April 28, 2024, 03:58:01 PM

Author Topic: Most overrated T&T footballer.  (Read 19294 times)

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Most overrated T&T footballer.
« Reply #90 on: March 31, 2008, 09:44:19 AM »
heheh. breds. i just find Trinis overrate the man. dat is not to say he not a great player in my opinion. i qualified what i meant. i just think Trinis talk about him in a light that is over the top (doh study, in the name of national defense I have heatedly overstated the brilliance of Latas to an ignoramus who trying to compare him to a next player who eh worthy). i doh care. He is our boy..if we doh big him up..who will? but it doh change the fact that we laugh at plenty players out there who better than Latas.

like who ???

last sentence was an exaggeration. Didn't really mean laugh at. More like..don't rate, or don't find that special. Like C. Ronaldo. Up to last season there were many who were calling him a one-dimensional shittong who will get found out against better defenses. yet, to me, T&T never had a baller, far less a 22 year old with that combination of ability, speed, strength and technique. And that was evident from the earlies. Riquelme. As far as I'm concerned, in terms of modern day number 10s he in a class by himself. Look..the longer this goes on, the more I sounding like a hater. I understand why people disagree, but what I saying ain't that diffcult to comprehend. I think Latas is the most talented baller to ever play for T&T..and with his longevity, he is maybe in a class of his own (ok..add Roger Milla, Cafu and Maldini to the club  ;D). But as far as I see countries churning out many Latas' every few years. So my point is that latas brilliance, though never replicated on local soil  is actually a level of brilliance that more common than most Trinis care to admit...from my experience anyway. Just my opinion..

Also..forgive me..my opinion about Latas should not have qualified as 'MOST' overrated as the title asked. It was soemthing that happened to be on my mind that I have discussed a lot, but probably should ahve brought up in another thread like 'What other players today are comparable to Latapy'. It would be interesting to see how high or how low people go.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:03:14 AM by Filho »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 31, 2008, 09:58:14 AM »
I'm not sure if men overrate Latas...As Trinis we just large him up because he's arguably our best player ever, and his style of football fits perfectly with the kind of football that Trinis generally admire....I think people who know football, have a good idea of where he stands in the whole scheme of things....and those who do overrate him do so because he's spent alot of his career playing amongst mediocre to shitty players, so his talent shines... If he played more of his career at a big club amongst the best, we'd have a better idea of how good he really was/is. 
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 31, 2008, 10:33:09 AM »
Right now the english press overrates KJ. He deserves his props, but things got little ridiculous earlier this season. At the end of last season ah would have said Çarlos. Every Championship pundit thought he was going to set the EPL on fire. I eh go lie..I real rate Carlos and he rip de Championship last season...but injuries aside, that was always a tall ask to think he was going to rip up the EPL. Latas overrated by Trinis. He is brilliant, but not the one of a kind baller some people seem to think he is.

Filho, this might be one of the very few posts yuh make ah have to disagree with...Yuh think Latas is over-rated? and yes he is a ONE OF A KIND BALLER to ever come out of T&T, we not talking world here, but who else could compare with Latas from T&T...oh and he is still playing at almost 40 eh  ;D

Have to agree with DeSoWa here...T&T hasn't ever had a midfielder like Latas. Even in the context of world football at present, while he may not be a hefty physical presence with high stamina, his sense of creativity, invention and vision in reading the game is firmly up there with the best of them. Ask Shunsuke Nakamura and Henrik Larsson. I don't think Filho disputes dat but not sure what he meant - maybe he could elaborate.  :beermug:

to answer the original question, it is Evans Wise for me

About Latas..I think he is class and one of a kind to come out of T&T, but I think there are many in T&T who overrate him. I think there are many in his class who are looked down as OK while Latapy is considered brilliant. For example, I think there are players who can't get a corbeaux sweat for teams like Brazil and Argentina who are better or on par with Latas in his prime. I have met enough people who would consider that sacrilege. Who disagree could disagree, but I for one could call plenty players on Latas level who playing right now who does be called shittong regular on dis site.

Then again, I also find Maradona overrated..but dat is another topic

You find Maradona overrarted? Great Krypton...!

