April 26, 2024, 04:29:19 PM

Author Topic: Emerging Scotland  (Read 1955 times)

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Emerging Scotland
« on: March 27, 2008, 04:20:08 AM »
Emerging Scotland

27 Mar 2008

By Gareth Vincent
South Wales Evening Post

Roberto Martinez has hailed Jason's Scotland emergence from the shadow of a legend as the striker closes in on a 30-goal season.

Martinez reckons the Trinidad & Tobago international was given something close to an impossible task when Lee Trundle ended a glorious four-year stint in Wales last summer.

And the Swansea manager believes Scotland now deserves to be a fans' favourite himself after taking over from a great.

Scotland has not produced the tricks of Trundle in his first season as a Swan, and he has not charmed the supporters in the same way his Scouse predecessor did.

But his goal record is fabulous, with a spectacular double against Bristol Rovers on Monday making it 28 in 40 starts and seven substitute appearances.

"Let's be realistic about this, rightly or wrongly people have seen Jason as filling the boots of a legend," Martinez said.

"It's exactly the same as it will be for the new manager when Sir Alex Ferguson leaves Manchester United.

"People have seen Jason as the man to fill Lee Trundle's boots and that's near enough an impossible job. Nobody could do that. It's like trying to find a replacement for Alan Curtis - you don't get these things in football.

"We need to understand that Jason didn't come here to replace anyone. He came here to enjoy his football and to help Swansea City move up a level.

"There's still a lot more to come from him, but he has played a huge part so far and the fans need to see that Jason is another fantastic Swansea player, not someone who is trying to fill Lee's boots."

With seven fixtures to go, Scotland's goal tally is already five more than Trundle's season's best for Swansea.

And his match-saving contribution against Rovers was straight out of the Trundle book of spectacular left-foot strikes.

One difference is that Scotland is predominantly right-footed.

"I think everyone is starting to see the quality Jason has got and to realise how important he is to us now," Martinez added.

"He is a special player, the kind you don't get in League One, and if we keep giving him the service, he will keep scoring goals.

"He hasn't scored many better than the equaliser against Bristol Rovers, but I can guarantee you that's a normal thing for him on the training ground.

"If he gets a bit more confident, we will see more and more like that."

Apparently Scotland regularly bemuses his team-mates with his clever touches during the week.

But, as agent Mike Berry told the Evening Post last week, Swansea's supporters are yet to see the 29-year-old at his best.

Why? Because, Berry suggested, they have not given Scotland the right welcome.

"I think our fans have appreciated Jason but haven't been as vocal as they have been towards other players," Martinez went on.

"His agent knows that when Jason feels loved and feels wanted, he will perform even better. He has a bag of tricks he will try if he feels the warmth of the fans.

"But Jason has worked really hard since the day he arrived here and you just have to look at his goal record to see how well he has done.

"I think it's just a matter of time before he gets the recognition he deserves."

Even if he doesn't net again before May, Scotland must go down as one of the buys the season given that he cost just £25,000.

"We had to go through hell with the work permit and with St Johnstone to get him here," Martinez said.

"But players like Jason don't come around too often.

"He said he wanted 30 goals at the start of the season, and I believe his best is still to come."
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 04:22:02 AM by FLi ! »
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
Re: Emerging Scotland
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2008, 07:06:19 AM »
yeah boy, I cah believe them really feel any englishman could beat more than a trini forward? Scotty need to start embarassing men once promotion clinched yes, show them how we is do it. Oh wait..he need to ''do what we usually does"
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2008, 07:48:11 AM »
yeah boy, I cah believe them really feel any englishman could beat more than a trini forward? Scotty need to start embarassing men once promotion clinched yes, show them how we is do it. Oh wait..he need to ''do what we usually does"
Ah mean ah could see why they in love with Trundle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAk5VqVrEk4&feature=related

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2008, 07:59:42 AM »
I think he real decent entertaining player ...where is he playing now?

Offline dwn

• Hero Warrior
  • "Hands that help are holier than lips that pray"
    • View Profile
    • Arsenal Now!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2008, 08:00:26 AM »
Scotty need to start embarassing men once promotion clinched yes, show them how we is do it.

hmmm  ::)

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2008, 08:14:43 AM »
I think he real decent entertaining player ...where is he playing now?
Move up one level to the championship and not making much of an impact. Why not is debatable.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2008, 08:25:55 AM »
Ah mean ah could see why they in love with Trundle: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAk5VqVrEk4&feature=related

He have ting admittedly.
Strange doh....normally dem ting eh encouraged in english football...yuh does hear talk bout disrespect to opponents and showboating and such.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2008, 09:17:49 AM »

He have ting admittedly.
Strange doh....normally dem ting eh encouraged in english football...yuh does hear talk bout disrespect to opponents and showboating and such.

exactly...beat is in our blood, but normally that's the first thing coaches try to drum out of our players when they play overseas...and now it's being encouraged by the swansea faithful?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:24:35 AM by FLi ! »

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »
I think it is basically a question of knowing when to beat. based on the reviews I hear from the swansea fans, Trundle will do it when is time to entertain the fans, near the end of a game or something

Now we like to beat everytime we get the ball !
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline FLi !

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 09:44:20 AM »
from the youtube clip, it looking like he used to beat when he wanted, that's the time when you're status with the fans comes to the level at

which you can do that, without being told off by the coach
« Last Edit: March 27, 2008, 09:47:23 AM by FLi ! »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 10:22:13 AM »
I think it is basically a question of knowing when to beat. based on the reviews I hear from the swansea fans, Trundle will do it when is time to entertain the fans, near the end of a game or something

I find that hard to believe. You wont waste time doing meaningless beat when yuh down 1-0.....but if yuh do wha nani did and yuh side 4-0 up...yuh disrespectful. Scottie could share beat too....everybody know bout how steenk his spanner is......but a man score 28 in his first season.....and dey taking long to appreciate him. Different strokes for different folks i guess. If that scooping the ball trick was done by any non-english player......like what truddle did in the early part of that clip.......might be a different thing. But...once scottie keep putting in his work....scoring as he has.....he'll get what he deserves.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 10:26:03 AM »

I find that hard to believe. You wont waste time doing meaningless beat when yuh down 1-0.....but if yuh do wha nani did and yuh side 4-0 up...yuh disrespectful. Scottie could share beat too....everybody know bout how steenk his spanner is......but a man score 28 in his first season.....and dey taking long to appreciate him. Different strokes for different folks i guess. If that scooping the ball trick was done by any non-english player......like what truddle did in the early part of that clip.......might be a different thing. But...once scottie keep putting in his work....scoring as he has.....he'll get what he deserves.
Yup! Either the fans'll finally figure it out and start supporting him fully, or some other team will come in and buy him!! Hopefully the fans come around before it's too late.
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 10:38:49 AM »
lazy bitch
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

1]; } ?>