April 24, 2024, 01:28:13 PM

Author Topic: U-17 Women @ Costa Rica Int'l Tourny (3-12 Apr 2008)  (Read 7402 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
U-17 Women @ Costa Rica Int'l Tourny (3-12 Apr 2008)
« on: April 03, 2008, 11:23:18 AM »
Soca Princesses off to Costa Rica.
By: Ian Prescott (Express).

Thursday, April 3rd 2008

AFTER recently defeating Suriname, Grenada and St Kitts and Nevis to capture Group B of the Caribbean qualifying series, Trinidad and Tobago's under-17 women's football team leave tonight for Costa Rica where they will play in an eight-team tournament featuring the host nation, Honduras and Chile.

The junior Soca Princesses are using the tournament to prepare for the CONCACAF Final Round of qualification for the 2008 FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup. In July, T&T host the CONCACAF Final Round, a tournament involving the home team, Jamaica, Puerto Rico, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Canada, Mexico and the United States. The top three teams will qualify for the inaugural FIFA U-17 Women's World Cup, in New Zealand.

National coach Marlon Charles heads the contingent to Costa Rica and feels that the tournament will give his girls the opportunity to get much needed exposure to tougher competition.

"Mexico was originally due to compete in the tournament, but when they pulled out, the organiser immediately thought of us," Charles said. "Jamaal (Shabazz) got the e-mail and immediately contacted Jack Warner telling him this would be an excellent tournament for us to play in. I could not believe it, because I was preparing to go to Mexico with the senior team for the Olympic qualifiers. But once I saw this chance to give these girls some quality exposure, I decided I was going to Costa Rica instead.

"I won't be taking Karyn (Forbes)," Charles continued, "because she has some school issues to work out. I rather she does it now than later when we really need her. Besides, I already know what she can do. We will leave with 17 local players, including a few new ones who are getting a chance with the team, and we will be joined by four foreign-based players. They have been recommended as high quality players and we want to look at them with a view of strengthening the team for the final round of qualifiers."

The national women's coach said he is glad for the opportunity to look at two countries that will play in the CONCACAF series-the Americans and Costa Rica. The Americans are carrying four teams, from which they will select their final squad for the CONCACAF series.

The Costa Rica tour comes just two weeks after the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (T&TFF), through its special adviser Jack Warner, promised to pay more attention to women's football. Already, the senior national women's team have benefitted, by having a week-long camp ahead of the Olympic qualifiers. Charles is elated at the recent opportunities.

"We (the under-17s) are guaranteed to have at least eight matches, and for us that is a rare thing. We usually don't get to play matches before a tournament. I expect the girls to compete and also perform well."

CELEBRATION: Trinidad and Tobago's under-17 women's football team celebrate after winning the 2008 FIFA Under-17 Women's World Cup Caribbean Zone B qualification series, here in T&T, in February. -Photo: Anisto Alves

http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/story.asp?story_id=3272

Schedule against US teams:

Thursday, April 3
Teams arrive in San Jose, Costa Rica

Friday, April 4
8:30 – 10:15 a.m.          Region I and Region III – Training at Proy Gol
10:15 a.m. – Noon         Region II and Region IV – Training at Proy Gol
5:15 p.m.                      Opening Ceremony at Inbioparque Amphitheater
6:15 p.m.                      Welcome dinner for all teams

Saturday, April 5
10:00 a.m.                    Region II vs. Chile (Proy Gol 1)
10:00 a.m.                    Region III vs. Trinidad & Tobago (Proy Gol 2)
3:00 p.m.                      Region I vs. Costa Rica (Proy Gol 1)
3:00 p.m.                      Region IV vs. Honduras (Proy Gol 2)
4:00 – 5:30 pm.             Region III Training
7:00 p.m.                      Cultural Night and Dinner