Yep..best player I've ever seen, but not as infallible and untouchable as some remember. Diego was peerless in his generation, but people overdo it when recalling how good he was imo. Is not a dis. I just doh treat de man like he was Jesus. And a find a few players come since that reach his heights. But this is ah ole topic. No need to recycle

As yuh mention dat... quite frankly i find dat Jesus overrated. Water into wine... man on flatbush drinking water and callin it wine long time now. Latapy on the other hand is de king. Shaka hislop is not overrated one might say that there were more complete goal-keepers than him but Even England have de man down as one of de best shot-stoppers yet and guess what if yuh not walking in de 6 yard box to tap it in den is bullet and that is Shaka speciality. So proportionately speaking shaka is  a great goal-keeper.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 31, 2008, 10:54:59 AM »

As yuh mention dat... quite frankly i find dat Jesus overrated. Water into wine... man on flatbush drinking water and callin it wine long time now. 

Ah think it's the other way around...men on the avenue drinkin' wine & callin' it water...  :D

Apparently Jesus had a decent left foot and deadly vision....was often too unselfish in front of goal though.   ;D
« Last Edit: March 31, 2008, 10:57:03 AM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #94 on: March 31, 2008, 12:53:17 PM »
I usually refrain from posting, I like to read and catch kix but I couldn't resist this topic.  For someone to say Shaka is overrated just proves how little people know about football.  Shaka has played football at the highest level, how many Trini players can say the same.

A lot of other players in this post has been called overrated when in fact we as fans rated them too highly in the first place so when they fell short of our lofty hopes, they are now called overrated.

I can only think of three overrated players, they are Kerwyn "Hard Headed" Jemmott, Brent Rahim and Evans Wise.

Just my humble opinion.  Let me get back to reading what you "experts" are posting.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 31, 2008, 12:56:36 PM »

Ah think it's the other way around...men on the avenue drinkin' wine & callin' it water...  :D

Apparently Jesus had a decent left foot and deadly vision....was often too unselfish in front of goal though.   ;D

Only Troy Marquis could stop ah volley from Jesus
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline #4

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
    • #YGBfiles: The Young, Gifted, and Black Files
« Reply #96 on: March 31, 2008, 01:07:04 PM »

Troy Marquis is d Trini Chuck Norris  :D

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 31, 2008, 01:09:05 PM »
It have many pull stones, choose one.

Kerwin Jemmott, Stiokley Mason, Derek King, Durance Williams, Lyndon Andrews, Ian Cox, Silvio Spann, Collin Samuel, Atiba Charles, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Brent Rahim, Nigel Pierre, Evans Wise, Irasto Knights and Skaka Hislop (for T&T he had one good game).... at club he was boss in his younger days.

there is no way this fella was over rated. he was mentally lazy but nigel had to much skill for his own good i use to think some times. He jus ..man i eh knwo what to say nah.i tend to argee with almsot everyone else you mentioned. Excpt hardest, he wasnt overrated. he was just lazy de man have skills. He just not a professinal.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Bianconeri

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 31, 2008, 01:41:15 PM »
Marquis in school now ? wha he doin?

i really wanna know bout this name i hearin so much on the board and nowhere else.

he serious enuff to be considered for TT??

but seriously Triniscout, ya really tink he deserve a shot in his present situation?
he hadda get his name out there.

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 31, 2008, 02:03:24 PM »
school? he probably never went to school here in america i no he went morvant laventille in trini, i dont think he studying school nor the football ,he just plays for fun but hes dam good ,i will hold a question and answer with him for yall and find out he real situation give me a day or 2
bajanscout

Offline berris

• Hero Warrior
  • TnT ALL TIME GREATEST GOAL SCORER chase dem Jesse
    • View Profile
    • http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/graphics/gallery/football/facup2006/fourthround/upixcup9.jpg
« Reply #100 on: March 31, 2008, 02:22:25 PM »
school? he probably never went to school here in america i no he went morvant laventille in trini, i dont think he studying school nor the football ,he just plays for fun but hes dam good ,i will hold a question and answer with him for yall and find out he real situation give me a day or 2

Nah Nah Nah !!!   ..I eat some doubles for de day, wid plenty pepper, I eh need nuttin else tuh help meh shit. ...
IN GOD WE TRUST
IN MAN WE BUST
AND WOMAN...WORST !!!

CHASE DEM JESSIE

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 31, 2008, 04:34:21 PM »

As yuh mention dat... quite frankly i find dat Jesus overrated. Water into wine... man on flatbush drinking water and callin it wine long time now. 

