April 29, 2024, 03:03:34 AM

Author Topic: Why France is ahead of England  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Why France is ahead of England
« on: March 25, 2008, 06:11:34 PM »
Here is an article about the perception of why France football(national team) performance on the international stage has surpass England. There are references to the the talent pool from the colonies. Hence the reason TT struggled with Guadeloupe.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/7297105.stm

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Why France is ahead of England
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 06:26:49 PM »
Nice read but how would you explain the success of Italy ?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 06:48:29 PM »
That is a good question. i just think that the Italians are the most skilfull ball players in Europe. That have best touch of the ball of all the Euro nations. Even though they have allowed a lot of foreigners into their league, they have managed to produce great players. I don't even read about Italian academies.  I don't like to use this cliche, but they probable naturally skillful. T
       The only thing that I think holds back the Italian game is "catenaccio" mentality. Soak up pressure and use a dagger-like counter attack. That is is an Italian as pasta. Somehow it seems to work for them. They did it to Brazil in the Spain WC and to France in the last WC.

If you want to see how skill the Italians are, score early on them, then you will see them come out to play.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 07:30:08 PM »
The only thing that I think holds back the Italian game is "catenaccio" mentality. Soak up pressure and use a dagger-like counter attack. That is is an Italian as pasta. Somehow it seems to work for them. They did it to Brazil in the Spain WC and to France in the last WC.

Most people who follow the game will tell you Italy rarely plays catenaccio anymore, if ever.
In the last World Cup, they did it against Australia (where they were down a man early) and against Germany. Against France they were purely and simply bun for most of the second half, and holding on for extra time/penalties, because the French were winning the physical/endurance battle in midfield.

I didn't see the Ukraine game, but I'd like to think you don't win 3-0 playing catenaccio...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 07:33:05 PM »
Cool, Midknight!!!!

Offline fivers

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 07:43:31 PM »
Nice read but how would you explain the success of Italy ?

Italy has a very successful league and is able to attract talented players to their soil. Though England have the talent, it's not that much of a large country, hence the short fall in talent pool. They will have to consider playing more of their talented black players.

giggsy11

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 08:09:26 PM »
Ah tink the difference is skill, smarts and composure. Not enough players who are English have all 3.

Offline teddy bear

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 01:18:43 AM »
I think the difference is in mentallity. The English believe in developing strength, and making an athlete into a baller ie if your'e quick, tall etc, then they can make you into a footballer. On the continent technique and skill is first and formost, then tactical awareness after. physical attributes are not pondrerd on till later development. Also while the emphasis in the English youth systems is winning, the emphasis on the continent is improving players, so in the long run the continental teams will always be ahead. Of course there are alot more to it but this I think is a major factor.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2008, 01:28:06 AM »
France have a deep stock of good players so it helps.

Italy certainly arent the team of 10 years ago but know how to win similar to Germany in that respect, but don't have the pool of players France has anymore.

England don't have anywhere near the pool of players people think they have, add to that poor man management and the fact Prima donna culture over the previous 2 managers meant for the most part few new players were introduced.  Small pool plus complacency adds to rubbish.  The top 4 clubs are mostly foriegn players and the prem as a whole has something like 35% English players.

Not an excuse just stating the facts for those that don't know, but personally couldn't care less for the  national side for mostly the reasons given above.

1]; } ?>