March 28, 2024, 05:39:44 PM

Author Topic: USA to Face Argentina in New York  (Read 10941 times)

Offline Reaper2004

• Warrior Nation Enforcer
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA to Face Argentina in New York
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2008, 07:02:21 PM »
Lawd Howard get away with murder in that one I thought Argentina was goin to get a penalty

Offline FLi !

• Luck is recognising the opportunities when they arise
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2008, 07:03:37 PM »

To be fair to Arg, they had a good shout for a penalty. Howard did slightly clip the man and got no ball.

But Arg kinda desperate now
Director of Waggonist Prosecutions (DWP)

Special Advisor to WN(UK)

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2008, 07:07:16 PM »
Did you see Johnson pull down the Argie player by he piggy....... :o
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2008, 07:18:20 PM »
Them Argentines is some nastiness. Look how long Johnson on the floor and they would not kick the ball out. Bastards. That's why they cannot win anything.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2008, 07:27:07 PM »
thank god for broadband, no way i could see all these games with shit flow
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2008, 07:45:31 PM »
I cannot beliiiiieve this shit.
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline jr sams

• Hero Warrior
  • Every time....all de time....true to form
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2008, 07:46:27 PM »
wow...0-0 final.
well yes

Offline D.H.W

• Forever Man Utd
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Luck Favours The Prepared"
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2008, 07:48:16 PM »
and we in USA group hmmm , we better get we act together quick
"Evil is powerless if the good are unafraid."
Youtube Channel

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2008, 07:49:42 PM »
good result for the US...
Corneal and Maturana have their work cut out for them.

Offline Babalawo

• Football Scholar
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2008, 07:52:22 PM »
Lawd Howard get away with murder in that one I thought Argentina was goin to get a penalty
If it was the Bajan referee he would of got that penalty for sure

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2008, 08:01:25 PM »
Goaless draw hmmm
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 09, 2008, 07:08:07 AM »
Without Messi- Argentina looked ordinary. Howard saved them from three goals early in the match. After the first ten minutes the Us defence played very well and with Howard in Goal, they will be a force to be reckoned with.
 We need skillful andspeedy players who could take them on if we are to stand a chance.

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 09, 2008, 07:35:07 AM »
Yeah Zeppo....all yuh cut arse booked.... :devil:

You were saying?
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Giggsy's Chestwig

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 09, 2008, 07:45:20 AM »
Credit where its due. It was certainly an improvement over their lifeless performance against England at Wembley.

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 09, 2008, 09:31:11 AM »
thank god for broadband, no way i could see all these games with shit flow

So Die Hard, was Sports Max not showing the game in Trini or was it blocked or something??...that sucks if it's so..
I'm in Tobago and watched the game live on sports max....but then again it's not Flow that running the show over here.

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2008, 10:33:03 AM »
Ok fellas I was there at the game yesterday so I gonna just give a lil rundown on my thoughts of the game.

I reach about 3 mins before kickoff, stadium pack up and the atmosphere electric. I was surprised by the amount of Argentina fans in attendance, was about 35%-40% Argentina strips in the crowd. US fans shouting dey U-S-A chant, Argentina fans countering with their AR-GEN-TINA chant. I real excited. For most of the 1st half it was Argentina enjoying the majority of the possession and chances. I hadda say, Messi have some serious vision and passing ability boy. I find that's an aspect of his game that is somewhat overlooked, as his dribbling and goalscoring prowess is well known. He was regularly threading some immaculate balls through to the wingers and his fellow forwards. Julio Cruz alone throw way 3 1v1's with the keeper. To his credit tho, Howard did make some good saves.

USA's strategy in the first half seemed to be very organized in defence, make it hard for Argentina to break through, then hit back on the counter. They had some nice attacking moves going forward, one play in particular i remember was some nice one touch with the left back (cah remember his name), Johnson, Bradley and Dempsey, ending with the left back forcing a save from the Arg keeper after making a nice overlapping run that completely fool the Argentina defence. On that play in particular they looked like an elite team. At halftime tho, Arg should have probably been about 2 goals ahead.

