April 23, 2024, 10:21:29 PM

Author Topic: Patterson scores twice to lead Battery over Toronto.  (Read 4742 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Patterson scores twice to lead Battery over Toronto.
« on: March 23, 2008, 09:12:31 AM »
Patterson scores twice to lead Battery over Toronto.
By: Andrew Miller (The Post & Courier).
[/size]

If you haven't seen Charleston Battery striker Randi Patterson play this season, you might want to get out to Blackbaud Stadium pretty soon.

If Patterson has another performance like the one he had Saturday night against Toronto FC, the former UNC Greensboro All-American might not be in a Battery uniform for long.

Patterson had two goals and Dusty Hudock made four saves as the Battery blanked Toronto FC 2-0 in the final night of the Carolina Challenge Cup before a crowd of about 3,500 at Blackbaud Stadium.

The Battery finished the week-long round robin tournament against Major League Soccer opponents with a 1-1-1 mark.

San Jose wrapped up the tournament title Wednesday night after victories over Charleston (2-0) and Toronto FC (1-0) last weekend. It was the second Carolina Challenge Cup title for the Earthquakes, who captured the event in 2005.

The Trinidad and Tobago striker, who played for the New York Red Bulls last season, is hoping to get another shot to play in the MLS.

"I always have something to prove when I step on the field," Patterson said. "I just want to make it to the next level. I'm just trying to score some goals and do my job. Hopefully someone out there notices me. But right now, I'm happy to be here and I'll do my job as best I can."

For now, Charleston coach Mike Anhaeuser is just pleased to have Patterson in a Battery uniform.

"Randi is a goal scorer and that was his forte even in college," Anhaeuser said. "Randi could get signed by an MLS team any day, so you can't worry about it. That's why we're trying to build some depth. Hopefully, he's getting on track and the team is getting on track, and we can keep that rolling into the regular season.

"We have to take it one step at a time. We've still got three weeks left before the regular season. We have to keep building on this."

Toronto FC had the first real scoring chance in the 17th minute. Striker Jeff Cunningham, who has 96 career goals in the MLS, got the ball just outside the 18-yard box, dribbled to his left and got around Marco Reda. Hudock came storming off his line for the challenge and made a diving save to stop Cunningham's shot attempt.

The Battery took a 1-0 lead on Patterson's goal in the 38th minute. Midfielder Alonso Osualdo got the ball on the right side about 35 yards out and served a ball into the 18-yard box. Patterson got just enough of Osualdo's pass to knock it past Toronto FC keeper Brian Edwards for the score.

Patterson gave the Battery a 2-0 lead with his header in the 50th minute. Midfielder Darren Spicer got the ball on the right side and served a beautiful ball into the 6-yard box. Patterson's diving header beat Edwards on the left side for the score.
TFC leaves Carolina on losing note.
Toronto FC Media Relations.

Toronto FC closed out their second annual trip to the Carolina Challenge Cup with a 2-0 loss to the host Charleston Battery finishing the tournament with a record of 0-2-1.

Charleston, who open their USL 1st Division season on April 19th were enjoying most of the pressure early on, but Toronto had the first real chance in the 17th minute when Collin Samuel hit Jeff Cunningham with a pass up the left side, Cunningham took a shot from the awkward angle and Battery keeper Dusty Hudock made a great one handed save to keep things scoreless.

The first goal of the match though would be scored by the home side in an odd play. The ball was served into the area by Osvaldo Alonso, Mike Richardson got a touch on it - and somehow keeper Brian Edwards would end up standing by as the ball rolled over the line near the far post. Charleston had the lead after the 38th minute, and there would be no more scoring to end the first 45.

Second half no changes on the field for TFC, and in the 49th minute Edwards was called into action as Randi Patterson, zeroed in on goal and took aim from the left hand side that was nicely saved by the rookie. Patterson was drafted by the Red Bulls in 2007 but was later waived by the team in February of this year. Not long after that chance, Patterson would double the home side's lead in the 50th. Darren Spicer played in a great cross from the right side and it was a great goal on a diving header by Patterson that found the back of the net past Edwards. Patterson perhaps trying to prove a point with Red Bull management who were in the crowd watching the game as he almost came up with the hat trick 3 minutes later - but Edwards was there to make a great diving stop.

TFC under a flurry of pressure from the home side - and unfortunately had a goal called back in the 57th as Joey Melo played a nice little chip up to Cunningham who looped it over the keeper - but it was called for offside.

