April 19, 2024, 05:59:32 PM

Author Topic: Sunderland can be a force - Jones  (Read 1623 times)

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Sunderland can be a force - Jones
« on: March 31, 2008, 11:50:56 PM »
Sunderland can be a force, claims Jones

HAVING seemingly overcome their lack of Premier League experience, striker Kenwyne Jones last night suggested that Sunderland are ready to show the top flight just what they are about.

A first season back in the top-flight has been one of inconsistency, which has left the Black Cats struggling to climb clear of the relegation zone.

But, after claiming successive Premier League wins for the first time since December 2001, and a first away win of the campaign, there are now seven points separating Sunderland and third-bottom Bolton.

With six matches remaining, most people on Wearside believe survival is a near certainty with a win at struggling Fulham on Saturday a distinct probability.

A third win in a row - the first time Sunderland would have achieved that in the top division since December 2000 - would make it difficult to see Roy Keane's men letting such a strong position slip.

That would be a remarkable situation, given that they have hovered nervously around the drop zone for the whole of the campaign.

Jones, who arrived from Southampton last August, feels that it is almost time to start thinking about next season - but not quite.

"Sunderland have been a yo-yo club and it would be some achievement to break that sequence and go on to become a Premier League power," said Jones, a £6m man with all the top clubs monitoring his situation.

"This season will do a lot for the club and the fans and if we do stay up next season we will build and become a stronger team.

"It was just a lack of experience that held us back and stopped us putting more points on the board, but now we're are showing that we are making good progress.

"We are turning things around and now we're aiming to put a string of results together that will keep us up."

After the ecstasy of celebrating Andy Reid's 96th minute winner against West Ham at the Stadium of Light on Saturday, Keane took his squad for four days' warm weather training in Spain.

Jones and compatriot Carlos Edwards were left behind to training with the youngsters because of work permit problems. But Jones claims he will be more than ready for the trip to Craven Cottage.

Fulham, six points shy of climbing out of the bottom three, are in dire need of points and a victory could pull Keane's men back into bother.

"Fulham will be a massive game but then again to a club like Sunderland every game is massive," said Jones. "It's good that we've been able to put some breathing space between ourselves and the bottom three but we've got to remain really focused because every game will be hugely important until we're mathematically safe.

"We will be treating every game as if our lives depend on it so. But it's encouraging that the last two wins have put us on the road to safety and I believe we'll get there because I am confident in the team and its ability."

For Jones on a personal level, the visit of the Hammers last weekend also marked the start of a return to goalscoring ways.

Having failed to find the net for 11 matches, the Trinidad & Tobago international was on hand to tap in the first half equaliser that put Sunderland on the road to victory.

"It was great to get back among the goals," said Jones, who has six this season.

"At this stage it could not have been better timed and the whole place has been really buzzing.

"We are really glad that we could put a smile on people's faces after losing our last two home games.

"It was quite a long time since I had scored and now I've got to make sure that the fans see it sooner rather than later.

"But whatever happens the team comes first and as long as I play my part in helping us win then I'll be happy."

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/spo...aims_jones.php
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline Cartman

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Sunderland can be a force - Jones
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2008, 05:15:53 AM »
More from Kenwynne, love the last paragraph  ;D

In-form Cats won’t let up now, insists Kenwyne
Apr 1 2008 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

WITH seven points between them and the Premier League relegation zone, Sunderland’s top-flight safety seems close to being assured. But Kenwyne Jones has warned Fulham the Black Cats will be “playing as if their lives depended on it” at Craven Cottage this weekend.

The Wearsiders take on a Fulham side on Saturday who, along with Bolton Wanderers, are becoming increasingly cut adrift at the bottom of the table. Sunderland will travel in good heart after four days training in the Spanish sun on the back of consecutive Premier League victories for the first time in seven years.

Although Jones has been unable to join his team-mates because of visa problems, the Trinidad and Tobago striker’s morale is also on a high after scoring his first goal of 2008 in Saturday’s 2-1 win against West Ham United. But the 23-year-old promised greater confidence will not equate to complacency.

“Fulham will be a massive game, but to a club like Sunderland every game is massive,” argued the £6m signing from Southampton. “It’s good we’ve been able to put some breathing space between ourselves and the bottom three, but we’ve got to remain really focused because every game will be hugely important until we’re mathematically safe.

“We will be treating every game as if our lives depend on it. But it’s encouraging the last two wins have put us on the road to safety and I believe we’ll get there because I am confident in the team and its ability.”

Jones was pleased to have produced his trademark goal celebration for the first time since the 3-1 home win over Bolton on December 29. Having missed the 1-0 victory at Aston Villa a week earlier, he was even more relieved to contribute to a winning cause.

“It was great to get back among the goals, especially because it helped us put two wins together that moved us up the table,” he said. “At this stage of the season it could not have been better timed and the whole place has been really buzzing. We were really glad we could put a smile on people’s faces after losing our last two home games (to Everton and Chelsea).

