April 29, 2024, 01:35:08 AM

Author Topic: RK looks to build next Season  (Read 6647 times)

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
Re: RK looks to build next Season
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
TBH I haven't a clue, I know what we need but who never.

Unless the players are quite high profile and I see a lot of them I couldn't really say.  Watching a game or a team is totally different from watching a player for a position.

We need 2/3 defenders who can defend and pass

We need a 2/3 of midfielders  a ballwinner / holding  another central and 1 for right as back up / compettion for Carlo and someone new to play along with KJ.

Its a lot easier to say no to players for the reasons above age not did it etc.  I suspect a few will be foriegn because there isn't that much going that are British and much of a muchness and the decent ones wont be let go. 

I will start to give it some serious thought when we are safe just for you, in fact I will make a point of starting a Transfer Rumour thread in the summer so we can argue to our hearts content hows that?

I did think the Mexican Callisto? at man City who is on loan looks a good player hasn't played much due to doing his shoulder but looks fast works and can beat a man but I am unsure whether Man City will follow up.

cool...

I think i would add a creative midfielder and a good forward to your suggestions..

Castillo is a good call.  Great player but I can't see him coming to Sunderland but who knows.

lets hope RK wises up and makes some shrewd buys.. He could start by signing some more soca warriors.   ;)

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2008, 04:45:15 PM »
lets hope RK wises up and makes some shrewd buys.. He could start by signing some more soca warriors.   ;)

ah know you was joking but a lot of truth is said in jest. Which Soca Warriors, for you are/would be EPL level operational by next summer? If was your money, who would you gamble on playing which position?
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2008, 06:09:03 PM »
Keane needs a goalscorer..  one to play with KJ..

oops i forgot..He had a goalscorer and sold him...oh well..
What, yuh mean de one he had to sell to get KJ?

You have to forgive him. Stick break in he ears, but he mean well...

Or yuh mean break stick in he ears?  Sorry couldn't resist that :rotfl: :rotfl:
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »
lets hope RK wises up and makes some shrewd buys.. He could start by signing some more soca warriors.   ;)

ah know you was joking but a lot of truth is said in jest. Which Soca Warriors, for you are/would be EPL level operational by next summer? If was your money, who would you gamble on playing which position?

Hayden tinto on de right............that lil fella have pace tuh burn. He is our equivalent of Aaron Lennon.  

A fit Cornel Glen!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

giggsy11

« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2008, 07:15:27 PM »
KND, you have to be joking!!

Nah, change dat tuh 'yuh have to be smokin!!"

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
  • Lifes a bitch, then you marry one
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2008, 01:30:03 AM »
What Keane should really do is take some of that money and hire a better physical training staff... a healthier squad next season would be worth far more to Sunderland than some mediocre signing in the summer.
At least lets get a players name before the slagging starts
the term "mediocre" was judging from his hit-or-miss history with signings thus far; but i did forget how many big players have (unfortunately) blanked him time and time again.

I did think the Mexican Callisto? at man City who is on loan looks a good player hasn't played much due to doing his shoulder but looks fast works and can beat a man but I am unsure whether Man City will follow up.
You must be referring to Nery Castillo, the Mexican that ripped up Copa America last Summer.

Yes that is the guy, sorry about the spelling.  He discolated his shoulder first match for Man City and was out a long time, he has only played a couple of games and looked like the luck wasn't with him, but he has pace, works hard and can obviously play.  Him not scoring has probably meant for most he has dropped under most peoples radar.  But to me he looks a player.

I am not sure whether we would have a chance or not, he paid half the loan fee himself to get out of Russia so if anybody is willing to pay his transfer fee I would imagine they would have a chance.  Unfortunately given what I said above he's probably dropped under Sunderlands radar aswell.

I take it he is a decent player then?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2008, 02:55:53 AM »
Yes that is the guy, sorry about the spelling.  He discolated his shoulder first match for Man City and was out a long time, he has only played a couple of games and looked like the luck wasn't with him, but he has pace, works hard and can obviously play.  Him not scoring has probably meant for most he has dropped under most peoples radar.  But to me he looks a player.

I am not sure whether we would have a chance or not, he paid half the loan fee himself to get out of Russia so if anybody is willing to pay his transfer fee I would imagine they would have a chance.  Unfortunately given what I said above he's probably dropped under Sunderlands radar aswell.

Excellent player IMO. He has flair as well as speed, a combination that Sunderland are sorely lacking in central midfield. And if i recall he is relatively young.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2008, 03:20:29 AM »

Excellent player IMO. He has flair as well as speed, a combination that Sunderland are sorely lacking in central midfield. And if i recall he is relatively young.

Only 23 according to soccerdb I thought he was a forward, but the couple of games I have seen, he has the useful knack of finding space for himself, although didn't make the most of the opportunity.

I think Shaktar want a lot of money for him, City bought Elano from the same club.  It would really depend if City want to keep him and if Sunderland have watched him.  But from what I have seen, he's the type I would like to see at the club.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2008, 06:36:07 PM »
from the possible relegated clubs he could either buy:
Kenny Miller from Derby
Steinson from Bolton
Bullard, Simon Davies and Volz from Fulham
Stephen Kelly from Birmingham

and i sure it go have players available from Spurs, West Ham and Liverpool this summer.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 05, 2008, 12:14:56 AM »

Yes, Kenny Miller from Derby would be a good addition. In the Derby games that I have seen he looks good. Imagine if Derby had spent the money and gotten Jones (the asking price at that time was 5m).   If RK looks at possible available players from the Spanish  league  then the Nigerian striker Uche (Getafe) would be a good fit.