That was probably  to his detriment. Too unselfish. good point.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 31, 2008, 04:41:23 PM »

And this would be # 3 running in contention for the best post award. Or maybe best one-liner. Keep dem cummin allyuh keep dem cummin.
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 01, 2008, 06:42:09 AM »

For de brown sugar gyal......fus ting fus...Nobody doh talk highly of Theobald, except me and the other few forumites who know a little about and actually play football aready.....

For de kiffysmooth bwoy,

Theobald....he get put on de field in de fuss place = rated...

He get put on de field again, and again and again...(even ahead of Latapy in de WC.. :o) = Overated
My definition....yuh eh like it...too bad....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline bajanscout

• bajanscout
  • Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 01, 2008, 04:07:59 PM »
He get put on de field again, and again and again...(even ahead of Latapy in de WC.. ) = Overated
My definition....yuh eh like it...too bad....                                                                                                                                                                              lol hahahahaha look da man get bad up from ah gyul way d muddas lol she rite bull#
bajanscout

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 01, 2008, 04:43:28 PM »

They say he rest some beat on dem men who was changing money in the temples stink stink, though.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Slade

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 01, 2008, 05:03:10 PM »
It have many pull stones, choose one.

Kerwin Jemmott, Stiokley Mason, Derek King, Durance Williams, Lyndon Andrews, Ian Cox, Silvio Spann, Collin Samuel, Atiba Charles, Leslie Fitzpatrick, Brent Rahim, Nigel Pierre, Evans Wise, Irasto Knights and Skaka Hislop (for T&T he had one good game).... at club he was boss in his younger days.
What ever you are smoking gimme some, how could you mentioned Shaka he did more for T&T Football than most of the rest, you are either misinformed or just plain st......

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 01, 2008, 05:22:32 PM »

For de brown sugar gyal......fus ting fus...Nobody doh talk highly of Theobald, except me and the other few forumites who know a little about and actually play football aready.....

For de kiffysmooth bwoy,

He get put on de field again, and again and again...(even ahead of Latapy in de WC.. :o) = Overated

brownsugar... yuh reasoning doh make sense. 

If a coach put a player on a football field  ahead of another player, yuh cyah bawl he overrated. He put that player on cause the other person would not have done what he wanted.
 Trinis is tote for latas to much. Yes he is the best footballer trinidad ever produce, but if he had played every world cup game, i not sure how many goals trinidad woulda collect. Theobald not overrated...

Alyuh right on the rahim. Cause i an all rate him, and he aint produce what he was suppose to. I doh totally agree with the E Wise.
Yuh could say he overrated but he was never a game changer. i remember he use to take the ball and go down in the corner and beat. If that is the man game, doh expect him to do anything else.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 01, 2008, 06:03:02 PM »
For de kiffysmooth bwoy,

If a coach put a player on a football field  ahead of another player, yuh cyah bawl he overrated. He put that player on cause the other person would not have done what he wanted.

Nah...she reasoning sound.  Whether yuh want to agree with it or not, dat is another story.

What she saying is once coach put yuh on de field that mean yuh have some ability.  Contrary to what yuh say, is not because yuh will do what de coach want (although that is ah big part), he putting yuh on de field largely because he rate yuh ability.

She den go on to say that if yuh keep getting de job (getting on de field) and still end doing de wuk then dat mean somebody (coach at least) 'over' rating yuh.  They have more faith in your abilities than your performance indicates.

giggsy11

« Reply #109 on: April 01, 2008, 06:27:25 PM »
he had  a wah stella ?haha mention gerrad to him he does duck , FA cup finals is bullet liverpool come back from 3 goals down is only bullet from way out scoring, the world cup gerrad again he isnt consistant he has had decent games and the sweden game if u look at the shots it was at him , nothing where he had to go for and make no big save...look at d guatemala game lol rel shit so he is by far over rated

Dey man was on the wain. He was a damn good keeper good enough tuh play for a few English teams!

giggsy11

« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2008, 06:41:07 PM »
Dwarika!

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2008, 06:59:05 PM »
lol this is a funny thread.
Dwarika not overated. The man get rated for his performance against USA. It
was clear he had talent. That talent that he was not using did not keep him on the team.

Let me throw in a new name in the mix to see what men think. Birchall!
For me the jury still out.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2008, 07:38:10 PM »
lol this is a funny thread.
Dwarika not overated. The man get rated for his performance against USA. It
was clear he had talent. That talent that he was not using did not keep him on the team.

Let me throw in a new name in the mix to see what men think. Birchall!
For me the jury still out.