“At this stage of the season we will take any victory we can get and the three points matter more than who scores the goals. After missing the game against Villa because of illness it was really nice to produce something in front of our fans.

“I hadn’t done one of my somersaulting celebrations in a long time so I had to get it in against West Ham. I hope everyone appreciated it – especially the kids – but I hope they don’t try that at home or in the playground. I’ve got to make sure the fans see it again sooner rather than later. But as long as I play my part in helping us win, I’ll be happy.”

Two factors were crucial to Sunderland’s success – Roy Keane’s half-time team talk and the equally passionate crowd of over 45,000.

“The manager knows what it takes to get his team going,” said Jones. “Sometimes he might need to shout, whilst at other times it might be required to be calm to appease the situation. He usually manages to hit the nail on the head and against West Ham he definitely gave what the team needed.

“At half-time we knew the game was there for the taking but needed the manager to really get us on our toes so we didn’t slip into that comfort zone. His half-time talk worked and it showed. He wanted us to be more positive and we were.

“The fans have been beautiful all season and I think they should actually get a prize for that. Maybe that will be us doing well in games like we have recently and staying up this year. I’m really thankful to the fans for their support and hopefully it will continue until the end of the season.”
Roy Keane's Red & White Army

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2008, 06:42:52 AM »
Jones has been good but Reid has been their "buy of the season".  He really adds that creative spark to their play and i hope they go from strength to strength. 

They need a good experienced central defender (nosworthy just too inconsistent for the premier league) and they would be okay for next season.

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2008, 06:52:50 AM »
Jones has been good but Reid has been their "buy of the season".  He really adds that creative spark to their play and i hope they go from strength to strength. 

They need a good experienced central defender (nosworthy just too inconsistent for the premier league) and they would be okay for next season.

ah love it!!

And the rest at least 5/6

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2008, 07:07:57 AM »

ah love it!!
To me, Nosworthy consistently shut down the best forwards in the Prem. De only ones I remember him struggling with are Ashton on Saturday and Heskey early in de season. I can't remember if he played against Man U at the SOL.

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2008, 07:10:20 AM »
I think they will survive this season. The thing is though, Sunderland still lack the true quality player in every position which separates the good teams from the rest. He have Kenwyne upfront and Richardson and Edwards on the wings, now he get Reid in the middle of the park who can put himself about with a good pass. I think Gordon in goal is good. The jury still out for me on the back four. Higginbotham have some experiene but does he have the overall quality to match up against some of the prems top strikers. Nosworthy does remind me of Marvin Andrews, does well with his limitations but again is it enough? The wingback positions doh really inspire me in any way. But i think over the summer Keane could sure up those back positions. Etuhu i think with the right folks around him could do well in that defensive mid, he have the workrate.

Another test Keane will face is after he gets more quality in every position is to now create a stronger squad where you have more quality players playing similar positions which will effect competition within the squad which only benefits the overall team effort. Also he will have to face the fact the progress does not go unnoticed. Other clubs will see your quality and attract his players. Can he keep his growing squad together.

They can be a force but the work is there to be done.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »
Higginbotham have some experiene but does he have the overall quality to match up against some of the prems top strikers.
Higgingbotham lost his spot to Evans donkey years now. The youth they sign from PSG, Mvoto is a wing back or a central defender I believe. I suspect they're grooming him for next year.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2008, 07:58:01 AM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 08:15:31 AM »
The way I see it is less quantity than less season but better quality.  We need about 6/7 players if the club wants to progress and have a squad of decent quality.

Defence

Evans is only on loan so we need him or replacement plus another centre back
Another defender that can fill in for full backs we only have 2 proper so short, we could also do with ones that can pass hold the ball better.

Midfeild

A defensive mf is a must, someone better than Whitehead / Ethutu.
Another central mf to replace Dwight
A right sided mf player as back up / competition for Carlos, RK showed a lot of confidence in Carlos as no cover was bought but the team has suffered thsi season with no natural right sided player and he can't afford the same situation next year.

Another forward.

Strange results happen this time of the season and its easy to get carried away with a couple of good results that make you think the squad is better than it is.  The above is obviously on the assumtion we survive in the prem.

I would expect quite a few to leave, a couple out on loan.  Mvoto is bigger than Kenwyn and lacks experience however he has played quite well for the reserves.  The change in rules with number of subs next season should help get some experience into fringe players.

The biggest plus for the club next season if in the prem is the teams coming up, all of them are likely to struggle in the prem

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 01:32:34 PM »
Yuh mad sah !! nosworthy is one of the best players on the team, and i will go out on a limb to say he's one of the best CB in the prem. get rid yuh say ?
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »
They also need to do everything possible to keep hold of Johnny Evans. 10 million pounds. Arm and a leg. Sacrifice a baby. Everything.

1]; } ?>