Second half, Arg sub Messi, and immediately Arg look like a different side in the attacking third. They no longer seemed to have a consistent answer to unlocking the US defence, and USA no doubt gained in confidence. The second half was a much more competitive affair, with USA arguably having the better of the half. Good one-touch passing, excellent runs off the ball, very good organization. They really impressed me with their play yesterday, and I am one of the biggest USA critics. The US no doubt would feel very good after their performance.

Some additional observations:

Landon Donovan real fast. I never rated him as a player, but he a lot better than i anticipated. He still overrated by the US fans, but he's not as much of a goat as i thought.

Sergio Aguero is a boss. He didn't have his greatest game yesterday, but his technique, ball control and touch was evident. Him and Messi up front was a terror for the USA in the first half. They have the makings of being a deadly strike partnership for years to come.

Freddy Adu like he feel he's a gangsta or sumtin. De man oppose Javier Zanetti after Mascherano get sent off, push he hand up in Zanetti face and ting. Men had to hold Zanetti back after dat, it was like "who dis lil boy feel he is??" He lucky cuz Zanetti look like he was gladly gonna take a red card to knock him out.

T&T in real trouble if they think they ready to take on the USA right now. We have RHEEELLLLLL work to do

« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 01:34:33 PM by trinikev »
I support all Soca Warriors....Red, White and Blacklist

Offline Fyzoman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 10:49:28 AM »
well ley we hear how much allyuh hate United States Now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go USA beat facking argentina.. Is de U.S I live in not Argentina.. GO USA GO USA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Warmonga...

Ah hear yuh Warmonga, but ah cyar support ah country where the sport ranks below other sports in popularity. I live in the States too and it galls me that the average American probably does not know that the United States has played in every World Cup since 1990. I know that the sport is steadily rising in popularity here, but not enough in my opinion.

Until Americans give the Beautiful Game the proper respect it deserves, they do not deserve to have a competitive team. In a way, it's almost an injustice to teams like Guatemala, El Salvador, Jamaica and Trinidad and Tobago where there's a more entrenced football culture.
Bredda I hear yu too .  4 of my 5 sons born and raised here in de USA.  I eh worry about how much americans love football f**k dem . If yu aint have blue eyes and white skin you will never ever be concidered an american so I aint worry how dem rate football. I Have to support my fellow americans who decide to represent the greatest sports innah de world .. which is football.. Because Americans hate football so much it inspires me to even love it more ..  I live In The USA and Support USA Football except when dey come up against any ... yes dats right my  wests Indian teams any west Indian team from grenada to barbados from dominica  to SVG..  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .. But I have to be a nemackaram to be living in de USA raising my born Kids in the USA .. wrking going to schoool here and then wishing dem de worst .. Wishing the USA de worst while living here in the USA wont suprise me from nuff Trinidadians dey wish dey own facking country bad so dat aint no shock to me..
Fack Argentina mi nuh care if God play for Argentina go USA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

War...
War...

War, i agree wid most ah yuh points jed....of course ah writing dis after the US get a tie wid Argentiina, ah know nuff man go talk bout de penalty dat wasn't given and maybe Argentina didn't play wid dis one or dat one......bottom line, Bradley team get a tie against the number one team in the World!

ah wonder how fellahs who see TnT last game think we would match up against dis US team?? anyway I supporting the US team as long as dey eh playing we, me eh care bout whether de game less popular than whichever sport, me eh business, me eh ha no time for all dat stupidness!
"Practice is the best of all instructors"

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 01:07:15 PM »
yeah it look like they ram out the stadium/

Stadium was packed... they announced that it was either the largest (or ninth largest?) attendance for a USMNT game ever.  I know Giants Stadium capacity is just over 76,000... but yesterday, configured for soccer, capacity was 78,000.  Just to back track a bit... getting there proved a bit of a challenge as it seems like all of Manhattan tried to leave the island at the same time...and via the Lincoln Tunnel at that.  Giants Stadium rookie mistake was not taking the Holland instead, but I figured 6 pm Sunday evening...shouldn't be a problem...so much for that.  Even after getting into E. Rutherford, the nightmare was only to begin...what with traffic backed up on Rte 3 W and fans parking on the grass alongside the highway and what not...still outside after kickoff.  Not wanting to chance getting towed, or blocked in by 200 cars I got back on the Turnpike and decided (quite by accident  :D ) to approach from the opposite direction, which worked out.  After finally making our way back to the stadium, we entered the parking lot and go a bligh after not having to pay the $20 parking.  After parking and walking into the stadium, we got to our seats just after intermission began.