Sunday, April 6
10:00 a.m.                    Region III vs. Honduras (Proy Gol 1)
10:00 a.m.                    Region II vs. Trinidad & Tobago (Proy Gol 2)
3:00 p.m.                      Region I vs. Chile (Proy Gol 1)
3:00 p.m.                      Region IV vs. Costa Rica (Proy Gol 2)

Monday, April 7
Teams depart for San Carlos
? - ?                              Chile U-20 vs. Costa Rica U-17
2:30 – 4:30 p.m.            Region II and Region IV – Training at Tilajari
4:45 – 6:45 p.m.            Region I and Region III – Training at Tilajari

Tuesday, April 8
? - ?                             Costa Rica vs. Trinidad & Tobago
? - ?                             Honduras U-20 vs. Chile U-20
8:30 – 10:00 a.m.          Region I and Region III – Training at Tilajari
10:15 – 11:45 a.m.        Region II and Region IV – Training at Tilajari
2:15 p.m.                      Canopy Tour
4:45 p.m.                      Hot Springs

Wednesday, April 9
Teams depart for San Jose
10:00 a.m.                    Chile U-20 vs. Trinidad & Tobago
? - ?                             Costa Rica U-17 vs. Honduras U-20
3:30 – 5:30 p.m.           Region I, Region II and Region III – Training at Proy Gol
4:00 – 6:00 p.m.           Region IV Friendly Game

Thursday, April 10
9:45 - 11:45 a.m.          Region III Training
10:00 a.m.                    Region I vs. Trinidad & Tobago (Proy Gol 1)
10:00 a.m.                    Region II vs. Honduras (Proy Gol 2)
3:00 p.m.                      Region III vs. Costa Rica (Proy Gol 1)
3:00 p.m.                      Region IV vs. Chile (Proy Gol 2)
3:30 - 5:30 p.m.            Region I Training

Friday, April 11
10:00 a.m.                    Region III vs. Chile (Proy Gol 1)
10:00 a.m.                    Region IV vs. Trinidad & Tobago (Proy Gol 2)
3:00 p.m.                      Region I vs. Honduras (Proy Gol 1)
3:00 p.m.                      Region II vs. Costa Rica (Proy Gol 2)
7:00 p.m.                      Farewell Dinner with Chile, Honduras, Trinidad & Tobago and Costa Rica

Saturday, April 12
Teams depart

Note: This is just the US contingent's schedule. I'm trying to find the balance of T&T's schedule.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2008, 10:09:42 PM by E-man »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: U-17 Women @ Costa Rica Int'l Tourny (3-12 Apr 2008)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008, 04:49:59 PM »
Well, after seeing the score against the seniors last night, the realise that all the women's teams need plenty practice games.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 05:12:02 PM »
4 US teams ... amazing

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 05:15:37 PM »
Not surprised. They have a huge talent pool.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »
No doubt. I'm stunned by the $$$ moving the undertaking. Quite practical.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:37:22 PM »
The US Federation gets lots of money from their sponsors. Remember it is the sponsor who help build the Academy at Bredenton.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 07:23:47 PM »
The US Federation gets lots of money from their sponsors. Remember it is the sponsor who help build the Academy at Bredenton.
That's new's to me. I always thought that was private enterprise at work, and the USSF is a client.
Live large and prosper!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 07:36:33 PM »
Forbes to play pivotal role in National Under 17 team
Tobago News

Friday, April 4th 2008

Karyn Forbes, Signal Hill Comprehensive and Tobago's influential midfielder was among an 18-member National Under 17 Women Football squad that left for Costa Rica, yesterday (Thursday) to participate in an international tournament.

Forbes is the lone Tobago player in the squad while Corbin Cooper, Tobago's Bella Forma Angels head coach is one of the assistant coaches for the team whose head coach is Marlon Charles.

The team is using the tournament as part of their preparation for the upcoming CONCACAF qualifier to be hosted in Trinidad and Tobago from July 17-26. Eight teams including Mexico, USA, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Canada, Jamaica and Puerto Rico will be in the fray.