Offline kev

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 05, 2008, 02:28:50 AM »
After a decent debate this turns up so make of it what you will, if we survive should be an interesting summer.

http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/sport/news/display.var.2173965.0.keanes_eyes_focused_on_european_talent.php

Keane's eyes focused on European Talent
[/color][/size]

HIS side might be 14th in the Premier League table, but Sunderland boss Roy Keane last night claimed he would be targeting Europe in the final five weeks of the season.

If that sounds like an incongruous remark, the club's supporters will be pleased to know the Irishman has not lost his head.

A UEFA Cup campaign might not be in the offing, but after two years of exploiting the domestic transfer market, Keane is hoping to attract some of Europe's leading lights when he splashes the cash in the summer.
advertisement

Earlier this week, the Black Cats boss claimed he would need "£40m or £50m" to take Sunderland to the "next level" provided they secure their Premier League status in the final six matches of the current campaign.

In the past, the majority of that money would have been invested in British-based players, but having created a new scouting network under the control of former Manchester United scout Mick Brown last March, Keane is hoping to look further afield this summer.

His two previous forays into the foreign market brought Rade Prica and Jean-Yves M'Voto to the Stadium of Light, and with Brown having already recommended a number of potential new recruits, the Sunderland manager is ready to add to his club's overseas ranks once the Black Cats' top-flight future is secured.

"Our scouting network is a lot better than it was last summer, particularly in Europe, and hopefully we'll be able to take advantage of that," said Keane, who will take his side to Fulham this afternoon looking to increase the seven-point gap that currently separates them from the bottom three. "There have been a lot of quotes about money this week, but we need to get over the finishing line and then I'll sit down with Niall (Quinn) and the board to see where we can go. I've had great support in the past and I wouldn't expect that to change.

"It's got to be all or nothing, and provided we stay in the Premier League, I think we'll be in a good position to kick on. Our scouting network has improved massively and I can't over-emphasise how important that is. It will put us in a stronger position to attract a certain type of player.

"Mick's getting people around him and he's out there in Europe watching a number of different players. I might only speak to him a couple of times a week, but I get the feedback I need and we're already identifying potential targets."

Keane identified Sunderland's limited scouting network as a major weakness during his early months at the club, and Brown's appointment was the catalyst in a radical overhaul that has seen more than half-a-dozen full-time and part-time representatives stationed throughout Europe and Ireland. A tie-up with John Barnes' Digicel Kick-Start Clinics has also guaranteed the Black Cats a useful foothold in the Caribbean.

Brown, a former scout at both Blackburn and Manchester United, was integral in Keane's move to Old Trafford and Cristiano Ronaldo's transfer to England, and is likely to have a major say in Sunderland's dealings this summer.

Keane insists he will personally watch any European players the Black Cats attempt to purchase, but the composition of his initial shortlist will be heavily influenced by Brown's instruction.

"Mick's role is vital," said the Irishman. "We've appointed a few people under him and we're making progress, but trust me, some of the big clubs have 50 or 60 scouting staff all over the world.

"I don't want to be critical of the people here before me because the scouting network is down to finances and the money probably wasn't in place before the new owners came in. But you're not going to get experienced men travelling around Europe for peanuts. You have to look after your scouts and then they'll look after you.

"Mick's got great experience in all of that. He's working with one or two other people now, and I spoke to him last week and he's already done the homework on some of our possible targets. He's got vast knowledge and that's important to us."

Brown is booked in to watch a European fixture this weekend, but Keane's attention will be exclusively focused on Sunderland's fixture at Craven Cottage.

Last weekend's last-gasp win over West Ham provided some valuable breathing space at the foot of the table, but with Newcastle and Arsenal still to play this season, the Black Cats can ill afford to slip up against one of their leading relegation rivals on the banks of the Thames.

"There's a hell of a long way to go yet," said Keane, who took his squad on a warm-weather training trip to Spain at the start of the week.

"At four o'clock last weekend, with the way things were going, it was starting to look a bit bleak for us.

"The fact that it altered so quickly just proves how things can change in football.

"There'll be plenty more twists and turns before the end of the season. Ups and downs are all part of the game and it would be stupid to think they're finished yet."

Keane experienced the fickle hand of fate on Thursday, when Dwight Yorke joined Dickson Etuhu and Darren Ward on the injury list.

The Trinidad & Tobago international twisted his knee in training and has been ruled out of today's game.

"He was trying a flick and that doesn't suit him," said Keane.

Ross Wallace will also play no part at Fulham, but after missing more than three months with a serious knee problem, the transfer-listed midfielder is close to a return.

"I'm training, feeling good and looking forward to playing a game," said Wallace. "We don't have a reserve (league) game until the week after next and I hope to play in that one, if not before."

2:03am today

giggsy11

« Reply #41 on: April 05, 2008, 06:29:17 AM »
Ah tink Bendtner could be had. He should also go for young players not the recycled types.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 05, 2008, 06:46:36 AM »
Trinidadian players worthy of a look..

- Darryl Roberts
- Lester Peltier
- Khaleem Hyland
- Jason Scotland

1]; } ?>