Late stages, both Marco Velez, and Pat Phelan produced headers that just flew over the top of the goal providing an opportunity to pull one back - however it wasn't to be as the Battery prevailed for the 2-0 victory.

This game marks the final preseason contest for Toronto as they kick off the 2008 MLS Regular season next Saturday, March 29 in Columbus to take on the Crew.

Toronto midfielder Carl Robinson was absent from tonight's game, as he was back home in Wales attending to personal matters.

The second game of the evening to wrap up the tournament featured the San Jose Earthquakes, and New York Red Bulls. Even before either of these two games kicked off Saturday night, the expansion Earthquakes were already crowned champions of the Carolina Challenge Cup having won their previous two games for a total of 6 points. The Earthquakes previously won the Cup in 2005 before the team was relocated to Houston.

Toronto returns home Sunday after a long stint on the road and will be off Monday before resuming training on Tuesday at BMO Field. A schedule of media availability will go out on Monday.

Scoring Summary:
CHL: Randi Patterson (Osvaldo Alonso) 38'
CHL: Randi Patterson (Darren Spicer) 50'

Toronto FC Line up: - Brian Edwards, Marco Velez, Tyrone Marshall, Pat Phelan, Jim Brennan, Martin Brittain (Jarrod Smith 67), Joey Melo (Todd Dunivant 67, Gabe Gala 89), Kevin Harmse, Collin Samuel, Jeff Cunningham (Danny Dichio 77), Kevin Gall.

Charleston Battery Line up: - Dusty Hudock, Tim Veltan, Marco Reda, John Wilson, Nelson Akwari, Darren Spicer, Osvaldo Alonso, Pato Aguilera, Mike Richardson, Lester More (Aaron King 59), Randi Patterson (Kendall Jagdeosingh 84).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2008, 09:28:21 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Patterson scores twice to lead Battery over Toronto.
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 11:32:53 AM »
That's a lot of games and ravel in a week.  Good for you!  keep the Warriors  flag fluying and get into goal scoring form for the qualifiers.  I am seeing what seems to be a new page in TT football witht he old guard llike Stern, Lawrence being replaced by yonger hungrier players. Daryl Roberts, Randi Patterson,, Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland and hopefully a fit and sharp Cornell Glen being the striking core.  But we have to unearth some great midfielders who can control the game.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 11:38:19 AM »
That's a lot of games and ravel in a week.  Good for you!  keep the Warriors  flag fluying and get into goal scoring form for the qualifiers.  I am seeing what seems to be a new page in TT football witht he old guard llike Stern, Lawrence being replaced by yonger hungrier players. Daryl Roberts, Randi Patterson,, Kenwyne Jones, Jason Scotland and hopefully a fit and sharp Cornell Glen being the striking core.  But we have to unearth some great midfielders who can control the game.
  is funny u say we need a mid ,when palos say  Keon Daniel  loves that position ,and is a great player ,can anyone explain.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 11:56:07 AM »
Nice job Patterson, no doubt he will be back in 1st division ball this season.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 12:21:54 PM »
  is funny u say we need a mid ,when palos say  Keon Daniel  loves that position ,and is a great player ,can anyone explain.

i like palos think keon daniel is a boss (using de term losely) and was definetly played out of position in dat left back position as maturana played him de other day. definetly a winger or inside midfielder. nifty, quick and thinks on de ball. He is de only reason ah aint cussin dat latas, hardest, dawrika or oliver not in de middle of de park.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 01:27:39 PM »
Charleston Battery Line up: - Dusty Hudock, Tim Veltan, Marco Reda, John Wilson, Nelson Akwari, Darren Spicer, Osvaldo Alonso, Pato Aguilera, Mike Richardson, Lester More (Aaron King 59), Randi Patterson (Kendall Jagdeosingh 84).

How allyuh miss we boy Kendall Jagdeosingh was the one who replaced Randi Patterson....
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 05:45:10 PM »

Keon may be what we need but he has not yet established a himself and though he had a good game against El Salvador, from all reports, he was not dominating; did not control the game. Agaiin I am talking based on reports of the game.  If he is the one then that is just wahat we want.  Nothing against him!

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 09:25:19 PM »
i like palos think keon daniel is a boss (using de term losely) and was definetly played out of position in dat left back position as maturana played him de other day. definetly a winger or inside midfielder. nifty, quick and thinks on de ball. He is de only reason ah aint cussin dat latas, hardest, dawrika or oliver not in de middle of de park.

he played left midfield against el salvador. was ok. i didn't think he looked like a natural winger though.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 03:01:54 AM »

Keon may be what we need but he has not yet established a himself and though he had a good game against El Salvador, from all reports, he was not dominating; did not control the game. Agaiin I am talking based on reports of the game. If he is the one then that is just wahat we want. Nothing against him!