They will be divided into two groups of four with one Group being hosted at the Dwight Yorke Stadium.

The top three teams from the tournament will advance to the inaugural FIFA Women Under 17 World Cup Championships in New Zealand.

The National team had an easy passage from the preliminary round among Caribbean teams, topping their Group by scoring 17 goals and keeping a clean citadel.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 07:47:10 PM »
Have anyone seen the regions? Our U-17 will do well to beat any of these regions. The regions are compromised of the following:

Region I - Connecticut, Delaware Maine Maryland, Massachusetts, New Hamshire, New Jersey, New York West, New York East, Pennsylvania West, Pennsylvannia East, Rhode Island, Vermont, West Virginia, Virginia.

Region II- Illinios, Iowa, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Minnesota, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio North, Ohio South, South Dakota, Wisconsin.

Region III - Alabama, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Texas North, Texas South, Mississippi, Arkansas, Louisiana, Florida, Oklahoma, Tennessee.

Region IIII - Alaska, Arizona, California North, California South, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Oregon, Utah, Washington, Wyoming.

All state teams meet in the early summer at region camp at their respective region and coaches from the region staff look at the states play each other and then choose the best to play in pool games. At the end of the camp the best players are named to the region team; they then compete against each other and players from these games are invited into national residency. This is the basic way.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 07:53:10 PM »
Doc,
      When I say sponsors, I mean private enterprise. Coke, Budweiser, Chiquita Banana, Mars, Nike etc

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:01:13 PM »
looking 4 we gyuls to land some schols
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »

This team special.
I will go to watch them play.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2008, 05:01:17 PM »
Have anyone seen the regions? Our U-17 will do well to beat any of these regions.

I watchd the US U-17 pool train in Florida in January; saw a couple decent players but nothing incredible. I haven't see our 17's but have heard lot of good things. I know one of the players from NC and she is quality. I suspect that once the US finishes this tournament they will finalize their pool for the tournament in July. They've already toured Brazil and Australia.
Region I and IV are very strong.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008, 10:57:47 AM »
Some results:

April 5, 2008
USA Region I vs. Costa Rica U-17, 3:1
USA Region II vs. Chile U-20, 0:4
USA Region III vs. Trinidad and Tobago U-17, 9:1
USA Region IV vs. Honduras U-20, 8:0

April 6, 2008
U.S.A. Region I vs. Chile U-20, 0:1
U.S.A. Region II vs. Trinidad & Tobago U-17, 10:0
U.S.A. Region III vs. Honduras U-20, 1:0
U.S.A. Region IV vs. Costa Rica U-17, 1:0

By the way the games are only 80 minutes long.

Offline Diambars

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008, 11:11:23 AM »
this is ridiculous!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2008, 11:38:41 AM »
them score right ? if so them  girls eh ready warner better take back that bid to host some fifa women  under 17 or under 20 tournament
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 11:41:44 AM by Trini _2010 »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2008, 09:39:52 PM »
I tell alyuh them girls not ready. Our team technique, tactical awareness and athletic ability is no where in comparison to the US players. Club teams will beat this team.
The excuse will be the girls and them young. Granted, they still nowhere technically. We destroy all those shite Caribbean side and that's it. It is the same thing with the older Women's team.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2008, 10:13:44 PM »
Reality bites. In a way I am glad we got a proper spanking.  It shows  our entire women's program need an infusion of resources to get more and better coaching and match prctice. No offense to the girls. You have a lot of work to do indidvidually and collectively. Go Princesses!!!!! God Bless.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2008, 12:21:40 AM »
Some results:

April 5, 2008
USA Region III vs. Trinidad and Tobago U-17, 9:1
USA Region IV vs. Honduras U-20, 8:0

