April 28, 2024, 11:58:34 PM

Author Topic: Jamal Gay ahead of Knox and Joseph  (Read 9983 times)

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Jamal Gay ahead of Knox and Joseph
« on: March 25, 2008, 03:40:18 PM »
folks.... To my knowledge Gay did not play youth football for tnt ( ??)...

he had a decent season for EL DO....now he is on the National senior team...

I want to know how he got ahead of Stephen Knox and Daniel Joseph....2 strikers i rate highly...granted they did not have big SSFL seasons...i heard about Joseph and some problems at Gustine....

maybe Gay showing more at the U-20 training...no disrepect to Gay....but he not in the class of the 2 players  mentioned..

anybody have any info on this ???
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Jamal Gay ahead of Knox and Joseph
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »
I must agree with you. The youth has potential but Knox and Joseph are the truth.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2008, 03:55:55 PM »
Big Mag...the fact thaty gay did not play for T&T previously may be the result of a selection problem, not an ability problem. I read an interview with Knox in which he said that he wanted to be an economist or something so....I had the impression football was not to be his chosen path. I would bet Gay has more desire to be a professional player and while he may not have the skill of a Knox, his size, speed and predatory instincts may have convinced the coaches of suitability  for senior team selection. And the way it looks, Gay is a pure striker like stern, while Joseph and Knox are forwards, in the mold of Roberts.

But that is just speculation on my part.  

He also may be too old for the next U-20 world cup. He is already 18. Elton John used to train with the U-15/16 team and went Dallas Cup with them, but did not go to the world cup as he was too old I believe.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 03:59:42 PM by ZANDOLIE »
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2008, 03:59:30 PM »
Knox is not a pure striker ? You could get away with Joseph on that argument but not Knox.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2008, 04:00:48 PM »
cool Zando....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2008, 04:04:16 PM »
Part of Knox strength is his versatility. He could string together passes real well and he can function very well on the right wing. Gay does not appear to have that finesse, but he could pounce and score very well and he is probably faster and stronger than Knox and probably at least a year older.

You can see he has great instincts in front of the net.

I would really like to see Knox, Joseph, O'Neil and Cyrus to represent T&T senior team or at the very least play on a senior PL team against hardback men to give a truer measure of their ability.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:09:23 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2008, 04:07:15 PM »

He also may be too old for the next U-20 world cup. He is already 18. .

he is 18  and the cut of date in jan 1 989 for the under 20 once they  born before they ineligible
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:11:05 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
Some players develop differently maybe Gay was a slow developer at the under15 16 level  also he’s much bigger than the other two strikers so he could play with senior team or it could the new coach has and unbias  eye for player we all know all the local coaches have there favorite players 
Empty barrels make the most noise

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2008, 04:11:34 PM »
Part of Knox strength is his versatility. He could string together passes real well and he can function very well on the right wing. Gay does not appear to have that finesse, but he could pounce and score very well and he is probably faster and stronger than Knox.
Actually I want to disagree with you about Gay's versatility. To me the youth has an impressive skill-set but lacks vision and experience on a seasoned player like Knox.

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2008, 04:13:45 PM »
Part of Knox strength is his versatility. He could string together passes real well and he can function very well on the right wing. Gay does not appear to have that finesse, but he could pounce and score very well and he is probably faster and stronger than Knox and probably at least a year older.

You can see he has great instincts in front of the net.

I would really like to see Knox, Joseph, O'Neil and Cyrus to represent T&T senior team or at the very least play on a senior PL team against hardback men to give a truer measure of their ability.
Cyrus yes but knox and joseph get manners by under 17's in the world cup what will happen when they play senior players

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2008, 04:15:13 PM »

Zando if gay was to old he would not have been on that under 20 squad

I don't think we really have a serious U-20 team as yet. They name Vranes the coach, and they get together for Barnes scouting trip, but no nation-wide trials have taken place or regular organized practices going on AFAIK. So they may have had Gay training with them in the same way they had Elton John with the U-15s.  So again this is just my opinon from what I can piece together.....

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2008, 04:18:11 PM »

Zando if gay was to old he would not have been on that under 20 squad

I don't think we really have a serious U-20 team as yet. They name Vranes the coach, and they get together for Barnes scouting trip, but no nation-wide trials have taken place or regular organized practices going on AFAIK. So they may have had Gay training with them in the same way they had Elton John with the U-15s.  So again this is just my opinon from what I can piece together.....

If he is 18 as you say  he is eligible  the cut of date in jan 1989 for the under 20 once they  born before jan 1 1989  they ineligible. Big magician he picked adams ... btw the way how did gay really look was he getting bumped of the ball was he struggling with the pace? Knox was bullied by them Columbian and German defenders
« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 04:25:08 PM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2008, 04:26:38 PM »
Part of Knox strength is his versatility. He could string together passes real well and he can function very well on the right wing. Gay does not appear to have that finesse, but he could pounce and score very well and he is probably faster and stronger than Knox.
Actually I want to disagree with you about Gay's versatility. To me the youth has an impressive skill-set but lacks vision and experience on a seasoned player like Knox.

Perhaps....do you have any ideas on why he make the team? One would think that Knox et al would get a shot before an unproven player. I put it together that due to a comparison of his and Knox performance in Intercol and Barnes clinic, they figured he have more qualities for playing with big horses, and that they want to throw him in the fire to make up for that lack of seasoning. That is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Cyrus yes but knox and joseph get manners by under 17's in the world cup what will happen when they play senior players

Bally that is why I feel they gave Gay the shirt...they see he big and strong. But we does baby players too much. Some friendlies against Guyana, Grenada or Vincy national team or U-23 teams is a good starting challenge for Knox and them. Depending on how they perform, we gradually up the pressure. If we can rotate half the PFL in and out of the national team under Wim, we could find some room for these youths.