Cosign on that one. The problem is we get good and spoil by the KING in midfield, not to mention Yorke and Nahkid. So Keon Daniel, Hardest, Oliver and the rest of them have to come real good to even pass as a wanna-be. Latas was already a legend in T&T football when he was only a schoolboy. Keon and dem not even T&T legends and they already reach in the PFL.

As it stands the only fellas on the horizon who could someday step in Latapy shoes with authority are maybe some current U-20 and  U-17 players.

In the mean time lets appreciate what we have:  The best attacking core in the whole Caribbean, a promising back line and hope for some great mids to piece it all together.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:04:27 AM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 05:41:34 AM »

Keon may be what we need but he has not yet established a himself and though he had a good game against El Salvador, from all reports, he was not dominating; did not control the game. Agaiin I am talking based on reports of the game. If he is the one then that is just wahat we want. Nothing against him!

Cosign on that one. The problem is we get good and spoil by the KING in midfield, not to mention Yorke and Nahkid. So Keon Daniel, Hardest, Oliver and the rest of them have to come real good to even pass as a wanna-be. Latas was already a legend in T&T football when he was only a schoolboy. Keon and dem not even T&T legends and they already reach in the PFL.

As it stands the only fellas on the horizon who could someday step in Latapy shoes with authority are maybe some current U-20 and  U-17 players.

In the mean time lets appreciate what we have:  The best attacking core in the whole CONCACAF, a promising back line and hope for some great mids to piece it all together.

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 08:59:37 AM »

In the mean time lets appreciate what we have:  The best attacking core in the whole CONCACAF, a promising back line and hope for some great mids to piece it all together.

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D

;D ;D ;D :cheers: :cheers:
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:01:14 AM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline trinsolutions

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:00 AM »
i hope patterson do the same thing this wednesday

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 09:14:39 AM »

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D

Sunderland leading scorer(ranked 7th in assists in the EPL), Swansea City and League One leading scorer, Southampton leading scorer and currently ranked 3rd in League Championship, Sparta Rotterdam leading scorer....hmmmm....on paper we probably do have the best attacking core in CONCACAF.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 09:23:55 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 09:21:09 AM »

In the mean time lets appreciate what we have:  The best attacking core in the whole Caribbean, a promising back line and hope for some great mids to piece it all together.

As long as we could win with that then I will take that and be happy.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 10:54:44 AM »

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D

Sunderland leading scorer(ranked 7th in assists in the EPL), Swansea City and League One leading scorer, Southampton leading scorer and currently ranked 3rd in League Championship, Sparta Rotterdam leading scorer....hmmmm....on paper we probably do have the best attacking core in CONCACAF.

Compare to Johnson, Altadiore, Adu, Dempsey, Donovan..and co. , plus the Mexican frontline, and we definitely behind, in my opinion.

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2008, 11:01:58 AM »

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D

Compare to Johnson, Altadiore, Adu, Dempsey, Donovan..and co. , plus the Mexican frontline, and we definitely behind, in my opinion.

and you stand alone
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D

and you stand alone
No he don't.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2008, 11:45:50 AM »

FIXED IT FOR YUH ;D

Sunderland leading scorer has how many goals this season?

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2008, 08:52:18 PM »
I really liking this fellas, great find who ever discovered him.  he look reall fit and like he lift weights too. he could be the next stern john body wise.  I wish Stern John take him under his wings and mold him

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2008, 12:00:26 PM »

Latapy wid about 2 or 3 other young midfielders, will be sweet. We go be killing 2 birds wid one stone dey. We go be getting de service of de general one more time and his presence alone will motivate de entire team, especially de young lad or lads dat will take over his (Latapy) position full time in de future. Ah know some ah all yuh go say, "Supa give it up, Latapy  gone for good now". Well ah refuse to give up, ah think he coming back one more time  :praying: HIGHLY BLESSED
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2008, 12:16:58 PM »

Latapy wid about 2 or 3 other young midfielders, will be sweet. We go be killing 2 birds wid one stone dey. We go be getting de service of de general one more time and his presence alone will motivate de entire team, especially de young lad or lads dat will take over his (Latapy) position full time in de future. Ah know some ah all yuh go say, "Supa give it up, Latapy gone for good now". Well ah refuse to give up, ah think he coming back one more time  :praying: HIGHLY BLESSED

He probably will accept TTFF invitation to play against England in June.

1]; } ?>