The jury has always been out on Birchall. Even as one of his bigger fans, I'm very quick to reciognise that Me Mum is at best an average England footballer with a better than average strike off the ball.
On the other hand, for those who rate him, the qualities that he brought brings to the T&T team are indisputable. The hustle, the never say die attitude, the willingness to take his responsabilities and hit from far, and yes the endurance, are things that make him an "above average" Trinidad and Tobago footballer, at least among this present batch.

One man's meat is another man's poison.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline trini supporter

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2008, 08:44:18 PM »
Hardest is by far the most overated i dont see what is the big deal about this guy and well Stern yes  he does score but how consistent ???

Offline Benchwarmer

• Sr. Warrior
  • Trini to the bone...Dutch till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »
For de kiffysmooth bwoy,

Nah...she reasoning sound.  Whether yuh want to agree with it or not, dat is another story.

What she saying is once coach put yuh on de field that mean yuh have some ability.  Contrary to what yuh say, is not because yuh will do what de coach want (although that is ah big part), he putting yuh on de field largely because he rate yuh ability.

She den go on to say that if yuh keep getting de job (getting on de field) and still end doing de wuk then dat mean somebody (coach at least) 'over' rating yuh.  They have more faith in your abilities than your performance indicates.

But who say he aint doing the wuk???  That is the crux... You aint know what  instructions theobald get....
Because he aint do what latas would/could have done. that doh mean he overrated.

R Carlos could score.. but he overrated as a left back... why???  cause he doh do he wuk. you cyah watch a defensive minded player and say he overrated cause he play before latas????

thats comparing apples and oranges.

but i understand what yuh talking about.

Offline Savannah boy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2008, 09:50:43 PM »
Omarldinho and Triniscout...ah go take de high road and not cuss but ah real real disappointed in allyuh treatment of Shaka.  Allyuh should give de man he respect.  It always have to have some back biters who not proud of dey own.  Is no wonder allyuh wasn't on de forum before dis and de one before dat. :shameonyou:

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2008, 09:56:31 PM »

I doh really have ah dog in dat fight...as ah say yuh could agree or disagree with what she said, but regardless the conclusion ah follow the line of logic that she use. 

Personally me ent really get into the whole "overrated" talk because frankly I not in position to say...as yuh said yuh never know what instructions ah man get when he go out on de field, but anytime ah man get rated up and then fail to live up to expectations he'll get tagged (fairly or not) with that label.  It's a subjective standard at play anyways and just like you doh find he overrated, she and others find he is.  No one can really say definitively who wrong or right. 

I just weigh in because in following de discussion it good to see who offering some reason or rationale for their assessment of a player...her's happen to make sense to me, which is to say I could see how she arrived at her conclusion.  At the same time I also see your position where a person could make arguments to the contrary.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 12:18:46 AM by Bake n Shark »

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2008, 09:57:57 PM »
Omarldinho and Triniscout...ah go take de high road and not cuss but ah real real disappointed in allyuh treatment of Shaka.  Allyuh should give de man he respect.  It always have to have some back biters who not proud of dey own.  Is no wonder allyuh wasn't on de forum before dis and de one before dat. :shameonyou:

wtf breds?!

u make me scroll back dis whole thread to see what i say wrong bout shaka..

take it easy, my post was sarcastic. go and re-read it again.

i have utmost respect for shaka and his accomplishments, just the fact that his name is being mentioned in this thread is hilarious

please refrain from classing me with dat trollin fellah.

Offline Quags

• use to b compre . Founder of the militant wing of the Soca Warriors
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2008, 10:15:48 PM »
Shaka did a great job in the WC ..............hehe should I ok hes not a god .lets just say he ended his career on a really high note as a hero ....except for his stint in Dallas ie
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 10:18:45 PM by Quagmire »

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 02, 2008, 05:00:10 AM »
For de kiffysmooth bwoy,

But who say he aint doing the wuk???  That is the crux... You aint know what  instructions theobald get....
Because he aint do what latas would/could have done. that doh mean he overrated.

R Carlos could score.. but he overrated as a left back... why???  cause he doh do he wuk. you cyah watch a defensive minded player and say he overrated cause he play before latas????

thats comparing apples and oranges.

Benchwarmer, I mentioned Latapy because he  (Latapy) have more ability in he little toe than Theobald ....but he warm bench and Theobald play....somebody must be think he have more ability than I think he does....but IN MY OPINION....he overrated....

And thank you Bakes yuh understand exactly what ah trying to say.....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

1]; } ?>