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2008, 04:36:33 PM »
lollol..i so glad this issue come up..who is gay, where , when how...gay is totally good player not great..i cud count men on my two hands who shud of get that run infront of him...and by all due respect his age or even younger
akinlabinho

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2008, 04:42:09 PM »
i train with Gay in the under 20 trials when i was home for the christmas season....he's high school quality..pls, this shud end right here
akinlabinho

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2008, 04:45:33 PM »

Perhaps....do you have any ideas on why he make the team? One would think that Knox et al would get a shot before an unproven player. I put it together that due to a comparison of his and Knox performance in Intercol and Barnes clinic, they figured he have more qualities for playing with big horses, and that they want to throw him in the fire to make up for that lack of seasoning. That is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Bally that is why I feel they gave Gay the shirt...they see he big and strong. But we does baby players too much. Some friendlies against Guyana, Grenada or Vincy national team or U-23 teams is a good starting challenge for Knox and them. Depending on how they perform, we gradually up the pressure. If we can rotate half the PFL in and out of the national team under Wim, we could find some room for these youths.
I don't want to speculate on the reason for his selection. To be honest I'm not even very upset about it. He wasn't to bad against El Salvador. But what I'm saying is that based on what Knox and Joseph showed us for 2 years running, he really shouldn't be in front of them.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 04:47:49 PM »
Labi So what is your feeling on why this fella make the team. Favouritism?

Who are some of these other youths who could put up  a good showing on the senior team besides of course Paul, Knox, Jospeh and Cyrus?

Name some of them....its good to hear that we have upcoming youths eager to compete. Bodes very well for the future.

Labi is the team training regularly now?

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:03:42 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2008, 04:50:12 PM »
As of now...I believe Maturana in the very early stages of getting to know our players.  As a result, he relyin on local expertise to tell he who to look at and consider for selection.  Is not like PFL or even SSFL in full swing so he had a chance to assess players fuh heself.

Therefore, I shall speculate that Gay, as are most of the other players, was selected based on Anton Corneal's recommendation.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline labi

• New Warrior
  • AKINLABINHO
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2008, 04:52:21 PM »
im currently in skool, the team is suppose to come up here with a 18 man squad some time next month,  lookin for more players but ill be home for d summer training
akinlabinho

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2008, 04:55:04 PM »
Spoke to some coaches in Trini about Gay.They all felt he was'nt ready yet.I also heard that 8  D1 school interested in him but his academics is poor.  

Offline Bally

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2008, 04:57:59 PM »
I happy for de fella if the other want to make the team they have to step there daily regiment it doesn’t mean they wouldn’t get there chance but when you get it you have to grab it with both hands because it have a lot off players out there with one and two cap and they will not get another

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 25, 2008, 05:02:52 PM »
As of now...I believe Maturana in the very early stages of getting to know our players.  As a result, he relyin on local expertise to tell he who to look at and consider for selection.  Is not like PFL or even SSFL in full swing so he had a chance to assess players fuh heself.

Therefore, I shall speculate that Gay, as are most of the other players, was selected based on Anton Corneal's recommendation.

Gay may have been selected for camp or training because of Anton, but the descision was made to actually play the youth. So I watching the fella close close because dat experienced coach had to see something there.

Palos ent Anton well known for favouritism? And if Anton is a favourites man how come he eh nominate Knox, who make a SSFL all-star team ahead of Gay? This thing puzzling in truth.  

Well I tired speculating in this TTFF soap opera. I just watching to see how thing work out.

Labi, good luck to you in your future training.

« Last Edit: March 25, 2008, 05:04:24 PM by ZANDOLIE »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2008, 05:11:23 PM »
The man get he chance...and he using it. He big...strong...and has pace. Those 3 things you cant teach.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2008, 05:16:32 PM »
He big...strong...and has pace. Those 3 things you cant teach.
nearly every time people on here see videos of our games the most consistant thing I see them talking about is how small our players, on average, are.
this fella seems to have it all as Bourbon has pointed out.
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2008, 02:59:06 AM »
Jamaal Gay have de attributes to be a top striker, Daniel and Joseph might be technically better in some parts but they lack clinical finishing touch. Finishing is a natural talent.

What ever happened to Jerrel Britto.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 03:50:43 AM by Flex »
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 06:28:23 AM »
He big...strong...and has pace. Those 3 things you cant teach.

Yeah i think that is it right there. They could teach him the rest and the more exposure he get, the faster his learning curve will be.
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 06:32:18 AM »
i think it all boil down to Gay being the biggest and strongest of the lot and thus probably was seen as the one who could make the step up to the physical grade in the senior game..

but i would really like to see that youth daniel joseph get a run.. was real impressed by what i saw of him in SSFL.. can't really comment on the others..

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »
From what I seen Britto seems to have the sharpest goal instincts among those youths. He is still very young though so I doubt we'll see him on a senior team for at least 2 years. This kind of competition can't be bad for us.

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2008, 08:47:55 AM »
That U-15 team from last youth CFU has some real gifted, big foot lil players. Dem have potential to do even better than the last U-17s.

Just hope and pray TTFF find a good coach fast and move to give them as much quality international  exposure as possible.

Offline heete

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »
knox is great!!!! i find men like chad de freitas and franz husbands fall off d map relllll bad. however knox and joseph is the truth but jamal gay does have the physical attributes over those two, maybe thats why he was chosen over them

1]; } ?>