April 18, 2024, 08:04:26 PM

Author Topic: 2008 MLB THREAD.  (Read 6685 times)

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
2008 MLB THREAD.
« on: April 02, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »
Pedro out 4-6 weeks with strained hammyAssociated Press
Updated: April 2, 2008, 6:17 PM EST 24 comments add this RSS blog email print MIAMI (AP) - Pedro Martinez will be sidelined 4-to-6 weeks with what the New York Mets said was a mild strain of his left hamstring.

The three-time Cy Young Award winner was placed on the 15-day disabled list before the Mets' game against the Florida Marlins on Wednesday night.

Martinez was injured Tuesday night, returned to New York and was examined by Dr. David Altchek at the Hospital for Special Surgery.

"It doesn't look good," manager Willie Randolph said before the diagnosis was announced by Mets spokesman Jay Horwitz.

"He said he heard a pop, and that is not a good thing," Randolph said. "Usually, when something like that happens, you are put on the DL right away, but we'll just wait and see what the results are. It could have just been a combination of a real bad cramp or a strain. Any time a pitcher pulls a hamstring, that is usually automatic DL."

Martinez allowed four runs in 3 1/3 innings during a 5-4, 10-inning defeat, limping off the mound after injuring himself during a pitch.

"He's an unfortunate loss," pitcher John Maine said. "Everyone knows what Pedro can do.'

The Mets filled Martinez's roster spot by purchasing the contract of pitcher Nelson Figueroa from Triple-A New Orleans.

They could move up Oliver Perez in the rotation to start Tuesday's home opener against Philadelphia. Jorge Sosa is a longshot possibility for the rotation.

"I think we will keep him where he is right now, but he is also an option," Randolph said.

Orlando Hernandez started the season on the disabled list.

"We've been doing this the last couple of years and that means me, Oliver (Perez), and (Mike) Pelfrey have to step up a little more," Maine said.

soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: 2008 MLB THREAD.
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »
support yuh team,post some highlights and leh we look on while bosox repeat. ;D

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2008, 08:23:57 PM »
A-Rod placed on 15-day DL with strained quadAssociated Press
Updated: April 30, 2008, 4:38 PM EST 146 comments add this RSS blog email print NEW YORK (AP) - Alex Rodriguez was placed on the 15-day disabled list Wednesday with a strained right quadriceps, leaving another major hole in the New York Yankees lineup.

Rodriguez hurt his leg April 20 in Baltimore and missed three games last week before returning for a four-game series at Cleveland. But he was removed for a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning of Monday night's 5-2 win over the Indians and said he felt a "pull" while running the bases.

He had an MRI on Tuesday that revealed a Grade 2 strain.

"It's painful to see that lineup without me in the cleanup spot and helping my team win every day," Rodriguez said.

This is his fifth stint on the DL and first since July 2000 with Seattle, when he had a strained right knee. His last stop on the injured list didn't seem to slow him down too much — the three-time AL MVP finished with 41 homers and 132 RBIs in his last season with the Mariners.

A-Rod's absence does come at a difficult time for New York, which is already missing injured catcher Jorge Posada. The Yankees are waiting for additional opinions on Posada's ailing throwing shoulder before determining whether he needs surgery.

Alberto Gonzalez was at third base and Jose Molina behind the plate when the lineup was posted for Wednesday night's game against the Detroit Tigers. Morgan Ensberg started at third and rookie Chris Stewart was the catcher for New York's 6-4 loss to Detroit on Tuesday night.

The Yankees optioned Stewart to Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on Wednesday and recalled reliever Chris Britton from their top farm club just one day after they sent him down. They also signed catcher Chad Moeller after designating him for assignment on Friday.

Moeller cleared waivers, declined an assignment to Scranton then signed a free-agent deal with New York. Reliever Sean Henn was reinstated from a rehab stint and designated for assignment to make room on the 40-man roster.
big lorse fuh yankees.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 05:46:45 PM »
Yanks fan charged with murder in Sox fan deathUpdated: May 5, 2008, 12:22 PM EST 994 comments add this RSS blog email print NASHUA, N.H. - A woman accused of running down a man in her car after a Red Sox-Yankees argument in a bar never hit her brakes as she accelerated toward the small group he was in, a prosecutor said Monday.