April 6, 2008
U.S.A. Region II vs. Trinidad & Tobago U-17, 10:0

By the way....Who went to bat first  ??
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2008, 09:46:38 PM »
And the TTFF want the government to sponsor the  hosting of  the U-17 WC for women.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »
Chile U-20 2:0 Costa Rica U-17 yesterday

T&T played Costa Rica today and will play Chile U-20 tomorrow
They possibly played Honduras U-20 Monday - I'm guessing because it would fit the schedule - but not confirmed

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2008, 08:41:31 AM »
The girls will do well just to hang with that schedule. The Americans will be okay with that because they play football right through. Our girls probably play once or twice a week for 3-4 months.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2008, 10:33:25 AM »
Reality bites. In a way I am glad we got a proper spanking.  It shows  our entire women's program need an infusion of resources to get more and better coaching and match prctice. No offense to the girls. You have a lot of work to do indidvidually and collectively. Go Princesses!!!!! God Bless.

it's one thing, knowing/having all the technical knowledge in the world, and even the ability to transfer that knowledge. However, It's quite another, recognizing where your SELECTED charges should be as individuals and as a group...my past observation of our present senior team, when they were at the U17 level, gave me the impression, that the present coaches though quite knowledgable technically and in the local environment, are not aware or familiar with the levels and ability of their opponents....but what was most detrimental to all, said coaches were not open to suggestions at the time of what may help develop the girls.
1. Because it was coming from a complete stranger.
2. Because many could never accomplish the same level of of certification as those present coaches.
3. Because of it's impracticality, it was not in those coaches plans.

what was not considered, at that time, was the stranger, had at one time, had the experience of coaching 5 Canadian National players and 8 regional players, and did have a fair knowledge of what the minimum  levels should be, not just what should be the ideal level to be attained.

That was over 3 yrs ago, so tho I'm sure that the women program would always have to face this reality, I'm not sure those coaches with the knowledge, would come to terms with theirs...Sometimes booksense is not enough, no sense having Einstein(bright), when just ah Mcgyver(fixit) is need...
Not all the fault of the coaches, but admin as well.

nb: organized women soccer starts at age 4/5 here. nb: at that age there are over 60 leagues - house leagues with aproxx. 50 participants around this city alone.... and in my area(burb), coaches are now required to be certified...so as far as the ones who still play at 17 yrs, where do you think there level would be , compared to our pool?

add: here is a new programme my area will be trying this year. I'm anxious to see how it's accepted as well as results.
http://www.soccerpointeclaire.com/News/2008/PC-PR-U6U7DevProg-25Jan08-FINAL-ENG.html
I myself have not yet mad the decision to be an active coach- though I would be doing intercity, but with 2 of my kids participating I will make note of the methodolgy and implementation....any comments ?

« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 12:11:58 PM by maxg »

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2008, 10:59:25 AM »
Chile is on a roll:

Monday's game of Honduras vs T&T got postponed due to rain.

Yesterday Chile U-20 won 4-1 vs Honduras U-20.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2008, 11:04:18 AM »

it's one thing, knowing/having all the technical knowledge in the world, and even the ability to transfer that knowledge. However, It's quite another, recognizing where your SELECTED charges should be as individuals and as a group...my past observation of our present senior team, when they were at the U17 level, gave me the impression, that the present coaches though quite knowledgable technically and in the local environment, are not aware or familiar with the levels and ability of their opponents....but what was most detrimental to all, said coaches were not open to suggestions at the time of what may help develop the girls.
1. Because it was coming from a complete stranger.
2. Because many could never accomplish the same level of of certification as those present coaches.
3. Because of it's impracticality, it was not in those coaches plans.

what was not considered, at that time, was the stranger, had at one time, had the experience of coaching 5 Canadian National players and 8 regional players, and did have a fair knowledge of what the minimum  levels should be, not just what should be the ideal level to be attained.

