year or so.
That verdict insists, fairly plainly, that Tiger on one leg is pretty much better than any of the others on two; a chasm of ability which no-one seems likely to bridge anytime soon.

Totally unique

But it is not so much the gap to The Rest as the realisation of where Woods truly is; how far he has advanced the sport in competitive terms and what makes him totally unique in the sport's annals.
You can pretty much decide that no-one else has ever been so driven, so single-minded, so utterly undeniable on a golf course. Add in a talent level that has always been little short of sensational and you can make a clear case for Tiger being one of the greatest of any sport and any generation.
Predictably, the gasps of astonishment have already led to pronouncements of The End of The Season As We Know It, with no meaningful golf for the rest of the year, including Royal Birkdale and September's Ryder Cup in Kentucky.
That may be a touch premature (those events WILL still take place and there will be winners, despite the lack of a Tiger!), but it is understandable how many will feel a huge sense of anti-climax at tournaments without the world No 1 in attendance.
However, it will also serve as a six-month reminder of the events of Torrey Pines in June. I wrote last week that if the wounded Tiger was, somehow, to win the US Open, it would be a mighty leap forward on his inexorable March to History.
It may have become, ultimately, a horribly crippled leap, but it was most certainly a jump of heroic proportions.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008, 04:16:35 PM by StoreBayLimer »

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2008, 08:25:50 PM »
"Is he bulking up?"

Woods has always lifted weights and tried to put on as much muscle as possible.  I think that as he gets older, then our picture of his usual teenage or mid 20’s thin frame, has to adjust to the additional bulk that comes with age.
ok, i go go wid dat ;)
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

1]; } ?>