"She never braked, and she accelerated at a high speed for about 200 feet. She went directly at this group of people," prosecutor Susan Morrell said of Ivonne Hernandez, who is charged with reckless second-degree murder in the death early Friday of Matthew Beaudoin, 29.

Authorities won't describe the argument beforehand in Slade's Food & Spirits, but witnesses said it heated up when Hernandez identified herself as a New York Yankees fan. Like the rest of New Hampshire, Nashua, 45 miles northwest of Boston, is Red Sox country.

Bartender Tanya Moran said the argument spilled outside, and at least one person in a group that included Beaudoin began chanting ``Yankees suck!'' when they saw a Yankees sticker on Hernandez's car.

Hernandez, 43, allegedly gunned her car and struck Beaudoin and his friend Maria Hughes, 21. Hughes had only minor injuries, which Beaudoin's sister Faith said was because her brother shielded his friend.

Hernandez, of Nashua, was arrested at the scene. She acknowledged she had been drinking and refused to take a breath-alcohol test, said Morrell, a senior assistant attorney general. Hernandez said she had been in an argument with the group.

"She indicated to police that she wanted to scare this group of people. She thought they would get out of the way," Morrell said.

Hernandez was ordered held without bail after being arraigned Monday in Nashua District Court. The charges, including aggravated drunken driving, are felonies, so Hernandez could not enter a plea.

Her public defender, James Quay, did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Beaudoin died of massive head trauma at a hospital, Morrell said.

Moran told The Telegraph of Nashua during the weekend that Beaudoin came to the bar regularly to socialize, sing karaoke and have fun.

"He came to hang out. He didn't really drink much," she said.

Chris Lovett, a disc jockey at Slade's, told the New Hampshire Union Leader that Beaudoin kept to himself and "wasn't an instigator."

Faith Beaudoin said her brother, who lived in Nashua, was a 1997 graduate of Nashua High School who worked dealing poker at Sharky's in Manchester and Nashua. She said his organs, including his heart, live and kidneys, were donated in hopes of saving other people's lives.

"He was always helping people when he was alive, and he's still saving lives," she said, choking back tears during the weekend.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 09:19:00 PM »
Lester tosses 18th Red Sox no-hitterby Associated PressUpdated: May 19, 2008, 10:07 PM EST62 comments add this Jon Lester has survived cancer and pitched a World Series clincher for the Boston Red Sox.
Now he can add a no-hitter to his already amazing list of accomplishments.

The 24-year-old lefty shut down Kansas City 7-0 Monday night for the first no-hitter in the majors since Red Sox rookie Clay Buchholz threw one last September.

It was Lester's first major league complete game. And what a way to do it."You don't feel tired in that situation. You've got so much adrenaline going," he said. "I'm sure it will hit me in the morning."

Lester (3-2) allowed just two baserunners, walking Billy Butler in the second inning and Esteban German to open the ninth; he also had an error when he threw away a pickoff attempt.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 06:48:44 PM »
Piazza retires after 16-year careerby Associated PressUpdated: May 20, 2008, 5:18 PM EST83 comments add this Mike Piazza is retiring from baseball following a 16-season career in which he became one of the top-hitting catchers in history.
"After discussing my options with my wife, family and agent, I felt it was time to start a new chapter in my life," he said in a statement released Tuesday by his agent, Dan Lozano. "It has been an amazing journey ... So today, I walk away with no regrets.

"I knew this day was coming, and over the last two years I started to make my peace with it. I gave it my all and left everything on the field."

The 39-year-old Piazza batted .275 with eight homers and 44 RBIs as a designated hitter for Oakland last season, became a free agent and did not re-sign. He was not available to discuss his decision, according to Josh Goldberg, a spokesman for Lozano.

Taken by the Los Angeles Dodgers on the 62nd round of the 1988 amateur draft, Piazza became a 12-time All-Star, making the NL team 10 consecutive times starting in 1993.