As Kev said the atmosphere was electric.  The heat was terrible but the crowd was alive and festive.  Thanks to fellow forumite Slates, the better half and myself were well-esconced in excellent seats in Section 100, Row 33...#'s 9 and 10.  Surrounded on all sides by American fans of every hue and description...quite a surprising sight.  There were many suburbanites (judging by looks), as well as a healthy sprinkling of blacks and hispanics, and by hispanics I don't mean Mexicans and Central Americans (which you'd expect), but rather Puertoriquenos as well...very pleasant to see the diversity.  There was an inordinate amount of Argentine fans in the crowd...the albiceleste was well-represented, much to my chagrin.  I was rooting on the Yanks...while the better half rooted on shameless cheats in the sky blue striped kit.

Not sure how it looked on TV, but the field looked a mess in person... a patchwork mess of freshly laid strips of turf over the Giants Stadium field turf.  At halftime there were two men walking around with buckets of turf replacing divots...you'd swear it was the 9th Tee at your local muni and not a world class pitch (as it was supposed to be).  Footing however didn't appear to be an issue for the players. 

Speaking of the players, not much to report on...Donovan looked pretentious in both the #10 shirt, and with the captain's arm band.  Dempsey for my money makes a better captain...really like his game, not much talent there but he gets the most out of it.  Hard worker.  Eddie Johnson showed very little...although he hit the crossbar (even though I see elsewhere that Onyewu got the credit) early in the second half.  Maurice Edu showed flashes...but he has  long way to go to get up to speed for WC level. 

Freddy came on in the second half and tried to do too much...way too much heads-down dribbling, usually right into two or three players.  The Argentine defense showed him  a lot of respect, they converged on him and Donovan whenever they touched the ball...although they seemed to respect Donovan's pace a bit more by allowing him a little more room with the ball at his feet.  Tim Howard had an excellent game...didn't think that that was a penalty early in the second on that challenge, but unlike those of you at home, we didn't really have the benefit of replay in the stadium...one quick inconclusive second look and that was it.  I think there were two maybe three replays the entire game...not counting halftime highlights.  Mastroeni got a second yellow on a set piece for Argentina and got sent off...I'm really not sure what that was about.  Yellow card for (at best) jawing at an Argentine??  Baffling decision.  Mascherano break up Landon nice and was rightly punished with his second yellow in the 88th...to cap off the day's festivities.  Not a very entertaining game to watch, but all in all an entertaining experience all the same.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 01:08:47 PM »
Game on.

Why are they both playing in their light strips?

Quite Stupid....unbelievable if you ask me ... You see that in Pro League ... not 2 big international sides

I imagine that this was an issue only for those of you looking on at home...in person there was absolutely no confusion as to which side was which.  Not nearly the issue you fellas making it out to be.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 03:20:15 PM »
Game on.

Why are they both playing in their light strips?

Quite Stupid....unbelievable if you ask me ... You see that in Pro League ... not 2 big international sides

I imagine that this was an issue only for those of you looking on at home...in person there was absolutely no confusion as to which side was which.  Not nearly the issue you fellas making it out to be.

Yeah it was a problem on the wide shots on ESPN Classic that comcast had dialed down to a little 300k bandwidth or whatever they do to make it look as bad as possible.

78,682: The largest crowd ever at this venue to watch the USA men play was also the 4th largest attendance in the stadium's history for any sport

Offline ttcom

• Hero Warrior
  • us/trini/jamaican
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 04:15:42 PM »
The park garage is were the match started. I drop a fake of an Argentinian with a back pass. Jerk chicken Aloe, pie and parloree, German and Mexican beer, Italian wines, Jamaica rum and nuff water.
Disappointed with the score.
Stupidity is an elemental force for which no earthquake is a match."
-Karl Kraus

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 06:41:01 PM »
Yeah Zeppo....all yuh cut arse booked.... :devil:

You were saying?