That was over 3 yrs ago, so tho I'm sure that the women program would always have to face this reality, I'm not sure those coaches with the knowledge, would come to terms with theirs...Sometimes booksense is not enough, no sense having Einstein(bright), when just ah Mcgyver(fixit) is need...
Not all the fault of the coaches, but admin as well.

nb: organized women soccer starts at age 4/5 here. nb: at that age there are over 60 leagues - house leagues with aproxx. 50 participants around this city alone.... and in my area(burb), coaches are now required to be certified...so as far as the ones who still play at 17 yrs, where do you think there level would be , compared to our pool?

maxg you are so right  in giving some assistance it is not received well when it come to coaching in T&T. It's a know-it-all mentality. Again look at these highligts and tell me if these girls should be on a National team. I would not pick them for my U-14....seriously.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=aMxiiKdjtcg

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2008, 01:21:47 PM »
I would not pick them for my U-14....seriously.

are you saying there are better choices?
we have to face the reality of where the game is in the country and the pool we have now.  I proud of the girls and what they doing for the sport at this stage. I won't even bother compare us to the top countries in the world...learn from but not compare.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2008, 01:29:33 PM »
ok so the american girls play at a higher level to us..

By all means its expected; they are light years ahead of us in terms of preparation and facilities and where the sport of women's soccer is in terms of development.

Women's soccer is still pretty young in Trinidad. What were you'll really expecting?

I used to drive past these girls training at UWI every saturday morning into midday in the blazing hot sun telling myself I myself woudn't get ketch doing that. I find the way some people throwing them under the bus is doing them a serious disservice.

I have seen marked improvement in the quality of the team. Its just that the competition has had a big headstart on them. You can't make orange juice with apples.

Some of you guys need to temper your expectations and give the sport time to develop in Trinidad.

We'll get there, just not tomorrow.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2008, 02:53:59 PM »

we have to face the reality of where the game is in the country and the pool we have now.  I proud of the girls and what they doing for the sport at this stage. I won't even bother compare us to the top countries in the world...learn from but not compare.

That's the thing....I am not saying there are better options, but should we have a National team when players at not at the level? What about T&T developmental academy or something like that.  We should be focussed on development and not achievemnet right now. Flying to Costa Rica with player who are still learning to pass the ball properly is not development, it's time wasting. You are puttin g players in asituation where they will develop bad habits which in the long run will hurt us. Look at the women's team good players but lacking. This is so because the same recipe ha sbeen used since the 1980s with the forming of women's national. One would think you will either change the recipe or the cook...maybe even both.

I have been following women's soccer for a while now (attending local game, national training), and it's gotten no better. It the same thing. We have a few good players but that's it.  Don't think that I am blaming thegirls, because if they select me to play against England on June 1st, I running out in full gears.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2008, 02:58:27 PM »

That's the thing....I am not saying there are better options, but should we have a National team when players at not at the level? What about T&T developmental academy or something like that.  We should be focussed on development and not achievemnet right now. Flying to Costa Rica with player who are still learning to pass the ball properly is not development, it's time wasting. You are puttin g players in asituation where they will develop bad habits which in the long run will hurt us. Look at the women's team good players but lacking. This is so because the same recipe ha sbeen used since the 1980s with the forming of women's national. One would think you will either change the recipe or the cook...maybe even both.

I have been following women's soccer for a while now (attending local game, national training), and it's gotten no better. It the same thing. We have a few good players but that's it.  Don't think that I am blaming thegirls, because if they select me to play against England on June 1st, I running out in full gears.

Lets just say they did adopt your revolutionary suggestions..

Why then would any girl in her right mind play the sport of football in Trinidad, if she knows she'll never even see an opportunity to participate in an international tournament ???

Is a damn good thing you hold no influence in the administration of the sport in the country yes.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2008, 03:05:08 PM »
Today's result:

Chile U-20 vs. Trinidad & Tobago U-17, 10:0

Rojitas Sub20 Se Coronan Campeonas en Costa Rica
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008, 03:12:07 PM by E-man »

1]; } ?>