"He was one of those hitters who could change the game with one swing. He was certainly the greatest-hitting catcher of our time, and arguably of all time," said Atlanta pitcher Tom Glavine, Piazza's former teammate on the New York Mets.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:16:43 PM »
Lester tosses 18th Red Sox no-hitterby Associated PressUpdated: May 19, 2008, 10:07 PM EST62 comments add this Jon Lester has survived cancer and pitched a World Series clincher for the Boston Red Sox.
Now he can add a no-hitter to his already amazing list of accomplishments.

The 24-year-old lefty shut down Kansas City 7-0 Monday night for the first no-hitter in the majors since Red Sox rookie Clay Buchholz threw one last September.

It was Lester's first major league complete game. And what a way to do it."You don't feel tired in that situation. You've got so much adrenaline going," he said. "I'm sure it will hit me in the morning."

Lester (3-2) allowed just two baserunners, walking Billy Butler in the second inning and Esteban German to open the ninth; he also had an error when he threw away a pickoff attempt.

i was real happy for the man when i see it

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 09:14:26 PM »
i does be happy anytime yankees lose.

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2008, 09:49:03 PM »
Yankees jes get blow out tonight 11 - 2 (can't remember the team).  Marlins leading the NL...can't see I am not suprise seeing how they perform during exhibition but what's up with Detroit????
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:52:15 AM »
Yankees jes get blow out tonight 11 - 2 (can't remember the team).  Marlins leading the NL...can't see I am not suprise seeing how they perform during exhibition but what's up with Detroit????
baltimore,they get it 12-2

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 09:59:01 PM »
Ex-MLB pitcher Gonzalez killed by lightningby Associated PressUpdated: May 26, 2008, 10:33 PM ESTadd this Former major league pitcher Geremi Gonzalez, who won 11 games for the Chicago Cubs in 1997, was killed by a lightning strike in his native Venezuela on Sunday. He was 33.

Emergency management official Herman Bracho said Monday that Gonzalez was struck by lightning at a beach.

Gonzalez pitched for five major league teams from 1997-06. The right-hander appeared in 131 games with 83 starts, compiling a 30-35 record.

Gonzalez also played for the Tampa Bay Rays, Boston Red Sox, New York Mets and Milwaukee Brewers. He made a combined 24 appearances for the Mets and Brewers in his final major league season in 2006.

Gonzalez played for current Cubs manager Lou Piniella in Tampa Bay and was on the mound when Sammy Sosa's corked bat exploded in a game at Wrigley Field on June 3, 2003.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 09:45:04 PM »
Manny cements his place in history
Ramirez the 24th player to record 500 home runs
BALTIMORE -- Before Saturday night's game, Manny Ramirez was joking around with virtually everyone he encountered. So, presumably, he was only kidding when he said that home run No. 500 would be an inside-the-parker.
Make no mistake about it: When Ramirez became the 24th player in Major League history to reach that lofty milestone, it was no inside job.

Ramirez got every bit of an 82-mph, first-pitch offering from former teammate Chad Bradford and sent it soaring high and far into the Baltimore night. The 410-foot blast -- a solo job to right-center -- came with two outs in the top of the seventh inning, and it boosted Boston's lead to 5-3.

The Ramirez watch had been on for some time. By clubbing six homers in the season's first 19 games, Ramirez was at 496 on April 19.

But the last four took some time. Ramirez belted No. 499 on Tuesday night in Seattle before going homerless in his next two games.

With a large group of Red Sox fans at Camden Yards for this weekend series, Ramirez's historic homer elicited roars that felt like they were right out of Fenway Park.

The smash came one day after Ramirez's 36th birthday. It was his 11th career homer at Camden Yards and his 10th of the season.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »
Red Sox ship Manny to Dodgersby Ken Rosenthal, FOXSports.comUpdated: July 31, 2008, 6:36 PM EST2353 comments add this Manny won't be Manny for the Red Sox anymore.
Manny Ramirez was traded to the Dodgers in a three-team deadline-beating blockbuster Thursday, sending the disgruntled future Hall-of-Famer out of Boston right as the pennant race starts to heat up.