I too happy to today to study you and team....GO HOLLAND!!

p.s. since all yuh guaranteed to go to de WC....meet dem dey nah and check mih again... :devil:
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 10, 2008, 02:57:23 AM »
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 10, 2008, 03:46:57 AM »

Freddy Adu like he feel he's a gangsta or sumtin. De man oppose Javier Zanetti after Mascherano get sent off, push he hand up in Zanetti face and ting. Men had to hold Zanetti back after dat, it was like "who dis lil boy feel he is??" He lucky cuz Zanetti look like he was gladly gonna take a red card to knock him out.

You sure you're not talking about Gago? Read this:

When the final whistle blew, Adu was near the ball. So was Gago. They became entangled after the game, as Gago decided to give Freddy a piece of his mind about something or other. Freddy indulged him for a minute or so, then turned his back and started walking toward the locker room. Gago kept yelling, like some after-school special teacher demanding that his student respect him. That's when Freddy flicked his hand over his shoulder, as if to shoo Gago away. I don't know how many other people saw that moment, but it made me cheer one last time before heading for the exits.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/greg_lalas/06/09/us.argentina/index.html
- Xavi

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 10, 2008, 07:55:04 AM »

When the final whistle blew, Adu was near the ball. So was Gago. They became entangled after the game, as Gago decided to give Freddy a piece of his mind about something or other. Freddy indulged him for a minute or so, then turned his back and started walking toward the locker room. Gago kept yelling, like some after-school special teacher demanding that his student respect him. That's when Freddy flicked his hand over his shoulder, as if to shoo Gago away. I don't know how many other people saw that moment, but it made me cheer one last time before heading for the exits.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/greg_lalas/06/09/us.argentina/index.html

I'm positive it was Zanetti. The incident i'm referring to happened literally seconds after Mascherano was sent off. The incident you quoted above occurred after the final whistle. Gago was probably upset about the previous incident that I had mentioned, and maybe was acting in his teammate's defense, I'm not sure.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 10, 2008, 08:14:20 AM »
Yeah it was a problem on the wide shots on ESPN Classic that comcast had dialed down to a little 300k bandwidth or whatever they do to make it look as bad as possible.

78,682: The largest crowd ever at this venue to watch the USA men play was also the 4th largest attendance in the stadium's history for any sport

Oh okay... it really didn't seem that close in person as you can probably tell from the photo above. 

I'm positive it was Zanetti. The incident i'm referring to happened literally seconds after Mascherano was sent off. The incident you quoted above occurred after the final whistle. Gago was probably upset about the previous incident that I had mentioned, and maybe was acting in his teammate's defense, I'm not sure.

Yeah it was Zanetti and right after the Mascherano incident... I didn't see what sparked it so I can't put it all on Freddy.  In fairness to him though there are more than enough players who try and rough him up on the field... Freddy's never been one to not stand up for himself.

------------------

I almost forgot to mention my own favorite moment...when de yute with the Argentina flag ran onto the field at half time chased by a phalanx of Giants Stadium's finest  :rotfl:

He gave them a little run for their money before the fatman hit him a flying tackle then rough him up a bit taking him off the field...and the crowd started to boo too, lol

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2008, 08:20:51 AM »

I almost forgot to mention my own favorite moment...when de yute with the Argentina flag ran onto the field at half time chased by a phalanx of Giants Stadium's finest  :rotfl:

He gave them a little run for their money before the fatman hit him a flying tackle then rough him up a bit taking him off the field...and the crowd started to boo too, lol

If de fella was a little more creative in his running pattern he coulda get away (well maybe not get away but make it to the other end of the field). The guards didn't seem too quick or agile..... What crack me up is when they were escorting him and the crowd was cheering him on, he put his hands up to acknowledge the crowd and the guards push down his hands behind his back so as to say "you eh no hero boy puddong yuh hands".... ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinikev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2008, 08:28:09 AM »

Yeah it was Zanetti and right after the Mascherano incident... I didn't see what sparked it so I can't put it all on Freddy.  In fairness to him though there are more than enough players who try and rough him up on the field... Freddy's never been one to not stand up for himself.

------------------

I also didnt see what had sparked it, however, Zanetti has always been one of the most non-confrontational players that I know, so i kinda took that into consideration. It was quite out of character to see him having to be held back by his teammates.

And yeah that yute get hit with one hard tackle boy lol......that was real kix. And afterwards he look so proud, like it was totally worth it for him haha

1]; } ?>