The Red Sox will receive Pirates outfielder Jason Bay in the deal, while Pittsburgh gets third baseman Andy LaRoche and Class-A right-hander Bryan Morris from the Dodgers and outfielder Brandon Moss and reliever Craig Hansen from the Red Sox.

The Red Sox will pay all of the approximately $7 million remaining on Ramirez's contract.

Ramirez should provide a major boost to the Dodgers' offense, but his arrival will add to the crowd in the Dodgers' outfield, which already includes Andre Ethier, Matt Kemp, Juan Pierre and Andruw Jones.

Moss, Hansen and LaRoche all have played in the majors. Morris, 21, was the Dodgers' first-round pick in 2006.

The deal could significantly tilt the balance of power toward the Dodgers in the hotly contested NL West race.
big lost fuh bosox.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2008, 02:36:56 AM »
Dat Manny move ketch big man by surprise.... but he wear out he welcome in Beantown doh... too many "Manny being Manny" moments.

Surprised to see that Ken Griffey Jr. went from Cincy to the ChiSox as well...didn't think he would ever play for another team.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2008, 09:39:46 AM »
man it's sad to see manny go... he had to though. oh how quickly things turned.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2008, 12:57:56 PM »
every time manny had issues with the Sox I used to wonder why the Mets don't make a move for the man. 

now he with the Dodgers.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2008, 01:42:34 PM »
every time manny had issues with the Sox I used to wonder why the Mets don't make a move for the man. 

now he with the Dodgers.

Nah... keep dat, we've had enough head cases in our relatively brief history.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2008, 02:51:37 PM »
head case or no head case, the man could hit.  and he even better in big games.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2008, 04:28:09 PM »
head case or no head case, the man could hit.  and he even better in big games.

Yeah... well we could use some help in left... but de cupboards down on de farm kinda bare right now thanks tuh de Santana trade.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2008, 08:33:16 PM »
last month in de regular season and de yankees cyar even make de wildcard.1st time in about 14 years.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 01, 2008, 06:31:44 AM »
no fans of MLB on de forum.my money on bosox.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 01, 2008, 10:46:58 AM »

I think it have a good few on the forum. I'm a Red Sox fan having gone to school in the area. I a bit nervous about their chances this year because of injuries but I juss happy with making the playoffs. 2 world series in 4 years does have you content. But the Red Sox can still win it all because Lester and Dice-K are still a good pitching duo and the offense is still one of the best in the league. And if Beckett get fit... pressure!

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2008, 11:17:35 AM »
baseball is not my favourite topic right now but any of the NL teams other than Philly could win as far as I'm concerned.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 01, 2008, 11:58:45 AM »
baseball is not my favourite topic right now but any of the NL teams other than Philly could win as far as I'm concerned.

i'm guessing mets fan?

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2008, 12:51:12 PM »

I think it have a good few on the forum. I'm a Red Sox fan having gone to school in the area. I a bit nervous about their chances this year because of injuries but I juss happy with making the playoffs. 2 world series in 4 years does have you content. But the Red Sox can still win it all because Lester and Dice-K are still a good pitching duo and the offense is still one of the best in the league. And if Beckett get fit... pressure!
beckett was onfire last season.they manhandle de angels this season so i eh too worried.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2008, 10:03:38 PM »

i'm guessing mets fan?

let's not talk about it.

LA beat chicago tonight.  I think I backing the winner of that series to go all the way.  Manny is my boy and I was in Chicago earlier this year and I have to say that them cubs fans really deserve a championship.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2008, 06:16:05 AM »

Lol... boy yuh telling me?

Only thing is I kinda saw it coming, with that patchwork pitching staff we have and de bullpen in ah mess...  this ent hurt half as last year.  Ah still ent forgive Glavine yet.

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2008, 10:28:37 AM »
bosox up 2 nil against de angels.

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2008, 10:44:50 AM »
bosox up 2 nil against de angels.

yeah good times  :beermug: hopefully we can close it out with commander kickass josh beckett on the mound in game 3

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2008, 10:17:10 AM »
lou pinella and co. is eliminated in 3 games.that was ah damn good move in gettin manny.he earnin he money fuh torre.

1]; } ?>